GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

anyone know how to get to recovery mode?

accidentally turned mine on and it powered and can't figure out what to do.

it wont go to recovery mode.

I'm new to all this

... well then, illegal streaming it is then ... :p

Just would have been nice to actually use the things I pay money for with this ...

So has anyone figured out how to improve the wifi yet? Or are all of you using a dock with ethernet?

I'm on wifi and I haven't even been able to load the play store once because the connection is so bad.

So has anyone figured out how to improve the wifi yet? Or are all of you using a dock with ethernet?

I'm on wifi and I haven't even been able to load the play store once because the connection is so bad.
Please don't say this. Shitty wifi makes me weary. Though i did use a $15 off gamestop code to get it. So even if it ends up sucking its not a total loss.

Just now decided to give this thread a look, so please forgive me if it's been asked a million times already. Can this play roms such as SNES, NES & Genesis (or even Turbo Grafx/Duo)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I updated to Kodi 14 just now but keep getting pop ups about kodi getting superuser permissions everytime I open the app. Is this normal or why is this happening?
Kodi uses superuser permissions to enable it to shut down or reboot the system directly. If it doesn't get them it should still work fine, it just won't be able to shut down or reboot the system.

Ahh another day another batch of questions to answer lol

anyone know how to get to recovery mode?

accidentally turned mine on and it powered and can't figure out what to do.

it wont go to recovery mode.

I'm new to all this
Follow the tutorial video to put it in Recovery

I have only used wifi as I have no dock and I've had some luck with these 2 apps, the first helps connectivity and the 2nd is a widget you can put on the desktop so you can always see how many mbps it's connected at currently
Screenshot_2015-01-08-15-51-32.png

Screenshot_2015-01-08-15-51-39.png

Kodi uses superuser permissions to enable it to shut down or reboot the system directly. If it doesn't get them it should still work fine, it just won't be able to shut down or reboot the system.
You can go into the Super User app and disable notifications for everything that gets super user permissions or just for Kodi if you like.

I have only used wifi as I have no dock and I've had some luck with these 2 apps, the first helps connectivity and the 2nd is a widget you can put on the desktop so you can always see how many mbps it's connected at currently

You can go into the Super User app and disable notifications for everything that gets super user permissions or just for Kodi if you like.
Thank you! I didnt know this existed. We can also use USB Ethernet adapters for the cags without the dock like myself.

Also for anyone new that goes straight to the end of the thread and asks the same questions that has already been answered about the whole 1.4 and dev mode vs cfw, please if anyone sees these reassure them the latest version is in the OP and Dev mode is very crippled in comparison to the cfw (dev mode is also much more of a pain in the ass to install).

So far with my experience, if you want better wifi performance and you have Bluetooth enabled, then disable BT. BT seems to affect wifi performance on this stick.

Thanks for the tip OP. Grabbed one for modding fun.

Also can this stream Netflix or hbo go?

If so I'll grab another one for my mom. She'd love a streaming gadget.

I saw a couple ppl ask how to disable the android virtual keyboard from popping up when typing. I found a work around to get rid of it. Download Null Keyboard from the playstore and assign it as your default keyboard in the android settings. That should prevent the virtual keyboard from popping up.  :D/

All this talk made me go turn my ouya back on for the first time in like 6 months lol. I kinda wanna set it up as an emulation go to device now. The Gamestick is sold out near me, but from what I can tell from this thread my ouya pretty much does the same thing?

All this talk made me go turn my ouya back on for the first time in like 6 months lol. I kinda wanna set it up as an emulation go to device now. The Gamestick is sold out near me, but from what I can tell from this thread my ouya pretty much does the same thing?
Once rooted, I dont see why not. It should be able to do everything and a tiny bit more.

I have a $15 off coupon from my Power Up Rewards card; this thing will only end up costing me a few bucks. Thanks OP!

I called my local store and they are having one shipped to them for me to pick up as the site appears to be sold out.

I have a $15 off coupon from my Power Up Rewards card; this thing will only end up costing me a few bucks. Thanks OP!

I called my local store and they are having one shipped to them for me to pick up as the site appears to be sold out.
I literally did the same thing! cant beat a few bucks.

You won't have to do ANY rooting for the Ouya....either use the Ouya store, or use a web browser to download whatever you need. It works great. But to be honest, I had better luck with Kodi on the Gamestick (using WiFi) than I did with any type of XBMC on the Ouya (using Ethernet). Emulators should run better on the Ouya however.

