GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Ha. Guess there are worse habits to have... ;)

I have an android device problem...
20150120_183029.jpg

Ha. Guess there are worse habits to have... ;)
All 3 Ouyas are running something different (stock, Cyanogenmod 11, hardware modified w/ 2ghz overclock kernel CM 11).

Couple of the Gamesticks are for friends and 1 is being torn apart right now to see if there's any hardware improvements that can be made for better bluetooth/wifi reception and/or heat distribution.

Still want to get cyanogenmod on my Ouya. Is there a guide you'd recommend over others?

All 3 Ouyas are running something different (stock, Cyanogenmod 11, hardware modified w/ 2ghz overclock kernel CM 11).

Couple of the Gamesticks are for friends and 1 is being torn apart right now to see if there's any hardware improvements that can be made for better bluetooth/wifi reception and/or heat distribution.

I don't think zebular was trying to pass anyone's work off as his own.

Much like thousands of other people who post Youtube tutorials, he was simply trying to assist those who may not otherwise put in the effort to figure out a CFW install.

I appreciate what you're trying to do nm3th, but I'm vicariously offended that you would accuse him as such. Look at how many posts the poor guy has replied to over the past 42 pages.

He clearly credited shanti in the video, it's not his fault you missed that. Give him a break.

20150120_184437.jpg
20150120_184425.jpg

Awesome, by the looks of it if we can get kernel access to overclock it there should be no reason you couldn't just use an exacto knife to cut out a couple squares in the cheap plastic cover to add  some copper heat sinks to the processor and ram chips.

Still want to get cyanogenmod on my Ouya. Is there a guide you'd recommend over others?
I wish eternityproject.eu was still up, he's the guy that made the oc kernel and had a great tutorial on how to use the android sdk to adb files over to the Ouya. Sadly, he kinda just disappeared which is a shame because his OC kernel is set at 2ghz which is usually incredibly unstable without cooling modifications and he was going to create one that was open for adjustment that was set at a base of 1.7ghz which standard cooling would support.

Here's the best tutorial that's left (which isn't much of a tutorial):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2692843

Last edited by a moderator:
How is HappyChick working out for you?
I only tried it out for a minute just before bed yesterday. Installed the .apk and tried Mario Kart DS, downloaded in seconds and the GameStick controller worked right out of the gate without having to set up anything.

I am excited to see which of my 4 year old's education games work well on this. I installed Small Things Forever(Look and find game) and had a blast playing with my wife and daughter, looks fantastic on my 39" tv.

20150120_184437.jpg
20150120_184425.jpg

Awesome, by the looks of it if we can get kernel access to overclock it there should be no reason you couldn't just use an exacto knife to cut out a couple squares in the cheap plastic cover to add some copper heat sinks to the processor and ram chips.
Where are the wifi/BT antennas? We're they on the plastic casing?

I don't think zebular was trying to pass anyone's work off as his own.

Much like thousands of other people who post Youtube tutorials, he was simply trying to assist those who may not otherwise put in the effort to figure out a CFW install.

I appreciate what you're trying to do nm3th, but I'm vicariously offended that you would accuse him as such. Look at how many posts the poor guy has replied to over the past 42 pages.

He clearly credited shanti in the video, it's not his fault you missed that. Give him a break.
I've already edited my post. Again, I apologize to zebular. I should have brought it up in pm instead. I never bothered with the video because I got the files from the other site instead. Like I said earlier, a mention in the op (in writing) would have prevented this. It's pretty customary (like on xda) to give credit to others in the first post of the thread.

Back on topic, has anyone tried to modify the fan in the dock to make it quieter? It's pretty load when it kicks in as others have mentioned. I might have some time later this weekend and will try to open it up. If I'm successful, I'll post a write-up.

Again, thank you zebular for posting about deal.

I actually installed a cheapo ($10) chinese wifi repeater in my parents home right next to the tv with the gamestick plugged in.  Went from a 5mbps connection to a constant 65mbps.  Just an idea for anyone struggling with connection problems.

This is the one I bought but there are actually a few cheaper ones that should do just as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Wireless-N-802-11-Wifi-Repeater-AP-Range-Router-Extender-Signal-Booster-/261652450439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cebb38c87

I ended up being close to a gamestop with the unit and dock in stock when I took my wife's car in for an oil change. So now what LOL...just kidding I'll start at the OP.

I believe this is it... If you guys wonder why the Ouya and GameStick get terrible reception, this is why lol.
20150120_184425-1.jpg
Oh man that's just awful, one step above NFC. Now I have that itch to physically mod this thing. Get a project case, some Arctic Silver adhesive epoxy, a soldering iron and some copper heat sinks.

Interesting. I assume you just plug an ethernet cable into one?

