GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

I don't get it, one of the points of the dock is to help w the heat of the device. For this you should have just connected the stick w the extension HDMi, unless you really wanted to use a reg SD card and the USBs which will I assume cause things to go even hotter.
The dock does help with cooling the stick. The biggest complaint of the dock is that the fan is really loud when it comes on (think 360 or phat ps3 loud). This mod lowers the fan speed so that it's barely a hum and still help to cool the stick.

[quote name="Stimes" post="12433210" timestamp="1421952467"]So probably a stupid question but I asked before with no reply, does anyone know how to add your favourite tv shows to "my genesis" so I don't have to search for them every time?[/quote]
"C" button on the keyboard while over a highlighted movie or plugin will bring up a settings menu, allowing you to add to favorites.

The dock does help with cooling the stick. The biggest complaint of the dock is that the fan is really loud when it comes on (think 360 or phat ps3 loud). This mod lowers the fan speed so that it's barely a hum and still help to cool the stick.
Thanks for the tutorial :) If I had a dock I would definitely give it a try.

Quick question: looking at the pics, what exactly is the fan doing? Is it blowing air into the side of the GameStick or sucking out hot air from it?

Just curious.

Thanks for the tutorial :) If I had a dock I would definitely give it a try.

Quick question: looking at the pics, what exactly is the fan doing? Is it blowing air into the side of the GameStick or sucking out hot air from it?

Just curious.
The fan blows the air into the side of the stick with the help a plastic shroud. (I'm using my paint skills to illustrate the flow)

[attachment=11388:airflow.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Chick goes down a lot... Makes sense since it's China based and I'm sure there's a ton of people using it to download isos.
Ah I didn't think about that, I'd like to just play the roms I already have loaded on the sd card using one of the emulator packages in Happy Chick, any way to do that?

I have 3 sticks so I'm all about hacking around on them haha.
I didn't think to ask this until now, but the GameStick you removed the plastic covers on and the one you added the heatsinks to, are they the same GameStick?

If so, I'm curious how easy the GameStick plastic covers come off, and how well they go back together.

I'm seriously considering adding 2 25mm fans to the GameStick if heat is an issue. It would be awesome to remove the case, mod it, then put it back together with the fans attached to it.

The fan blows the air into the side of the stick with the help a plastic shroud. (I'm using my paint skills to illustrate the flow)

attachicon.gif
airflow.jpg
Thanks! Those pics should be useful in finding ways (other than the dock) to cool the GameStick :)

ok, but IMO a shitty fan in low speed would not do much, I think if I was to mod it I would just change the fan.

I didn't think to ask this until now, but the GameStick you removed the plastic covers on and the one you added the heatsinks to, are they the same GameStick?

If so, I'm curious how easy the GameStick plastic covers come off, and how well they go back together.

I'm seriously considering adding 2 25mm fans to the GameStick if heat is an issue. It would be awesome to remove the case, mod it, then put it back together with the fans attached to it.

Thanks! Those pics should be useful in finding ways (other than the dock) to cool the GameStick :)
Yep, same one. They come off really easy, used a small flat head screwdriver. The connectors just pop into place.

ok, but IMO a shitty fan in low speed would not do much, I think if I was to mod it I would just change the fan.
But here is the deal... I measured the voltage signal of temperature sensor of the dock before and after the mod. The voltage of the temp sensor drops as temperature goes up.

Before mod: Temp sensor voltage drops below 2.5V => fan turns on

After mod: Temp sensor voltage never dips below 2.8V => fan signal never activates

As another data point, I used a hair dryer to artificially heat the gamestick so the voltage dropped down to 2V and the modded fan cooled it enough to bring the voltage back to 2.8V after a few minutes.

The problem with the stock cooling solution is that it only comes on after it hits a certain temperature threshold. When it does come on, it is full blast and stays on for 2 minutes. My solution is to keep the fan on as long as the dock is powered up, but have the fan at a constant low speed. This way, the heat doesn't get a chance to build up as the constant airflow is regulating the temperature.

