GameStop Cataclysm Perk Pack - Discounts on gaming accessories and more

GameStopTom

CAGiversary!
GameStop is offering some discounts in support of the launch of WOW: Cataclysm in the form of the "Cataclysm Perk Pack." Here's the scoop:

• 20% off select EVGA/NVIDIA video cards
• 20% off the purchase of any LinkSys Wireless Router or Cisco Valet product
• 20% off In-Stock accessories from GameStop.com
• 20% off select SteelSeries accessories
• Save $375 instantly on the Alienware M15

Receive the Cataclysm Perk Pack loaded with special partner offers and get additional PowerUp Rewards incentives at GameStop within the first 48 hours of the launch of World of WarCraft: Cataclysm. Pick up your game starting at midnight 12.6 and start reaping the benefits of the Cataclysm Perk Pack immediately!

Here's the link for complete details:
gamestop.com/gs/landing/warcraftcataclysm/offers.aspx

Disclosure: I'm working with GameStop

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bertyo']Since you're working with Gamestop, please tell your higher ups that their deals are awful.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean these particular deals or in general?

[quote name='GameStopTom']Do you mean these particular deals or in general?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much in general, I haven't bought anything from Gamestop in ages. Not trying to be a dick, just saying though.

Yeah, give us back the additional 10% on used games when we buy online and use a code like CAG16 with the Powerups card. You can't guarantee a complete game, even when you did have a guarantee, and you want to take this away from us?

You had good deals online during the spring/early summer (ie. Power Hour Red Dead Redemption for $23.99) until after the B&M summer sale in which you went back to your mediocre ways.

[quote name='nnickers']Deduction:
GameStopTom may work for Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this. What gave it away?

[quote name='Bertyo']Pretty much in general, I haven't bought anything from Gamestop in ages. Not trying to be a dick, just saying though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='vlv723']You had good deals online during the spring/early summer (ie. Power Hour Red Dead Redemption for $23.99) until after the B&M summer sale in which you went back to your mediocre ways.[/QUOTE]

I'll relay your feedback to the powers-that-be.

Any thoughts on the topic at hand - that is, Cataclysm?

The problem with Gamestop isn't so much their deals, it's their store policy of gutting new copies of games. For that reason, I will never shop at a GS retail store, ever again.

It's always the same old lecture, "Oh yeah, it's brand new!". BULL@#$% it's new! Especially with the news about how employees "rent" their "new" games out.

[quote name='GameStopTom']I'll relay your feedback to the powers-that-be.

Any thoughts on the topic at hand - that is, Cataclysm?[/QUOTE]

I think that if you had an ATI option I would jump.

[quote name='Danro']sooooooooo...........

what are the additional powerup rewards incentives if you dont mind me asking?[/QUOTE]

Good question. They're not up on the site currently - let me check with home base and I'll post details here.

You can't stack powerup with CAG16 anymore? Big step down, no reason to shop at gamestop anymore. But then again I never had a reason because gamestop cancels all my orders. I'm not a business major but in my humble opinion I think it makes sense to allow customers to be able to buy your products. You can tell that to your higher ups.

Decent deal on the M15x though

[quote name='lolmister']You can't stack powerup with CAG16 anymore? Big step down, no reason to shop at gamestop anymore. But then again I never had a reason because gamestop cancels all my orders. I'm not a business major but in my humble opinion I think it makes sense to allow customers to be able to buy your products. You can tell that to your higher ups.

Decent deal on the M15x though[/QUOTE]
I havent purchased one game off GS.com since I switched to the rewards card for this exact reason:bomb:

I remember being excited for about two minutes upon discovering I was entitled to a Starcraft II "Perk Pack" until realizing: a) everyone was entitled to it, and b) it sucked.

[quote name='GameStopTom']Any thoughts on the topic at hand - that is, Cataclysm?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Amazon called. You're doing it wrong.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, Amazon called. You're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

You did that wrong.

Thanks for the offer, Tom, but why is Gamestop trying to dip their feet back in the cold PC pool?

Nice offer... sorta

1. I had mine preordered for the midnight release but Im moving it to amazon for the $10 credit (way better than a discount on junk I don't need from an over-priced store. If I want PC stuff I'll hit up newegg or somewhere else). (p.s. midnight release doesn't tempt me this time around since I have classes tuesday so I might as well wait)

2. Gamestop offends me with the un-new-new-gutted-not-new-sold-as-new-full-price policy. Nothing personal "GS Tom", but if I pay for new I want new. Would you buy Asprin without the tamper-seal? Would you pay new car MSRP for a used vehicle? Would anyone pay full retail price for a used Ipod?
(and yes, this doesn't apply to games like Cataclysm... but my purchasing dollars have principals unlike your company).

