GameStop Cataclysm Perk Pack - Discounts on gaming accessories and more

GameStopTom

CAGiversary!
GameStop is offering some discounts in support of the launch of WOW: Cataclysm in the form of the "Cataclysm Perk Pack." Here's the scoop:

• 20% off select EVGA/NVIDIA video cards
• 20% off the purchase of any LinkSys Wireless Router or Cisco Valet product
• 20% off In-Stock accessories from GameStop.com
• 20% off select SteelSeries accessories
• Save $375 instantly on the Alienware M15

Receive the Cataclysm Perk Pack loaded with special partner offers and get additional PowerUp Rewards incentives at GameStop within the first 48 hours of the launch of World of WarCraft: Cataclysm. Pick up your game starting at midnight 12.6 and start reaping the benefits of the Cataclysm Perk Pack immediately!

Here's the link for complete details:
gamestop.com/gs/landing/warcraftcataclysm/offers.aspx

Disclosure: I'm working with GameStop

Last edited by a moderator:
Why I rarely shop at Gamestop

AKA If you want my money quit sucking

1. Used games that are incomplete in store and online
, I will never buy a used game online from Gamestop.com EVER
You sell used games on there for up to 54.99 and can't guarantee they are complete.
Hell Gamefly is better then you.

2. Used games with stickers on the artwork, it's bad enough to have up to three stickers on the case, but when you put them on the paper artwork. Well your company can go to hell.

3. no pre-order deal discounts on future purchases, see Kmart, Amazon, Walmart
I have not pre-ordered a game from you EVER.

4. Everything always at full price on release day. No deals ever. Every other store beats you

Relese day - Amazon - Call Of Duty Black Ops -53.99
Gamestop $59.99

I thought you were the biggest video game dealer, how come your prices don't reflect it.

4. Telling people that if they don't pre-order they will not be able to get a game on release day.

For real if I don't pre-rder Black Ops I won't get it? The biggest game of the year. The game that they are pressing copies in Mexico like M&M candies. Hell the dam CVS drug store is selling BlackOps.

hell I had one manager tell me if I didn't pre-order HALO 2 it would be months before they got any more copies.
And don't even get me started on what they said about Modern Warfare 2 last year. I should have posted that nonsense on youtube. This might work on 10 year old kids, but don't feed me this BS.

5. Constant upselling, pre-order pushing, I can't stand it. Your nickle and diming makes me not want to go to your stores.

#17 DISCARDING USED DS PACKAGING AND MANUALS.
and no generic ds cases when you spend as much as 30 bucks on a used title...

My local stores supposedly have the discretion to get rid of DS cases and just sell the cartridge...
one manager told be he chose to go this route to make it easier on his staff...:roll:
excellent reason...:roll:...not

I'm in the camp of going from ordering weekly on gs.com to nada as soon as stupid POINTS! (whoopee) PowerUp stopped stacking... why the hell pay $15?

[quote name='donut']#17 DISCARDING USED DS PACKAGING AND MANUALS.
and no generic ds cases when you spend as much as 30 bucks on a used title...

My local stores supposedly have the discretion to get rid of DS cases and just sell the cartridge...
one manager told be he chose to go this route to make it easier on his staff...:roll:
excellent reason...:roll:...not

I'm in the camp of going from ordering weekly on gs.com to nada as soon as stupid POINTS! (whoopee) PowerUp stopped stacking... why the hell pay $15?[/QUOTE]
Dont get me started on the damn DS case thing. I had a manager basicly tell me the same thing. That it frees up a bunch of space in his store...WTF?!?!?

We used to only have one GS in the mall and it was staffed by decent guys, always friendly and on the level with people, (seems they made money with out trying) and only they increased to 3 stores did the service go to hell.. now its hard sell, push, push, and treat people like they're peasants...

This one day I was there and a guy was getting pricing on a trade in and they told him some ridiculous prices and he said, "I'm gonna just set up a cart in the mall and advertise, 'Paying Cash for games. $1more than your gamestop quote' SELL HERE!" The GS employee said, " You Can't do that We'll Sue you for loss of business"
He replied, "Screw you.. It's just business!" and left..

[quote name='Romis']This one day I was there and a guy was getting pricing on a trade in and they told him some ridiculous prices and he said, "I'm gonna just set up a cart in the mall and advertise, 'Paying Cash for games. $1more than your gamestop quote' SELL HERE!" The GS employee said, " You Can't do that We'll Sue you for loss of business"
He replied, "Screw you.. It's just business!" and left..[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Stick it to the man! and by the man, I mean sissy little boy! and by sissy little boy, I mean GameStop!

