GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

This is going to be a pretty random post in this thread but having bought a gamestick I'm thinking you guys like cheap devices like this. I like the gamestick but I'm a sucker for any cheap fun device. Anyway here goes:

If you have a Micro Center near you or are willing to pay shipping check out this $60 Windows 8.1 tablet (yes full windows). It comes with a year sub for Office 365 on a card as a code. I sold mine on ebay for $30 (it can go for more but I opted for the quick sale). After all was said and done the tablet cost me $38.

Now for the fun stuff. The tablet is only 16gb but micro center has a program that let's you clear up an additional 2GB of storage on the tiny drive (windows is big). The real draw to this thing though is the ports. It features a mini HDMI, micro usb for charging or other stuff, A FULL USB Port, and a micro SD slot.

With the full usb port and the charging port your options for connectivity are vast. It has bluetooth as well. I hooked up a wireless 360 controller which is plug and play in windows 8.1. I installed a 64GB micro SD card and then turned it into a virtual hard drive to install more programs on. I used this guide. I got STEAM installed as well as Half LIfe 2 up and running on the card. It runs at 1024 and even better at 800x600. Granted it's a valve game, it's old, and well optimized but I was shocked to have it running on this tiny thing. I'm guessing lesser games would run fine on it.

I ran mame, nes, and snes emulators but I'm guessing it would handle ps1, psp, and dreamcast although I've yet to get that far with testing it out.

I installed Kodi which also works nicely and the tablet can drive a 1080p monitor. You can get an adapter for mini HDMI but I opted for a $7 cable on Amazon that's a mini hdmi to hdmi cable.

It's a little more than the gamestick but you are getting a tablet screen in the process. I'm thinking of using this to catch up on some older games I never got around to playing and will probably use it as my vacation Kodi htpc.

I don't work for Microcenter, I just like cheap fun gadgets.

Winbook Tablet Link
Full Windows 8 eh? Interesting indeed. So this would upgrade to Win10 soon too.

With this, and a wireless/BT keyboard and mouse, this is legitimately a desktop or laptop replacement (albeit one that doesn't do hardcore tasks). But for web, streaming, etc...how can you beat $60 (or $30 after selling the card???)...???

I need to stop buying gadgets!!!

WOW

This thread has gotten huge since it was started over a month ago.

As excited as I was to get this and the docking station, unfortunately my 8 year old LCD TV did not like me using google play and did some burn in to the tv.  It was not like I left it on the same screen for hours just a few seconds... the damage is done now I can see the left overs from what I was doing on the gamestick while watching regular tv. :(  grrr...  So now I barley touch the thing.

Looks like it works as a generic hub, so I don't see an issue; the description said it uses a Y-cable (in other words, it plugs into two USB ports at once) to provide extra power but the comments and reviews say otherwise. You'll probably need another cable to power the hub if you want to use something like an external HDD, but other than that it ought to work.

Full Windows 8 eh? Interesting indeed. So this would upgrade to Win10 soon too.

With this, and a wireless/BT keyboard and mouse, this is legitimately a desktop or laptop replacement (albeit one that doesn't do hardcore tasks). But for web, streaming, etc...how can you beat $60 (or $30 after selling the card???)...???

I need to stop buying gadgets!!!
I bought one and did a video:
http://youtu.be/l62g0EidXCI

The real bitch of this thing is lack of both storage memory and ram. If you do all of the 8.1 hotfixes and updates you will literally run out of space. The 1gb of ram wouldn't be TOO terrible if it had a decent amount of internal memory as then you could make a bigger page file to make up for the lack of ram BUT you don't have much of either. I'm looking into putting a page file on external memory to see if that will make a difference. So far I've gotten Counter Strike Source, Left For Dead 1 and 2 running on it. Everything else has been crashing out due to not enough ram. XBMC/Kodi does exactly what it's supposed to as it has a very small memory footprint. I'm going to get around to trying Dolphin emu and other emulators on it, I'm sure they will actually run alright. Anyway, for $60 it's not bad at all, I just wish there were more options to slim windows down :/