Ahh another day another batch of questions to answer lol

Follow the tutorial video to put it in Recovery

Screenshot_2015-01-08-15-51-32.png

Screenshot_2015-01-08-15-51-39.png

I'm definitely going to download the WiFi widget to monitor the speeds :)

I'm a little weary about something that changes system files to "speed up" the internet though....did you really notice a speed boost? Did the WiFi widget verify the speed increase?

For the record, I'm actually quite pleased with the wifi of the gamestick I have. It's going through a WiFi range extender, and still gets 10-13 mbps (or whatever it measures) according to the Ookla speed tester app.

Got the dock updated and working, but the usb is hit and miss on this thing.  Xbox controller and mouse work but the usb extension that worked before won't work with it.  Ethernet works and is fast.

Just got mine in the mail today, and I'm just so giddy with how many options I have with this thing. The rooting was pretty easy once the keyboard would work. The way I got it to work, which I'm not sure had anything to do with it, but when I went to put the Gamestick in recovery mode, I already had the cord plugged in via the AC adapter, held the button down and plugged the usb into the gamestick. 

I've never used SBMC before, I have Genesis installed which is amazing, any other good addons people like?

Mine came today and the dock should be here on Saturday.  Havent opened it up yet, probably set this thing up over the weekend.

Btw since I saw this a few pages ago for anyone that ends up having keyboard issues it seems it doesn't like all of them. I had 2 keyboards that wouldn't work on it until I grabbed a 3rd one from work. So just keep trying until you get one that works

People asking about the WIFI. its actually surprisingly perfect on my end. I have two of these hooked up right this minute, with 3 tablets, a Xbox 360 and even my PC all on at the same time, and i can steam Youtube and Genesis from both with Zero lag. (I have a Medium sized apartment with 4 rooms and tons of walls/angles) It must be problems on some peoples ends because of wifi issues, i see none with the "Glory-Stick" so far.

Edit: BTW i've seen people asking about using this during the "Kongregate Coupon Debacle" Yes, this should be able to get you coupons during that promotion.

I downloaded the Internet Booster and Wifi Widget apps. Not sure if this is what solved my issues, but according to the widget I ended up going from 18 mbps to 52. I'm still on ethernet, so not sure how the wifi is, but I'm finally able to stream HD from Genesis on Kodi without buffering. Really recommend everyone downloading these if they're experiencing issues. Can't hurt at least. Thanks zebular!

Mine isnt working at all now. Found out the wired Logitech I've had for forever and finally found a use for, the cat chewed the wire. Side note, I hate the cat.

Got it working then tried a wireless keyboard, wouldn't recognize so restarted and can't get any kind of picture now. Thinking I'll return this pile of junk

I know it's been asked several times in this thread (but 64 pages is quite a few to cover) but I'm having an issue with it resetting everytime I try to run anything (settings, Play Store, etc).  Has anyone figured out a fix/workaround?

I know it's been asked several times in this thread (but 64 pages is quite a few to cover) but I'm having an issue with it resetting everytime I try to run anything (settings, Play Store, etc). Has anyone figured out a fix/workaround?
Make sure all Apps are updated, and the Time and Date are properly set. i had this problem with widgets but found is was the incorrect time and date (have it set to automatic, and make sure you choose your time zone) Thats the only reseting problem i had.

Make sure all Apps are updated, and the Time and Date are properly set. i had this problem with widgets but found is was the incorrect time and date (have it set to automatic, and make sure you choose your time zone) Thats the only reseting problem i had.
Well, my problem is that I can't even get into settings. It reboots on me if I even click on that.

I'm trying a wipe/recovery again and see if that helps. Ugh, shit's never easy :lol:

Some people had mentioned not getting fullscreen video playback because of the status bar. There are apps on the Play Store that can hide the status bar for you. Just search for "fullscreen".

I got my dock up and running with the ethernet connection, but my Time Warner Cable app still gave me choppy video. The audio was fine, but the video was mediocre. Oh well, good enough for $22 with dock, I guess.

Picked up the Gamestick and Dock today. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to modding and the Android platform. Any websites or videos I should go to in order to get the most out of this thing?

I want to use it as an emulator. Maybe the occasional TV show stream.

Any trouble with genesis not finding source or running into trouble when trying to open stream?
It's hit and miss, you'll learn which are the better servers after trial and error. Filenuke and Fileprompt link are usually pretty good.

bread's done
Back