All of that aside, it's not a TERRIBLE deal. It just looks thrown in at the last moment to tack on some extra sell money like a shill offer. :whistle2:|

20% off accessories is the most enticing thing there, and I'm not even thinking of shopping for any accessories.

That says a bunch there.

wow im impressed so many ppl pretend to have morals... i know if i had the opportunity id want to play a game without having to pay money to rent it/buy it yet you guys act as if you piss holy water... i mean seriously unless you got a disk thats looked like someone took a Brillo pad to it whats it hurt you? your still getting the product you wanted in the shape you wanted it right? so your saying gamestop should just throw the game out on the self so ppl can just walk off with it? I like being able to check out a instruction booklet or two to see what the games about sometimes the spanglish on the back isnt enough info.

It is the fact that one pays for an opened game at the price of a new unopened game. Some times the stuff that is gutted is missing things and gamestop still charges full price for. Last game I bought from gamestop that was not a preorder was devil may cry 4. When I picked up the LE version and went to pay for it I was told it was the last one and said OK. After that the guy rang it up and started to put them stickers on it. I asked where the extra discs were and was told it didn't come with them. I told him look at the back that it does. He then told me they were out. It took him and another employee to look for them when the manager came up and found them first place they looked. After that the manager put the damn stickers on the case.

The fact that things that are to come with the game employees try to keep, the damn stickers placed on the case and that the game is open and now no longer new are what make people mad about the gutted games. They should not be sold as new and as for the display I'm sure gamestop can come up with something different.

[quote name='Monkey Scope']wow im impressed so many ppl pretend to have morals... i know if i had the opportunity id want to play a game without having to pay money to rent it/buy it yet you guys act as if you piss holy water... i mean seriously unless you got a disk thats looked like someone took a Brillo pad to it whats it hurt you? your still getting the product you wanted in the shape you wanted it right? so your saying gamestop should just throw the game out on the self so ppl can just walk off with it? I like being able to check out a instruction booklet or two to see what the games about sometimes the spanglish on the back isnt enough info.[/QUOTE]

How is every other retailer in the world able to figure out security issues? Why not use plastic boxes with an alarm? Why not put the checkout at the front door? Why not calculate your potential lost sales and compare that to theft losses? All I know is that I would NEVER buy a new games at gamestop as long as the games come opened.

[quote name='sendme']It is the fact that one pays for an opened game at the price of a new unopened game. Some times the stuff that is gutted is missing things and gamestop still charges full price for. Last game I bought from gamestop that was not a preorder was devil may cry 4. When I picked up the LE version and went to pay for it I was told it was the last one and said OK. After that the guy rang it up and started to put them stickers on it. I asked where the extra discs were and was told it didn't come with them. I told him look at the back that it does. He then told me they were out. It took him and another employee to look for them when the manager came up and found them first place they looked. After that the manager put the damn stickers on the case.

The fact that things that are to come with the game employees try to keep, the damn stickers placed on the case and that the game is open and now no longer new are what make people mad about the gutted games. They should not be sold as new and as for the display I'm sure gamestop can come up with something different.[/QUOTE]

This.

fuck Gamestop.

The only time to buy a new game at Gamestop is if it's a new realize. I have never had a new release be opened. I have also had luck now and then getting older released unopened as well.

But the fact is it's opened and sometimes used...yet they are selling it for the same price as unused and unopened games. I don't see how anybody can defend that. If there's an opened/returned item at Best Buy the SELL IT as opened/returned. Most of the time the products are probably completely unused, but they still sell it discounted.

Personally though do I care? I mean if that's the only place I can find an older game new (assuming I want it new) then I'll get it there regardless. So sometimes I care sometimes I don't.

I would rather not get a bunch of crappy deals on stuff I wouldn't buy regularly. I would MUCH rather have a coupon towards the purchase of something that I know I will buy later (aka a game). Yeah, all those deals together lead to something decent, but I have to go spend a ton of money on steelseries gear or video cards because even after 20% off, those items are still expensive. I mean come on, the M15 Laptop is $1100... Even after saving $375, that's still an ass ton of money to spend. Maybe someone will buy it... who knows.

