GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Im sorry to ask again but i am using kodi and i cant put the movies on full screen. Can someone show me how to do it please?. I am moving all the options but i just cant doit.

Im sorry to ask again but i am using kodi and i cant put the movies on full screen. Can someone show me how to do it please?. I am moving all the options but i just cant doit.
You may have to change the settings in kodi itself to 720p. or check your settings of the gamestick itself. I heard people having this problem with Kodi only. That is why I stuck to using SPMC or TVMC. I didnt have to change any settings and it plays fine.

Though I do have a question for any one. Has anyone successfully streamed a local 720p mkv file from the pc to the gamestick via spcm/tvmc and managed to have it work without buffering every so often? I cant be the only one having trouble. thanks.

I'm not yet very familiar at all with inner-workings/procedures/structures of android...

Is there a relatively easy way to duplicate (exact same structure, apps, etc.) one Game Stick to a second?

Is it possible to clone an an exact copy of an existing Game Stick to a second Game Stick (both sticks already modded to CF 1.4) without having to manually set the second stick up from scratch?

Any procedures that could be shared would be appreciated...

You may have to change the settings in kodi itself to 720p. or check your settings of the gamestick itself. I heard people having this problem with Kodi only. That is why I stuck to using SPMC or TVMC. I didnt have to change any settings and it plays fine.

Though I do have a question for any one. Has anyone successfully streamed a local 720p mkv file from the pc to the gamestick via spcm/tvmc and managed to have it work without buffering every so often? I cant be the only one having trouble. thanks.
Thank you so much for the response mate! It worked.

I'm not yet very familiar at all with inner-workings/procedures/structures of android...

Is there a relatively easy way to duplicate (exact same structure, apps, etc.) one Game Stick to a second?

Is it possible to clone an an exact copy of an existing Game Stick to a second Game Stick (both sticks already modded to CF 1.4) without having to manually set the second stick up from scratch?

I think there is but if you can't even handle just rooting a second one, then you are not going to like all the shit you have to do to just copy a rom over to the other one.

So does this ring up at $17 in store or do I have to a hold for pick up to get it at that price? I need to do some trade-ins and haven't done the pick up process before.

I think there is but if you can't even handle just rooting a second one, then you are not going to like all the shit you have to do to just copy a rom over to the other one.
I can handle it- As stated in original post above, both Game Sticks are already rooted... Not difficult.

I'm talking about saving time making a clone of the first Game Stick I now have working acceptably, without all the time needed to find reinstall all the apps, roms, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can handle it- As stated in original post above, both Game Sticks are already rooted... Not difficult.

I'm talking about saving time making a clone of the first Game Stick I now have working acceptably, without all the time needed to find reinstall all the apps, roms, etc.
I hear you but i am literally just going to tell you to stop being lazy and just do it yourself? I mean if you have a google account it should keep all your apps and then you just go through and download them again. I mean is it that tough to copy the micro sd over to another micro sd thats full of roms? I mean yea something like that would be neat, but I never thought it was too tough to copy my old android phone to my new one.

I hear you but i am literally just going to tell you to stop being lazy and just do it yourself? I mean if you have a google account it should keep all your apps and then you just go through and download them again. I mean is it that tough to copy the micro sd over to another micro sd thats full of roms? I mean yea something like that would be neat, but I never thought it was too tough to copy my old android phone to my new one.
Wow.

I'm not lazy in the least...

Everything installed was not from a google account. Updates to apps- plug-ins for apps- Mapping controls within apps- the roms are in different places as well.

Just the android settings of the stick and then the individual settings of every app installed take a great deal of time to set and get right.

Perhaps you have unlimited time to do this stuff, I do not. Thanks for your answers, but...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone else have any constructive answers to my original post?

Here is my original questions again:

So does this ring up at $17 in store or do I have to a hold for pick up to get it at that price? I need to do some trade-ins and haven't done the pick up process before.
You don't have to hold for pickup. Most of us just did that because stores typically carry a small number of these and didn't want to waste the drive. If you grab one from the shelf and walk to the register it should come up $16.97 and the dock should be $4.97.

Wow.

Everything installed was not from a google account. Updates to apps- plug-ins for apps- Mapping controls within apps- the roms are in different places as well.

Just the android settings of the stick and then the individual settings of every app installed take a great deal of time to set and get right.

Perhaps you have unlimited time to do this stuff, I do not. Thanks for your answers, but...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never imaged or cloned an Android device and it sounds like that's what you want. I'm sure it's possible, but honestly sounds like you need to have a pretty good understanding of how Android works under the UI. That being said I did find this in the Play Store that might do what you want: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackupPro

I found this also, might be useless: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/22631/clone-android-device

Since you have root access with CFW I'm thinking that the TitaniumBackupPro would be a good choice.

