GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Yup, it's in the top of the controller. THANK YOU! Especially since this isn't explained ANYWHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.

You replied right after I got another local GameStop to agree to send it to the closer store. So if I let them send it and just buy the new one (friend of mine wanted one if I got a second one), did they make an exception for me and would I be taking advantage of them? :)
glad i could help. 1st place I checked when i got mine last weekend.

and is it taking advantage if you're still paying for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
v5zolz.jpg

Thanks for the help.. This stays constant during all apps. Anyone else have this issue?
Problem Solved - this was caused by RAM Booster App

can anybody suggest an app, off of Play Store or Amazon App Store, that lets me use my USB External Hard-drive (powered via A/C) on Android? for use with the dock? i tried a few and have gotten nowhere.

HALP! Re: flashing the CFW.

It...just won't go into recovery. Keep the button down with a fingernail or paperclip as I plug in the USB, let go after the light goes on...and it boots to the stock launcher.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

It...just won't go into recovery. Keep the button down with a fingernail or paperclip as I plug in the USB, let go after the light goes on...and it boots to the stock launcher.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
are you pulling the switch down or pushing it in??

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
you SHOULD hear or feel a very faint click, when you get it down. (pull it down) i used a small eyeglass flathead screwdriver with one hand while very slowly plugging in the usb mini into the stick, THEN i would count to like 6 before letting the button go, then it should light up right afterwards.

haven't tried yet, but i used to use stickmount https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount with previous android devices.... i do know the formatting of the device also matters.... but it's ben a LONG while
i was under the assumption that stickmount was for the Nexus style tablets. but ill give it a shot anyways, thx for the idea.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
it shouldnt light up until AFTER you release the button.

Interesting, from stock if you go into recovery and do all of the wipes and factory restore without installing an *.img it will boot into vanilla android 4.1.2.

Just picked mine up. Cashier said his boss would be very happy, apparently five people just this week have placed a hold on one and just not showing up. Admit it guys, who was that?

finally got around to opening mine;

cant get keyboard or mouse to work. Dont have any other keyboards to try.

Unfortunate but looking like I may have to return this..

Actually making some headway, trying to get someone with more experience working on this to bring us a possible Lollipop rom!

ok, my 1st issue.... after being off all night and day, once powered up, if i use my mouse at all, the screen blanks out. if i dont use the mouse, all is good.

Super dumb question but how do I pair the GameStick controller under the CFW? As in I know how to pair a device in Android, I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do specifically with this controller.

Thanks!

ok, my 1st issue.... after being off all night and day, once powered up, if i use my mouse at all, the screen blanks out. if i dont use the mouse, all is good.
Sounds like it's trying to draw too much power from the usb port... I'm assuming you have it powered through the tv's usb? Try a wall outlet with the supplied AC adapter.

Super dumb question but how do I pair the GameStick controller under the CFW? As in I know how to pair a device in Android, I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do specifically with this controller.

Thanks!
Go to Settings within android and then select bluetooth devices, then hold the power button down on the controller so that it's blinking and then click "search for devices" repeat if it doesn't pick it up the first time. After it shows up on available devices, click on it and it will say pairing.

Sounds like it's trying to draw too much power from the usb port... I'm assuming you have it powered through the tv's usb? Try a wall outlet with the supplied AC adapter.
i am using the supplied adapter. i can reset to default, and it will continue to work untill the next time i unplug it overnight.

Probably a stupid question but how do I exit the -oid emulators when they are running? I was running NESoid last night just to see if it was working properly. I did not have access to any menu buttons as far as I could tell. So I could not go back to pick another game or to close the program.
I had that issue, a reboot cleared it up for me.

@ashram, did you by any chance install busybox from the play store? If you did, that's what is causing the screen to go black/blank with the mouse. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to reinstall the *.img

Just got mine for $17 tonight from GS. They're willing to transfer the dock for me from another store if I want it. Easiest firmware flash I've ever tried to do, huge thanks to Jake F on youtube for the tutorials and collected links and to this fine, upstanding community of gentlemen and ladies.

So far I've installed Popcorn Time more for curiosities sake, the 1080p was buffering and stuttering not so well, but Youtube works great and I'm assuming Netflix will, too. I've installed Happy Chick for emulation, gonna explore XBMC because that's all new to me. What other Apps would you folks highly recommend? 

@ashram, did you by any chance install busybox from the play store? If you did, that's what is causing the screen to go black/blank with the mouse. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to reinstall the *.img
Why yes I did! Oh well, was fix since everything is on my SD card :) thanks!

Got a few combos and docks when this first posted and finally had a chance to wrench on the stick. Easy install of CFW - took no more than 30min and I used a generic USB Microsoft Keyboard(with plugged in and y splitter). Going to work on it more tonight with a mouse/controller

or

The K400 is on sale for $20 at BB and WM right now - others have had luck with this keyboard/mouse combo - link

***Cant wait for Lollipop - good news today, thanks Zebular for a great thread!

Got a few combos and docks when this first posted and finally had a chance to wrench on the stick. Easy install of CFW - took no more than 30min and I used a generic USB Microsoft Keyboard(with plugged in and y splitter). Going to work on it more tonight with a mouse/controller

or

The K400 is on sale for $20 at BB and WM right now - others have had luck with this keyboard/mouse combo - link

***Cant wait for Lollipop - good news today, thanks Zebular for a great thread!
I'd totally recommend the K400 with this - it even has a "home" button on the keyboard that works like an android home button!