The real bitch of this thing is lack of both storage memory and ram. If you do all of the 8.1 hotfixes and updates you will literally run out of space. The 1gb of ram wouldn't be TOO terrible if it had a decent amount of internal memory as then you could make a bigger page file to make up for the lack of ram BUT you don't have much of either. I'm looking into putting a page file on external memory to see if that will make a difference. So far I've gotten Counter Strike Source, Left For Dead 1 and 2 running on it. Everything else has been crashing out due to not enough ram. XBMC/Kodi does exactly what it's supposed to as it has a very small memory footprint. I'm going to get around to trying Dolphin emu and other emulators on it, I'm sure they will actually run alright. Anyway, for $60 it's not bad at all, I just wish there were more options to slim windows down :/
Get rid of 8, and use a slim version of 7 without things you don't want.

2 things:

1. Got a Red Samurai on Friday, but cannot get it to show up in bluetooth list - any tips? Blue light is blinking, but does not recognize when bluetooth scans on GS - tried both switch positions(Keyboard or Controller)

2. For the WinBook Tablet - is it worth the extra $40 to get the 8" with 2gb RAM and 32gb eMMC Storage? Or just stick to the 7" - want a decent Windows tablet for work, streaming and emulating - Counterstrike and LFD are also enticing...

The red samurai didn't work too well with my gamestick. It was laggy and intermittently lost bluetooth pairing. So far, a ps3 controller directly plugged in via usb is the only way to play emulated games. I was able to get Mario kart 64 running with 2 dualshock3s plugged in for multiplayer. It was mostly playable but with lag occasionally on the emulator I tried. It seems like n64 emulation is highly variable based on the Rom and emulator. Some emulators are better than others for certain games but it's impossible to just use one for all games.

They make it a HUGE pain in the ass to try and put anything on it other than what currently already is. Half of the 16gb is a shadowed copy of windows 8 reserved for restoring it. Someone managed to put Windows 10 on it but didn't give any instruction on how they managed it.

2 things:

1. Got a Red Samurai on Friday, but cannot get it to show up in bluetooth list - any tips? Blue light is blinking, but does not recognize when bluetooth scans on GS - tried both switch positions(Keyboard or Controller)

2. For the WinBook Tablet - is it worth the extra $40 to get the 8" with 2gb RAM and 32gb eMMC Storage? Or just stick to the 7" - want a decent Windows tablet for work, streaming and emulating - Counterstrike and LFD are also enticing...
As far as the WinBook Tablet goes, I would say opt for the 2gb of RAM. The majority of everything I try running ends up crashing out due to lack of ram... I might try the usb stick trick which it uses it as makeshift ram (though significantly slower).

As far as the WinBook Tablet goes, I would say opt for the 2gb of RAM. The majority of everything I try running ends up crashing out due to lack of ram... I might try the usb stick trick which it uses it as makeshift ram (though significantly slower).
good old readyboost..... just make sure it's a fast stick AND always properly shutdown or eject it....

Thanks - my MC only has open boxed TW801(complete) for $96. Not sure if they are returns, but will most likely pull the trigger on one to get the extra ram - extra storage shouldn't hurt either.

They make it a HUGE pain in the ass to try and put anything on it other than what currently already is. Half of the 16gb is a shadowed copy of windows 8 reserved for restoring it. Someone managed to put Windows 10 on it but didn't give any instruction on how they managed it.
FYI, you can put recovery on a USB drive (8GB minimum), then delete the recovery partition to gain space.

Don't forget to run the tool from microcenter and clear up the 2GB. I went back in my old thread and post the link. The program is at the bottom of this page. You can also offset the storage with a micro sd. I actually installed Steam and Half Life 2 on the card itself. I posted a guide to turn the card into a virtual hard drive, allowing you to easily install to it.