Also, you say "Select" video cards and "Select" Steel Series on the only 2 things in that list that even remotely interest me, so I have no desire to risk not being able to get something I actually want.

These kinds of deals make people feel obligated to buy something they wouldn't normally buy just because they don't want their deal to go to waste. I don't like that kind of marketing. If you're going to make me want to buy something, make me want to buy another video game from your store...

So no thanks... Nothing against you, but my personal boycott against Gamestop will not be beaten by this deal ;).

[quote name='blahtastic']The problem with Gamestop isn't so much their deals, it's their store policy of gutting new copies of games. For that reason, I will never shop at a GS retail store, ever again.

It's always the same old lecture, "Oh yeah, it's brand new!". BULL@#$% it's new! Especially with the news about how employees "rent" their "new" games out.[/QUOTE]

Well that and.......

1- The annoying and constant badgering of pre-order, club memberships, buying used, trading in used games and so on. Ask someone if they need help one time when they come in and if not leave them alone. Cant even call without hearing "Hello, gamestop where you can trade in your games for shitty prices and were now taking pre orders on every game that isnt out yet and with our new rewards card you can have .3% when you prepurchase this game and it comes with a gamestop exclusive, rare and valuable code to download a weapon in multiplayer that is exactly like the normal one everyone else has except its gold.....and did I mention you can trade your games in? My name joe how can I help you?"

2- The annoying kids they hire that dont paid anything and only part and always on the verge of being fired so they dont give a shit about their job employees.

3- Shitty trade in values.

4- Over priced used games.

5- Lack of inventory that you cant easily find at other stores.

6- The fact its a crap shoot sometimes if youll get your pre order bonus items with your game unless your there when UPS drops the stuff off because employees will give that stuff to their friends, other customers or just keep them.

7- The fact used games get price tags put under the plastic on and on the artwork themselves.

[quote name='gargus']Well that and.......

1- The annoying and constant badgering of pre-order, club memberships, buying used, trading in used games and so on. Ask someone if they need help one time when they come in and if not leave them alone. Cant even call without hearing "Hello, gamestop where you can trade in your games for shitty prices and were now taking pre orders on every game that isnt out yet and with our new rewards card you can have .3% when you prepurchase this game and it comes with a gamestop exclusive, rare and valuable code to download a weapon in multiplayer that is exactly like the normal one everyone else has except its gold.....and did I mention you can trade your games in? My name joe how can I help you?"

2- The annoying kids they hire that dont paid anything and only part and always on the verge of being fired so they dont give a shit about their job employees.

3- Shitty trade in values.

4- Over priced used games.

5- Lack of inventory that you cant easily find at other stores.

6- The fact its a crap shoot sometimes if youll get your pre order bonus items with your game unless your there when UPS drops the stuff off because employees will give that stuff to their friends, other customers or just keep them.

7- The fact used games get price tags put under the plastic on and on the artwork themselves.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, all reasons I've boycotted GameStop. The straw that broke the camels back for me was when they randomly deleted my Starcraft 2: CE Preorder (that I placed MONTHS before they sold out) and when I called and asked wtf was up and if I could get it back, they said no because they didn't have anymore. Ass holes.

But yeah, the renting out new games to employees is completely unacceptable. Used games, sure. New games, hell no. Gamestop carries some of the worst policies of any company I've ever heard of (and Walmart is pretty damn bad) and for that, I refuse to use them. It would take a miracle deal to change that.

Maybe GamestopTom can pull an "SHC-Gamer" for gamestop and completely reverse their reputation here. But we've had gamestop reps try before and they've all left in pretty short time. The company simply doesn't try as hard as other retailers to provide deals people care about on games people want.

I stopped shopping at Gamestop.com ever since checking out stopped working for me. Every time I've tried to buy something in the past year, I've gotten an "Oops! Game Over" error screen. Does this mean I'm banned? If so, that's absolutely ridiculous. I do buy multiple copies to resell sometimes, but I also buy and trade-in craploads of games in-store. I've also renewed my Edge card (now Power-Up card) for like, the past 10 years. :lol:

While we're ripping into GameStop where the GameStop corporate guy can see it, I'll throw in my complaint as well . . .

Earlier in the year when GameStop did that 25% off coupon that was good for pre-orders, I placed a bunch of pre-orders for upcoming titles. Not only was it great to get a discount on a bunch of new games, but it also erased a lot of my previous bad feelings toward the company and caused me to start buying from them a lot more outside the coupon as well. All in all, it was a win-win situation for both me and GameStop. That was until July, when: 1. I moved, and 2. my credit card company issued me a new card with a new number.

