GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Thanks for the tip. No, it doesn't do it when not in the dock. It actually calmed down and stopped after a while. Not gonna worry about it, worst comes to worst I'll just not use the dock.

I found a really fantastic app that forwards texts to your gamestick. It's called mighty text. I just need to order a wireless keyboard and mouse now and I won't have to use my phone again until I leave the house :p

We're getting very close to having a working 1.2ghz Android 4.2.  Will update as soon as we can get the proper .ko files (wifi, bluetooth) working with it.

Assuming everything works correctly you can expect a CFW 1.5 that will run at 1.2ghz running Jellybean 4.2 instead of the current 4.1.2 and Kodi will be packed in instead of spmc.

Teaser :D
Screenshot%202015-02-27%2000.43.24.png

Rad! So I bought one of those little keyboard mice combo deals from Amazon for $15. Hopefully it'll do what I want it to.

Is it safe to leave this thing powered on a long time? There isn't a shutdown like a pc, it's like a phone where I need to use the button...so is it safe to leave on for days at a time like a phone? I'm pretty much using it like you would a second larger stationary phone while I'm in the house.

We're getting very close to having a working 1.2ghz Android 4.2. Will update as soon as we can get the proper .ko files (wifi, bluetooth) working with it.

Assuming everything works correctly you can expect a CFW 1.5 that will run at 1.2ghz running Jellybean 4.2 instead of the current 4.1.2 and Kodi will be packed in instead of spmc.
Awesome, can't wait to try it out. Are yall going to have ethernet on the dock working?

Thanks agian zebular I been buying this up and trading them to people for other fun toys lol. Traded  stick for a Sigelei 30 watt mini mech mode and a kangertech mini tank brand new so I can quick smoking lol. about 100+ value

Ha! You can't use Readyboost on the Winbook 7... Readyboost isn't available on PC/Tablets with SSD/Flash memory as the boot device. Doh! Maybe changing my Pagefile to 3072 instead would work okay? I was playing SSFIV and Double Dragon Neon (Steam) last night on my Winbook w/ a USB hub plugged in with the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver & USB Storage device plugged in with no problems. If they still have more next time I get paid, I might grab a couple more for the family.

Alright guys, so I have some news that you should be happy about. I got my GameStick running at 1.2ghz via another kernel. The bad news, since that kernel isn't built specifically for the GameStick wifi and bluetooth doesn't work for it BUT I'm talking with Shanti about it (waiting on him to get back to me) and from what I understand we should be able to enable wifi and bluetooth as modules onto this kernel! I'm close to being able to do it myself (even knowing jack shit about kernels) as it's basically just adding a couple lines of code to enable the modules!

If you want to play around with the 1.2ghz kernel now (but wifi and bluetooth won't work) you can get it from here and just flash it over top your already installed custom firmware.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934532871
Antutu Benchmark results of old kernel (984mhz) vs new 1.2ghz
20150222_042801.jpg
1.2ghz didn't notice it getting any hotter to be honest. Passed the several different stress tests I ran it through (geek bench 3, antutu) with no reboots are graphic artifacts.
We're getting very close to having a working 1.2ghz Android 4.2. Will update as soon as we can get the proper .ko files (wifi, bluetooth) working with it.

http://youtu.be/2aJeWHzpXNI
zebular, you are awesome! :D

I'm very excited to see the GameStick overclocked, especially if it can be done safely without cooling mods! :O

Looking at your heatsinks and USB fan, I'm sure you'll put it through hell before going to 1.5 GHz, so we can all safely upgrade :)

Can't wait for the next release!!! :)

zebular, you are awesome! :D

I'm very excited to see the GameStick overclocked, especially if it can be done safely without cooling mods! :O

Looking at your heatsinks and USB fan, I'm sure you'll put it through hell before going to 1.5 GHz, so we can all safely upgrade :)

Can't wait for the next release!!! :)
I have 2 sticks, I'll definitely be making sure it's a safe overclock. It's looking like 1.2ghz will be the max for now though.

I have 2 sticks, I'll definitely be making sure it's a safe overclock. It's looking like 1.2ghz will be the max for now though.
Will the 1.2 GHz overclock be safe with stock internals?

If not, I'm already looking at cheap heatsinks and fans on eBay :p

But stock internals would be nice, especially since I only have 1 GameStick :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be, I've ran several benchmarks and stress tests and it's never shut off.  I will say however that if you haven't already been using AC power you might have to with this firmware.  If I have anything more than a mouse plugged in it will now restart when running off usb power.  Makes sense though that it would need more power when running faster.

