GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

i'm pretty disappointed in NES and SNES emulation but I'll keep dinking around...

otherwise I think the gamestick is GREAT, and pretty damn close to amazing for $17.

lots of fun to mess with and surprisingly great N64 emulation. xbmc runs great. 

it was $17.

is there a better browser for android besides the default one?

anyway, thank you @zebular for the OP and the vids and all the work in this thread

I have a question and i don't kniw if someone asked before. I was using the gamestick to watch live tv. Then i used my ipad to check a new app to watch movies and tv shows on it. While i watch the video i saw an icon on the lower right corner and when i touched it, it started to stream the video from the ipad to the gamestick and i saw the video on the tv. But after some minutes that icon dissapeared and i cant find the way to turn in on again. While it was working i used my ipad and samsung galaxy to stream videos and it worked but like i said, that icon dissapeared. Can someone please show me how to turn on and off that option? I have to say that my ipad and galaxy had the bluetooth off and were never paired with the gamestick before. I hope that someone can help me.
Hi there,

that happens because Kodi act as a Airplay compatible device, so you can stream your iDevice (iPod, iPad, iPhone...) onto your TV. Pretty great feature!

i'm pretty disappointed in NES and SNES emulation but I'll keep dinking around...

otherwise I think the gamestick is GREAT, and pretty damn close to amazing for $17.

it was $17.

anyway, thank you @zebular for the OP and the vids and all the work in this thread
NES and SNES run better with anything aside from the GameStick controller and I find Chrome and Dolphin are really solid internet browsers.

it was $17.

I'm going to say Dolphin with Jetpack extension.

Hi there,

that happens because Kodi act as a Airplay compatible device, so you can stream your iDevice (iPod, iPad, iPhone...) onto your TV. Pretty great feature!
thank you for the response mate but how can i turn it on and off?. like i explained, the icon that let me stream from the ipad to the gamestick is not there anymore so again, how can i turn it on again?

So my stick just keeps restarting after installing the custom firmware and setting up, do I need to return this one and get a new one?

[EDIT]Hmmm seems to be related to the mouse I was using, plugged in a Xbox 360 wired controller and it's working fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to update some apps but I get the "App not installed. An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed." message. Also I know it was asked earlier in the tread but does anyone know how to keep the controller from going to sleep while using spmc to watch movies.

thank you for the response mate but how can i turn it on and off?. like i explained, the icon that let me stream from the ipad to the gamestick is not there anymore so again, how can i turn it on again?
On the top of my head, there's a "Airplay" section in XBMC's Settings

I picked up the logitech K400.  Took some time to get use to but it works.  Got Nova Launcher prime working.    Couldn't figure out how to play amazon prime video movies on it.... every time I messed with the amazon app it drops me back to the home screen (no crash).

I tried the Internet Booster zebula linked to... And ever since, my wireless has been slow. I did a speed test from the exact same location using my cell phone, and it's definitely the Gamestick. I'm getting 1mbps DL speeds! I tried my Wii ethernet usb adapter and I'm getting 14mbpa (using powerline adapters) so it's definitely the WiFi. I uninstalled the Internet Booster and it didn't fix it.

Any thoughts? I COULD just stick with ethernet, but I'd prefer the wireless to work well also...

Im not sure what the Internet Booster did to the files (as it claims), but is there a way to revert it back?

On the top of my head, there's a "Airplay" section in XBMC's Settings
You are right thanks. The first time i looked i did not find the option because there are many but this time i founded under the "services" tab. I can stream any video that is in my android even if the option is off. On or off is the same on the xbmc. I have not success streaming videos from youtube or live tv. The very first time i found the option by accident y was able to play a streaming movie from my ipad, now i cant even stream from videos that i have on my ipad or youtube. I hope someone have a solution or a recomendation to use another app or fix this one. Thanks for the kind response.

