GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Is there a way to download and install emulators other than off the "Play Store"?  Thanks Bartman for the kodi walk-through and of course a big thanks to zebular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please disregard my last question. I found an apk installer in the "Play Store". Again, Thanks to all whom contributed to this kick ass thread!

Okay. Next silly question...

Is the GameStick inserted in the dock upside down so that the dock and stick are not plugged together?

Is the dock slid fully closed so that the dock and GameStick are plugged together completely?

Okay. Next silly question...

Is the GameStick inserted in the dock upside down so that the dock and stick are not plugged together?

Is the dock slid fully closed so that the dock and GameStick are plugged together completely?
When I first used the dock I put the gamestick in wrong, it's easy to do.

Trying to install Genesis on a second Gamestick (first one was successful) and it's saying its incompatible. What am I doing wrong? It says dependencies not met at the bottom.

Maybe I need to update SPMC? Can't remember how I got the first stick to work. Was a couple weeks ago.
Figured it out. Uninstalled SPMC then reinstalled.

I picked this up on the day it was posted here, and i think it is well worth the 20 bucks (+shipping). Would i have gotten it at full price? Hell No lol. I would have felt totally ripped off, even after installing a close to stock version of android on it. It's very underpowered and it's tough to get emulators to run smooth on it, but it works decent as a media device. With SPMC and the right sources, it's well worth the 20 bones.

I picked this up on the day it was posted here, and i think it is well worth the 20 bucks (+shipping). Would i have gotten it at full price? Hell No lol. I would have felt totally ripped off, even after installing a close to stock version of android on it. It's very underpowered and it's tough to get emulators to run smooth on it, but it works decent as a media device. With SPMC and the right sources, it's well worth the 20 bones.
Yeah, they were $100 at launch... I'd been completely pissed to have that big pos controller if I'd paid that much.

Also, I still can't urge you guys enough to install Happy Chick.  Huge amount of emulators built into 1 and you can download the roms from within it.  Granted, some of the emulators are in chinese but you should be able to swap them out with the english versions in the appropriate folders.  If for nothing else it's just an easy way to get roms.

I haven't had to post a question about the Glory-Stick since its been going along quite swimmingly since i've gotten it. BUT, i am now trying to plug in my External Hard-drive (a measly 200 Gig one) that has its own AC power source. and i cant get the gamestick to recognize it? any ideas? suggestions? or answers? Thanks guys.

Edit: i also have it fully loaded with goodies and its fat32, AND i have my micro SD plugged into the stick itself. (clearly im hooking it all into the dock as well). I also tried starting the gamestick with the External HDD on before booting and off, then turning on while fully booted.

I sometimes find myself hauling my ps3 to friends' houses to watch some videos and thought of finding something smaller. This gamestick would seem to fit that purpose quite well. There are two stores in my city that still carry this. One of them was close to BB when I went for Alpha Sapphire but I had not seen this thread before. Hopefully its still in stock by then.

When I first used the dock I put the gamestick in wrong, it's easy to do.
Seems like it was put in the right way...i think it is a defect dock....i flipped the stick around..man could not even close it up..........While i was trying to pry my stick out of there..I smelled something burning...crap...so i unplugged the ac adapter..got some pliers to get my stick out...it burnt some of the plastic...just a little..

With the stick out turn on the dock...and i see smoke coming out of there!!!!

Ah well..good think the stick was still working :razz:

Seems like it was put in the right way...i think it is a defect dock....i flipped the stick around..man could not even close it up..........While i was trying to pry my stick out of there..I smelled something burning...crap...so i unplugged the ac adapter..got some pliers to get my stick out...it burnt some of the plastic...just a little..

With the stick out turn on the dock...and i see smoke coming out of there!!!!

Ah well..good think the stick was still working :razz:
Yeah I think you called it on this one bad dock. I get static around the power unit sometimes. Cheaply constructed as all hell to the point that I would be pissed if I had paid full price whatever that was but for 20 I can handle it since no stores have any to exchange for.