Link Pick the system you want to emulate. Then on the next page select Android as the platform you want to emulate on.
Okay, another update: downloaded the "-oid" series of emulators and, ugh, I am not impressed. I'm using the dock (extra cooling) and have the Bluetooth turned off, and the GameStick still only run NES games at what looks like 1/2 the fps of the original console. Frameskip set to "default"--which I assume is the same as "Auto"--seems to lock the games at 1/2 to 1/3 of the original fps, which actually starts to become disorienting.

The other emulators I tested seem to handle the fps better, so I think I'm going to stick with my original findings, and proclaim the GameStick as a "you get what you pay for" device when it comes running old-school emulators. Quite a bummer.

I have never imaged or cloned an Android device and it sounds like that's what you want. I'm sure it's possible, but honestly sounds like you need to have a pretty good understanding of how Android works under the UI. That being said I did find this in the Play Store that might do what you want: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackupPro

I found this also, might be useless: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/22631/clone-android-device

Since you have root access with CFW I'm thinking that the TitaniumBackupPro would be a good choice.
Thank you so much for the effort and response; I will look into these options. :applause:

Okay, another update: downloaded the "-oid" series of emulators and, ugh, I am not impressed. I'm using the dock (extra cooling) and have the Bluetooth turned off, and the GameStick still only run NES games at what looks like 1/2 the fps of the original console. Frameskip set to "default"--which I assume is the same as "Auto"--seems to lock the games at 1/2 to 1/3 of the original fps, which actually starts to become disorienting.

The other emulators I tested seem to handle the fps better, so I think I'm going to stick with my original findings, and proclaim the GameStick as a "you get what you pay for" device when it comes running old-school emulators. Quite a bummer.
Which controller are you using? I'm using a Dual Shock 3 via USB cable.

I'm using the dock, the ethernet port, and a wireless 360 controller with usb receiver. I've got both wifi and bluetooth turned off. The "oid" ones work the best for me in terms of frame rate, and play as close to the original systems as possible. The only downside I've found with them is that the picture quality is muddy compared to the other emulators. The other emulators look gorgeous, but their frame rates don't match the oids.

Which controller are you using? I'm using a Dual Shock 3 via USB cable.
So am I.

I'm using the dock, the ethernet port, and a wireless 360 controller with usb receiver. I've got both wifi and bluetooth turned off. The "oid" ones work the best for me in terms of frame rate, and play as close to the original systems as possible. The only downside I've found with them is that the picture quality is muddy compared to the other emulators. The other emulators look gorgeous, but their frame rates don't match the oids.
The "-oid" emulators seem to have a more stable framerate, but at the cost of it being lower than the newer emulators. IMHO, the "slideshow" effect is much more noticeable in the older ones.

I also see that the "-oid" emulators don't offer any filtering options, which I find quite odd. Maybe if they offered more tweaking, the end result would be higher fps?

You don't have to hold for pickup. Most of us just did that because stores typically carry a small number of these and didn't want to waste the drive. If you grab one from the shelf and walk to the register it should come up $16.97 and the dock should be $4.97.
Thanks for the info as there's a couple of Gamestops a little away from me but worth checking out with all the great responses here.

Wow.

Get Titanium Backup from the Google Play Store.

So am I.

The "-oid" emulators seem to have a more stable framerate, but at the cost of it being lower than the newer emulators. IMHO, the "slideshow" effect is much more noticeable in the older ones.

I also see that the "-oid" emulators don't offer any filtering options, which I find quite odd. Maybe if they offered more tweaking, the end result would be higher fps?
Hm, I'm not getting the lower framerates that you are. The oids are running fast and smooth for me, whereas the others can be choppy and just run slower in general. If it weren't for the muddier picture, it would be perfect.

13 days after the original post was made every gamestick in my area is now sold out. There were 13 stores (out of 13 stores) within 100 miles of me that had this (I'm assuming one each) and now they are all OOS.

A big thank you to zebular for allowing me to easily watch Justice League Throne of Atlantis on my big screen tv today.

Yeah they've sold out in most stores near me as well. I've bought 4 sets myself for my 2 tv's and giving away to family/friends but yeah, this thread seems to have helped gamestop unload them.
It's my favorite new toy of 2015.

Mine was working fine but now the launcher keeps freezing. And anytime I run an app it'll work fine for a while and then become unresponsive. I guess you get what you pay for
Check under your keyboard input to see if it has gamepad checked as a keyboard input. This happened to me and was causing me to think mine was defective. Unchecking it fixed it. I also have the greyed out Android keyboard. I assume it is from having the wireless keyboard off before I started the system. I haven't gotten the chance to get home and restart to test.

I am using a logitech wireless home keyboard w track pad setup and a wireless 360 controller. Sometimes the controller gets turned on before the keyboard and while I didn't get the chance to test after I figured out what was causing the crash, I am pretty sure it's powering on the controller before the wireless keyboard.

Holy crap, just read everything from page 1 up to now page 38....