[quote name='Romis']This one day I was there and a guy was getting pricing on a trade in and they told him some ridiculous prices and he said, "I'm gonna just set up a cart in the mall and advertise, 'Paying Cash for games. $1more than your gamestop quote' SELL HERE!" The GS employee said, " You Can't do that We'll Sue you for loss of business"
He replied, "Screw you.. It's just business!" and left..[/QUOTE]
That's pretty funny.

I can live with new games being gutted, used games with no manuals, and their prices. I however cannot live with how their importance on pre-ordering games makes their employess turn into assholes.

If I cancel a pre-order, the employee turns into a prick and gets all mad at you. If you don't want to pre-order they will tell you that you won't be able to get the game the day it comes out. When they ask you if want to pre-order anything, and you say "no", they will say "you sure you don't want to pre-order (insert game here)?".

I remember one time I cancelled a pre-order and used the credit towards buying a used game. I didn't like the game so I returned it, the asshole GM of the store said under his breath "you cancelled a pre-order to return a game, great".

Start guaranteeing used games bought online will come complete, also please stop putting stickers on the actual artwork and finally get rid of the stupid "Online Price Only" on your website. Make all the prices the same. It's really annoying to look for a game find it and then find out the only way I can get it for a fair price is to order online, which I refuse to do since it isn't guaranteed complete.

[quote name='V3rtigo']How is every other retailer in the world able to figure out security issues? Why not use plastic boxes with an alarm? Why not put the checkout at the front door? Why not calculate your potential lost sales and compare that to theft losses? All I know is that I would NEVER buy a new games at gamestop as long as the games come opened.[/QUOTE]

wow way to read only what you want... like i said i hate having those gay ass plastic boxes on my games oh and yea that doesnt stop theft, and tryig to hide the games in a glass case is nice... if there was ever someone to open it when you want something not at their leisure. the gamestops around me have one maybe two boxes open so how are all the games you've attempted to buy been open? or are you just some sad paranoid individual who thinks every game has been opened and resealed just because they see you comin? i think of all the stores ive visited gamestop has the best approach for gamers, wanna flip through a booklet to see what your dealing with, gamestop lets ya do it does bestbuy? does walmart? does amazon? yes every store has their ups and downs but really? is tehre some sort of im on my period and hate gamestop coalition?

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm not really sure why anyone who regulars here would need "help" when it comes to finding games. Do you mean help like in getting the cages open to get your actual copy of the game?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. If there is no employee available to open the case and get the game out, I can't buy the game. Also, the cases are a bit of a mess, and it's not always possible to see if they actually have a particular game or not without having someone open them and look for it.

why doesn't gamestop keep just a case with the manual in the shelf for reference and keep the sealed ones behind the counter or something. So if the customer is interested in buying they just ask for the god dammed game to the employee instead of taking the fucked up "new" case to the counter to get the "new" disc.

I have to say... Just in a little defense of GS... I have a couple of GS stores here that have great management and good people working there. I often go in just to shoot the breeze with the guys. As a result, I get free codes for add on packs (Liars and Cheats a while back when they were giving out codes with purchase of RDR) and preorder codes for games that I buy at Amazon...

I don't understand why people get their panties all in a bunch about the gutting of new games. If it isn't wrapped, don't buy it. You have no one to blame but yourself if you accept that. Same as any other store. If a deal didn't go the way I wanted, I will walk the fuck out. I've done it at BB, done it at Target... and definitely done it at GS.

On a less positive note, the prices suck. It's MSRP central. Would it kill you to do some $10 or $20 bonuses for future purchases? It doesn't kill Amazon.

Not that it matters... It seems GSTom said 'fuck this... I'm out" :)

Come on now . Gamestop is doing what gamestop does best. Selling overpriced "new" games to clueless soccer moms for their precious kiddies. They also seem to cater to an element around here of backwoods rednecks with no teeth and a shared IQ of 55.

[quote name='blahtastic']The problem with Gamestop isn't so much their deals, it's their store policy of gutting new copies of games. For that reason, I will never shop at a GS retail store, ever again.

It's always the same old lecture, "Oh yeah, it's brand new!". BULL@#$% it's new! Especially with the news about how employees "rent" their "new" games out.[/QUOTE]

I agree. In Japan, I can buy a "used," game that is higher quality than Gamestop new games.