My issues:

1) I have been getting a core? crash msj that I don't know what is causing it, it just pops up the error msj and I press OK and all keeps working fine.

2) whenever I turn off the TV, the stick shows no screen like it was powered off, but it has it's light powered on the dock. so its like it's stuck.

its not underpowered at all for old school emulators. Just don't use the stock controller.

just grabbed one tonight and flashing cfw was a walk in the park. I thought i was having issues downloading from the play store, but it was just going SLOW! that and the play store updating in the background.

now, the hunt for a dock begins....

If anyone is looking for a gamestick i'm looking to sell/trade mine. I've upgraded to using my laptop on my tv so I no longer need it. It already has CFW on it and I have restored the settings.

I haven't had to post a question about the Glory-Stick since its been going along quite swimmingly since i've gotten it. BUT, i am now trying to plug in my External Hard-drive (a measly 200 Gig one) that has its own AC power source. and i cant get the gamestick to recognize it? any ideas? suggestions? or answers? Thanks guys.

Edit: i also have it fully loaded with goodies and its fat32, AND i have my micro SD plugged into the stick itself. (clearly im hooking it all into the dock as well). I also tried starting the gamestick with the External HDD on before booting and off, then turning on while fully booted.
Its not the gamestick thats not recognizing the hard drive; its android. by default its not set to recognize an external hard drive..you have to download a free app in the store (forgot its name) but it will detect your hard drive and mount it so that you can actually see it. You will have to run the program whenever you reboot the stick but its no big deal

Someone had recommended using Zero Cache with XBMC for streaming video. But I don't think the gamestick can handle it if it's a streaming HD video that exceeds 40min. For me when using zero cache for any HD video that exceeded 40 minutes, the video would crash periodically. So it's something to keep in mind if you enable zero cache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--NAkPVokyw

does this help? if not I am sorry.
I've upgraded my SPMC to kodi and got it running TVaddons Custom Wizard Edition but i dont have a istream tab. How do i get the istream tab?

The custom android rom
I'm nearly a complete layman regarding android. Is there a walk-through or a tutorial video you can point me to, even a phrase to Google would suffice. Googling "installing apk with android custom rom" just led me to people using various apps on the play store.

Many of the questions I've had have already been asked and answered. This is the internet at it's best: useful information being shared by many informed, smart, & helpful people. This and cat memes, jk ;)

Finally got some decent Internet and Genesis is working smoothly for me now, very cool. So can anyone tell me how to add tv shows to the "my genesis" tab?

I've upgraded my SPMC to kodi and got it running TVaddons Custom Wizard Edition but i dont have a istream tab. How do i get the istream tab?

I'm nearly a complete layman regarding android. Is there a walk-through or a tutorial video you can point me to, even a phrase to Google would suffice. Googling "installing apk with android custom rom" just led me to people using various apps on the play store.
If you have the game stick working with Android then you installed a (presumably) custom rom on the stick. The tutorial was the video in the op.

As for sideloading apk files use your micro sd card, put the files on there. Navigate to them from es Explorer (ext or ex sd card is the root directory you want) click em. You're off and running. At least I assume this is already set up to let you install unknown apps. Stuff you download would be on the internal sd card (just labeled sd card) under downloads. Again just click it. Click it good.

Dunno about istream as I am a xbmc novice. Also sports devil doesn't show as an add-on from where I grabbed Genesis. Would love some help getting that.

Haven't tried yet.

I'm having a problem with the dock and ethernet. It's all connected properly. Had it working earlier but had to reset the router and now no ethernet at all. Any tips?

When I plug in my wired xbox 360 controller the light ring around the power button blinks green instead of lighting up just the upper left portion of the ring for player 1 indication.  Do I need to do something to sync the controller or is it supposed to work this way?  I have never used this wired controller before so wasn't sure what to expect.

v5zolz.jpg

Thanks for the help.. This stays constant during all apps. Anyone else have this issue?

Has anyone been able to stream the NFL playoffs on anything?

Edit: NM, sportsdevil seems to work.

[quote name="Vulcan2422" post="12421547" timestamp="1421608948"]Haven't tried yet.