My brain is MUSH...

bout to go grab one, a dock and an extra controller right now... 

Basically the draw on this is Android on a stick for $17  and the cherry on top is that it can do EMULATION and Stream movies/videos

Am I missing anything?

oNe

How do you plan on connecting the Genesis controller to the game stick. Do they make a Genesis to USB adapter?
Sorry posted the wrong link. It's this one. http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Inc-Genesis-GN6-USB-Controller/dp/B00KX75UT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1421466385&sr=1-1&keywords=genesis+usb&pebp=1421466418017&peasin=B00KX75UT6

Also they do make usb adapters for all the old controllers. Check out this site. http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21

Got the PS2 USB adapter I ordered... and I can't get the buttons to work. Not with the -oid apps anyway. The Dpad works but that's it.

I'll try some other emulators, unless someone knows a solution to this?

Which is the best emulator to run on this? I have all my roms on my sd and have tried retroarch but once it opens a rom it wont close it to open another.

Which is the best emulator to run on this? I have all my roms on my sd and have tried retroarch but once it opens a rom it wont close it to open another.
If you have a mouse connected right click is the equivalent of the back button.

That being said does anyone know the Android keyboard shortcut for Home?

If you have a mouse connected right click is the equivalent of the back button.

That being said does anyone know the Android keyboard shortcut for Home?
Not a direct answer to your question, I suppose, but...

I have used a Logitech K400 wireless USB keyboard with built-in touchpad and it works extremely well to control android. It has a "home" button on the top of the keyboard which always seems to work. That said, I don't know the key command for the "home" button; it just works out of the box.

I have used this keyboard along side of various controllers to great success; in fact I've found it so much easier, I just use both the K400 and various (bluetooth, USB wired/wireless) controller combo most of the time. I recommend the combo if you have the space for a full-sized keyboard.

Holy crap, just read everything from page 1 up to now page 38....

My brain is MUSH...

bout to go grab one, a dock and an extra controller right now...

Basically the draw on this is Android on a stick for $17 and the cherry on top is that it can do EMULATION and Stream movies/videos

Am I missing anything?

oNe
Would make better sense if the OP had frequently asked questions, as not everybody has the time to (re)read through 100+ pages. I suppose I'm going to today though since I need to make time to see if my gamestick even works. Might just make notes myself and if I do I will post on my blog.

Trying to install Genesis on a second Gamestick (first one was successful) and it's saying its incompatible. What am I doing wrong? It says dependencies not met at the bottom.

Maybe I need to update SPMC? Can't remember how I got the first stick to work. Was a couple weeks ago.

So I have a quick question

For the people who have the dock..

I am having issues with it..

So you put the stick in the dock, connect the the hdmi cable that came with it..then plug to your tv with the other end hdmi...and it is supposed to show up right?? It powers up the stick i assume??

Well mine does not do that..the gamestick works fine by itself but once in the dock it does display anything on the tv???

Am i missing something here??

So you put the stick in the dock, connect the the hdmi cable that came with it..then plug to your tv with the other end hdmi...and it is supposed to show up right?? It powers up the stick i assume??

Well mine does not do that..the gamestick works fine by itself but once in the dock it does display anything on the tv???

Silly question but...

In your post you don't mention plugging the dock into the wall. - Plugged-in?

The dock must use the included plug-in wall adapter.

Not to insult your intelligence but you turn on the dock right? You see lights correct?

Also with my TV I have to set my input to the gamestick then power it on. If I switch inputs and the game stick is already on I get a distdistorted image.

I picked up the Super Retro 16 app (  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neutronemulation.superretro16&hl=en ) and it has been working awesome.  The only trouble I am having is changing the buttons,  the gamestick's buttons are different than an snes controller.  When I go to the options for the controller I can't use the gamestick controller or keyboard to change things.  Has anyone been able to change their settings? I haven't bee able to get my apple mouse working for anything on the gamestick.

Thanks guys and a huge thanks to Zebular for posting this.  

Oh and for those having trouble with keyboards remember this thing is damn picky, at least when flashing. My ultra cheap dynex wouldn't work, a logitech didn't work, then a wireless hp combo did. Keep borrowing spares and trying. The logitech home keyboard w a built track pad for a mouse that has been previously recommended works great for everyday use with the device. I grabbed one after flashing and love it. I would toss another link up but I'm mobile.

On a side note it was an app called gamepadIme that kept trying to force its keyboard every time I booted and causing programs to freeze. I think I got it trying to get some of the retroarch emus to work but don't quote me on that. I uninstalled it (the gamepadIme app) and the individually dled emus still worked fine. I stopped having that keyboard issue though my android keyboard still is grayed out and can't be deselected even when the default input is changed if anyone has help for that it'd be great. I don't think I have it in me to reread this entire thread to see if I missed the answer from the other user having this issue.

bread's done
Back