GameStop: $100 trade in credit on 3DS to upgrade to 3DS XL!

cigaro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Preliminary word from gamestop has just come in this morning to the systems, letting them know about this promotion.

CREDIT GOES TO StormKing3 on the IGN boards. Here is a quote from him:

"I wish I could tell you more, but that is all that is known on my end at this time. If you want to call your local GS, tell them to check their "go store" or "go system" if they are not yet aware of it. I asked this clerk to check even though she insisted there was nothing. Appatently it was added this morning without prior notice. This is breaking news ATM. Even for the employees."

It seems that many of the stores are nto aware of this yet, and it will be a couple days until it is officially advertised.

I have called my local stores and ask them to check, and they have confirmed they have received the info.

This is great news for those looking for upgrades! Call your stores and see what you can find out people :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Javery']How did you get Four Swords? It isn't in the eShop. My transfer crapped out on me so I lost everything. It took FOREVER (almost an hour) and all I had on there was Pushmo and Four Swords. I redownloaded Pushmo but my saves were gone but I couldn't find Four Swords. I'm pretty annoyed.[/quote]

Shouldn't it be in your purchase history? (i would think its the same process as it was to download the ambassador games?)

Want to do this, but waiting for a warehouse deal for around $170 or so. I can get $88 for the 3DS at Amazon as of today, which really isn't bad once you consider tax at Gamestop.

[quote name='TheWildMoose']What is the tiv of a 3DS without getting an XL?[/QUOTE]
I believe it's $75 right now.

[quote name='iRandom']quick question, do GS still take HDMI cables and for how much now?[/QUOTE]They should, and when I last traded in a couple (last month) the value was $4 base for each.

In Naperville, IL. No store around here allows you to transfer at home and trade in the 3ds to get the 100 credit back. They only allow instore transfers but they don't have wifi.

Looked at store tracker. Seems the store I bought my XL doesn't have Pilotwings new. In fact, the closest one with a copy is an hour away. I really don't want Steel Diver. So I guess no free game for me. :\

I was thinking of doing this with my aqua 3DS, but I'm an ambassador and the transfer process kills this deal for me. Plus, I have the circle pad pro and I cannot play Resident Evil: Revelations without that thing so that also kinda kills it for me. With the talks of a darker screen and the resolution being stretched, I think I'll pass. The XL definitely looks nice though and that bigger screen is enticing.

[quote name='Pojo']Want to do this, but waiting for a warehouse deal for around $170 or so. I can get $88 for the 3DS at Amazon as of today, which really isn't bad once you consider tax at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Don't hold your breath because amazon isn't selling this from what I can tell. They also aren't accepting any trade-ins for it so the chances of it showing up on AWD is slim.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I was thinking of doing this with my aqua 3DS, but I'm an ambassador and the transfer process kills this deal for me. Plus, I have the circle pad pro and I cannot play Resident Evil: Revelations without that thing so that also kinda kills it for me. With the talks of a darker screen and the resolution being stretched, I think I'll pass. The XL definitely looks nice though and that bigger screen is enticing.[/QUOTE]
Transferring is easy if you follow the on screen prompts. I'm an Ambassador, got all my GBA/NES games and their saves transferred no problems.

Can't help you on the other points :D

Went to Gamestop with the intent to purchase one and do the 3DS tarde in deal, but all the XLs thay had were reserved. The guy said that he had just gotten off the phone with a few people who had reserved it too Dx. I had some games to trade in as well, and that did not go well. The guy was new, or at least it seemed that way- and he didn't know what the hell he was doing. Don't know if I'm even going to try now. Should have just gone to my regular Gamestop- figured going to the one at the mall would make transferring easier. #-o

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I was thinking of doing this with my aqua 3DS, but I'm an ambassador and the transfer process kills this deal for me. Plus, I have the circle pad pro and I cannot play Resident Evil: Revelations without that thing so that also kinda kills it for me. With the talks of a darker screen and the resolution being stretched, I think I'll pass. The XL definitely looks nice though and that bigger screen is enticing.[/QUOTE]

I've done 2 transfers and it's painless. I did one at home with my ambassador 3DS and there were not problems. I did another the next day with my daughters 3DS and I had to do it twice because I was using my iPhone as a hotspot inside GameStop.

traded my aqua 3ds today for a blue 3ds xl, idk what you guys were talking about regarding brightness, i didnt notice the screen being any darker on the XL