Quick question and I'm sure it's been answered but it's hard to sift through 40 pages. I flashed mine and downloaded emulators. Most are working but the game stick controller won't work with my nes emulator, and on the n64 emulator I'm getting a lot of pop in for Mario 64 and can't seem to find anything to help me make it run better. Any help would be appreciated.

Also is there better emulators for Android than others for this?

Just got mine for $17 tonight from GS. They're willing to transfer the dock for me from another store if I want it. Easiest firmware flash I've ever tried to do, huge thanks to Jake F on youtube for the tutorials and collected links and to this fine, upstanding community of gentlemen and ladies.

So far I've installed Popcorn Time more for curiosities sake, the 1080p was buffering and stuttering not so well, but Youtube works great and I'm assuming Netflix will, too. I've installed Happy Chick for emulation, gonna explore XBMC because that's all new to me. What other Apps would you folks highly recommend?
How is HappyChick working out for you?

Just wanted to share my experience on this...

Managed to pickup the last one in Pleasant Hill, CA for $16.99 + tax.  Very helpful GameStop employee.  The GameStick was placed on hold since the 13th, and I guess the buyer called and asked for it to be held until the 18th.  The GameStop employee said it has almost been a week, and called the buyer.  He left a voicemail, but immediately got a call back from the buyer.  Employee asked if they're going to pick it up tomorrow (the 18th) because someone wants to buy it.  I just heard "so it's OK to sell it?"  Nice :)

Followed the video guide, but my initial install got stuck during the Android setup.  I booted into recovery again, wiped everything, and tried again; no problem :)

Working really nice so far; MUCH better than Android-x86 on my laptop.  I picked up a Logitech K400 at Best Buy last night for $20 to go along with it; works seamlessly.

Thank you OP :)

Am i the only one dreading the upcoming Re-configuration struggle if we do in fact get Lollipop on this thing? ive spent 3 weeks polishing the interface as is....ugh...(1st world problems)

Hey zebular,

I've been poking around and trying to learn more about XBMC / Kodi and TV ADDONS and I came across this:

http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/

I know SPMC comes installed on the custom ROM, but I was wondering if TVMC was worth a look too.

Looks like SPMC and TVMC are both running on Kodi 13.2, but as others have stated the latest is 14.

Also, idk if you can answer this, but what repository(ies) are you using for TV ADDONS?

I've been hunting around the web and found the Fusion Installer and Addon Installer:

http://www.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/
http://www.tvaddons.ag/addon-installer-kodi/

Seems you need Fusion to install Addon.

Not sure if that's what you're using.

Thanks!

Hey zebular,

I've been poking around and trying to learn more about XBMC / Kodi and TV ADDONS and I came across this:

http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/

I know SPMC comes installed on the custom ROM, but I was wondering if TVMC was worth a look too.

Looks like SPMC and TVMC are both running on Kodi 13.2, but as others have stated the latest is 14.

Also, idk if you can answer this, but what repository(ies) are you using for TV ADDONS?

I've been hunting around the web and found the Fusion Installer and Addon Installer:

http://www.tvaddons.ag/addon-installer-kodi/

Seems you need Fusion to install Addon.

Not sure if that's what you're using.

Thanks!
I have used Kodi on my Ouya and use the Addon. Loads everything. Use Primewire/1channel, Icefilms and/or Genesis for movies/TV and USTVNOW for live stream of locals(well, Pennsylvania locals). Also lookup vdubt25 for streaming.

I have used Kodi on my Ouya and use the Addon. Loads everything. Use Primewire/1channel, Icefilms and/or Genesis for movies/TV and USTVNOW for live stream of locals(well, Pennsylvania locals). Also lookup vdubt25 for streaming.
Cool; thanks for the info! :)

I'll have to give those addons a shot soon ^_^

Cool; thanks for the info! :)

I'll have to give those addons a shot soon ^_^
Don't use TVMC, it's an old build of XBMC (gotham) which doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled. 1080p and 720p videos will be out of sync with it. I've actually sent the TVADDONS guys a message on facebook about updating the TVMC package with Kodi 14.0, they never responded. TVMC was actually on the Google Store for a WHOLE DAY for $.99 before Google took it off lol.

You want to get Kodi 14 Android ARM build and then install TVADDONS through the Fusion wizard.

Kodi
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/kodi-14.0-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk

TVADDONS

Am i the only one dreading the upcoming Re-configuration struggle if we do in fact get Lollipop on this thing? ive spent 3 weeks polishing the interface as is....ugh...(1st world problems)
Don't worry about it too much, it might get put on the backburner for a bit. It's come to my attention that Lollipop is based off a new framework instead of Xposed like the later builds of Android, which means a lot of apps don't support it yet. So, updating to Lollipop at this point would be kind of pointless. I will still be looking into porting KitKat as it's still Xposed based.

