GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='metallicoholic']YOUR SIGNATURE JUST MAKES ME WANT TO ANSWER YES TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS!

(side note: Google searched your signature girl and that bikini top looks much, much better on than it does off. Yikes.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, one boob is way bigger than the other! lol

[quote name='metallicoholic']YOUR SIGNATURE JUST MAKES ME WANT TO ANSWER YES TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS!

(side note: Google searched your signature girl and that bikini top looks much, much better on than it does off. Yikes.)[/QUOTE]

name?

Well this is weird, i noticed a tiny little scratch line on my XL's top screen (Its like a perfect line).

No idea how it got there (Especially since i barely touched it before i put protectors on it). Either way, I plan to keep it. Dont feel like dealing with the hassle of trying to transfer again, plus its not even obscuring the screen

It is time to trade in my launch 3DS for a blue 3DS XL. The loud cracking sound that the hinge makes whenever I opened it or adjusted the top screen was annoying me. I feel as though the top screen will just snap off one day.

[quote name='KrisMKX']Yeah, one boob is way bigger than the other! lol[/QUOTE]

Meh. Not into big boobs. Suprised it's gotten so much attention here- probably too much.

Also, congrats :applause:. That is the first GIF to ever slow down my web browser. Must have a lot of frames. Though I don't really think it's a good thing, as I groan every time I see you post :whistle2:#.

[quote name='lilman']My top XL screen is yellow around the edges and the whole bottom screen has a yellow tint. For a strictly gaming platform though, this is a non issue to me. On the other hand, I still have an iPad 1 because I went through two iPad 3 exchanges before finally giving up and doing a return on the third due to screen color issues (yellow tint on only half the screen, areas with pinkish hues or varying brightness, etc). With the iPad though, I read a lot of digital manga and tech docs, so black on white is crucial to me.

A good point about XL screens, I no longer have to watch my reflection while playing ^_^ I also like that I don't have to hold the 3DS so high in the air anymore.[/QUOTE]

haha that is so funny, because what i saw on the screen is exactly the issue I had on my iPad 3s.... You do make a good point though. It is barely noticeable in games, actually probably not noticeable at all.

I couldnt take it on the iPad 3 though, especially a device that was much much more expensive than the 3DS. I went through three iPads before I gave up and bought a 2 for way way cheaper.

I will use the XL for a couple of weeks and if it still honestly bothers me at that point, I will try one exchange (the more I exchange the more I have to system transfer)

Yesterday I bought my blue XL at Best Buy. Went home and did a system transfer. Quick and easy.

Today I got my daughter a red XL at GameStop by trading in my aqua and her red original 3DS. GameStop stacked the $100 promo and the extra $25 per hardware promo, which worked out well enough for me.

Originally he was just suppose to see if the promos would stack, not start processing the trade in, or so I thought. So when he said the promos would stack I told him we'd take a red one and asked about doing a system transfer either in store via wifi, if I could rebuy the old one or something else. I started getting the run around and after about 5 minutes he told me it didn't matter nice he'd already started formatting as soon as I'd handed them over. He said everything would be fine since it was all on the memory card, which it isn't and I knew it wasn't.

We went home, called Nintendo and they told me I could still transfer the eShop licenses if I got the old 3DS. Called AT&T changed my data plan from unlimited to 5GB with personal hotspot, went back to GameStop, did the transfer in store twice after the transfer crashed at the end of the first transfer and went home with all my games recovered.

In the end all is mostly good, we lost her Mii character, all the Mii Plaza goodies and some saved data, but saved the most important things. The kid is happy and I'm happy.

I don't blame the GameStop guy since it was Nintendo's archaic digital ownership rules that started this mess. I do wish he would've told me he was going to format the systems though since that would've saved the mess from starting. Then again I suppose I could've asked about the system transfer process sooner.

Got one last night and I love this damn thing. Soooo much more comfortable to hold. I wouldn't say the 3D is "better" as some reviews led me to believe, as the "depth" isn't altered. I'd say it's roughly the same depth effect, but it is more immersive thanks to the larger screen.

Only complaint is the "warmer" (ie, slightly darker) screens made me think at first that the brightness was turned down or it was in power saving mode. It bothers me, but it's not a deal breaker.

