GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

So when I originally picked this up, I grabbed an extra controller. I'm sensing the general consensus is that it's probably not worth it. If I want to use two controllers for 2 player games, can I use a wired 360 controller and the included controller at the same time? PS3 controllers knock out any other paired bt devices, right?

The guy said he would go to another store and get me one and call me. I have a voucher to burn so thought this was a good idea....but i don't even play my OUYA that much so maybe I should just get that Unity hat that looks cool.

So when I originally picked this up, I grabbed an extra controller. I'm sensing the general consensus is that it's probably not worth it. If I want to use two controllers for 2 player games, can I use a wired 360 controller and the included controller at the same time? PS3 controllers knock out any other paired bt devices, right?
I'm in the same boat (ordered a game stick with extra controller), and don't really want to use my PS3 controllers for this if possible and the main reason I bought the thing was for two player retro (Sega Genesis) gaming with the wife.

Since apparently I have two garbage controllers coming tomorrow, has anyone tried the MOGA controllers with the game stick, and if so, have any review to provide? Or does anyone have any other cheap recommendations for cheap wireless controllers that can be used two at a time? Having to use the controllers wired really isn't a possibility for where I plan on using this.

(I already have one OUYA controller, but honestly don't care for it at all).

This is sweet got mine tonight loaded up android, now installing GS and emu. Very cool device. I almost just like sitting and surfing on my 40"  KB and Mouse hooked up first time.

This is sweet got mine tonight loaded up android, now installing GS and emu. Very cool device. I almost just like sitting and surfing on my 40"  KB and Mouse hooked up first time.  Oh yeah, got to play a little Super Mario

update- I used the Nostalgia emulator and it works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the 17 deal is dead its 19 now so not a real big difference. But, I was wondering now that you guys have had it a few days what do you think. Does it run all the normal emulators well?

I assume snes and nes will be fine what about n64 and ps1/2?

I'm in the same boat (ordered a game stick with extra controller), and don't really want to use my PS3 controllers for this if possible and the main reason I bought the thing was for two player retro (Sega Genesis) gaming with the wife.

Since apparently I have two garbage controllers coming tomorrow, has anyone tried the MOGA controllers with the game stick, and if so, have any review to provide? Or does anyone have any other cheap recommendations for cheap wireless controllers that can be used two at a time? Having to use the controllers wired really isn't a possibility for where I plan on using this.

(I already have one OUYA controller, but honestly don't care for it at all).
If you use the Moga Universal Driver from the play store I know you use a MOGA pocket for sure. I played some Mega Man X, wasn't bad.

Seems the 17 deal is dead its 19 now so not a real big difference. But, I was wondering now that you guys have had it a few days what do you think. Does it run all the normal emulators well?

I assume snes and nes will be fine what about n64 and ps1/2?
17 is in-store 19 online

Any launcher or setting out there to make the bar at the bottom(with the time, notifications, home button) auto hide?

Thanks zebular, picked up one of these and a dock on my way to Cali in Yuma

Seems like Gamestop is restocking these randomly as there were none were I lived and today when I came back three different Gamestops now have it in stock

Yeah I'm not 100% sure how GameStop is going about selling these.  I can't see anyone making a profit at $20, I guess they have a huge inventory of them they are still trying to sell off.  It's odd though, the GS website has gone OOS but then became restocked like 8hrs later a couple days ago.

For some reason I was having issues finding Genesis in SPMC and Kodi as well.  I have no idea why it wasn't listed under addons.  I tried searching for it only to find some Christian channel.

However, rather than configuring a bunch of stuff, turns out theres a package that does it all for you, called TVMC.  I installed it just downloading in Chrome on the GameStick and went from there.  If this helps anyone else heres a how to.

http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/

No idea if thats locked to 720p or not, but honestly, I don't care as long as its not pixelated and blocky as all hell.  Shits free and also saves me space on externals for getting it...well, you know.

I can't remember if this has been asked before, but do devices like this Logitech minikeyboard with track pad work? If so, that will save me a lot of hassle not to mention ton of space when on the go with the thing

http://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420702326&sr=1-5&keywords=mini+wireless+keyboard+and+mouse+combo
Hope so, as thats the exact one I have. (And I fucking love it, especially for Final Fantasy XIV on PS4)

The stick works flawlessly with my keyboard and mouse setup until I put it in the dock. Anyone else seeing this issue? Do I have a faulty dock? I have searched everywhere.

This thing is pretty sweet. I was impressed with the performance for the few minutes I used it-- ran Netflix and an SNES emulator just fine. I'm more than satisfied.

Didn't have any issues with input lag. The only real criticism I have is that the d-pad on the controller is awful, it's stiff and has poor range of motion. The controller is also too big, and the flat shape is anything but ergonomic.

That said, for 16.99/20 bucks, you really can't complain. It's a great bang-for-your-buck media streaming/emulation device.

If you don't have a PS3 or other Bluetooth controller, or a wired 360 pad, I've heard great things about the Buffalo SNES-style Classic USB Gamepad  (~$15).

Bah. Guess I'll go in and get one today. Thanks guys for the tip about in store.

I can't remember if this has been asked before, but do devices like this Logitech minikeyboard with track pad work? If so, that will save me a lot of hassle not to mention ton of space when on the go with the thing

http://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420702326&sr=1-5&keywords=mini+wireless+keyboard+and+mouse+combo
Yup, that's what I've been using with mine. Works great.