So I have two Gamesticks and both ran genesis great for one day and then crappy. That Internet booster app seems to have made it worse, you guys sure that app works? Any other things I can do to make it run faster? Every other thing in my house on wifi works pretty good.

you can actually get the entire thing setup automatically and it adds all the good addons and stuff:

http://www.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/

Follow that and then follow the instructions for running the config tool. It will auto-setup
Used this and it's working perfectly. Thank you!

Only issue left to overcome is controllers. I've tried using a wired PS3 controller, but the Gamestick doesn't seem to recognize it. I can only use the Gamestick Controller in Bluetooth.

I've only played around with the SNES emulator that was recommended a page back. Mapped the Gamestick controller and it worked pretty well. My preference would be to use my PS3 controller, but I probably have to fiddle around with the configurations first so I can figure out why the Gamestick isn't picking it up.

I tried the Internet Booster zebula linked to... And ever since, my wireless has been slow. I did a speed test from the exact same location using my cell phone, and it's definitely the Gamestick. I'm getting 1mbps DL speeds! I tried my Wii ethernet usb adapter and I'm getting 14mbpa (using powerline adapters) so it's definitely the WiFi. I uninstalled the Internet Booster and it didn't fix it.

Any thoughts? I COULD just stick with ethernet, but I'd prefer the wireless to work well also...

Im not sure what the Internet Booster did to the files (as it claims), but is there a way to revert it back?
Go to the settings in Android and set it to forget your wifi connection, then set it back up.

it was $17.

I put Chrome on it

I reinstalled spmc from play store the first day I had problems. It never wants to work though.
It'll load up but crashes once I choose anything.
Guess I'm stuck w tvmc, which works fine aside from the audio sync issue. I have to manually adjust it on everything.

Still no clue how to keep the controller active. Odd as everything usually lets you do that in settings.

So I really like ePSXe (very easy to use and set up), but I'm having some audio syncing issues with it when running any of the crash bandicoot games. At its default audio settings, it likes to repeat portions of the audio at random times, usually when there's a lot going on at once. I tried to change the audio latency to low (normal is default) since that's the logical solution, but that makes problems much worse.

Most every other PS1 emulator can't even play CB smoothly, so I think I'm stuck. Has anyone tried playing a crash game? Could it be my file or BIOS that's messing me up?

Go to the settings in Android and set it to forget your wifi connection, then set it back up.
This did not work for me, it switches from 1 to 5 to sometimes 9 MPS but dose not work anymore. Not sure if it has to do to the booster or widget I downloaded but it's way worse. I don't know, my Internet is not that great to begin with but it worked like a charm on two Gamesticks only once each.

This did not work for me, it switches from 1 to 5 to sometimes 9 MPS but dose not work anymore. Not sure if it has to do to the booster or widget I downloaded but it's way worse. I don't know, my Internet is not that great to begin with but it worked like a charm on two Gamesticks only once each.
Can always backup and reflash... don't know what else to tell you. Could always restart your router as well to see if it helps.

It's just strange it happened the same way on two devices on different days. It maybe my Internet. But both sticks ran HD videos good and then nothing at all. Idk. Still love the device don't get me wrong, just hoping its not my internet.

How can I make the GameStick recognize my external hard drive? I've tried many of the ntfs mounting programs available in google play but none of them are working.

Probably because it's NTFS and not FAT32.
But I'm just guessing, I haven't tried any externals yet other than my microSD.

Edit. Haha, yeah I see that's what the mounter is supposed to allow. Forgive my ignorance. I haven't done much android platform tinkering besides rooting my phone and Ouya.

I turned off the ethernet to turn on the Wi-Fi and then turned off the gamestick.

When I turned it back on the ethernet option was gone in the settings.

Is there a way to get it back without flashing?  Opening and closing this dock is a nightmare.

I know 64gb works... not sure if 128gb is as I'm not paying what they cost lol. If you're that concerned you can always grab a cheap external usb drive.
USB Drives Work?