Yesterday, after reading a plethora of positive reviews, I purchased a new blue 3DS XL. The transfer was simpler than I anticipated. Unlike some reports I've heard, I didn't have to re-download anything. All my ambassador titles and Even my restore points made the trip. I boxed up my old 3DS and took pictures for Ebay. Everything went smootly, and then it was time to boot up some 3DS games to test the new larger screen. So far I've tried Zelda, Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 7, and Resident Evil Revelations. After spending several hours with the system, I feel that I'm the only person in the world who feels like 3DS XL is a downgrade.

From the moment I booted up the original 3DS, I was impressed by the graphics. At the time, the 3DS gave me the closest to console quality graphics I had seen on a portable (of course until I got a Vita). And the 3d effect, while gimmicky, has always impressed me when viewed at the right angle. The screen on the XL, on the other hand, doesn't look as sharp. And those graphics that impressed me so much on my original 3DS have taken a big hit. It's hard for me to get used to playing games that once looked so smooth, but now look so jagged. For instance, Mario 3d World, bright and beautiful on the original 3DS now looks janky and dull on the XL. Ambassador and virtual console titles, however, do look great.

Additionally, the 3d effect doesn't seem as pronounced on the XL. On the original 3DS, turning the slider from 2d to 3d produced a profound difference. With the XL, I don't feel that same "wow" factor when switching from 2d to 3d. The 3d doesn't seem to pop out as much on the XL.

This may sound nitpicky, but I even feel that in some respects, the hardware of the XL is a downgrade. It feels more plasticky and less sturdier than the 3DS. And the matte finish feels like it’s more prone to scratching.

At this point I'm torn. Are lower quality graphics and a toned down 3d effect worth the larger screen? My plan was to sell my original 3DS on ebay to pay myself for the XL. I am now strongly considering transferring everything back to the original and Ebaying my XL. Maybe I need to give the XL more time. Maybe once I go back to the original 3DS, I will appreciate the XL’s larger screen. Am I jumping the gun here? Am I alone in feeling this way? Thanks to Nintendo’s transfer policy, I’ll have a week to decide whether I’ll keep my original 3DS or stick with the XL. I know a lot of people disagree, but I feel in the case of 3DS vs. 3DS XL, bigger is not better.

Picked one up for my son over the weekend and it's pretty damned nice. I have already borrowed it a few times.

I picked up the 3DS XL late Sunday afternoon at a local Gamestop and bought the 5th red one. It looked like up to that point they had also sold 8 blue ones.

[quote name='duran603']Yesterday, after reading a plethora of positive reviews, I purchased a new blue 3DS XL. The transfer was simpler than I anticipated. Unlike some reports I've heard, I didn't have to re-download anything. All my ambassador titles and Even my restore points made the trip. I boxed up my old 3DS and took pictures for Ebay. Everything went smootly, and then it was time to boot up some 3DS games to test the new larger screen. So far I've tried Zelda, Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 7, and Resident Evil Revelations. After spending several hours with the system, I feel that I'm the only person in the world who feels like 3DS XL is a downgrade.

From the moment I booted up the original 3DS, I was impressed by the graphics. At the time, the 3DS gave me the closest to console quality graphics I had seen on a portable (of course until I got a Vita). And the 3d effect, while gimmicky, has always impressed me when viewed at the right angle. The screen on the XL, on the other hand, doesn't look as sharp. And those graphics that impressed me so much on my original 3DS have taken a big hit. It's hard for me to get used to playing games that once looked so smooth, but now look so jagged. For instance, Mario 3d World, bright and beautiful on the original 3DS now looks janky and dull on the XL. Ambassador and virtual console titles, however, do look great.

Additionally, the 3d effect doesn't seem as pronounced on the XL. On the original 3DS, turning the slider from 2d to 3d produced a profound difference. With the XL, I don't feel that same "wow" factor when switching from 2d to 3d. The 3d doesn't seem to pop out as much on the XL.

This may sound nitpicky, but I even feel that in some respects, the hardware of the XL is a downgrade. It feels more plasticky and less sturdier than the 3DS. And the matte finish feels like it’s more prone to scratching.