GS employee had me purchase system at full price, take it home then bring it back after i did my transfer with my 3ds, refunded me $100 to my card, out of free games tho :(

[quote name='henry00x']traded my aqua 3ds today for a blue 3ds xl, idk what you guys were talking about regarding brightness, i didnt notice the screen being any darker on the XL

GS employee had me purchase system at full price, take it home then bring it back after i did my transfer with my 3ds, refunded me $100 to my card, out of free games tho :([/QUOTE]

the guy at GS told me if you take a receipt to another GS they should just give u the free game but idk

[quote name='doctor lollypop']the guy at GS told me if you take a receipt to another GS they should just give u the free game but idk[/QUOTE]

My local gamestop doesn't have pilotwings either, only has that other game which I dont care for..I wonder, since the pilotwings game and the other game are both 19.99 could the gamestop just give me a 20 dollar credit(Since Im supposed to get either game) and I can just use the difference to buy another game instead

[quote name='doctor lollypop']the guy at GS told me if you take a receipt to another GS they should just give u the free game but idk[/QUOTE]
It worked for me. The other store gave me the game and a new receipt (return/rebuy then added free games).

That's YMMV.

Worked for me. The store I got my XL from was out of Pilot Wings, but another local store had it. Called, confirmed I just needed a receipt, walked in and out with Pilot Wings.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Everything I've seen mentioned about MK7 on the XL says that it looks a lot better than on the regular 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure in time I'll feel the same way, but I had been playing a lot of MK7 on the regular 3DS and I noticed the jagged pixels much more in that game when playing on the XL than any other. But I couldn't see myself going back to the smaller screen just to get slightly better graphics. No benefit of the regular 3DS over the XL is worth giving up that larger screen for.

[quote name='Javery']How did you get Four Swords? It isn't in the eShop. My transfer crapped out on me so I lost everything. It took FOREVER (almost an hour) and all I had on there was Pushmo and Four Swords. I redownloaded Pushmo but my saves were gone but I couldn't find Four Swords. I'm pretty annoyed.[/QUOTE]

As smoger said, Four Swords shows up in your download history. Just check that and it'll take you to the page to redownload it. I really thought I'd lost that one forever. That really sucks to hear that you lost your Pushmo progress. That's the only game on my 3DS that I did not want to lose the progress in.

I'm a sucker for handheld systems; especially special edition versions. Reading all of your praise for the XL makes me want one, but I'm hoping a SE version comes out on black Friday like last year. :)

I’ve been comparing the 3DS and the 3DS XL over the past few days and I’m torn. Part of me wants to keep the XL and part of me wants to keep my original 3DS. The XL is growing on me slowly. It’s more comfortable to hold, and I love how the ambassador titles look. I’m liking the XL more than I did originally, but I’m just finding it hard to get over the dimmer screen. Last night, I played Dead or Alive Dimensions and Star Fox. On the XL, the jaggedness of the graphics really showed., but I really enjoyed the larger screen. After popping the game into my original 3DS, the difference was apparent. Star Fox and Dead or Alive looked substantially better on the original 3DS. I also tried Snake Eater 3D, and it looks way better on the 3DS than on the XL. This is really what I’m struggling with. Larger screen vs. better graphics. This may be a far stretch, but when it comes to screen quality, I almost feel like I’m going from DS lite quality to original DS quality. On the 3DS, I never had a problem with the 3d. Once I held the system at the right angle, I never had trouble with my eyes. But with the XL, I’ve noticed that even when I hold the system steady, there are moments I have to adjust it for my eyes. This never happened with the original 3DS. Even my wife, who is not a gamer, said the 3DS screen looks way better than the XL screen. I have several days to decide which system I will keep. It is certainly much tougher than I ever anticipated.

Maybe it's due to playing Wii/VC/emulators on a big screen TV and I've gotten used to it, but the "jaggedness" on the XL really doesn't bother me. Then again, I played the Phoenix Wright games on Wii and DS, and while they look horrendous on Wii I eventually got used to it and it didn't bug me.

i really dont see this 'dimmer screen' thing you guys are talking about, leads me to believe its an issue on certain models. Perhaps its because i do not have a 3ds to compare it to side by side

The screen is slightly dimmer than the original but it's still plenty bright enough for me. I don't think I would have even noticed if I didn't do the system transfer with them next to each other.

None of the stores in my area would allow me to take it home and then come back to do the trade in either .. even paying full price upfront.

