Gamestop B2G1 Free Sale - Starts 6/28 PUR Members

poker360

Banned
790X161_B2G1F.jpg

Terms and Conditions: Free pre-owned item must be of equal or lesser value. Not valid with any other offer. Hardware not eligible as free item. See associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Valid 6/28/12-7/1/12 for PowerUp Rewards Members. 6/29/12-7/1/12 for all customers.

picked up

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
disgaea for the ds (good luck finding that game)
and
ZUMA for 27 bucks

Took professor over to best buy flip it for 12.60 (say 13)

so i can say i paid 14 for disgaea and zuma revenge

In store, if you buy 3 $17.99 games and 3 $9.99 games in the same transaction, will the system automatically give you the two cheapest games free ($9.99 in this case) or will it match up the sets of 3 and give 1 $17.99 and 1 $9.99? I have never tried buying more than 3 at a time at any one store, so I'm not sure if its necessary to break them up into two transactions.

[quote name='winterlane']In store, if you buy 3 $17.99 games and 3 $9.99 games in the same transaction, will the system automatically give you the two cheapest games free ($9.99 in this case) or will it match up the sets of 3 and give 1 $17.99 and 1 $9.99? I have never tried buying more than 3 at a time at any one store, so I'm not sure if its necessary to break them up into two transactions.[/QUOTE]

They would give you two $9.99 games free. You do need to split transactions.

Decided to get these games if anyone needs ideas (they were all $31.46 each after the PUR 10% off)

:360: Goldeneye 007
:ps3: Metal Gear HD Collection
:ps3: Mortal Kombat (found a case with an unused online pass)

[quote name='Alkalinejoe']They would give you two $9.99 games free. You do need to split transactions.[/QUOTE]

Did they change this? It used to group them properly.

[quote name='daminion']Did they change this? It used to group them properly.[/QUOTE]

More effort has been used in this topic to discuss this situation than would be used to make more than one transaction. Ridiculous.

Picked up:
The Saboteur
Wheelman
Fear 3

After i left, i noticed they charged me 19.99 for Fear 3 instead of the online 17.99. Whats up with that? Will probably go back this weekend to check it out.

Lol. I just picked up some games after trading in my old copy of SSX and the employee I was talking to was ranting for like 10 minutes about how best buy sucks and is trying too hard to be like gamestop because I told him I pre-ordered over there for the $20 GC deals. Some people....

can you buy a $19.99 game and $9.99 and get a $19.99 game for free? or youd have to buy the two highest priced games?

[quote name='daminion']Did they change this? It used to group them properly.[/QUOTE]
Hmmm I haven't done it this sale yet, but I recall the last one B2G1 I participated in I had to do separate transactions.

Also, can you return a game you got with this promo for store credit or will I be forced to get something of equal value? I got Dragon Age: Origins as my free game (Though it was priced as the same as my 2nd highest priced game) and I realized now I'd rather go back in later and get the Ultimate edition.

The computer automatically grouped my sets correctly, so no need for separate transactions. Something like 70% of my list ended up being disc only in store, so I had to struggle to piece together the scraps into price appropriate sets.

The cashier also argued with me for over 5 minutes about how PUR Pro was "free", when I kept insisting I wasn't trading/buying enough to justify the $15. She ended up forcibly running the transaction with the PUR upgrade and my credit balance being $0.84, saying, "See? You don't have to pay anything" and then me going, "But you just ate up $8 in credit that I would have had otherwise. I DON"T WANT TO UPGRADE!!!" She didn't understand why (or pretended not to, I don't know which is more pathetic).

Well I did okay for filling in some holes:

:360:
Bioshock 1 & 2
Condemned 1 (gh) & 2
Fable 2
Far Cry Instincts/Predator
Far Cry 2
GRAW 1
Rainbow6 Vegas
Stranglehold (need another sub $5 game, hope this doesn't suck too bad)

:ps3:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Rage

Not bad for ~$60 after tax. All copies were in really great shape and complete which is a bonus.

FYI- The system did group the games into the proper sets, which is nice.

[quote name='Multibeaster79']Well I did okay for filling in some holes:

:360:
Bioshock 1 & 2
Condemned 1 (gh) & 2
Fable 2
Far Cry Instincts/Predator
Far Cry 2
GRAW 1
Rainbow6 Vegas
Stranglehold (need another sub $5 game, hope this doesn't suck too bad)

:ps3:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Rage

Not bad for ~$60 after tax. All copies were in really great shape and complete which is a bonus.