Any additional setup required?

I actually installed a cheapo ($10) chinese wifi repeater in my parents home right next to the tv with the gamestick plugged in. Went from a 5mbps connection to a constant 65mbps. Just an idea for anyone struggling with connection problems.

This is the one I bought but there are actually a few cheaper ones that should do just as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Wireless-N-802-11-Wifi-Repeater-AP-Range-Router-Extender-Signal-Booster-/261652450439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cebb38c87

Interesting. I assume you just plug an ethernet cable into one?

Any additional setup required?
No, you actually connect a ethernet cable to it and a computer, log into the device and select your wifi, enter your password and then disconnect it. Then you just plug it into any wall outlet and it boosts the range from wherever you plugged it in, no wires.

Hey guys. I tried using that happy chick emulator app and got to play about 5 minutes of Mario Bros 3 and the Gamestick reboot itself. I tried it again after it rebooted and the same thing happened while playing. I tried a different emulator and the same thing happens. Any ideas? Or is it just over heating?

I bought a second Gamestick for my mother, but now I just realized she's using an older TV that doesn't even have an hdmi port. Do you think it's even worth it to buy some kind of component to hdmi switch or composite to hdmi switch? If not I have a couple friends who I'm pretty damn sure will be interested in this Gamestick.

It's one of those weird TV's that came out during the transition from Tube to flatscreen. It is HD, but it's definitely not 1080p, it's not even widescreen. It's 4:3... and it weighs like 100 lbs.

Could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of an APK file for HappyChick? I've searched and searched, nothing so far. I think it was removed from the Playstore?

Got a few combos and docks when this first posted and finally had a chance to wrench on the stick. Easy install of CFW - took no more than 30min and I used a generic USB Microsoft Keyboard(with plugged in and y splitter). Going to work on it more tonight with a mouse/controller

or

The K400 is on sale for $20 at BB and WM right now - others have had luck with this keyboard/mouse combo - link

***Cant wait for Lollipop - good news today, thanks Zebular for a great thread!
I second the K400
It's great for this.

Tempted to buy another one.

Setup SPMC with Addons and no beans with streaming(setup fine, speed of wireless was horrible). Netflix played/signed in fine, but was low res. Added a speedtest apk and am getting a 1 Mbps D/L - HORRIBLE on a 50 Mbps plan. Internet Booster (root) brought it up a little, but not enough. Turned off the bluetooth and it did not help either. My router is in the basement right below my GS. Going to hook up the dock today to see if this improves it with direct network connection.

Installed Nesoid with Achievements from the Play store and it is laggy - tested Super Mario 1 and it was unplayable. Not sure if I missed a frame setup tip, but hope there is a way to fix this. I used the GS gamepad - not sure if this was the issue as the response of movement and buttons was fine - just had some lag.

Also, purchased the K400 from WM for $20, that combo works awesome, a must for this setup.

Hope someone can shed some light on some tips/tricks to fix my emulator issues. I think/hope the internet speed will increase with the dock.

I was actually wrong about that first part... apparently the GS I bought a couple days ago was a return and they flashed the cfw firmware on it already lol. Only reason I know that's the case is because I tried it on another one that the box was still sealed and it went back to the standard GS OS. Apparently this little custom firmware is getting around because of this post and my youtube video lol.
Out of curiosity, if I wipe my GameStick from the recovery menu (all 3 wipes) and then try booting it up (after having installed the CFW before), what would happen?

I have an android device problem...
+1 one on "there are worse habits to have" :p
Lucky you on finding all those GameSticks though; the closest ones to my house are about 30 miles away :O

Luckily I really only need one... although I'm tempted to buy another (don't even have another TV to use it on though, lol :p)

I ended up being close to a gamestop with the unit and dock in stock when I took my wife's car in for an oil change. So now what LOL...just kidding I'll start at the OP.
Same here! I was at my Grandma's house which was very close to a GameStop that had one in stock :)

Hey guys. I tried using that happy chick emulator app and got to play about 5 minutes of Mario Bros 3 and the Gamestick reboot itself. I tried it again after it rebooted and the same thing happened while playing. I tried a different emulator and the same thing happens. Any ideas? Or is it just over heating?
Is your GameStick running off the TV's USB port or via the USB to wall adapter?

I was having a similar problem when running off the TV's USB port, but it was solved with the wall adapter.

Both supply 5 volts, but the amperage might vary. Could be it's trying to draw too much power and shutting down; that's what mine was doing.

I bought a second Gamestick for my mother, but now I just realized she's using an older TV that doesn't even have an hdmi port. Do you think it's even worth it to buy some kind of component to hdmi switch or composite to hdmi switch? If not I have a couple friends who I'm pretty damn sure will be interested in this Gamestick.

