GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
thats not terrible actually...I see no reason for it, screen is big enough as is I guess. If they added a second stick that would be different

Seems like you could get more just selling on craigslist, especially with the holidays coming up, but I guess if you don't want to hassle with that.

I'd probably do this if it were $120 though.

Update: Some stores are saying that system transfer will be available with a buy full price, and return for a 100 dollar adjustment option.

Other stores do not know how this is going to work because the info is so fresh. Hopefully we can get a straight answer soon.

I need to know how the system transfer will work. My GS said because they dont have internet, its not possible. Looks like I will be sitting in their store with my WIFI hotspot phone for a LONG time.

[quote name='exceed19']I need to know how the system transfer will work. My GS said because they dont have internet, its not possible. Looks like I will be sitting in their store with my WIFI hotspot phone for a LONG time.[/QUOTE]

Here is another quote from the original author regarding transfer. This we can not assume is the case at all stores, although it would make sense if it was. They did this in the UK.

"Talked to another store just now.
Manager stated that they will allow you to buy it outright at $200, take it home for the battery charge and system transfer, then return to the store to "void and rebuy" under the promo.

Not sure if this will be standard opperating proceedures though. You may want to call your local stores..."

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']thats not terrible actually...I see no reason for it, screen is big enough as is I guess. If they added a second stick that would be different[/QUOTE]
Wait until you see it side by side.

After the Vita (and DS XL) that 3DS screen is like a postage stamp.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Sold mine for $163 on ebay and bought the 3DS XL for $168 on the sight that must not be named.[/QUOTE]

Thats a great deal, unfortunately that is very YMMV and will not work especially since the 3DS is 170 now. It is a rare occasion, let me put it that way.

For me personally I would rather take the 100 dollars and save the time and hassle of ebay or craigslist just for an extra 30 or something.

[quote name='cigaro']Thats a great deal, unfortunately that is very YMMV and will not work especially since the 3DS is 170 now. It is a rare occasion, let me put it that way.

For me personally I would rather take the 100 dollars and save the time and hassle of ebay or craigslist just for an extra 30 or something.[/QUOTE]

I sold it last week. It went for more because it was an Ambassador 3DS.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']I sold it last week. It went for more because it was an Ambassador 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Thats awesome. So did you just lose the ambassador stuff? Im sure you dont really care about it, as I dont haha. Im not entirely sure what can be redownloaded as ambassador and what cannot.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Is there a way to transfer the ambassdor stuff?[/QUOTE]

All of the ambassador stuff will transfer with a system transfer. So if they give us some way to do a system transfer, you will have it all.

Hm I am very interested in doing this! I have a red 3DS, but I do like my 3DS resident evil cover and the 2 other covers I have for my system >.< but the 3ds xl does look amazing and very tempting just for the screen difference. I hear the 3D looks much better with the bigger screen.

If only it was $150, or even $125...I can't see myself paying $100 for bigger screens, matte finish, very slightly lower resolution for :3ds: games, and slightly shorter battery life (the PowerPak+ I currently use runs for ~10 hours for :3ds: games and I have a strong feeling it isn't compatible with the XL). :cry:

I love the matte, and I love that the battery life is improved and it is almost thinner than the original 3DS (I think it might actually be thinner). Also I think the improved 3D sweetspot and overall feel is going to be the biggest thing for me.

Fyi in the original post it mentions Check "ghost" store. This is incorrect.

Gamestops internal site for retail to check is "go" stores. Its their intranet.

I played one of these at SDCC, and being an owner of a 3DS since around launch, let me say the XL is what the 3DS should have originally been. Once you play one, you'll look back at your original 3DS as being super inferior.

[quote name='Reraise']Fyi in the original post it mentions Check "ghost" store. This is incorrect.

Gamestops internal site for retail to check is "go" stores. Its their intranet.[/QUOTE]

Updated it thanks.

There's something that I need to ask: If I've never downloaded anything from the eShop, would I need to do a system transfer for my save data, profile info, and whatnot, or is that stuff on my SD card?

I'm all for screen improvements but I never really got into the DSi XL so I think I'll pass. I'm playing a lot more Vita these days anyway.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Sold mine for $163 on ebay and bought the 3DS XL for $168 on the site that must not be named.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, got 173 with the ambassador stuff, which I couldn't give two fucks about. Cheap ass upgrade FTW

Just checked my store, all they said i had to do was trade in my 3DS toward the XL, then i could take both home and bring it back when it finishes.

Quite awesome and hassle free, especially since i already pretty much had 100$ on the pre-order, guess i'll finish off Gravity Rush and trade it in too

[quote name='cigaro']Wow that seems very nice but also very weird.

What will they use as leverage if you dont bring it back lol?[/QUOTE]
I'm sure he'll end up needing to pay full price up front and doing a return/rebuy under the promotion. Or maybe his GS employees are just really cool.