So hey, simple enough, right? Call up customer service, change the card, change the billing address (the shipping address was my office, so that didn't need to change), done. Only customer service couldn't actually do any of that. They told me that the only way that my billing info could be changed would be for me to cancel all of my existing pre-orders and place new ones.

Only one problem with that plan -- the coupon had expired, so if I were to place new pre-orders, I'd lose the discount and would be paying full price for everything. Apparently, they couldn't do anything for me.

fuck that. All of that good will toward GameStop that the coupon had brought? Gone in an instant. My pre-orders are now with Amazon.

fuck GameStop.

And that's another reason why gamestop is garbage. I was starting to shop there with their great trade-in-deals but their b&m prices suck, their customer service sucks, their online store is broken, and their business ethics are terrible. Never shopping there again barring a tremendous turn around.

Besides that, the new rewards program isn't supported well. I had points deducted for a return that I never got credited for in the first place (3 copies of Birth By Sleep from the website that didn't have the case or manual, predictably). When I called over a week later, the rep just said the program is still in beta and to call back later. Still no corrections on that. The whole "beta" label seems pretty pathetic...hasn't the program been tested for months now? Is it even optional to keep the old EDGE card?

[quote name='dudejeff22']Question. Does 20% off accessories apply to the PS Move?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. That would actually be a good deal after all...

[quote name='ninja dog']Maybe GamestopTom can pull an "SHC-Gamer" for gamestop and completely reverse their reputation here.[/QUOTE]
I'd like to point out that Kmart is far worse than GS because of how they handle promotions and the employees. The only reason people aren't shitting on SHC is because of the amazing deals he's throwing down. With GameStop you can count on promotions applying correctly, being updated punctually, and almost never require customer service intervention. You can also count on games being in stock on time and being able to find an employee.

Now, I don't shop at either place unless I'm flipping games (and even then I haven't set foot in my Kmart), so both are equally terrible in my eyes. GS deserves the hate, but Kmart has done nothing for their reputation other than being the place for frustration and disappointment.

[quote name='Jodou']I'd like to point out that Kmart is far worse than GS because of how they handle promotions and the employees. The only reason people aren't shitting on SHC is because of the amazing deals he's throwing down. With GameStop you can count on promotions applying correctly, being updated punctually, and almost never require customer service intervention. You can also count on games being in stock on time and being able to find an employee.

Now, I don't shop at either place unless I'm flipping games (and even then I haven't set foot in my Kmart), so both are equally terrible in my eyes. GS deserves the hate, but Kmart has done nothing for their reputation other than being the place for frustration and disappointment.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what kind of experience you've had with Kmart, but mine has been flawless. Never had an issue with promotions or employees...

Also, I disagree with your point on counting on GS for promotions. I specifically remember a promotion a while back that wouldn't work unless you refreshed the checkout page a million times because it was buggy. And I wouldn't say you can count on a promotion when you go in store to pick up your pre-order and they are "all out" of pre-order bonuses because you didn't get it until later during opening day. That has happened to me twice and I've read it all over these forums from other people that have had it happened to them.

Also, how can you count on Gamestop when you want to buy a "used" game from their website and you almost NEVER get the full package, yet they lead you to believe it's more than slightly possible? How can you count on Gamestop when you buy a new game and it's actually used because Gamestop employees have handled it before you?

And how can you hate on Kmart for not getting games on time when they aren't a fully legitimate game dealer yet? If you really care that much, call ahead... That's what I do and it saves me a lot of time if it isn't.

Gamestop has been around for ages and yet you see Kmart offering deals that blow Gamestop out of the water. Hell, they are giving Amazon a run for their money. You complain about Kmart not being on time with games, then go pay full price at Gamestop. I'm pretty sure they realize their shortcomings at Kmart and make up for it with awesome deals. Gamestop is well aware of their shortcomings and just continues to offer shit to their customers.

I've also never been hassled by a Kmart employee to buy this, that, and one of these. Gamestop is always pushing used game sales, pre-orders, trade-ins, warranties, blah blah blah. Kmart, ONCE, asked if I wanted the warranty on a game and he continued on to say "But I wouldn't really recommend getting it. Games don't really break."