It's one of those weird TV's that came out during the transition from Tube to flatscreen. It is HD, but it's definitely not 1080p, it's not even widescreen. It's 4:3... and it weighs like 100 lbs.
I don't think it's worth it. Last time I checked, HDMI to component / composite devices are kinda expensive. Converting the video wouldn't be hard, but the audio requires work (converting from digital to analog).

I second the K400
It's great for this.

+1; it's amazing how flawlessly it works out of the box in Android!

Setup SPMC with Addons and no beans with streaming(setup fine, speed of wireless was horrible). Netflix played/signed in fine, but was low res. Added a speedtest apk and am getting a 1 Mbps D/L - HORRIBLE on a 50 Mbps plan. Internet Booster (root) brought it up a little, but not enough. Turned off the bluetooth and it did not help either. My router is in the basement right below my GS. Going to hook up the dock today to see if this improves it with direct network connection.

Installed Nesoid with Achievements from the Play store and it is laggy - tested Super Mario 1 and it was unplayable. Not sure if I missed a frame setup tip, but hope there is a way to fix this. I used the GS gamepad - not sure if this was the issue as the response of movement and buttons was fine - just had some lag.

Also, purchased the K400 from WM for $20, that combo works awesome, a must for this setup.

Hope someone can shed some light on some tips/tricks to fix my emulator issues. I think/hope the internet speed will increase with the dock.
I forget which page, but the OP (and others) reported that using the GameStick controller actually causes emulation issues. Try using another input method and see if that helps. This thing should definitely be powerful enough to run decent games, especially NES.

I forget which page, but the OP (and others) reported that using the GameStick controller actually causes emulation issues. Try using another input method and see if that helps. This thing should definitely be powerful enough to run decent games, especially NES.
Cool, thanks. I didn't want to hunt through pages. I am going to try the OUYA controller tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Nice, thanks. I tried to go to that site on my tablet but it didn't work, looks like it's good on my pc though, going to try it later tonight
I just download this and installed on my phone - this app is tight!!! I hope it works just as well on the GS and I might buy a few more.

I just download this and installed on my phone - this app is tight!!! I hope it works just as well on the GS and I might buy a few more.
Yeah I really liked what I saw from Jake's video, looking forward to trying it out later. Has to be better than Retroarch

hello I'm new to cheapassgamer and I was unable to make a post on the thread earlier in the week. I found a cheap hdmi stick on TigerDirect named Craig Smart TV HDMI Adapter and it has Google Android 4.1, Im not sure if this is any more powerful than the gamestick but I thought this could be good for the community here since it could be a good deal since its only 25 bux at the moment. There are no more gamestick being sold near my area. It was 20bux earlier in the week but i wasnt able to post on here yet. Unfortunately it also does not allow me to post a link on here yet. Just search craig smart on TigerDirect search

Is your GameStick running off the TV's USB port or via the USB to wall adapter?

I was having a similar problem when running off the TV's USB port, but it was solved with the wall adapter.

Both supply 5 volts, but the amperage might vary. Could be it's trying to draw too much power and shutting down; that's what mine was doing.
If thats all it was that would be great! thank you for the response! I will try later tonight and get back to everyone.

hello I'm new to cheapassgamer and I was unable to make a post on the thread earlier in the week. I found a cheap hdmi stick on TigerDirect named Craig Smart TV HDMI Adapter and it has Google Android 4.1, Im not sure if this is any more powerful than the gamestick but I thought this could be good for the community here since it could be a good deal since its only 25 bux at the moment. There are no more gamestick being sold near my area. It was 20bux earlier in the week but i wasnt able to post on here yet. Unfortunately it also does not allow me to post a link on here yet. Just search craig smart on TigerDirect search
Apparently it doesn't have google play on it out of the box, but it looks like you have to do a mail in rebate for the other $10 off. Wouldn't mind playing around with one and seeing what kind of recovery menu they have built into them, if you could install clockwork mod recovery on it putting gapps (google apps) on it would be a breeze.

I know this was discussed earlier but I am switching from tvmc to kodi. Tvmc was able to playback fullscreen picture and sound without sync issues but kodi playback was off-center. Is there a way to fix the video playback issue on kodi?

I know this was discussed earlier but I am switching from tvmc to kodi. Tvmc was able to playback fullscreen picture and sound without sync issues but kodi playback was off-center. Is there a way to fix the video playback issue on kodi?
Set your resolution to 720p, only way to fix it so far. Otherwise SPMC does full 1080p but is an older build of Kodi/XBMC.

Haven't touched my Gamestick in a while (heh) so I decided to play with it some more (heh heh).  Installed Happy Chick with no problems, played Knights of the Round on MAME.  A little jerky but playable.  But I only played for maybe a half-hour if that and by the time I was done, my Gamestick was super hot.  I'd get the dock if the nearest Gamestop with one in stock near me was closer than an hour away.