The recovery is what is actually booting the tablet so this is a no go. Windows made some different bootup scenario for it to fit on smaller tablets like this one.

The TW801 may actually be the better value with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. It's $100 instead of $60 though. But then again $70\$30 if you sell the office sub for $30. Like I said might be able to get a little more for the sub, I personally opted for a quick sale.

Don't forget to run the tool from microcenter and clear up the 2GB. I went back in my old thread and post the link. The program is at the bottom of this page. You can also offset the storage with a micro sd. I actually installed Steam and Half Life 2 on the card itself. I posted a guide to turn the card into a virtual hard drive, allowing you to easily install to it.

The recovery is what is actually booting the tablet so this is a no go. Windows made some different bootup scenario for it to fit on smaller tablets like this one.

The TW801 may actually be the better value with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. It's $100 instead of $60 though. But then again $70\$30 if you sell the office sub for $30. Like I said might be able to get a little more for the sub, I personally opted for a quick sale.
I picked up an open box TW700 for $48, but I'm trying to decide if I'd rather have a TW801 open box for $80. One extra inch, 16GB more storage, and 2GB of RAM vs. 1GB (albeit DDR2 instead of DDR3) for an extra $32 plus tax. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra cost. I'm just using this as a toy anyway. The difference is essentially the cost of this TW700 after I sell the Office sub. I think I'm talking myself out of it.

I picked up an open box TW700 for $48, but I'm trying to decide if I'd rather have a TW801 open box for $80. One extra inch, 16GB more storage, and 2GB of RAM vs. 1GB (albeit DDR2 instead of DDR3) for an extra $32 plus tax. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra cost. I'm just using this as a toy anyway. The difference is essentially the cost of this TW700 after I sell the Office sub. I think I'm talking myself out of it.
I just bought a 32gb tab flash drive readyboost capable for like $30 to help the lack of ram/space problem. I dunno, both comes out about the same in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 32gb tab flash drive readyboost capable for like $30 to help the lack of ram/space problem. I dunno, both comes out about the same in the end.
Why not the Sandisk 64gb? It's only $2-4 more, must be readyboost capable too. Can you only use the USB Flash drive as Readyboost Memory or can you use it for storage as well? Not that familiar with it to be honest. I was planning on grabbing a 64gb microSD to make as a removable drive like @jkam was talking about and then the 64gb Sandisk micro USB drive for extra Memory boost and storage.

Why not the Sandisk 64gb? It's only $2-4 more, must be readyboost capable too. Can you only use the USB Flash drive as Readyboost Memory or can you use it for storage as well? Not that familiar with it to be honest. I was planning on grabbing a 64gb microSD to make as a removable drive like @jkam was talking about and then the 64gb Sandisk micro USB drive for extra Memory boost and storage.
for readyboost you can allocate as much as you want..... but 1-4 GB is recommended (well, the last time i used it.)

Haven't looked at many of them, but aside from build quality and motherboard/UEFI, Chinese Bay Trail tablets are largely the same.

Looking at a couple reviews, though, it looks like thy might have the same issue as my Teclast tablet as far as the headphone port goes - I'm not an audio expert, but the way I understand it is that because there's no real standard for mics or other additional pins on a 3.5mm connector, there're varying implementations in headphones and in ports. My Skullcandy headphones with a mic/button work fine in my laptop and every phone I've tested but come out tinny, warped and distorted entirely in my tablet, presumably due to the location of the ground pin or something. A cheap pair of over-the-ear headphones I got for $6 paired with a t-shirt at some Kohl's clearance table works fine with the tablet but had the same issue with my phone. One pair I tested without any extra pins, like a standard pair, only got sound out of one side on my tablet. Someone recommended a 3.5mm headest adapter for iPhone for anyone having headphone issues, but I never tried it.

tl;dr don't be surprised if the audio doesn't work as well as you'd like if you're not using the speakers or HDMI.

You can use it as both, just make sure to reserve room for the readyboost capabilities.