FYI- The system did group the games into the proper sets, which is nice.[/QUOTE]

Stranglehold is decent. I know the PS3 CE version comes with the movie Hard Boiled, too.

I think they have quotas they have to reach on so many magazine subscriptions and pre-orders a month. So she was probably trying to get you for one. That's so weird. I hate it when they get all crazy with that stuff. I told the guy once that I had nothing I wanted to preorder, and he flipped out and started pointing to the sign behind him loudly shouting "You don't want the new zelda!? Or the new call of duty!? Seriously bro??? Come on." People were just staring at us. I just firmly had to tell him "no" several times before finally completeing my transaction. And do you know what I was buying? One copy of devil survivor for my ds. I had a coupon and some credit so it was only like $9. He made a huge deal over a $9 purchase. I really don't go to that one anymore.

Picked up these for 360 for like $15 total, lol.

Guitar Hero 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Rock Band 2
Guitar Hero 3
AC/DC Rock Band concert
Frontline Fuel of War

:ps2:
medal of honor rising sun
hitman blood money
medal of honor frontline
rygarthe legendary adventure
ace combat 4
siren
total under $8

I hate how my local stores ALWAYS put the used sticker on the back of DS games. Always leaves sticky residue, especially if the sticker/game is old

[quote name='TheCro']Also, can you return a game you got with this promo for store credit or will I be forced to get something of equal value? I got Dragon Age: Origins as my free game (Though it was priced as the same as my 2nd highest priced game) and I realized now I'd rather go back in later and get the Ultimate edition.[/QUOTE]

I'm not exactly sure how this works. I'm pretty sure by store clerk was confused. Today I bought WWE AllStars, MLB 11 The Show, and an afterglow controller. Decided screw it I don't want this controller would rather have another game. I went to a different gamestop (had to cancel preorders) to return/rebuy.

He returned all three at full price, then sold me back b2g1 so basically like a b1g2 because he should have returned WWE at $0 not $17 but I didn't realize it till I got back home. Oh well.

He also said something strange. They have no way of preventing you from returning a paid game that you bought with b2g1 and not returning the other 2. The only way he said to do this was for the clerk to say something so YMMV and you will be ripping off Gamestop but technically you could b2g1 then return a bought one for full price if the clerk lets you.

tldr; My clerk screwed up and gave me free money. Also I would bring all three games just in case they make you return/rebuy. (Which they should do)

[quote name='.Virus']thank you for making me sad :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah because buying 2 99 cent games and getting a free 55 dollar game would be one great business practice. Granted, it has worked at Best Buy but you see what kind of shape they're in.

[quote name='dgwillia006']I hate how my local stores ALWAYS put the used sticker on the back of DS games. Always leaves sticky residue, especially if the sticker/game is old[/QUOTE]

Pick up some Goo Gone. Stuff works wonders on stickers. Also if you want really nice shiny cases use some WD-40. It'll make a 20yr old case look new. (The smell goes away in a day or so).

I also always wondered how GS handled returns of B2G1, since they $.00 the least expensive game. Other retailers discount the bundle to achieve the "free game.". Well I would imagine any clerk with half a brain would deny the return... But who knows?

[quote name='Multibeaster79']Pick up some Goo Gone. Stuff works wonders on stickers. Also if you want really nice shiny cases use some WD-40. It'll make a 20yr old case look new. (The smell goes away in a day or so).

I also always wondered how GS handled returns of B2G1, since they $.00 the least expensive game. Other retailers discount the bundle to achieve the "free game.". Well I would imagine any clerk with half a brain would deny the return... But who knows?[/QUOTE]

From my past experience, they usually deny the return unless you also return the free game, though i also remember a few stores that would deduct the price of the free game from what you were returning.

I picked up:

Ghost Recon Future Soldier 360 (unused online pass)
Ghost Recon Future Soldier PS3 (to trade into bestbuy, trade, or sell)
Max Payne 3 360

[quote name='phoenixlau']The computer automatically grouped my sets correctly, so no need for separate transactions. Something like 70% of my list ended up being disc only in store, so I had to struggle to piece together the scraps into price appropriate sets.