I'm having a problem with the dock and ethernet. It's all connected properly. Had it working earlier but had to reset the router and now no ethernet at all. Any tips?[/quote]
Do you still see the Ethernet option in settings?

Does anyone actually have a TV that powers the Gamestick by itself, without the USB power? I just got a new Vizio TV for Christmas and even it doesn't power the Gamestick.

Does anyone actually have a TV that powers the Gamestick by itself, without the USB power? I just got a new Vizio TV for Christmas and even it doesn't power the Gamestick.
I have it attached to 3 different TVs including a vizio and it works just fine off usb. Make sure it's the 5v usb. My vizio has 2 usb spots but one doesn't give enough power

Probably a stupid question but how do I exit the -oid emulators when they are running?  I was running NESoid last night just to see if it was working properly.  I did not have access to any menu buttons as far as I could tell.  So I could not go back to pick another game or to close the program.

I finally got around to trying this and got it to work fine the first time.  I haven't gotten xbmc set up yet, but I'll get around to it.  I need to see which I like better xbmc or plex.

I'm trying to decide the best method for controlling it.  I was thinking about a ps3 for emulators.  For the rest of the time, I could use my Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with trackpad.  I also have a Logitech harmony remote and a windows remote with a usb ir receiver.   I could use the remote or try to set my logitech harmony remote to work with the ir receiver.  Has anyone tried anything like that? 

I've seen some people mention that the psp emulator works good on this thing.  How well do they work?  I have a backlog of games on the psp to go through and I might try them on my gamestick.  They're mostly RPGs, like the Ys games.  I have most of my collection backed up.

I got my Gamestick and dock up and running with the android image.   It is a great little system for the money!

With that being said, the Gamestick isn't nearly as 'couch friendly' as my OUYA is.  This is almost entirely due to the OUYA 'Nostalgia' frontend program.   

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?4536-Nostalgia-Zamastyle

The good news is that the author of the app is working on a Play store version.  Who knows when it will become available though...  

Are there any other 'frontend' programs that will work on a stock Android system?   I'm thinking not.

When I plug in my wired xbox 360 controller the light ring around the power button blinks green instead of lighting up just the upper left portion of the ring for player 1 indication. Do I need to do something to sync the controller or is it supposed to work this way? I have never used this wired controller before so wasn't sure what to expect.
My wireless does the same but works fine.

I actually do have a setup that will send power to the Gamestick, but it's really unreliable. The Gamestick will power on, but it resets frequently.

My local GameStop had one left each of the console/controller bundle, dock, and extra controller.

I get home, open the main bundle, and the HDMI stick/console is missing. What the hecking heck. They said they'll process a refund for me but I'd rather have the console.

I looked everywhere around where I opened it, I don't think it just fell out.

What the heck do I do?

My local GameStop had one left each of the console/controller bundle, dock, and extra controller.

I get home, open the main bundle, and the HDMI stick/console is missing. What the hecking heck. They said they'll process a refund for me but I'd rather have the console.

I looked everywhere around where I opened it, I don't think it just fell out.

What the heck do I do?
check IN the controller?? since the controller has a spot to hold the Gamestick, but i guess you already did that... Time to hunt around town for another maybe??

check IN the controller?? since the controller has a spot to hold the Gamestick, but i guess you already did that... Time to hunt around town for another maybe??
Yup, it's in the top of the controller. THANK YOU! Especially since this isn't explained ANYWHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.

You replied right after I got another local GameStop to agree to send it to the closer store. So if I let them send it and just buy the new one (friend of mine wanted one if I got a second one), did they make an exception for me and would I be taking advantage of them? :)

Yeah, it's happened several times already in the thread - can be hard to find when you don't know where to look! :)

Yup, it's in the top of the controller. THANK YOU! Especially since this isn't explained ANYWHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.

You replied right after I got another local GameStop to agree to send it to the closer store. So if I let them send it and just buy the new one (friend of mine wanted one if I got a second one), did they make an exception for me and would I be taking advantage of them? :)

bread's done
Back