Lol, i dont think they want any leverage. I'v been shopping there for like a year now and know all the older employees/managers.

I had another store do something like this before too, was getting a new PS3 because my old one was dying, manager let me take both home to do a system transfer then bring it back the next day

[quote name='dgwillia006']Lol, i dont think they want any leverage. I'v been shopping there for like a year now and know all the older employees/managers.

I had another store do something like this before too, was getting a new PS3 because my old one was dying, manager let me take both home to do a system transfer then bring it back the next day[/QUOTE]

Ah okay. I am the same except at Best Buy, I am really cool with the manager there, a lot because i spend so much money, and he is going to match whatever trade in offer gamestop is doing for me. Im sure ill be able to transfer too, I dont see why not

[quote name='cigaro']Wow that seems very nice but also very weird.

What will they use as leverage if you dont bring it back lol?[/QUOTE]

haha exactly what I was wondering

Might do this. But do you have to buy the XL immediately? With school starting and all I'm not sure how mah monies are going to fair....

Anyone who has an original 3DS, and is thinking about upgrading to the XL, needs to lock up their trade-in and preorder ASAP; once the XL hits, the regular 3DS is going to be borderline worthless, ambassador/Zelda 3DS or not. One diehard 3DS fan in the UK got the XL, and he said it made the regular version look like a "sick joke" (his words). No question that the screen on the original 3DS is just too small at 3.53", especially compared to other current-gen handheld devices.

WoW, I am actually considering trading mine in. I never really used mine but I do want the bigger screen, and would only be paying $50 more if I would have gotten the XL. If it comes in black, then it would make the decision even harder. Hopefully they don't charge tax in the transaction.

[quote name='JYabbz']WoW, I am actually considering trading mine in. I never really used mine but I do want the bigger screen, and would only be paying $50 more if I would have gotten the XL. If it comes in black, then it would make the decision even harder. Hopefully they don't charge tax in the transaction.[/QUOTE]I think you'll be charged tax unless you live in one of the states where you don't get charged tax on purchases in which you pay with Gamestop credit.

[quote name='JYabbz']WoW, I am actually considering trading mine in. I never really used mine but I do want the bigger screen, and would only be paying $50 more if I would have gotten the XL. If it comes in black, then it would make the decision even harder. Hopefully they don't charge tax in the transaction.[/QUOTE]

The only two colors that North America has for launch are Blue and Red

[quote name='cigaro']All of the ambassador stuff will transfer with a system transfer. So if they give us some way to do a system transfer, you will have it all.[/QUOTE]

You need the original system for a system transfer. So you won't be able to get those downloaded games back on your XL.

Just like the DSi to 3DS transfer.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']You need the original system for a system transfer. So you won't be able to get those downloaded games back on your XL.

Just like the DSi to 3DS transfer.[/QUOTE]

If they let you take the two systems home and then credit you when you come back (which it looks like they are going to do, just like the UK), then yes you will be able to.,

I've called about five stores, and not one has given me a straight answer on how to go about doing the system transfer. Three of those stores told me to call Nintendo. Jesus Christ.

Anyone think of a solution to this predicament?

[quote name='Xtrminatr']Can you preorder and then do a return/rebuy with your original 3ds so you can transfer content?[/QUOTE]

They wont do a return on opened hardware.....

The best we can hope for is we pay full price for the 3DS XL, then go home and system transfer, and you bring back the original 3DS and get 100 dollars credited back to your original pyment.

This is how they did it in the UK

[quote name='therealdanhill']If there was a deal on that other site why didn't anyone post it here?[/QUOTE]

.... what?

[quote name='Vigilante']I think you'll be charged tax unless you live in one of the states where you don't get charged tax on purchases in which you pay with Gamestop credit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I think I will pass on the trade in especially when I'm trading in a like new 3DS and paying around $120 w/taxes for an upgrade. I think I'm better off putting that money towards a Vita or just wait for a price drop in the XL or one of cowboom's sale down the line. Plus that money would be better spent on more 3DS games, only have 2.

[quote name='Vigilante']I think you'll be charged tax unless you live in one of the states where you don't get charged tax on purchases in which you pay with Gamestop credit.[/QUOTE]

Would you get charged tax if you use a gamestop gift card?

yeah, i was told by my GS that i could buy the XL at $200 (used all store credit), then come back the next day and they will honor the trade in...in turn, i'll take the $100 and put it towards my other reserves

[quote name='breakingcustoms']yeah, i was told by my GS that i could buy the XL at $200 (used all store credit), then come back the next day and they will honor the trade in...in turn, i'll take the $100 and put it towards my other reserves[/QUOTE]

Are they giving you 100 dollars store credit? or original payment? I dont want to do it if i get 100 store credit back that defeats the purpose for me.

bread's done
Back