Having an ambassador model as well as some purchased games on there, I am not going to lose those items just because GS employees are a bunch of assholes (at least in this area)

I haven't played an XL yet, but for those of you complaining about screen dimness: Were you playing your 3DS with the brightness fully cranked? I always played with the brightness at default or sometimes even lower. I felt it was too bright at max and killed the battery too quick. Is the XL at full brightness or at least as bright as the 3DS at default?

[quote name='AdvOfJet']None of the stores in my area would allow me to take it home and then come back to do the trade in either .. even paying full price upfront.

Having an ambassador model as well as some purchased games on there, I am not going to lose those items just because GS employees are a bunch of assholes (at least in this area)[/QUOTE]

Ugh that sucks. Would they let you do it in store if you had access to a hot spot? That's actually what I did...

[quote name='AdvOfJet']None of the stores in my area would allow me to take it home and then come back to do the trade in either .. even paying full price upfront.

Having an ambassador model as well as some purchased games on there, I am not going to lose those items just because GS employees are a bunch of assholes (at least in this area)[/QUOTE]

That's when you say "Hey, that's up to you guys, I'll be emailing GS about my experience tonight so you can expect your district manager to hear about it any day now. You can't just accept this trade in and make me lose all my games I have on here without giving me some type of alternative...what are you guys even thinking?"

I paid full price for the 3ds XL in my area, took it home and did the transfer. Brought it back along with my 3ds and they gave me the difference back in cash. Also got Pilot Wings for free which im just going to trade in since I really have no desire to keep it.

I think I would bite on trading the system in if it wasn't for the circle pad pro issue. I still haven't finished RE: Revelations and I seriously doubt I could play the game without that thing. My only other option would be to suck it up and just buy the XL and have both, but that would be a total waste of money. Ugh.

Got a blue one today. No wifi in store, so had to go to McDonald's. First time, got all the way to the last step and my 3DS dropped the signal, so had to do it over. Went back to GS and got my $100 back. No Pilot Wings, so got Steel Diver. (The worker thought it was only for regular 3DS, but then he tried it since I told him online XL was included.)

I was kind of going back and forth, but I think I'm going to love the bigger screen and, more importantly, being more comfortable to hold despite liking my aqua blue DS color and brighter screen. At least I don't have to worry about dealing with eBay buyers either, doubt it would be worth the pain for a few dollars more now or at Xmas. My 3DS had marks on the top screen due to the edges of bottom screen, so let them deal with it.

[quote name='duran603']I have several days to decide which system I will keep. It is certainly much tougher than I ever anticipated.[/QUOTE]

Why do you have to give up one? Did you trade in at GS? If that's the case, would they actually take the XL back?

As far as deciding which system to keep, I would use each system for an entire day exclusively and see if you are bothered more by the jagged graphics or the smaller screen. If you play a lot of DS/DSI/downloadable games, I think the XL is the way to go.

[quote name='Deader2818']I paid full price for the 3ds XL in my area, took it home and did the transfer. Brought it back along with my 3ds and they gave me the difference back in cash. Also got Pilot Wings for free which im just going to trade in since I really have no desire to keep it.[/QUOTE]

If you want Steel Diver instead, I'll trade you! *crickets*

Sorry, just browsed through and I don't see how long this deal goes...assuming through the Saturday?

If the Sears deals some people are seeing pop up tomorrow I could potentially get a 3DS for under $100 to trade in for $100...

Anyone try trading in more than one 3DS or combination of a 3DS and Dsi or XL? I tried trading in two 3DS's tonight and they'd only give me $100 for the one and $75 for the 2nd one. I thought I'd get $100 for each.

Got my XL today. Transferring right now. It's a lot nicer than they make it look in the official artwork. Forgot to grab the free game though. Probably do that tomorrow when I bring my old 3DS in. Should have gone to that Gamestop in the first place, because I never have any problems there. Plus, there's that cute chick working the register.

[quote name='JKSonic']Sorry, just browsed through and I don't see how long this deal goes...assuming through the Saturday?

If the Sears deals some people are seeing pop up tomorrow I could potentially get a 3DS for under $100 to trade in for $100...[/QUOTE]

DealSeeker2U posted a handout listing the current promos and according to it this promo ends on September 16th.