That will work fine, I got an external partitioned with NTFS and FAT 32 I use for storing files for work backups.

Found that on snes9x you can turn off game audio and turn on the "mix with other apps" setting and it will allow google play music and other music apps to play while playing snes9x. I havent looked if any other emulators have this feature but its pretty awesome.

It wouldn't allow me to download my google play albums onto it but i was able to stream music just fine even while using my ps3 controller

Quick CAG question. I picked up the Gamestick but before I get started with setting everything up I need to buy a decent micro SD card. I have been looking at some off brand generic cards on Newegg that meet my CAG price standards but I don't know how any of these products perform or if they are to be trusted.

Any one have any recommendations for a cheaply priced micro SD that also performs reasonably well?

Thanks.
My favorite brand is Kingston. There are other good ones too but Kingston has never failed me.

I reinstalled spmc from play store the first day I had problems. It never wants to work though.
It'll load up but crashes once I choose anything.
Guess I'm stuck w tvmc, which works fine aside from the audio sync issue. I have to manually adjust it on everything.

Still no clue how to keep the controller active. Odd as everything usually lets you do that in settings.
This would be annoying to me if i had to adjust the audio offset for everything! Have you tried starting completely over? Wipe/factory reset and then install custom rom and go from there? Also does it give you an error when it crashes? I am using SPMC perfectly fine. No hiccups or anything like that. ALSO I did find out you can control most of the gamestick using a wired or wireless xbox 360 controller (with adapter of course). I could select my apps and do mostly whatever i wanted except when it came to the keyboard.

Did some more messing around with emulators, so here's an updated post of the ones that I found to be the best overall when using the GameStick:

• NES:  NES.emu FREE
    $0
  • decent emulation--used Super Mario Bros. 3 for my analysis
  • minor GameStick controller issue:  "Back" button is hard-coded to exit the program, so just set "Select" and "Start" to "L" and "R", respectively

[*]SNES Snes9x EX+
  • $0
  • decent emulation--used Super Mario World for my analysis
  • plays Starfox perfectly!

[*]SEGA Genesis:  MD.emu
  • $4.99
  • excellent emulation--used Sonic 3 for my analysis
  • SEGA Genesis emulators are slim pickings

[*]GBA MyBoy! FREE
  • $0
  • excellent emulation--used Mario Kart - Super Circuit for my analysis

QUICK NOTES REGARDING THE EMULATORS LISTED ABOVE:

• work well with the GameStick controller, though, as other have pointed out, the GameStick's Bluetooth creates performance issues
  • wired PS3 controller works wonderfully, and is auto-detected by each of the emulators (note:  button configs for GUI operations vary between emulator)
  • require Frameskip set to "Auto"
  • turn filtering to "off" (default is "Linear")
  • turn on Scanlines to tweak clean up appearance w/ minimal to no performance hit; adjust Scanline settings to suit your preference (I like them @ 25%)
  • Sound Buffer setting should be tweaked to manage performance vs. delay:  decreasing the value decreases/eliminates delay, but can also introduce performance and audio issues; in short:  find the sweet spot for each emulator.

CONCLUSION:  obviously not a single emulator has been optimized for the GameStick hardware, so, for individuals looking for a terrific device for emulating older consoles, plan on being disappointed due to middling performance--not even the NES emulation can run without skipped frames; however, if you're able to look past the aforementioned performance issues, it's tough to beat the $17, all-inclusive portability that the GameStick offers for casual emulation of the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles.

