GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

For people looking for wireless remote options for XBMC (or whatever).

Someone here recommended this and I received it yesterday and have been loving it. The keyboard is not LED backlit so it's a little difficult to type stuff in the dark, but I can navigate and right/left click just fine without looking. The instructions are a bit lacking and the dongle is hidden under the battery flap. Also, the touch pad works surprisingly well. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard combination.
I've been using this which does have a backlight that can be turned on and off. I had gotten it to use with a laptop I connect to my TV occasionally, it works much better for this and uses bluetooth. I got a K400 to use with the laptop instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys think of these Sony MicroSD cards that are on sale today?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-microSDXC-Class-UHS-1-Memory/dp/B00E1XI94Q/ref=br_lf_m_6183178011_1_7_ttl?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=ea137344c5f54e78aac999a1f14d7dcc&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&pf_rd_p=2026140982&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=6183178011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10WZRCW0F5S62DA50977

I'm thinking of buying the 32gb or the 64gb for the gamestick. Do you think these will work okay? I have a microSD card reader already that I'm assuming is compatible. Is the gamestick compatible with a 64gb drive?

What do you guys think of these Sony MicroSD cards that are on sale today?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-microSDXC-Class-UHS-1-Memory/dp/B00E1XI94Q/ref=br_lf_m_6183178011_1_7_ttl?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=ea137344c5f54e78aac999a1f14d7dcc&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&pf_rd_p=2026140982&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=6183178011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10WZRCW0F5S62DA50977

I'm thinking of buying the 32gb or the 64gb for the gamestick. Do you think these will work okay? I have a microSD card reader already that I'm assuming is compatible.
should be fine... key word = should

should be fine... key word = should
Thanks. I just remembered the gamestick dock has a USB port, doesn't it? I have a dock. Can I just use an external hdd that I already have lying around instead of buying a huge MicroSD card?What do you guys think I should do? I'd like to load up ROMs the most convenient and fastest way possible I suppose.

I wanted thank everybody for your help. I can now see the full screen. Thanks again.
Np :) Are you using SPMC or Kodi + Android set to 720p? Just curious.

Thanks for the replies guys! I have a wireless xbox 360 controller with dongle that I plan on trying out but just haven't had a chance. I sure hope that fixes the problems. I had wondered if it was the funky bluetooth controller. Though it doesn't seem to be lag from the controller but rather just slowness and stuttering. I've also seen mention on the gamestickers forums about using setcpu - not sure if it was by one of you here - but I may try that also. But I'll try the xbox controller first. I'll also try happychick. I've seen mention of it but just haven't had a chance to try it yet either.

*edit* another question - will the ps3 controller work if plugged in via usb? I think I saw mention of running some app to allow it to run via bluetooth but can't remember if I saw anything about if it's just plug and play with the usb.
Yes, the PS3 controller should work via USB. I think Bluetooth will work as well, but you might need an app for that.

For people looking for wireless remote options for XBMC (or whatever).

Someone here recommended this and I received it yesterday and have been loving it. The keyboard is not LED backlit so it's a little difficult to type stuff in the dark, but I can navigate and right/left click just fine without looking. The instructions are a bit lacking and the dongle is hidden under the battery flap. Also, the touch pad works surprisingly well. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard combination.
I've been using this which does have a backlight that can be turned on and off. I had gotten it to use with a laptop I connect to my TV occasionally, it works much better for this and uses bluetooth. I got a K400 to use with the laptop instead.
For ~$10 the eBay option looks good; the $20 one off Amazon also looks good (backlit is nice), but for the same price as the K400 a little while ago I'd still go for that. The K400 works flawlessly.

Thanks. I just remembered the gamestick dock has a USB port, doesn't it? I have a dock. Can I just use an external hdd that I already have lying around instead of buying a huge MicroSD card?What do you guys think I should do? I'd like to load up ROMs the most convenient and fastest way possible I suppose.
The OP mentioned he's using an external HDD for storage using the GameStick. It really boils down to if the HDD gets enough power. If it runs only off USB power, you might need a powered hub. If not, you might be able to get it working while running off the TV USB port. But yes, it should work one way or the other.

The only reason you might want a microSD card over the external HDD though is if you need to re-flash the GameStick (assuming you don't have a microSD card already).

Tried wireless xbox controller and dongle and it worked great on all those emus I mentioned before with super mario world and also n64 snowboard kids. Turned off wifi and bluetooth. I couldn't figure out how to exit out of retroarch with the xbox controller though. I had to unplug my wireless mouse to plug in the controller. Is there a way to exit retroarch or bring up the retroarch menu with the xbox controller? I wish one of my gamestops around here had a dock!