The cashier also argued with me for over 5 minutes about how PUR Pro was "free", when I kept insisting I wasn't trading/buying enough to justify the $15. She ended up forcibly running the transaction with the PUR upgrade and my credit balance being $0.84, saying, "See? You don't have to pay anything" and then me going, "But you just ate up $8 in credit that I would have had otherwise. I DON"T WANT TO UPGRADE!!!" She didn't understand why (or pretended not to, I don't know which is more pathetic).[/QUOTE]If youre not a power member, the b2g1 starts tommorrow for you.

Went ahead and bought two sets of games.

Moderately Priced:
Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (PS3) - $34
Mario Kart Wii - $35
Soul Calibur V (PS3) - $31

I was pacing back and forth wondering whether I should get Starhawk Limited Edition at $34 but elected go with Mario Kart since I knew what to expect with a Mario Kart game.

Good Priced:
You Don't Know Jack (360) - $15
Mass Effect 2 (PS3) - $17
Kirby Epic Yarn - $11

The games I really wanted were the complete editions of Grand Theft Auto IV and L.A. Noire and the GOTY edition of Red Dead Redemption. The GameStop I went to didn't have them, and I thought Arkham City GOTY was such a nice find I might as well have done my transaction there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='k1ngster']If youre not a power member, the b2g1 starts tommorrow for you.[/QUOTE]
I am a PUR member (free tier), so the B2G1 worked just fine today, thanks.

If you don't want to deal with the smell of liquids, you can get rid of most sticker residue with clear packing tape. Just repeatedly press and lift, press and lift. Your fingers can get sticky after a while though.

[quote name='k1ngster']^ Dude, get Soul Calibur V for 15 at best buy.[/QUOTE]
what he said, unless soul calibur is completely oos at ur local bb

i didn't do a buy 2 get 1 free, but i did pick up a used copy of the NEW lego batman 2 (vita) for $23.84. i used a $10 power up rewards coupon and plus the 10% off.
so im happy for what i got and the price :)

Used the gamestop to bb flip thread and turned $62.xx in gs credit to $142 bb credit by flipping complete garbage shovelware. Grabbed Amazing Spiderman (360) , Spiderman 1(blu) and spiderman 2(blu) and an Otterbox Defender phone case for my girls iphone. Cost $132 in credit, but both blu rays came with $10 off movie ticket vouchers for the new spiderman.

On a side note, met my first Other CAG in person. The cashier at GS mentioned being on the site, but not sure if he's just a lurker or if he contributes

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Used the gamestop to bb flip thread and turned $62.xx in gs credit to $142 bb credit by flipping complete garbage shovelware. Grabbed Amazing Spiderman (360) , Spiderman 1(blu) and spiderman 2(blu) and an Otterbox Defender phone case for my girls iphone. Cost $132 in credit, but both blu rays came with $10 off movie ticket vouchers for the new spiderman.

On a side note, met my first Other CAG in person. The cashier at GS mentioned being on the site, but not sure if he's just a lurker or if he contributes[/QUOTE]
hey dude, how do you go about that ?
did you say you took $62 in game stop and got $142 in bestbuy credit, how ?

[quote name='Alex121006']hey dude, how do you go about that ?
did you say you took $62 in game stop and got $142 in bestbuy credit, how ?[/QUOTE]
By using the gamestop trade in thread. Geez, is there an echo in here?

[quote name='kouleefoh']By using the gamestop trade in thread. Geez, is there an echo in here?[/QUOTE]

How about we cut out the middle man and you just give me money. Eh? Eh?

[quote name='Alex121006']hey dude, how do you go about that ?
did you say you took $62 in game stop and got $142 in bestbuy credit, how ?[/QUOTE]

By using this thread (for like the 3rd time today, thanks XF Gator for creating) http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322515

You gotta be prepared to spend at least an hour total. I used the website to locate the gamestop store nearest to me that had the most games on the list in stock, I then created a list of 3 game groups of similar values that I planned to find and buy at GS, then I went and found them. Then I went to the BB across the street (F them, their machine for trade ins was broken), so I went to the other BB 15 minutes away and did my trade there, and walked away with $142 (or could have been $147) in BB credit. PM me if you want a list of the games I bought and traded.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Thinking of getting Asura's Wrath, God of War Origins Collection and DMC: HD Collection[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to get anything, then I saw your post and i got the same 3 :D Thanks!

[quote name='.Virus']can you buy a $19.99 game and $9.99 and get a $19.99 game for free? or youd have to buy the two highest priced games?[/QUOTE]

Wow..... Just wow......... I am disappoint.

bread's done
Back