At this point I'm torn. Are lower quality graphics and a toned down 3d effect worth the larger screen? My plan was to sell my original 3DS on ebay to pay myself for the XL. I am now strongly considering transferring everything back to the original and Ebaying my XL. Maybe I need to give the XL more time. Maybe once I go back to the original 3DS, I will appreciate the XL’s larger screen. Am I jumping the gun here? Am I alone in feeling this way? Thanks to Nintendo’s transfer policy, I’ll have a week to decide whether I’ll keep my original 3DS or stick with the XL. I know a lot of people disagree, but I feel in the case of 3DS vs. 3DS XL, bigger is not better.[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten an XL yet, but I had the same experience when I went from the DS Lite to the 3DS (in that original DS games looked more sub-par to me than to most, and I didn't really want to play them on the 3DS). I find the 3DS fine for the existing 3DS games, and have wished for a bigger screen.... but I actually have small hands, so I like the overall size. What I hate is the battery life! I also don't like either of the colors for the XL. I have an original/Ambassador black 3DS and sure would like a purple one.... So I think I am going to have to make myself wait on the XL. :whistle2:/ Also, I did buy a DS Lite on eBay for $35 this weekend so I have it to play the rest of my regular DS games. :p

If you just got the XL, is there any way you can just return it to the store?

Is there any point to keeping a DSi XL or a 3DS if I'm getting a 3DS XL?

I'm keeping the Lites since they have the GBA compatibility, but is there any reason to keep a DSi XL or 3DS? Any features lost?

[quote name='imacjenn']I haven't gotten an XL yet, but I had the same experience when I went from the DS Lite to the 3DS (in that original DS games looked more sub-par to me than to most, and I didn't really want to play them on the 3DS). I find the 3DS fine for the existing 3DS games, and have wished for a bigger screen.... but I actually have small hands, so I like the overall size. What I hate is the battery life! I also don't like either of the colors for the XL. I have an original/Ambassador black 3DS and sure would like a purple one.... So I think I am going to have to make myself wait on the XL. :whistle2:/ Also, I did buy a DS Lite on eBay for $35 this weekend so I have it to play the rest of my regular DS games. :p

If you just got the XL, is there any way you can just return it to the store?[/QUOTE]

I could probably return it. But I purchased it at K-Mart and got the $20 gaming coupon, so I don't want to lose that. I'm gonna play around with it for a week and see if it grows on me. I really had no problem with the original 3DS. All the reviews kinda sucked me in and made me want to make the upgrade. I'm one who can never see the difference between the same game on multiple platforms, so I figured the resolution issue would hardly be noticeable. But it is very annoying to me. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have gotten the XL. But it seems I'm in the minority, so it's difficult for me discourage anyone from making the upgrade. Looks like most people are happy with the bigger screen, even with the graphical sacrifice.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Got one last night and I love this damn thing. Soooo much more comfortable to hold. I wouldn't say the 3D is "better" as some reviews led me to believe, as the "depth" isn't altered. I'd say it's roughly the same depth effect, but it is more immersive thanks to the larger screen.

Only complaint is the "warmer" (ie, slightly darker) screens made me think at first that the brightness was turned down or it was in power saving mode. It bothers me, but it's not a deal breaker.[/QUOTE]

This is what's really bothering me about the XL. I love the bright, sharp screen of the original 3DS. It's tough getting used to the slightly darker screen. It's definitely something people need to know before going out and upgrading.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Is there any point to keeping a DSi XL or a 3DS if I'm getting a 3DS XL?

I'm keeping the Lites since they have the GBA compatibility, but is there any reason to keep a DSi XL or 3DS? Any features lost?[/QUOTE]

Level 2 spotpass warrior every day for Find Me? Otherwise I got nothing...

About the data transfer. Are the game saves in the 3DS or the SD card?. Can I keep the SD card if I trade my 3DS at gamestop? I really don't have much in the the 3DS apart from Mario VS DK. The rest is saved in my SD card.

Do I need to present a Drivers License during the trade-in? I just lost mine.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Level 2 spotpass warrior every day for Find Me? Otherwise I got nothing...[/QUOTE]

Cool.

My GS wouldn't let me do the Data Transfer then trade in. :cry:

[quote name='Zmonkay']Got one last night and I love this damn thing. Soooo much more comfortable to hold. I wouldn't say the 3D is "better" as some reviews led me to believe, as the "depth" isn't altered. I'd say it's roughly the same depth effect, but it is more immersive thanks to the larger screen.

Only complaint is the "warmer" (ie, slightly darker) screens made me think at first that the brightness was turned down or it was in power saving mode. It bothers me, but it's not a deal breaker.[/QUOTE]

I agree with these comments. I also tried to increase the brightness thinking it was set too low.

[quote name='duran603'] After spending several hours with the system, I feel that I'm the only person in the world who feels like 3DS XL is a downgrade.