I came across this thread 2 weeks ago and decided to pick up 2 Gamesticks to try to make an emulator machine and this little stick has turned into so much more.  So I wanted to say ty to the OP and other posters for sharing.

I decided to try to also adapt it to my camping setup (for rainy tent days) this is what I came up with.

Gamestick (32Gb  Evo mSD) flashed to custom rom

AAXA LED Pico Projector with 80 Minute Battery Life (projector powered on the GS without the additional power cable)
Kinivo ZX100 Speaker with internal 8 hour battery
Nyko Playpad bluetooth controler (will double as mouse)
EC Technology 22400mAh power bank (2-2.1A & 1A usb ports)

0219150754_zpsno1vaeds.jpg

Projector & GS ran for 5 hours till i shut it off. It was streaming movies from netflix. Wifi and bluetooth were on, so I may be able to get more than 5 hours out of the powerbank if I shut off the wifi. 

I came across this thread 2 weeks ago and decided to pick up 2 Gamesticks to try to make an emulator machine and this little stick has turned into so much more. So I wanted to say ty to the OP and other posters for sharing.

I decided to try to also adapt it to my camping setup (for rainy tent days) this is what I came up with.

Gamestick (32Gb Evo mSD) flashed to custom rom

AAXA LED Pico Projector with 80 Minute Battery Life (projector powered on the GS without the additional power cable)

0219150754_zpsno1vaeds.jpg

Projector & GS ran for 5 hours till i shut it off. It was streaming movies from netflix. Wifi and bluetooth were on, so I may be able to get more than 5 hours out of the powerbank if I shut off the wifi.
That's actually really awesome! Glad to help!

I came across this thread 2 weeks ago and decided to pick up 2 Gamesticks to try to make an emulator machine and this little stick has turned into so much more. So I wanted to say ty to the OP and other posters for sharing.

Gamestick (32Gb Evo mSD) flashed to custom rom

never thought of using a pico projector.... was planning on a HDMI to composite (or svideo) adapter and use it with my car's 7" nav unit for the days that i don't feel like leaving to lunch...

The navigation screen is a great idea especially if you have a hotspot in the car or can share the signal from your cell. I went with the pico projector because I had it already for camping/power outages, it throws a 60 screen at about 9 feet. 

So back to GS Q&A:

I upgraded my WIFI to 15MB last week and was disappointed that the GS WIFI only tests up to 9.89MB or so, doesn't pass the 10MB mark; when I had 4MB it ran the test up to 3.89MB down.

I wonder if its something on the code of the CFW that doesn't let it pass the 10MB mark, maybe we need better driver for the wifi? or any news on newer FWs for the TOTO that can be used here?

So back to GS Q&A:

I upgraded my WIFI to 15MB last week and was disappointed that the GS WIFI only tests up to 9.89MB or so, doesn't pass the 10MB mark; when I had 4MB it ran the test up to 3.89MB down.

I wonder if its something on the code of the CFW that doesn't let it pass the 10MB mark, maybe we need better driver for the wifi? or any news on newer FWs for the TOTO that can be used here?
wifi tests tend to be VERY subjective on various conditions, not to mention the GS has a POOR antenna.... I pay for 10Mbps down and the GS doesn't get close to that unless it's in the same room as the router.

So back to GS Q&A:

By WiFi you mean your ISP speed? Or did you upgrade your router? Upgrading your ISP speed doesn't mean you would see an improvement in your WiFI speed, go hard wired if you want a speed increase. WiFi is very dependent on congestion and interference on that channel as well as other conditions.

Yeah, there's a few speed testers out there that will tell you how much interference is on each channel (other routers broadcasting on it) and which ones are open.  Then you just go into your router settings and select a channel with the best signal.

wifi tests tend to be VERY subjective on various conditions, not to mention the GS has a POOR antenna.... I pay for 10Mbps down and the GS doesn't get close to that unless it's in the same room as the router.
Mine is 5 feet from the router, the ps3 and the atv that are in the same table as the GS get about 14MB down. The GS down speed was measured before I even set up the new password for them with my new isp/router.