<p>

Did some more messing around with emulators, so here's an updated post of the ones that I found to be the best overall when using the GameStick:

• NES: NES.emu FREE$0
  • decent emulation--used Super Mario Bros. 3 for my analysis
  • minor GameStick controller issue: "Back" button is hard-coded to exit the program, so just set "Select" and "Start" to "L" and "R", respectively
  • NONE of the NES emulators perform as well as they should, which leads me to believe that the base code being used for them is poorly suited for the GameStick hardware.
[*]SNES: Snes9x EX+
  • $0
  • decent emulation--used Super Mario World for my analysis
[*]SEGA Genesis: MD.emu
  • $4.99
  • excellent emulation--used Sonic 3 for my analysis
[*]GBA: MyBoy! FREE ($0)
  • $0
  • excellent emulation--used Mario Kart - Super Circuit for my analysis

...and here's a quick list of notes regarding my selected emulators:
  • work well with the GameStick controller, though, as other have pointed out, the GameStick's Bluetooth creates performance issues
  • wired PS3 controller works wonderfully, and is auto-detected by each of the emulators (note: button configs for GUI operations vary between emulator)
  • turn on Scanlines to tweak clean up appearance w/ minimal to no performance hit; adjust Scanline settings to suit your preference (I like them @ 25%)
  • Sound Buffer setting should be tweaked to manage performance vs. delay: decreasing the value decreases/eliminates delay, but can also introduce performance and audio issues; in short: find the sweet spot for each emulator.
I used a wired Sixaxis to try and play games on SNES9x EX+ and it was not auto detected nor did it even register to my Gamestick. The player indicator lights on the back of the controller were flashing as it was charging by being wired, but how can you tell if the controller is being registered by the Gamestick?

• NES: NES.emu FREE
    $0
  • minor GameStick controller issue: "Back" button is hard-coded to exit the program, so just set "Select" and "Start" to "L" and "R", respectively
  • NONE of the NES emulators perform as well as they should, which leads me to believe that the base code being used for them is poorly suited for the GameStick hardware.

• $0

• $4.99

• $0

• wired PS3 controller works wonderfully, and is auto-detected by each of the emulators (note: button configs for GUI operations vary between emulator)
  • Sound Buffer setting should be tweaked to manage performance vs. delay: decreasing the value decreases/eliminates delay, but can also introduce performance and audio issues; in short: find the sweet spot for each emulator.
Great post! thanks for the info!

• NES: NES.emu FREE
    $0

• $0

• $4.99

• $0

NES.emu works great w an original DS3 though ;)

Any one have any recommendations for a cheaply priced micro SD that also performs reasonably well?

G.SKILL 32GB microSDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG32GA-C10 , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-577

Most reviewed item sold by newegg themselves. $15 after promo code/shipping for an 32gb is pretty good. My price per GB is $5/8gb $10/16gb and so on.

Not sure about performance as I've never worried about that in a micro SD. For most things you'll use it for it'll be able to transfer 10x what your working with per sec (me making assumptions

You do realize that all of those game systems only ran 30fps natively right?
Actually, they typically run at 60 FPS. Now, the PS1, if running in interlaced mode, did indeed have an effective frame rate of 30 FPS, although the engines themselves may run quite a bit lower. But most PS1 games actually didn't run in interlaced, they ran at the lower resolution modes, which do run at 60 FPS. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a prime example of a game affected a lot by lower frame rates, but almost all your polygonal games also didn't run at high resolution.

Plus, the NES, Genesis, GBA, and SNES all definitely ran at 60 FPS. They ran at what we would dub "240p", with varying resolutions (256 for NES/SNES and 320 for Genesis). GBA is different because it's using its own LCD, but it still shoots for the same update cycle. Dropping that frame rate to 30 FPS causes a very appreciable effect on the smoothness of the gameplay. You also tend to lose flicker-style effects, like the hit-invincibility in Castlevania, since the flashing alternates every other frame. You either stay solid or disappear completely at 30 FPS, depending on what frame it starts on. The SNES also has a high-resolution interlaced mode, but it's very rarely used as the CPU isn't beefy enough to push it in normal gameplay, so it's typically reserved for menus in a few odd games (Secret of Mana springs to mind).

Yes, I'm a nerd about these things.