As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't find my own temperature sensor, so I don't have data points in terms of degrees, but I did monitor the internal temperature sensor built into the dock. I don't think the fan itself is bad, it's the way the cooling system is implemented that is flawed.

Does anyone use Trakt tv to keep track of your tv/movie content?  I was looking at a few guides for setting up Genesis/SPMC to do this and sync across devices vs just setting up a Trakt.tv account.

Bought the Red Samurai Keypad and Game pad in one. The keyboard and mouse do not work at all which sucks as an all in one would have been awesome. I was too late on the k400. So what is everybody using for a game pad now?

i didn't even need that... my thumbnail was enough to pop mine open :)

now to see if i have heatsinks lying around
I haven't had any heat issues, I pretty much just did this because... well... I felt like it and if we get kernel access I'm ready to overclock.

I haven't had any heat issues, I pretty much just did this because... well... I felt like it and if we get kernel access I'm ready to overclock.
well, i live in the desert and prep all my electronics for the summer :) my entertainment center even has exhaust fans for the gaiming consoles.

I just don't know what room the gamestick will live in yet....

i didn't even need that... my thumbnail was enough to pop mine open :)

now to see if i have heatsinks lying around
Good to know :) I'm always hesitant to use screwdrivers on plastic parts because it usually messes them up; shouldn't be an issue with my fingernail though :p

Bought the Red Samurai Keypad and Game pad in one. The keyboard and mouse do not work at all which sucks as an all in one would have been awesome. I was too late on the k400. So what is everybody using for a game pad now?
Yeah, I'm surprised the K400 isn't $20 anymore, especially since it was on Monday. But I'm sure it'll be $20 again soon (maybe not at Best Buy, but maybe Amazon, Target, or Walmart).

lol, I'm the same way. It's not that it needs to have a cooling upgrade, but it would be fun to do a cooling upgrade :)

Even at $30, the K400 is worth it.
$20 is sweeter and I understand were all cheap asses.

Good to see these cooling mods. I'll likely try the always on fan mod soon.

Holy crap, Navi X got updated to 4.0 today (it's part of the tvaddons package under the programs section) and it is AMAZING.  Every 1080p link I've clicked on has been live and loaded up almost instantly!

Holy crap, Navi X got updated to 4.0 today (it's part of the tvaddons package under the programs section) and it is AMAZING. Every 1080p link I've clicked on has been live and loaded up almost instantly!
Wow, that's GREAT news. Genesis and Project Free TV work pretty well (and NaviX was kind of left in the dark)...glad to see Navi X make a comeback.

Is there something you need to do to turn on the fan? Pretty sure mine isn't working or is broke... :whistle2:/

Is there something you need to do to turn on the fan? Pretty sure mine isn't working or is broke... :whistle2:/
You don't have to do anything on an unmodified dock. The fan should turn on by itself once the sensor detects enough heat.

A quick way to check without opening the dock is to turn on the dock without the gamestick inserted. Refer to the picture from my tutorial to locate the thermalcouple (sensor) and use a hair dryer to heat up that area (don't melt the plastic, just hot to the touch). If everything is ok, the fan will come on automatically.

If that doesn't work, I can help you troubleshoot the exact problem, but it will involve opening the dock and probing voltages.

For the heck of it I installed SPMC and Kodi (14.0) on my phone yesterday.

My phone has a 1080p screen, so I was expecting Kodi to have the same screen cutoff problem that my GameStick does.

Interestingly, Kodi on my phone didn't have the same problem. Must be a problem specific to running Kodi on the GameStick.

Sticking with SPMC on my GameStick for now; maybe when it gets updated to Kodi 14.0 the issue will be solved :)

Holy crap, Navi X got updated to 4.0 today (it's part of the tvaddons package under the programs section) and it is AMAZING. Every 1080p link I've clicked on has been live and loaded up almost instantly!
Wow, that's GREAT news. Genesis and Project Free TV work pretty well (and NaviX was kind of left in the dark)...glad to see Navi X make a comeback.
2 more addons to try :) I've really only used Genesis, and I must say I've been pretty impressed with it.