Don't worry about it too much, it might get put on the backburner for a bit. It's come to my attention that Lollipop is based off a new framework instead of Xposed like the later builds of Android, which means a lot of apps don't support it yet. So, updating to Lollipop at this point would be kind of pointless. I will still be looking into porting KitKat as it's still Xposed based.
i think kitkat would be just fine.... also if they would release the kernel source, that would be even better....

Interesting, from stock if you go into recovery and do all of the wipes and factory restore without installing an *.img it will boot into vanilla android 4.1.2.
Old post I know, but this is really interesting! Could be useful if I mess up my custom ROM somehow, as I don't have a microSD card (borrowed the one from my gf's phone; really need to get my own though :p)

Don't use TVMC, it's an old build of XBMC (gotham) which doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled. 1080p and 720p videos will be out of sync with it. I've actually sent the TVADDONS guys a message on facebook about updating the TVMC package with Kodi 14.0, they never responded. TVMC was actually on the Google Store for a WHOLE DAY for $.99 before Google took it off lol.

You want to get Kodi 14 Android ARM build and then install TVADDONS through the Fusion wizard.

Kodi
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/kodi-14.0-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk

TVADDONS
Thanks for the informative post! I actually installed Kodi 14 (I think I saw that in one of your posts / videos) but I haven't installed any addons yet. I can't wait to give some of the addons a try :)

**edit**

If for some reason, this is just a misunderstanding, I apologize and will delete this post.

Old post I know, but this is really interesting! Could be useful if I mess up my custom ROM somehow, as I don't have a microSD card (borrowed the one from my gf's phone; really need to get my own though :p)

Thanks for the informative post! I actually installed Kodi 14 (I think I saw that in one of your posts / videos) but I haven't installed any addons yet. I can't wait to give some of the addons a try :)
I was actually wrong about that first part... apparently the GS I bought a couple days ago was a return and they flashed the cfw firmware on it already lol. Only reason I know that's the case is because I tried it on another one that the box was still sealed and it went back to the standard GS OS. Apparently this little custom firmware is getting around because of this post and my youtube video lol.

As for Kodi and tvaddons goes, I got rid of my cable tv and only pay for internet. That's how good some of those add-ons are.

@zebular, I normally don't do this, but I have to say something. While I appreciate you getting the word out on the deal and cfw, please do not pass someone else's work as your own. As far as the cfw, all you have done is taken the orignal files and rehosted them. The original developer of the cfw is shanti on gamestickers.net http://gamestickers.net/index.php?topic=320.0

The bolded part in the above quote is what really irked me. You are trying to pass yourself off as the developer, but you don't even know what Xposed framework is. Xposed is not even a part of regular Android. It's a hack developed to inject itself into the Android framework to allow modular changes/customizations. The difference between Lollipop and KitKat (and older) is the runtime. Lollipop uses ART (Android RunTime) whereas KK uses Dalvik. The incompatibility, comes from the fact that Xposed has not been updated to work with ART.

How do I know that you're not shanti? Look at what you posted here on Jan 19th and look at what was posted on gamestickers the next day, http://gamestickers.net/index.php?topic=320.msg2358#msg2358 It's the exact same quote by a user named jfriedel. In fact, in the same thread, jfriedel asked shanti to look into porting Lollipop/KK over from a similar device. http://gamestickers.net/index.php?topic=320.msg2355#msg2355

Please keep helping people out by answering questions, but don't take credit for someone else's work. If anything, put a source link in the op. Heck, your thread got me to buy one as I totally forgot that the device even existed.

If for some reason, this is just a misunderstanding, I apologize and will delete this post.
You will notice in the video I give all credit to shanti and I'm working with several others from xda developers to get kitkat on this, thank you for your concern though. Also note that the youtube account is Jake F, yes I am very much jfriedel on gamestickers and xda devs. I'm also familiar with the xposed framework as it was a requirement to enable several must have modules on the Ouya. Right now I'm trying to get Christian Troy (well known in the xda devs) to help port KitKat since he has it running on another android device that's very similar to the GameStick.

You will notice in the video I give all credit to shanti and I'm working with several others from xda developers to get kitkat on this, thank you for your concern though. Also note that the youtube account is Jake F, yes I am very much jfriedel on gamestickers and xda devs.
I never watched the video, so I never saw that you gave the credit there. I apologize for the misunderstanding, but why not also give credit in the first post as a link or something. This would have prevented the confusion in the first place.

I never watched the video, so I never saw that you gave the credit there. I apologize for the misunderstanding, but why not also give credit in the first post as a link or something. This would have prevented the confusion in the first place.
Mostly because I started this thread as a standard good deal for an android device. Never did I think it would take off the way it did. The only reason I've ever kept from linking to other sources is because of the amount of confusion people were already giving each other, such as with the whole cfw version fiasco when in fact all versions are the same rom with different apks pre-installed.

bread's done
Back