I used a wired Sixaxis to try and play games on SNES9x EX+ and it was not auto detected nor did it even register to my Gamestick. The player indicator lights on the back of the controller were flashing as it was charging by being wired, but how can you tell if the controller is being registered by the Gamestick?
There's an entry in the emulator's Input Options menu that's for auto-detection of controllers. Plug the controller in, select the Auto-detect option, and then push any button on the controller--once you do these steps, you'll see the controller listed in the Input menu of the emulator, which will then allow you to config the buttons to your liking.

Hope this solves your issue!

G.SKILL 32GB microSDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG32GA-C10 , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-577

Most reviewed item sold by newegg themselves. $15 after promo code/shipping for an 32gb is pretty good. My price per GB is $5/8gb $10/16gb and so on.

Not sure about performance as I've never worried about that in a micro SD. For most things you'll use it for it'll be able to transfer 10x what your working with per sec (me making assumptions
Thanks for this--I was going to deal search on my own, but now I don't have to.

This may have been answered, but can anyone confirm that you can use a wired 360 controller and also use a bluetooth controller at the same time for multiplayer gaming?

I like to use the "-oid" emulators; NESoid, SNESoid, GBCoid; etc.

They're not in the Play store anymore, but as long as we're talking emulation, I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding them.

After playing a bit further, Genesis, SNES, NES, GBA, and a few N64 games work perfectly using a wireless 360 controller. Just wish I could get the PS1 emulation working a bit smoother, but I'm still thrilled and impressed with everything it's capable of doing.

After playing a bit further, Genesis, SNES, NES, GBA, and a few N64 games work perfectly using a wireless 360 controller. Just wish I could get the PS1 emulation working a bit smoother, but I'm still thrilled and impressed with everything it's capable of doing.
Could you post what tweaks you made?

My favorite brand is Kingston. There are other good ones too but Kingston has never failed me.
Thanks for the recommendations. I got tired of searching a few days ago and settled on a Samsung EVO 64GB class 10 for under $30 on Ebay. For anyone still looking, I also found SanDisk Ultra 64GB micro SD cards for about $24 on Ebay with free shipping. Pretty nice, link below...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181629455484?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the recommendations. I tired got tired of searching a few days ago and settled on a Samsung EVO 64GB class 10 for under $30 on Ebay. For anyone still looking, I also found SanDisk Ultra 64GB micro SD cards for about $24 on Ebay with free shipping. Pretty nice, link below...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181629455484?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Be careful with sd cards off ebay, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. I've gotten a few 64gb sd cards that were chinese crap that starts to overwrite files after 8gbs.

Be careful with sd cards off ebay, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. I've gotten a few 64gb sd cards that were chinese crap that starts to overwrite files after 8gbs.
I bought a 32gb card that could only hold like 2gb before it would start giving me errors.

Contra on Nesoid with GameStick:
http://youtu.be/R5znifJkt6k

Emulation is damn near perfect, just hard to record and play Contra lol

Forgive me if you already answered this as I am late to the thread, but what controller are you using? I found the GameStick controller to not work that well.

Thanks for the recommendations. I got tired of searching a few days ago and settled on a Samsung EVO 64GB class 10 for under $30 on Ebay. For anyone still looking, I also found SanDisk Ultra 64GB micro SD cards for about $24 on Ebay with free shipping. Pretty nice, link below...

The 64gb samsung EVOs were on sale for $26.99 on Amazon a few weeks ago. Most likely someone from SD trying to make a quick buck. Doesn't look like he made much money, though.

I bought a 32gb card that could only hold like 2gb before it would start giving me errors.
The 64gb samsung EVOs were on sale for $26.99 on Amazon a few weeks ago. Most likely someone from SD trying to make a quick buck. Doesn't look like he made much money, though.
Yeah, I buy stuff like this on Ebay only when it's new and sealed in it's original packaging and comes from sellers in the US. I guess there is still some risk involved with that but I've yet to run into any problems.

Sorry if I've derailed the thread with all this talk about memory cards. Back to the emulator goodness.

bread's done
Back