Ha! You can't use Readyboost on the Winbook 7... Readyboost isn't available on PC/Tablets with SSD/Flash memory as the boot device. Doh! Maybe changing my Pagefile to 3072 instead would work okay? I was playing SSFIV and Double Dragon Neon (Steam) last night on my Winbook w/ a USB hub plugged in with the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver & USB Storage device plugged in with no problems. If they still have more next time I get paid, I might grab a couple more for the family.
Yeah I found that out the hard way as well. Like you I set my page file to 4gb, it def made a difference as games that wouldn't run before now do.

It should be, I've ran several benchmarks and stress tests and it's never shut off. I will say however that if you haven't already been using AC power you might have to with this firmware. If I have anything more than a mouse plugged in it will now restart when running off usb power. Makes sense though that it would need more power when running faster.
Running off AC power is a small price to pay :)

Looking forward to the release! :D

It should be, I've ran several benchmarks and stress tests and it's never shut off. I will say however that if you haven't already been using AC power you might have to with this firmware. If I have anything more than a mouse plugged in it will now restart when running off usb power. Makes sense though that it would need more power when running faster.
they probably clocked it low in order to play nice with tv based usb power running dockless.

Is the overclock set to run continuously to 1.2?

Do you think we will we be able to underclock it using software like nofrillscpu? And also adjust the min and max w it? I would like to have the option for when Im out and I can underclock it so that it can feed of hdmi alone outside my house and also ajust the min when is just powered on in the desktop screen for example and it will also help w possible overheat issues.
Either way, you guys rock and want to thank you again for giving us the opportunity to enjoy your work :) it's appreciated.

Is the overclock set to run continuously to 1.2?

Do you think we will we be able to underclock it using software like nofrillscpu? And also adjust the min and max w it? I would like to have the option for when Im out and I can underclock it so that it can feed of hdmi alone outside my house and also ajust the min when is just powered on in the desktop screen for example and it will also help w possible overheat issues.
Either way, you guys rock and want to thank you again for giving us the opportunity to enjoy your work :) it's appreciated.
I believe the firmware Shanti is playing with (4.2) won't have to be forced to min-max 1.2ghz.

He's even fairly close to getting bluetooth working, once that's working correctly it will be released.

I believe the firmware Shanti is playing with (4.2) won't have to be forced to min-max 1.2ghz.

He's even fairly close to getting bluetooth working, once that's working correctly it will be released.
polls_quagmire_1138_305484_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Awesome work Zebular, thanks! You have to give Shanti the thread link so he/she can see our appreciation as well :)

Gamestop finally got my docks in stock for me. I now have 2 gamesticks with docks and am really happy with them. So glad I found this thread when I did. Thanks again for all the info and links guys :)

Anyone else experiencing massive stutter while playing video files? I thought it was because I was at 1080p, so I switched to 720p... not difference... then I thought maybe too much junk running in the background so I've been running a "process killer" to kill background running apps that I don't want hogging cpu/ram... no luck... tried playing the same files using different video players... nope... maybe it's a buffer issue with my external HDD? Guess I can try playing a video from another source... like a flash drive or sd card... just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so what if anything you did to correct it? Thanks.

Anyone else experiencing massive stutter while playing video files? I thought it was because I was at 1080p, so I switched to 720p... not difference... then I thought maybe too much junk running in the background so I've been running a "process killer" to kill background running apps that I don't want hogging cpu/ram... no luck... tried playing the same files using different video players... nope... maybe it's a buffer issue with my external HDD? Guess I can try playing a video from another source... like a flash drive or sd card... just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so what if anything you did to correct it? Thanks.
Cools be a bt connection, too many accessories connected or simply get a better player. I use mxplayer pro myself.

Kinda bummed. Using MXPlayer Pro here too. Seems to be my external HDD isn't keeping up with the videos... I've transferred a couple videos from the HDD to the Internal MicroSD card and the stuttering goes away... still have a few slight millisecond pauses (like once every 10 minutes or so maybe... but nothing like the problems I was having before). Guess I'll just have to use my 2TB HDD as storage and transfer files to the Internal MicroSD (still want to test the external SD slot and USB Flash drive...) to stop the video playback problems.

Keep the Gamestick alive! I think 1 of my 4 Gamesticks (for $30 a pop, I just had to put one on every TV in the house!) is either not up to speed or has too much going on... that's why my videos/music stutter when playing from the HDD. Tested it out on one of my other setups and they play fine... going to try reformatting that particular Gamestick and try again.

I hope others are still rocking their Gamesticks. I'd be interested in that overclocking or any new Firmware that improves this little stick even more than it already has.

Is there a written guide for this yet?

Or are the videos on the 1st post still the only option? 

I just got 2 of these bad boys at my local gamestop.. 

Let me know!

oNe

Still enjoying my gamesticks as well. I never would have known about tvmc/kodi without this thread. I just wish Kodi would fix it so that streams play fullscreen. Until then, I am still using the gotham 13.2 version.

The few of us that were actively working on the GS have severly slowed down on working with firmwares and such.  I've been knee deep in doing old game console repairs/upgrades.  Check out my channel if you're into that kinda thing.