I've hit well over 10mb when using it in conjunction with a wifi repeater.
Repeater? as in wifi repeater due to distance from the orig wifi signal or are you connecting to the repeater using an ethernet cable.

I think there is a prob that the vanilla software for the wifi is topping at 10MB

By WiFi you mean your ISP speed? Or did you upgrade your router? Upgrading your ISP speed doesn't mean you would see an improvement in your WiFI speed, go hard wired if you want a speed increase. WiFi is very dependent on congestion and interference on that channel as well as other conditions.
Sorry for being non-specific, both were changed for the better, new ISP, new router, new down speeds from 4MB now to 15MB. Congestion, interference by devices of home and electronics and other possible reasons for lower speeds on the GS were removed systematically before I reached my conclusion. We are only two using channel 11 so no issues w that either. Hell, I even turned off all BT to make sure that wasn't affecting it either ;)

Yeah, there's a few speed testers out there that will tell you how much interference is on each channel (other routers broadcasting on it) and which ones are open. Then you just go into your router settings and select a channel with the best signal.
No real channel interference , we are only 2 using channel 11. There are about 700 apartments in my block...

---------------------------------

IMHO I think is something w the gs and the toto fw w the wifi drivers to be honest since I think the chip on the GS is newer. When I had the 4MB down it was running at 3.7MB down in the tests. Does anyone get more than 10MB on theirs w/out using repeaters or ethernet?

BTW Thanks for the answers guys :)

You realize channel 11 still overlaps with channels 9, 10 right? Could just be the quality of the WiFi chip. It doesn't do 5Ghz correct? Never checked. I do wireless surveying and engineering so I know a little about this kind of stuff.

You realize channel 11 still overlaps with channels 9, 10 right? Could just be the quality of the WiFi chip. It doesn't do 5Ghz correct? Never checked. I do wireless surveying and engineering so I know a little about this kind of stuff.
I'm no expert, but there are no devices using 9 or 10 close enough to show. And other devices next to it get the proper down speeds even the PS3 slim which I think has a worse chip than the gs one. I don't think it does 5ghz but that shouldn't matter based on the speeds on the other devices. . I'm trying to figure out if it really tops at 10 or not. According to wiki the gs can do wifi n and its bt is supposed to be ver 4.0 lol

I didn't use it much with WiFi, tried Kodi and it seemed slow to me. I was having cache, and buffer problems. I've been using the dock ever since, can't beat a direct connection.

This has gotten me on a Kodi device kick now, bought that 10" Windows 8 tablet from Cowboom hoping to replace my iPad, Apple TV, and nVidia Shield with it. Seems it should handle most of the functions I used all of those for. It almost makes me want to just spring for a Surface Pro, I've been wanting one for so long, but we may be upgrading to them at work soon.

I didn't use it much with WiFi, tried Kodi and it seemed slow to me. I was having cache, and buffer problems. I've been using the dock ever since, can't beat a direct connection.

This has gotten me on a Kodi device kick now, bought that 10" Windows 8 tablet from Cowboom hoping to replace my iPad, Apple TV, and nVidia Shield with it. Seems it should handle most of the functions I used all of those for. It almost makes me want to just spring for a Surface Pro, I've been wanting one for so long, but we may be upgrading to them at work soon.
i grabbed a surface pro 2 last year...SO WORTH it....unless you want pc gaming. It can run Neptunia rebirth 1 @ 30fps but don't expect any modern FPS...

i grabbed a surface pro 2 last year...SO WORTH it....unless you want pc gaming. It can run Neptunia rebirth 1 @ 30fps but don't expect any modern FPS...
That's the only thing that's kept me from grabbing one, can't really game on it. Hopefully we are really getting them at my work then I can just play around with that one. I'm hoping steam streaming works well on this tablet, it will be awesome when XB1 streaming comes out on Windows 10 too.