Gamestop is FARRRRR worse than Kmart ever has been, even by your standards. I don't even know how you can make the connection between the two. It's like saying Bobby Kotick (the infamous douche bag head of Activision for those who don't know who he is) and Jesus are both saints.

[quote name='Darknuke']I don't know what kind of experience you've had with Kmart, but mine has been flawless. Never had an issue with promotions or employees...[/QUOTE]

You're extremely lucky, then. Try shopping in the K-Mart stores around here -- where if you're fortunate enough to actually find an employee to help you (usually that's the stage where I give up), they probably won't be able to find the item that you want and won't know anything about it -- and you'll understand what he's talking about. I won't even set foot in K-Mart here anymore, because 9 times out of 10, it's a complete waste of time.

That being said, GameStop is indeed full of fail for all of the reasons that you mentioned. I would be hard-pressed to say which one is actually worse, though I do think that I have to give the failure award to GameStop, since they are specifically in the business of selling games.

I was comparing specific examples for which Kmart has supposedly turned their reputation around for. Used games are not something you can compare nor do they have anything to do with it. Additionally, Kmart sells video games: I don't know how much more of an legitimate dealer you can be lol. If anything it just proves my point that Kmart has done nothing for their reputation.

Lastly, I told you I don't shop at either place other than to flip games at GS. Amazon is my one-stop shop for all gaming products and likely always will be. They deliver my games on time and when I do have to go through CS, I'm always taken care of.

[quote name='youenvy']poor gamestoptom--hes like fuck this im out-[/QUOTE]

Well, he's got two options -- either he can take all of this as feedback, learn what actual gamers think of the company that he works for, and work to do something about it (as SHC-Gamer has tried to do with K-Mart, even though he's been thwarted by the actual stores), or he can say "fuck this I'm out". I hope he'll do the former, but based on my previous GameStop experiences I expect the latter. I guess we'll see. Tom?

The sad part in all this is that I liked my local GameStop a couple years ago. The people were nice, the used prices weren't horrible, everything was fine.

I don't know what happened. Now it's like the cesspool of idiots.

[quote name='Jodou']I was comparing specific examples for which Kmart has supposedly turned their reputation around for. Used games are not something you can compare nor do they have anything to do with it. Additionally, Kmart sells video games: I don't know how much more of an legitimate dealer you can be lol. If anything it just proves my point that Kmart has done nothing for their reputation.

Lastly, I told you I don't shop at either place other than to flip games at GS. Amazon is my one-stop shop for all gaming products and likely always will be. They deliver my games on time and when I do have to go through CS, I'm always taken care of.[/QUOTE]

Lol sorry, I get a little offended when ppl defend Gamestop and their poor business practices, but I understand what you were trying to say (even I didn't write it out as such lol). I actually do about 90% of my game buying at Amazon as well. The remaining 10% goes to Kmart.

By "Legitimate" game dealer, I meant a place that has been established as a reputable game seller for a long period of time like Gamestop, Amazon, BestBuy, etc... Kmart hasn't really been known for their game sales until recently. I mean, you wouldn't call Blockbuster a legitimate game dealer (rentals don't count ;) ), but they sell some games. I guess I just put Kmart on the same level as Blockbuster and stores that only sell games as a side-note.

I guess I am lucky when it comes to Kmart employees. I'm not really sure why anyone who regulars here would need "help" when it comes to finding games. Do you mean help like in getting the cages open to get your actual copy of the game? Or help like you don't know what a game is or what to buy and you are relying on their intelligence? In that respect, I can see how Kmart employees would be useless. When I bought my Kinect, I asked if they had Sonic Free Riders and they were like "What's a sonic?" and brought out that new Wii game w/ the black wii motion plus controller bundle with it (Fling Smash?). From my experience, I'm in and out and I already know they have my item in stock and I know where it is, so I don't really have to deal with the employees much more than getting the cages opened. I don't "Browse" at Kmart. I would rather go into a Gamestop and browse (tho I don't browse period lol).

All-in-all... Amazon > All companies. Kmart is a rising star and I just hope they will get better as their deals are stellar.

Personally, I have not had any issues with my local Gamestop. The guys and gals at the Florida City, Fl Gamestop make it the only GS we go to, hands down. Never once had a gutted copy sold to us, they always work to maximize trade values, the staff is spot on with their info, and more. Not like the Homestead Gamestop, where we have to dodge literal plates of chicken wings, and sodas the customers love to leave all over the effin store..

bread's done
Back