This may sound nitpicky, but I even feel that in some respects, the hardware of the XL is a downgrade. It feels more plasticky and less sturdier than the 3DS. [/QUOTE]

I was originally stoked with the low release price at pre order. Now I can see why. Nintendo used cheaper parts to get the price to $200. I can live with it though. Netflix looks good enough. Mario Kart 7 looks amazing. I will now actually play that game.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Is there any point to keeping a DSi XL or a 3DS if I'm getting a 3DS XL?

I'm keeping the Lites since they have the GBA compatibility, but is there any reason to keep a DSi XL or 3DS? Any features lost?[/QUOTE]

I considered keeping my original 3ds to play co-op with my daughter, but will probably sell it with ambasador intact. I will also keep my lite, for a different compatibility ;). Plus it's worth so little anyway.

[quote name='duran603']This is what's really bothering me about the XL. I love the bright, sharp screen of the original 3DS. It's tough getting used to the slightly darker screen. It's definitely something people need to know before going out and upgrading.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that in the previews, and seems like not many people are mentioning it. I'll probably stick with my ambassador for a while longer before upgrading if it's that obvious.

[quote name='agentcoop007']My kid peeled off the SN# off one of our 3DSs, Would Gamestop still take it with that? I don't normally trade in hardware[/QUOTE]
No, it needs a S/N to trade in.

[quote name='M_A_C']I noticed that in the previews, and seems like not many people are mentioning it. I'll probably stick with my ambassador for a while longer before upgrading if it's that obvious.[/QUOTE]

I don't really think it's an issue for alot of people. I always appreciated the sharpness of the 3ds screen. But it's obvious that the screen on the 3ds XL is dimmer. I find myself looking for a way to turn up the brightness. I guess in order to minimize the glare, Nintendo had to go with a dimmer screen. I'd rather have the sharpness because I only play my 3ds at home on the couch while the wife watches Bravo. So glare isn't an issue for me.

[quote name='dinokill']About the data transfer. Are the game saves in the 3DS or the SD card?. Can I keep the SD card if I trade my 3DS at gamestop? I really don't have much in the the 3DS apart from Mario VS DK. The rest is saved in my SD card.

Do I need to present a Drivers License during the trade-in? I just lost mine.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda what I want to know. Is their any need for the transfer if you keep the original SD Card?

To my knowledge saves are kept on the SD card, and when transfering DSI-ware titles (such as Mario Vs DK) they are temporarily moved to the SD card, you transfer SD cards, and they are moved to the new system. I did the system transfer, did the DSI-ware SD card transfer. I then took the 2gb card and copied the contents to my pc, took the 4gb from the XL and wiped it clean and put the contents from the 2gb card on it.

Now the XL has the 4gb card as intended, and all my games work fine (including ambassador games, DSi-ware, 3DS titles such as Mighty Flip Force, and DLC for Theaterhythm).

As for if you need to trade in an SD card, I swear someone in this thread mentioned it wasn't necessary, and all they require is the system, stylus, and charger (not even the cradle). I haven't brought mine back in for a return/rebuy yet so I can't confirm.

[quote name='bigdbo622']That's kinda what I want to know. Is their any need for the transfer if you keep the original SD Card?[/QUOTE]
You need to transfer yes. The transfer process connects to the internet three times during the process. First to validate the transfer can occur, again when it transfers your eShop purchases, and a third time to validate everything and make it official.

The SD card licenses are "transferred" during the transfer process. Putting an SD card with content from another machine without transferring will not work.

[quote name='agentcoop007']My kid peeled off the SN# off one of our 3DSs, Would Gamestop still take it with that? I don't normally trade in hardware[/QUOTE]

hate to tell you this BUT nintendo will NOT Even touch it even if you got it last week ... if the SN number is gone

Heck no! I paid $140 for my Legend of Zelda Limited edition 3DS Bundle! On black Friday! I waited an hour for it. it originally went for $200 i traded in my DS for a Zelda Black edition 3DS. thats a collectors Item. never in a million years of the 3DS XL.

[quote name='PokemonRexRay']Heck no! I paid $140 for my Legend of Zelda Limited edition 3DS Bundle! On black Friday! I waited an hour for it. it originally went for $200 i traded in my DS for a Zelda Black edition 3DS. thats a collectors Item. never in a million years of the 3DS XL.[/QUOTE]

Hope it's still new in the box then.

I sent in a complaint to corporate about how my local Gamestop wouldn't agree to the take home transfer. According to them it "looks too shady." And how they claimed to not be participating in the free game deal. Just got a call from one of the employees and now they are more than happy to make the transaction.