[quote name='deyanks98']Anyone try trading in more than one 3DS or combination of a 3DS and Dsi or XL? I tried trading in two 3DS's tonight and they'd only give me $100 for the one and $75 for the 2nd one. I thought I'd get $100 for each.[/QUOTE]

Dude its only works "one per game system" so you would have to get another 3ds xl if you wanted $100 for the other one....there not stupid enough to give you 200 bucks for both,that would be dumb.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I think I would bite on trading the system in if it wasn't for the circle pad pro issue. I still haven't finished RE: Revelations and I seriously doubt I could play the game without that thing. My only other option would be to suck it up and just buy the XL and have both, but that would be a total waste of money. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has already announced a circle pad pro for the XL

[quote name='deyanks98']Anyone try trading in more than one 3DS or combination of a 3DS and Dsi or XL? I tried trading in two 3DS's tonight and they'd only give me $100 for the one and $75 for the 2nd one. I thought I'd get $100 for each.[/QUOTE]

I did this... I traded in a 3DS for a 3DS XL and got the $100 value. Then, on a separate transaction I traded in a DSi and got $50 (includes bonus) as GS credit. Took a bit of work, but the GS employee really went out of his way to help me by trying a number of combinations on the computer...

So did you end up paying $50 for the 3DS XL or $100 and then they gave you a $50 credit? The employee did mention I could buy 2 XL's to get $100 off both, but that doesn't really help me. Did they make you buy something with that 2nd transaction or did he just do that to get you the extra credit?

Took forever to do the exchange. Had to wait for so long... The guy there gave me my money back in cash rather than just put it back onto my debit card (that's what they usually do- and I didn't pay for any of it in cash originally. All debit and GS credit).

Really like the XL. Only issues I've had so far is that it is quieter (but the sound quality sounds improved over the original- less tinny), and that mine came with a stuck pixel (only shows up when it has to display dark colors- displays bright colors fine). Would exchange it if it weren't for the whole transfer thing. I'm hoping it fixes itself (which I have had happen before), because I don't really want to have to send it to Nintendo.

Managed to swap out my unwanted copy of Steel Diver for Pilotwings at GS today, so if you can only get one game but want the other, you should be able to swap them out at a store that has the game you want.

Pilotwings was gutted, which surprisingly doesn't happen very often to me at GS. It slightly irked me only because the copy of Steel Diver I exchanged was sealed. I actually saw the guy put the game and manual in the box then seal it with a clear circular sticker. It seemed pretty unnecessary to seal the game at that point, like the employee hopes that by the time I get home I'm going to forget and think it's a new copy or something.

Well that went better than expected. I had a DSi and a 3DS to get rid of. After some discussion with the clerk and manager I was able to trade in my DSi for $50 and buy a 3DS XL. Then I took it home and did the transfer and went right back and did a return rebuy. I traded the 3ds for $100 on that transaction so I was able to get the 3DS XL for a little over $60 after tax.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Well that went better than expected. I had a DSi and a 3DS to get rid of. After some discussion with the clerk and manager I was able to trade in my DSi for $50 and buy a 3DS XL. Then I took it home and did the transfer and went right back and did a return rebuy. I traded the 3ds for $100 on that transaction so I was able to get the 3DS XL for a little over $60 after tax.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I did and my total for the 3ds including tax was $53. It was great deal.

[quote name='Cygnus11']This is exactly what I did and my total for the 3ds including tax was $53. It was great deal.[/QUOTE]
I can't imagine the difference in tax percentage is that great. They must have taxed the after discount amount for you and the pre-discount amount for me. Or something like that.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']I can't imagine the difference in tax percentage is that great. They must have taxed the after discount amount for you and the pre-discount amount for me. Or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's exactly what they did for me. Before I returned my 3ds for the credit, the total was $162. They ended up returning my original purchase and starting over. They treated it like I had $150 in a gift card (the amount for my DSi and 3DS), then only charged me tax on the remaining $50. Pretty sweet.

Either way, trading in old hardware for a new 3DS XL for only $60ish is a great deal.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Well that went better than expected. I had a DSi and a 3DS to get rid of. After some discussion with the clerk and manager I was able to trade in my DSi for $50 and buy a 3DS XL. Then I took it home and did the transfer and went right back and did a return rebuy. I traded the 3ds for $100 on that transaction so I was able to get the 3DS XL for a little over $60 after tax.[/QUOTE]

This is YMMV right? Thought you were only able to trade in one DS device and get the bonus applied.

bread's done
Back