This is a component mod I did on my SNES

https://youtu.be/cL2Fq5PvGmI

svideo-component.png

The few of us that were actively working on the GS have severly slowed down on working with firmwares and such. I've been knee deep in doing old game console repairs/upgrades. Check out my channel if you're into that kinda thing.

Nice!

Yeah, I've been watching your YouTube updates to see if there has been any GameStick progress.

Component mod looks nice! I looked into it myself a while back, but didn't feel it was worth it, since I only own a couple SNES games (and I've totally been spoiled by emulators :p).

The few of us that were actively working on the GS have severly slowed down on working with firmwares and such. I've been knee deep in doing old game console repairs/upgrades. Check out my channel if you're into that kinda thing.

I'm still using my stick too. Sad to hear that everyone has moved on but thanks so much for bringing the project to the point that you/everyone did and posting it here!

I'm still using my stick too. Sad to hear that everyone has moved on but thanks so much for bringing the project to the point that you/everyone did and posting it here!
Basically what it's come down to is that Shanti and myself (especially me) have a very basic understanding of porting drivers over from one Android build to another. He is using a 4.2 build and overclocked to 1.2ghz but it doesn't have bluetooth support and he can't figure out how to package it correctly since that particular firmware overwrites the recovery menu with a different recovery menu. Esentially, if you upgrade to that there is no going back.

I on the other hand am still rocking 4.1 with a firmware updated over top of it, on this one you can force an overclock to 1.2ghz with nofrillscpu but once again, no bluetooth.

Has anyone tried out the hacked PS4 Remote play app on the GameStick yet?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/ps4-remote-play-android-thread-t3068225

I've installed it on mine and was able to get sound, but the video was just a black screen. I've barely fiddled with it at all, so I'll let you know if I get it working.
Yeah. Just a black screen with sound here too. If the PS4 is on another network then it just fails to connect to the PS4. The same APK installs on my Amazon Fire Phone and works fine though, so it's probably a Gamestick issue. Would be awesome if it worked though. Maybe in a future version? Not sure what the issue could be.

Is there a way to put this thing into sleep mode? Or at least, a way to shut it down without holding the power button? 

I don't use it all that much, certainly not enough to leave it on all the time, like I do with my phone and tablet. 

Is there a way to put this thing into sleep mode? Or at least, a way to shut it down without holding the power button?

I don't use it all that much, certainly not enough to leave it on all the time, like I do with my phone and tablet.
Mine will go into some sort of sleep mode if I hold the "Power" key on my Logitech Keyboard, but the dock doesn't power down... so it's pointless... not sure if it would work if it's not in the dock though... then again... not sure how you'd turn it back on, even if it did. If you want something that powers it on/off easier than holding the power button... you'd have to use either a powerstrip with a switch or a remote on/off plug? Would be awesome if it went to sleep and powered up with just a button touch on your remote/keyboard though, I agree, sadly doesn't work that way.

Mine will go into some sort of sleep mode if I hold the "Power" key on my Logitech Keyboard, but the dock doesn't power down... so it's pointless... not sure if it would work if it's not in the dock though... then again... not sure how you'd turn it back on, even if it did. If you want something that powers it on/off easier than holding the power button... you'd have to use either a powerstrip with a switch or a remote on/off plug? Would be awesome if it went to sleep and powered up with just a button touch on your remote/keyboard though, I agree, sadly doesn't work that way.
Yeah, I've got a Belkin BT keyboard that has a lock/sleep button but when I use that, the same thing happens... and there's no way to get out of it.

I just don't like the idea that I either have to leave it on or force shut it down. An alternative is to use one of those remote controller power outlets to turn it on/off but cutting power, but that still results in unsafe shutdowns.

Live!!!!

Quick question for you guys...1 of my popular add-ons for streams within Kodi ran fine since you guys added that great tutorial but for the past week once I click to open the entire gamestick freezes...Any ideas on what I can do?

I went to a Gamestop which supposedly had the gamestick in stock but it was a no go. Supposedly the product was sent back and now only one store has it. This is strange since I've seen stores pull op some old and obscure item while the game stick hasn't been out for long enough to be obsolete. If anything it should've been displayed better instead of that high shelf that is hardly opened.

Anyone trying to sell their gamestick/dock combo? My brother wants another set up, but there's none in stock near us. PM me.

I just hooked mine up for the first time in months and now the controller won't sync.  When plugged in to a power source, the lights just flash on it and the gamestick can't connect.

I just hooked mine up for the first time in months and now the controller won't sync. When plugged in to a power source, the lights just flash on it and the gamestick can't connect.
You should be able to sync it by going into settings and clicking on the "Gamestick" controller. You're better off with a Red Samurai Gamestop controller though.

bread's done
Back