That's the only thing that's kept me from grabbing one, can't really game on it. Hopefully we are really getting them at my work then I can just play around with that one. I'm hoping steam streaming works well on this tablet, it will be awesome when XB1 streaming comes out on Windows 10 too.
haven't tried steam streaming.... should work fine.... i have played a ton of 2d games and fighters on it with no issue, and use miracast A LOT with media playback....

Also, have done some video editing as well with great results.

Alright guys, so I have some news that you should be happy about. I got my GameStick running at 1.2ghz via another kernel.  The bad news, since that kernel isn't built specifically for the GameStick wifi and bluetooth doesn't work for it BUT I'm talking with Shanti about it (waiting on him to get back to me) and from what I understand we should be able to enable wifi and bluetooth as modules onto this kernel!  I'm close to being able to do it myself (even knowing jack shit about kernels) as it's basically just adding a couple lines of code to enable the modules!

If you want to play around with the 1.2ghz kernel now (but wifi and bluetooth won't work) you can get it from here and just flash it over top your already installed custom firmware.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934532871

I just bought a red samurai controller and it great but would I be able to connect a second one for some multiplayer snes tmnt?

Nice, what is the max it can run? Have you noticed it get extra hot w the new kernel?
1.2ghz didn't notice it getting any hotter to be honest. Passed the several different stress tests I ran it through (geek bench 3, antutu) with no reboots are graphic artifacts.

haven't tried steam streaming.... should work fine.... i have played a ton of 2d games and fighters on it with no issue, and use miracast A LOT with media playback....

Also, have done some video editing as well with great results.
Bosses just ordered us Surface Pro 2s for work a couple of days ago, guess I'll have one to screw around with now.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I got one yesterday and love it.

However when I connect via the dock I'm noticing some static and even one time had a connection that kept refreshing. Almost looks like an rf issue. Anyone have some insight? Could just be a bad hdmi cable but I don't wanna bother getting one of those male to females to replace it if it's simpler.

Other than that I really love it. I'm probably replacing my pc with this actually since I don't game on pc anyway. Much simpler.

I just bought a red samurai controller and it great but would I be able to connect a second one for some multiplayer snes tmnt?
As long as the App you are using supports multiple game pads, it should work no problem. You may just have to assign your buttons in the options.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I got one yesterday and love it.

However when I connect via the dock I'm noticing some static and even one time had a connection that kept refreshing. Almost looks like an rf issue. Anyone have some insight? Could just be a bad hdmi cable but I don't wanna bother getting one of those male to females to replace it if it's simpler.

Other than that I really love it. I'm probably replacing my pc with this actually since I don't game on pc anyway. Much simpler.
Don't be sorry to bump the best thread ever created on CAG! ;) Glad you're loving your Gamestick like the rest of us... I doubt the Dock has anything to do with your connection as you're still just connecting your HDMI to the Gamestick perhaps the connection is bad or needs to be tighter? Try it without the extension cable maybe?

Re: Gamestick, is there any way to move Apps to the External (The MicroSD inserted into the Gamestick) SD card? I'm running out of room on the "Mediabox" & internal "SD Card". Thanks.

OT Re: Winbook 7": What is the best setting for my Readyboost USB drive? 7gb? Seeing the Winbook already has 1gb of RAM to bring it to 8gb? It's 32bit Windows 8.1 correct? So more than 4 or 8 is no good anyhow, right? Anyone have any idea what the best setup would be? Thanks.

OT Re: Winbook 7": What is the best setting for my Readyboost USB drive? 7gb? Seeing the Winbook already has 1gb of RAM to bring it to 8gb? It's 32bit Windows 8.1 correct? So more than 4 or 8 is no good anyhow, right? Anyone have any idea what the best setup would be? Thanks.
Start with 2 or 4GB and se how it runs 1st.

bread's done
Back