I wanted thank everybody for your help. I can now see the full screen. Thanks again.
Np Are you using SPMC or Kodi + Android set to 720p? Just curious.

I was using spmc but had problems install genesis. I am using kodi with fusion folder to install genesis. I change my setting to 720 and it fix the screen with out me needing to make adjustments.

Tried wireless xbox controller and dongle and it worked great on all those emus I mentioned before with super mario world and also n64 snowboard kids. Turned off wifi and bluetooth. I couldn't figure out how to exit out of retroarch with the xbox controller though. I had to unplug my wireless mouse to plug in the controller. Is there a way to exit retroarch or bring up the retroarch menu with the xbox controller? I wish one of my gamestops around here had a dock!
Not that i know of. When i want to change games I have to hit the esc key. You could always get a hub, http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Rotatable-Degree-HB-UMN4/dp/B00LRYUJQS/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422572254&sr=1-14&keywords=usb+hub&pebp=1422572271391&peasin=B00LRYUJQS&pebp=1422572271395&peasin=B00LRYUJQS&pebp=1422572271400&peasin=B00LRYUJQS

Cool I have an unpowered usb hub so I'll try that. For some reason I thought I needed a powered one but maybe that was for folks talking about using usb hard drives that get their power over usb. That's a nice looking hub you linked there though and a nice price to boot!

Np Are you using SPMC or Kodi + Android set to 720p? Just curious.

I was using spmc but had problems install genesis. I am using kodi with fusion folder to install genesis. I change my setting to 720 and it fix the screen with out me needing to make adjustments.
I'm running SPMC + Android set to 1080p

It sounds like Kodi + Android set to 720p will work too

I tried SPMC and Kodi on my Android phone (1080p) and both worked fine, so it must be something with the GameStick hardware.

I feel stupid not mentioning this but to all the people looking for a soft shutdown of the device, if you have a keyboard you can go inside spmc and hit S and go to shutdown.

The OP mentioned he's using an external HDD for storage using the GameStick. It really boils down to if the HDD gets enough power. If it runs only off USB power, you might need a powered hub. If not, you might be able to get it working while running off the TV USB port. But yes, it should work one way or the other.

The only reason you might want a microSD card over the external HDD though is if you need to re-flash the GameStick (assuming you don't have a microSD card already).
Thanks. I haven't had a chance to set up the gamestick at all yet. I'll hopefully get to it soon. I have an extra 4gb microsd laying around that I was planning to use. After watching the OP's great videos, I was thinking of purchasing a powered hub anyway to have the keyboard and mouse plugged in simultaneously. I have a powered usb hub around somewhere that was for Rockband instruments. I wonder if it would work. I just need to find it.

I just got the dock finally and I think I remember reading on here that you have to do something special for the ethernet to work on it... I haven't tried it yet, anything I should know?

I feel stupid not mentioning this but to all the people looking for a soft shutdown of the device, if you have a keyboard you can go inside spmc and hit S and go to shutdown.
If you have a Logitech K400 you can also press the power button on the keyboard; it works too.

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to set up the gamestick at all yet. I'll hopefully get to it soon. I have an extra 4gb microsd laying around that I was planning to use. After watching the OP's great videos, I was thinking of purchasing a powered hub anyway to have the keyboard and mouse plugged in simultaneously. I have a powered usb hub around somewhere that was for Rockband instruments. I wonder if it would work. I just need to find it.
I don't see why the Rockband one wouldn't work, although the one I'm familiar with isn't powered. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try :)

I just got the dock finally and I think I remember reading on here that you have to do something special for the ethernet to work on it... I haven't tried it yet, anything I should know?
On the 1st page of the thread it mentions flashing the dock for ethernet use.

anybody have luck getting "Steam" to stream on here in big picture mode? (Limelight does NOT work in my case, unfortunately).

Tried Kainy out?
i did actually, i tried only the "Free" version. The stream was very laggy and muddy looking (even for the desktop, before Steam). not sure if to risk paying the $5 for the "THD" version on not. (or the HD version).

Also I've seen something about xbmc running steam on Android for "Big Picture Mode" but didnt get to far into it (Being a dad of as 4 YR old, takes away from research time)

so I booted up kodi tonight and all of a sudden genesis was no longer on it. how do I get it back and why would it just disappear?

my phone blows when I message on it. yeah it disappeared on the main screan and I had to search and download it again. it wasnt under the initial addons tab but in the tab that you see the few hundred of them and had to redownload it.

my phone blows when I message on it. yeah it disappeared on the main screan and I had to search and download it again. it wasnt under the initial addons tab but in the tab that you see the few hundred of them and had to redownload it.
Have you been using clean master?