Trying to return a controller was a pain. She opened it up and told me it had scuff makes on it

Wut, you just opened it.
Apparently they sell used items as new

Even better, they apparently took one back that was scuffed sold it as new to me and didn't want to let me return it having never opened it.

Real problem was I didn't have the receipt. Bleh

Someone else asked this recently, but I didn't see anyone answer. Is it possible to play ROMS stored on your SD card through Happy Chick?

Also, relatively new to KODI and TVADDONS. How do I go about changing the "add on channels" that display on the main page under Video? The script that runs defaults 5 choices to the screen, but what if I want to swap one out, say to add SportsDevil in its place? Basically I'm lazy and don't want to have to drill down through the menus to get to that particular add on.

For the heck of it I installed SPMC and Kodi (14.0) on my phone yesterday.

My phone has a 1080p screen, so I was expecting Kodi to have the same screen cutoff problem that my GameStick does.

Interestingly, Kodi on my phone didn't have the same problem. Must be a problem specific to running Kodi on the GameStick.

Sticking with SPMC on my GameStick for now; maybe when it gets updated to Kodi 14.0 the issue will be solved :)

2 more addons to try :) I've really only used Genesis, and I must say I've been pretty impressed with it.
There HAS to be some sort of fix for Kodi and the 1080P thing :whistle2:(

either wait for an official fix, or strat jumping through xml? (is KODI still XML based?? last time i jumped in to make changes, it was still called XBMC.... running on my original xbox)

I have been experiencing video stuttering/lag and a couple freezes on the twitch/hulu/netflix apps. Not sure whats going on they were working fine before.

either wait for an official fix, or strat jumping through xml? (is KODI still XML based?? last time i jumped in to make changes, it was still called XBMC.... running on my original xbox)
I'm sticking with SPMC (the build through the Play store) for now. An earlier post in this thread said the SPMC creator is working on a beta using Kodi 14, so hopefully an official release will be on the way :) Guess we'll find out then if the 1080p issue is fixed or not.

I'm sticking with SPMC (the build through the Play store) for now. An earlier post in this thread said the SPMC creator is working on a beta using Kodi 14, so hopefully an official release will be on the way :) Guess we'll find out then if the 1080p issue is fixed or not.
I installed that beta last night, don't bother. I get weird graphical glitches that randomly flicker on the screen and when trying to play native 1080p instead of it cutting off a huge chuck it plays in a window about 25% of the screen.

You don't have to do anything on an unmodified dock. The fan should turn on by itself once the sensor detects enough heat.

A quick way to check without opening the dock is to turn on the dock without the gamestick inserted. Refer to the picture from my tutorial to locate the thermalcouple (sensor) and use a hair dryer to heat up that area (don't melt the plastic, just hot to the touch). If everything is ok, the fan will come on automatically.

If that doesn't work, I can help you troubleshoot the exact problem, but it will involve opening the dock and probing voltages.
Thanks, I didn't know it was temperature activated. I thought it was just always-on.

For everyone using their game stick to stream video, I would highly recommend using an android app that can find media servers and run PlayOn on your PC. Add the "onechannel" and "projectfreeTV" plugins and you will find almost every tv show or movie you would want to watch. I personally use roku 3's in my house with this setup and the PlayOn channel for it and it works awesome. PlayOn also works with PS3, 360, and Xbone through the casting feature via the smartphone or tablet app. Much easier to setup and navigate than xbmc. Haven't tried mine yet for this as I hv so many devices that can stream video, planned on setting it up for games for the kids when we travel.

I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. 

Is there anything on the internal memory I can safely junk? I only have a few small apps, maybe 100 mb is the largest, and I'm running out of space. I have an SD in there, but I need enough space to download apps before I can transfer them over.

Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been answered, but can I set it to download apps directly to my microSD rather than the internal storage? 

Also, should I have to re sync the controller every time I turn the Gamestick on? I'm having to use my mouse to navigate to the settings because the controller wants to be re synced every time. 

I'm having a lot of fun with this thing.

Is there anything on the internal memory I can safely junk? I only have a few small apps, maybe 100 mb is the largest, and I'm running out of space. I have an SD in there, but I need enough space to download apps before I can transfer them over.

Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been answered, but can I set it to download apps directly to my microSD rather than the internal storage?

Also, should I have to re sync the controller every time I turn the Gamestick on? I'm having to use my mouse to navigate to the settings because the controller wants to be re synced every time.
http://kalyani-786.blogspot.com/2013/08/change-default-install-storage-to.html

For everyone using their game stick to stream video, I would highly recommend using an android app that can find media servers and run PlayOn on your PC. Add the "onechannel" and "projectfreeTV" plugins and you will find almost every tv show or movie you would want to watch. I personally use roku 3's in my house with this setup and the PlayOn channel for it and it works awesome. PlayOn also works with PS3, 360, and Xbone through the casting feature via the smartphone or tablet app. Much easier to setup and navigate than xbmc. Haven't tried mine yet for this as I hv so many devices that can stream video, planned on setting it up for games for the kids when we travel.
This is a nice thought but, the appeal of Kodi is that I don't even have to turn on the PC to stream videos from projectfreetv.

Finally got Kodi up and running properly with Genesis. However, I keep getting cache is full when trying to play HD shows/movies, any advice on how to fix this? It doesnt fully buffer for seamless playback.

Yea I use Playon on my PC. All of my DirecTV boxes are able to pick it up, so I have it on every TV in the house. It's pretty nice.

Question for those of you familiar with Android:  is there a way to get my WIRED PS3 controller's PS button to act as the Android's Home button?

The "oid" emulators (NESoid, SNESoid, etc.) don't offer any in-program means of mapping the Android's Home/Menu inputs to a button, so if you launch the emulator with the PS3 controller, there's no way to exit it without restarting the GameStick.

Question for those of you familiar with Android: is there a way to get my WIRED PS3 controller's PS button to act as the Android's Home button?

The "oid" emulators (NESoid, SNESoid, etc.) don't offer any in-program means of mapping the Android's Home/Menu inputs to a button, so if you launch the emulator with the PS3 controller, there's no way to exit it without restarting the GameStick.
I don't know if you're set on using a particular emulator, but any of the .emu ones by Robert Broglia offer lots of customization for control schemes, and an "exit" the app once the menu of the app is up.

Thanks OP!

I went into a GS today to get one of these. The clerk had no idea what I was talking about when I said I'd like to buy a Game Stick. O:)

Anyway, she finally found it and I've got it modded using the CFW listed. I did notice that you suggested using an ad blocker and being new to android, I was wondering which one would be the best option?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi question here. I was having trouble with the SPMC app so I decided to format the GameStick.

I wiped the stick and tried to apply the img supplied. It gets halfway done before aborting. I tried several times to no avail.

I rebooted and SPMC wasn't there so I downloaded from the Play Store. I tried to launch it but it's asking for OBB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi question here. I was having trouble with the SPMC app so I decided to format the GameStick.

I wiped the stick and tried to apply the img supplied. It gets halfway done before aborting. I tried several times to no avail.

I rebooted and SPMC wasn't there so I downloaded from the Play Store. I tried to launch it but it's asking for OBB.

Any help would be appreciated.
Go to the apps tab under your system settings and see if it's there to uninstall and then re-install it from the Play Store. Should fix your problem, it's done that to me before as well.

Picked up the K400 at Walmart today for $26 and a wired ps3 off brand controller at gamestop for $16. I love it now. If only I could get flash working I would be so dang pleased.

Also, stupid me. I was button mapping my controller. So I thought oh ok Nintendo was always X Y and A B. I'm wondering why nothing worked righT. Looked at a controller image and eras like, stupid ass self. Nintendo always had there's backwards for some reason Y X and B A. I felt like such an idiot.

Can someone Pm me or direct me to the link to install the emulators for all the old school systems and games and how to install them on to the Gamestick. I'm drunk and can't do research. Preferably some emulator that has everything on it that doesn't suck. Wanna pick it up tomorrow for the wife so she can play some of the Marios.

So if I run some HD streams from Kodi I get the cache is full and video  stops and reloads many times unless I go w less quality; putting the cache to zero is a no no imo for me, what are your settings on it?    

bread's done
Back