Sounds like someone got their neck stepped on.

Picked up a red xl today and got all my ambassador stuff transferred, everything went well except I had to settle for steel diver as they were sold out of pilot wings.

[quote name='atc250es']Picked up a red xl today and got all my ambassador stuff transferred, everything went well except I had to settle for steel diver as they were sold out of pilot wings.[/QUOTE]

How? Did an employee let you buy the XL then just gave you the $100 later?

I got really lucky with my Gamestop. I traded in a 3DS for a red 3DS XL and the employee put the trade in credit at the same time the 3DS XL was purchased. He afterwords let me go to a starbucks nearby to transfer the 3DS stuff into the 3DS XL. He trusted me that I wouldn't run off with the 3DS and 3DS XL and never come back, but luckily for him I did return back after the transfer. Oh and I got Steel Diver since Pilotwings was out.

Great experience at my Gamestop.

Do you need a transfer cable or something to get the old stuff to transfer off of the 3DS you trade in? Or can it all be done online?

[quote name='Javery']Do you need a transfer cable or something to get the old stuff to transfer off of the 3DS you trade in? Or can it all be done online?[/QUOTE]

You just need an internet connection and both systems to be on the "Data Transfer" utility. Which is why this deal kinda sucks for people who don't have GS employees who will let them do the transfer before/after the buy or you don't have a smart phone with 3/4g and can tether because apparently tethered internet is different than regular internet.

[quote name='lilman']No, it needs a S/N to trade in.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slidecage']hate to tell you this BUT nintendo will NOT Even touch it even if you got it last week ... if the SN number is gone[/QUOTE]

YMMV, I was able to trade in an old DSI that had the serial scratched off. It just depends, they used a generic bar code. This was at gamestop.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']How? Did an employee let you buy the XL then just gave you the $100 later?[/QUOTE]

I just got back with a friend who wanted the XL. Ask the employee or manager if such a transaction will be okay, but this is what we did:

1. You pay the regular price for the 3DS XL.

2. You do the system transfer on your own. Make sure the 3DS and the 3DS XL are plugged in and have internet access.

3. Return the regular 3DS to the GameStop, and the employee refunds the $100.

I went to the GS by my work because i figured it be easier to just return my old 3ds during my lunch break tomorrow... but when i got there the chick working there told me i couldn't take my 3ds XL home to do a transfer between 3ds's because its "not possible" to transfer data since "nintendo sucks that way" and even though i tried to explain to her there is a system transfer feature she told me "well i don't know maybe if you put all the data on the SD card it then you could transfer it...but i don't know you should probably just call nintendo but either way i cant let you take your 3ds home to do the transfer"

now i didn't feel like arguing with her for half and hour on how what she just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. and how everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

so i went to my usual gamestop walked in asked if i could take it home to do the transfer he said no problem well just give you the $100 credit back when you bring it in with your receipt.

TLDR; Some GS employees are idiots but i got my 3ds XL with pilot wings and was able to do the transfer flawlessly with the promo and its amazing

Tempted between GS and Amazon.com. As of today, they added an option to purchase the unit through Amazon itself and not some third party seller. Would be great as I have several hundred in giftcards.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-...id=1345577025&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+3ds+xl

I wonder if this is accurate or if it's just a placeholder/tease. I'd like to do one last tax-free hurrah before Amazon tax nukes CA on the 15th. If not, GS it is.

Additional Question: How do DS games look on the unit in non 1:1 mode. Is the stretching bad or tolerable? My last "version" of the DS was the Lite.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Additional Question: How do DS games look on the unit in non 1:1 mode. Is the stretching bad or tolerable? My last "version" of the DS was the Lite.[/QUOTE]

I took a picture of mine with a DS game in 1:1 mode for you to get a better idea of what to expect:

tU2Cm.jpg

I personally think it looks great in 1:1 mode. I also tried it in stretched mode and it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to look. Yes it's definitely not as sharp, but it's tolerable.

So I picked up my XL around the time the store opened on Sunday. Got the first XL there, as well. I let the guy know before doing anything that I wanted to do a system transfer and explained everything I needed to do. He was cool with it.

First he scanned the 3DS, rang up the promo and everything. Kept my 3DS behind the counter and had me step to the side while I set up the XL as he tended to customers behind me. Once we were done, he helped start up the transfer set up for me and left the 3DS and 3DS XL near the wall to charge them both as they transferred everything. I had backed up my data and removed mostly everything from my SD card so as not to make everything take so long. Within half an hour, I had everything taken care of.