Have you been using clean master?
have I been using clean master on the gametstick? no, is that why genesis disappeared? if you were referring to my phone I was just saying how when I message on tapatalk that sometimes my messages free up and I have to rewrite it a dozen times.

have I been using clean master on the gametstick? no, is that why genesis disappeared? if you were referring to my phone I was just saying how when I message on tapatalk that sometimes my messages free up and I have to rewrite it a dozen times.
I think if you could read and edit what you write before pressing reply, it would make it easier to help you with your questions.

Picked up a dock this afternoon. Helps a lot with SPMC streaming. Pretty impressed.

Also threw SCUMM on there and Day of the Tentacle runs pretty flawlessly. Things keep getting better and better with this thing.

picked one up at a GameStop. Unfortunately I seem to be stuck at Searching for Updates

My internet connection is just fine though. 

Picked up a dock this afternoon. Helps a lot with SPMC streaming. Pretty impressed.

Also threw SCUMM on there and Day of the Tentacle runs pretty flawlessly. Things keep getting better and better with this thing.
Always loved playing through Day of the Tentacle. Tim Schafer favorited one of my old tweets (from 2012) the other day, he sure does love his fans.

picked one up at a GameStop. Unfortunately I seem to be stuck at Searching for Updates

My internet connection is just fine though.
Yeah, just convert it to android and be done with it. There is next to no support for the stock firmware.

Hey guys, just a heads up, but I was messing around in the settings and discovered how to enable hdmi cec. All you have to do is turn Easylink on from the settings menu and reboot. As long as your tv it's compatible, you can control the gamestick with your tv remote. Hope this help.

Is there anyone else having issues with the dock not recognising the USB ports randomly? First both worked, then none, then one, then none. I mainly use the dock because my kid lost his y cable and now this.

I finally got time to play with the one I ordered last month. First thing I did was put android on it out of the box. Then I put genesis on spmc. Everything works pretty good but I'm wondering where I should go from here. The controller really sucks but I'm working on some alternatives.
What apps and addons are people finding the most useful for the little guy. I'm going to start dumping emulators on it later but I want to have the streaming video and useful apps side of it done first.
I will say this thing is great. especially for the money. I really think the controller was a good cause of why this failed too. Its so touchy and imprecise I can't imagine playing games on it which is what it was meant to do.

It seem to update on another stick I did but not the one I am using. kinda confused why it would do it on one and not the other.

Ok, question for those of you using the dock. I finally cracked my dock open and flashed the update for it. Set it all up and Ethernet was working fine. Thought I would make sure the wireless was still all good so I toggled off the Ethernet setting, exited out of settings, and not the Ethernet option in settings has disappeared. Anyone else have this happen? Any way to get this back without starting all over again?

Ok, question for those of you using the dock. I finally cracked my dock open and flashed the update for it. Set it all up and Ethernet was working fine. Thought I would make sure the wireless was still all good so I toggled off the Ethernet setting, exited out of settings, and not the Ethernet option in settings has disappeared. Anyone else have this happen? Any way to get this back without starting all over again?
Go to apps scroll all the way to the right to all find obbe and hit clear data then reset the gamestick should come up again

I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there any way to get 5.1 sound? It's greyed out in the SPMC app. On the stick setting I've put it in PCM and HDMI to no avail.

I received my wireless mini backlit keyboard w/ touchpad from eBay a few days ago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221558392601
It works really well and It's a steal for $19
I have one similar to that from yearsss ago, stored away, it even has a laser pointer, but is bluetooth! Was using a mouse alone when not using the ds3, might go and charge mine now that you reminded me thanks.

Since I have like four devices running kodi around the house and portables is there a way to have them all sync up the same favorites shows, addons etc?

Also my iPhone had a kodi update so I need to see if the one in the stick is in need of an upgrade as well. Might make it run even better.
Thanks

Was reading reddit game stick sub forum today I saw someone mention another way to install CFW w out Mouse and keyboard changing the name of the cfw and adding a txt file. Seems interesting for those that don't have a mouse and or keyboard.

Hey guys, just a heads up, but I was messing around in the settings and discovered how to enable hdmi cec. All you have to do is turn Easylink on from the settings menu and reboot. As long as your tv it's compatible, you can control the gamestick with your tv remote. Hope this help.
Sounds cool! I'll have to try that out :)

Since I have like four devices running kodi around the house and portables is there a way to have them all sync up the same favorites shows, addons etc?

Also my iPhone had a kodi update so I need to see if the one in the stick is in need of an upgrade as well. Might make it run even better.
Thanks

Was reading reddit game stick sub forum today I saw someone mention another way to install CFW w out Mouse and keyboard changing the name of the cfw and adding a txt file. Seems interesting for those that don't have a mouse and or keyboard.
I haven't tied it, but I know there is a profile/login section in SPMC. Would that pull down settings from an online account?

bread's done
Back