Alright so this is actually REALLY interesting. So I was always very confused why so many people were complaining about the SNES emulation, well, I was using my Ouya gamepad the entire time and was having zero slow downs. Well, I then tried the crap GameStick controller and yes, it actually causes emulation slowdown, as in you actually get worse fps using it! So I suppose I would have to recommend everyone to use a wired controller or pair a ps3 controller.
I was messing around with the various Genesis emulators, and got the same lag out of everything but retroarch (which has issues with the dpad making it unplayable.) I then loaded up the regular MD.emu and plugged in a USB Saturn pad, and it was perfect, no noticable lag. I think some of these emulators just do not like bluetooth controllers, as I had the same exact issues with the PS3, Gamestick, and Ouya controllers. The weird thing is I had the PS3 connected by USB, I didn't have it paired.

Picked up the additional controller package at GameStop for 9 Bucks. Now i have a cheap bluetooth controller that I've paired to my Amazon FireTV Stick, and can use it in mouse emulation to control those apps that need touch. Its slow mousing around, but it works. Here is how to switch to mouse mode on the GameStick Controller.

Stolen from another post...

Hold down the 'Back' button until the 4 LEDs on the front start flashing then, while still holding 'Back' start pressing the 'Start' button until only the 3rd LED is lit. Then the right analog stick becomes the mouse and the left trigger becomes the mouse click. You can click and drag as well to help arrange things on the main desktop and such.

Then you do the same process to make the 1st LED become highlighted for normal usage.
Much thanks for this! Works well for my Amazon Fire TV Stick along with Showbox. Saves me syncing up a mouse each time.

Well for $20 I'm definitely not disappointed. It'll be nice for playing Pokemon games on the tv at hotels and streaming Plex. My only two problems are that I can't seem to be able to move apps to my SD card and it doesn't run goat simulator well.

So I went out and bought a USB keyboard specifically to do this and the damn thing won't work when plugged into the splitter. Anyone have any ideas?
Was it plugged in before you powered up? I think someone had the same problem a few days ago. Not sure how they resolved it.

Was it plugged in before you powered up? I think someone had the same problem a few days ago. Not sure how they resolved it.
It was plugged in when I powered up. Now that I removed and reinserted it I can get things like the Num Lock key to light up when I press it so I know the keyboard is working but it's still non responsive on the gamestick.

I downloaded android cfw and want to put amazon app store and kodi on it. There is no security tab for me to allow this under settings. Anyone know how to do this?

Nvm found while searching in these forums. My problem was I was plugging the usb keyboard after getting into recovery mode. You have to have it plugged in before entering recovery mode to get tge keyboard to finally work.

Updating as we speak. Thanks guys and hope this helps!!

It was plugged in when I powered up. Now that I removed and reinserted it I can get things like the Num Lock key to light up when I press it so I know the keyboard is working but it's still non responsive on the gamestick.
Above is how he resolved it, but it sounds like that is not your problem. If the keyboard is in good working order I'm out of ideas, good luck.

I just went back and searched the thread for others having problems with the keyboard and nothing seems to be doing the trick. I try the keyboard plugged in before recover mode and power and after I've put it in recover mode with power and neither work. I've tried using the USB port on the tv as a power supply and the actual wall charger. Neither seem to be working. This shit is getting so frustrating that I'm ready to return the fucking gamestick and the keyboard. I've messed around with rooting so many devices in the past and I've never had this much of a headache and it's all over a fucking keyboard.

Above is how he resolved it, but it sounds like that is not your problem. If the keyboard is in good working order I'm out of ideas, good luck.
Thanks for trying to help though! I really appreciate it.

They keyboard works fine from the computer just not the gamestick...I give up.

Hmm, is anyone else having issues running legit streaming apps like HBO GO or the Google Play movie app ... even with an ethernet connection, they load but then cycle out when actually trying to load any movies. It's not a huge deal since I have plenty of other devices, but I'm just not quite sure why they won't work.

I updated to Kodi 14 just now but keep getting pop ups about kodi getting superuser permissions everytime I open the app. Is this normal or why is this happening?

Also if I installed the Firmware from OP's video, is it CFW 14 or 13? If not how do I get CFW 14?

Thanks in advance!!

So, now that I got this, I've read that some people prefer one way of modding it over the other.  So, what's the verdict?  I've not even opened the box, yet.

is it possible to use the dock when flashing in recovery mood?  (i.e. that way I can use those usb ports for the keyboard/mouse)

Okay, Ive now figured out the problem. Rooting doesn't work with shitty, cheap keyboards. Word to the wise if anyone needs to purchase a keyboard to do this. I bought a $10 Onn brand from Walmart and it caused me so much headache. Went back today to grab a logitech one instead and it's working without any problems at all. Just remember, even if you have to spring for the more expensive keyboard you can always return it once your done with the whole rooting process.

[quote name="etcrane" post="12396420" timestamp="1420749056"]Hmm, is anyone else having issues running legit streaming apps like HBO GO or the Google Play movie app ... even with an ethernet connection, they load but then cycle out when actually trying to load any movies. It's not a huge deal since I have plenty of other devices, but I'm just not quite sure why they won't work.[/quote]
Those movie apps don't work for me either. I get the same issue. And with the Showtime app it complains that it doesn't support HDMI out.

So, now that I got this, I've read that some people prefer one way of modding it over the other. So, what's the verdict? I've not even opened the box, yet.
Just follow the video in the OP. As long as you don't run into any BS hardware issues like I did it will only take you 5 minutes, it's incredibly easy to do.

The other method people are talking about I believe was put in place by the developers of GameStick and given how shitty this thing is without rooting it I don't have a whole lot of faith in the developers method to rooting. I may be wrong about this though.

Hmm, is anyone else having issues running legit streaming apps like HBO GO or the Google Play movie app ... even with an ethernet connection, they load but then cycle out when actually trying to load any movies. It's not a huge deal since I have plenty of other devices, but I'm just not quite sure why they won't work.
I am having similar issues. Amazon and Xfinity apps won't play for me. Spmc seems to be the only thing that will actually load the video streams.

bread's done
Back