Took my XL home and have been extremely happy with how everything looks so much better. Playing DS games in their proper resolution without having to squint is really nice. Especially Game Boy/Game Boy Color games, which also benefit from it. Also found Netflix to be even more useful on it. When I put my backed up data into my XL, at first it conflicted with the newly started up data. So I basically had to remove the newer data so it could read the older one.

Didn't know about the whole free Steel Diver or Pilotwings Resort for the 3DS XL, though. Knew it was for the 3DS, just didn't know it also applied for the XL. Gonna head to GameStop later today to pick up Pilotwings.

After checking out this thread for the last two days straight I decided to finally break down and trade in my 3DS toward a XL and unfortunately the process was less than ideal so I'm having just a spot of buyer's remorse toward the whole thing. I'm hoping it eventually goes away because this system is very nice. I purchased the blue/black model and although I disliked the aqua 3DS Micro (that's what I call it now), the blue XL is sharp. Don't discount the blue/black combo.

Anyway, the store I went to had an employee that was clueless about the 3DS transfer process but was willing to let me purchase the unit at full price and return it with a 3DS for $100 credit. Super nice, helpful employee. Just needed to stress that since it gets lost in GS' overall image sometimes. I bought the 3DS XL and took it over to Starbucks to get the transfer going. Not as easy as I thought it would be. First off, the XL already required a system update before the transfer could start. I kept losing the internet connection in the store so the update took several tries. Then, when I finally did the transfer, I lost the connection right at the beginning which counted toward my 5 transfer limit.

So the transfer finally went through and took a good half hour to forty-five minutes. Keep in mind all I had on my 3DS was three DSI shop games and Pushmo. I can only imagine how long it takes for you ambassadors. After it finally finished, I noticed that my three DSI ware games were gone. At some point during the process it asked me to back them up on a SD card and I chose the option to do it, but somehow it didn't work. It's not as big a deal for me since I hardly played those games (so no crucial save points) and I was able to redownload them last night (even Four Swords Anniversary), but I did lose the little progress I had made, so just be careful if you have a lot of DSIware games with some hefty progress made.

Overall the transaction to actually purchase the XL went smoothly but the transfer process was sort of a nightmare for me. As far as the actual XL goes, I say that people that are on the fence about it really need to check it out before buying. I think some games look even better on the large screen (like Zelda 3DS, Mario Tennis surprisingly, and Street Fighter) but other games look a tad bit worse (like Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: UR). To me the graphics hit that the games take on the 3DS XL looks like what happens when you try to upscale the Wii graphics. The polygons just look a little rougher by comparison but I'm sure over time I'll get use to them. My only concern is that future games developed will be made with the regular 3DS in mind and not the XL and therefore not look as good on the bigger screen.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Additional Question: How do DS games look on the unit in non 1:1 mode. Is the stretching bad or tolerable? My last "version" of the DS was the Lite.[/QUOTE]

The only DS game I played on my XL is Bowser's Inside Story and I actually prefer the stretching to the 1:1 mode. I think having the black bars on the sides but stretching the image to the top of the screen makes it more tolerable than on the regular 3DS.

[quote name='metallicoholic']I think some games look even better on the large screen (like Zelda 3DS, Mario Tennis surprisingly, and Street Fighter) but other games look a tad bit worse (like Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: UR). To me the graphics hit that the games take on the 3DS XL looks like what happens when you try to upscale the Wii graphics. The polygons just look a little rougher by comparison but I'm sure over time I'll get use to them. My only concern is that future games developed will be made with the regular 3DS in mind and not the XL and therefore not look as good on the bigger screen.
[/QUOTE]

Everything I've seen mentioned about MK7 on the XL says that it looks a lot better than on the regular 3DS.

How did you get Four Swords? It isn't in the eShop. My transfer crapped out on me so I lost everything. It took FOREVER (almost an hour) and all I had on there was Pushmo and Four Swords. I redownloaded Pushmo but my saves were gone but I couldn't find Four Swords. I'm pretty annoyed.

The GameStop I bought from is letting me return the XL tonight, trade in my 3DS and rebuy the XL with the $100 credit. I did have to pay full price to bring it home last night though which is pretty ridiculous but chalk it up to Nintendo's inane design. The GameStop employees were very nice and helpful and they even had a ton of copies of Pilotwings so I grabbed one of those for free too.

bread's done
Back