I was wondering is there an off or sleep command in this device that I'm missing.  I don't want to leave it on all the time and couldn't find anything.

Haven't touched my Gamestick in a while (heh) so I decided to play with it some more (heh heh). Installed Happy Chick with no problems, played Knights of the Round on MAME. A little jerky but playable. But I only played for maybe a half-hour if that and by the time I was done, my Gamestick was super hot. I'd get the dock if the nearest Gamestop with one in stock near me was closer than an hour away.
I haven't noticed my GameStick being super hot (warm for sure) but then again I haven't tried any emulation on it.
If heat becomes an issue, my plan is to attach a USB powered fan to the unit, probably with something primitive like zipties, but it should work :p Might be easier than getting a dock (which I hear has a super-loud fan).

I was wondering is there an off or sleep command in this device that I'm missing. I don't want to leave it on all the time and couldn't find anything.
There's no power button on the unit. If you power it via the wall adapter, it'll be on all the time. If you power it via the USB port on your TV (if your TV has one) it'll turn off and on with the TV.

Side note: I pressed what looks like the power button on my K400 and my GameStick did seem to power off. Unfortunately, pressing it again didn't turn it back on.

I was wondering is there an off or sleep command in this device that I'm missing. I don't want to leave it on all the time and couldn't find anything.
I have to reset my date and time every time I turn mine off which is annoying. Equally annoying is the loud fan that runs periodically when I leave the dock on so I don't have to reset my date and time.

Set your resolution to 720p, only way to fix it so far. Otherwise SPMC does full 1080p but is an older build of Kodi/XBMC.
I've personally been using SPMC (with the good fusion add-ons) with zero problems (other then the expected problems) since i picked up my Glory-Stick 3 weeks ago. whats the Difference from using Kodi 14 from SPMC? my only issue is the possibility of crashes during a mass downloading run of more then 5 files at a time. (oh and downloading from Phoenix is a *&%$# sometimes too)

I have to reset my date and time every time I turn mine off which is annoying. Equally annoying is the loud fan that runs periodically when I leave the dock on so I don't have to reset my date and time.
make sure your date is set to "automatic", AND make sure you choose your correct "time zone" as well in the settings. (i hated the fact that i was stuck in the 70's in January) its a common problem for new users.

I second the K400
It's great for this.

So I went out and bought the K400 just for this.

Still cant factory reset and Apply the update in recovery mode!!

Can someone provide a step by step or any more alternatives?!

I've tried with K400 USB in, plugging in GameStick to HDMI (with USB, then plugging in GameStick USB to TV for power

Tried taking out and putting back in K400 USB while GameStick was all plugged in

And a few other combos.

:dunce: :dunce:

I'd much rather put this to use than returning it!

Thanks zebular. I think I'll just stick with tvmc since it plays 1080p for me without issues. No sense in moving to kodi if I can't watch in resolutions higher than 720p. Hopefully, it gets fixed soon though.

I've been selling them like crazy locally... I mean seriously, I've gotten rid of my cable since installing TVADDONS in XBMC. I have literally never had a problem finding a tv show or movie I was searching for with that add-on. Hell, I watched Inspector Gadget on it last week. It even has an add-on called sports devil that will stream all of your live sports. TV shows are generally uploaded to the servers about 20mins after the show is aired and in HD no less.
My Dude..

How can a body do this on a regular computer? I don't have cable tv or anything like that, just rabbit ear antennas on my 50" Sony 3D TV.. but I only get like 8 channels.. NBC, Fox, ABC, and CBS are 4 of those...

let me know!

oNe

p.s. any word on 101 Guide For the Gamestick yet? i.e. what controllers work best, what emulators work best, how to enable lan, best add-on's? ect, ect?

so let's say I have the stick and its all done, and now I have a dock. I plan on still using wifi but want to use the dock to turn it off easier. should I still flash the dock? if so where is that patch file, every link goes to an ad site,

so let's say I have the stick and its all done, and now I have a dock. I plan on still using wifi but want to use the dock to turn it off easier. should I still flash the dock? if so where is that patch file, every link goes to an ad site,
no need unless you need ethernet

First things first, stop everything that you are doing right now and get Ad Block. Then you wait the 5secs and click continue in the upper right hand corner. Here's the direct link but I don't want you using it until you get ad block because it blows my mind that anyone doesn't already have it installed on their web browser lol.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95747613655043085

Will someone pleae answer this question.. read 38 pages and no real consensus...

Is the additional controller a keeper or garbage?

Yeah its only $9 but if its useless.....

Let me know!

oNe

bread's done
Back