Compared to most stores, Gamestop also has fairly useless deals. Gamestop is lucky there are a bunch of mindless loyal kids who don't understand they are getting ripped off. When I can buy most of my new games for $40US, why would I shop at Gamestop?

[quote name='GameStopTom']
Any thoughts on the topic at hand - that is, Cataclysm?[/QUOTE]

I think you will find that sales on Cataclysm will be not as brisk as they were for WotLK. The OVERWHELMING response from both beta and the 4.0.1 patch (which converted everyone over to Cataclysm in regards to playstyle) is a RESOUNDING "Meh".

That, coupled with the accessibility to high level content during WotLK which enabled most anyone who really wanted to kill the Lich King to do so, will mean a lot of people will take this opportunity to jump ship.

You may want to restock Guild Wars - I'd imagine a lot of the people jumping ship will head to that game to:

a. Tide them over until the next great thing comes along -and-
b. Enable them to progress in the next big thing prior to release (GW2, imho is going to be the next big thing.)

/soapbox off

BTW, I'll add my voice to all the others - I don't even shop at GS for USED games - the prices are that bad. I generally find the same game new on Amazon for $1-5 more - it ain't worth the gas.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Would it kill you to do some $10 or $20 bonuses for future purchases? It doesn't kill Amazon.[/QUOTE]

They actually were doing this for a little while earlier this year. I'm still sitting on a couple of $10/$20 coupons from back around May that I suppose I should use, despite the bad taste that the experience that I posted about earlier left with me. They seem to have stopped more recently, though.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I have to say... Just in a little defense of GS... I have a couple of GS stores here that have great management and good people working there. I often go in just to shoot the breeze with the guys. As a result, I get free codes for add on packs (Liars and Cheats a while back when they were giving out codes with purchase of RDR) and preorder codes for games that I buy at Amazon... [/QUOTE]

;)

Well, at least now we know why we don't get our bonuses at pick up when we pre-order...which is another reason people hate Gamestop.

[quote name='arcane93']They actually were doing this for a little while earlier this year. I'm still sitting on a couple of $10/$20 coupons from back around May that I suppose I should use, despite the bad taste that the experience that I posted about earlier left with me. They seem to have stopped more recently, though.[/QUOTE]

yeah but it was bullshit that the coupons didn't stack. Pretty much everywhere else allows you to stack coupons you earn (Best Buy, Amazon, Kmart, Target, etc...). Gamestop is just greedy as hell and won't allow that. I was pissed when I ended up sitting on a few $10 coupons that I found no use for because every game I wanted, I could get for more than $10 cheaper at Amazon after their coupon deals. I ended up buying some old games I've never played and regret buying in the first place. Should've just abandoned the codes or sold them on here.

[quote name='Number83'];)

Well, at least now we know why we don't get our bonuses at pick up when we pre-order...which is another reason people hate Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

haha so true... It all makes so much sense now!

[quote name='Number83'];)

Well, at least now we know why we don't get our bonuses at pick up when we pre-order...which is another reason people hate Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
Nah, everything prints on the receipt now, which is actually for the best since no store can ever run out individually and people will always get their code since there's no margin for human error at the register. They don't run out until the database is exhausted, so you can even get pre-order bonuses months after release if they had a ton. I actually prefer this method since, uh, I happen to buy a few 'gifts' at GS now. ;)

[quote name='Jodou'] I actually prefer this method since, uh, I happen to buy a few 'gifts' at GS now. ;)[/QUOTE]

Traitor! :lol:

I haven't shopped at gamestop since the time I pre-ordered two copies of Battlefield2, and the employee said I could only have one because they didn't get enough in their shipment. After the manager said the same thing, I asked to talk to corperate to get them to give me somone else's preorder... then magically they found a copy "in the back". This was on release day.

[quote name='GameStopTom']

• 20% off select EVGA/NVIDIA video cards
• 20% off the purchase of any LinkSys Wireless Router or Cisco Valet product

[/QUOTE]

My first thought was gamestop sells video cards?! Upon checking their website and checking on their evga geforce gtx 460, it's actually pretty competitive with newegg. But still, come on, who's going to buy hardware from gamestop. :whistle2:k

[quote name='bludd']My first thought was gamestop sells video cards?! Upon checking their website and checking on their evga geforce gtx 460, it's actually pretty competitive with newegg. But still, come on, who's going to buy hardware from gamestop. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

It's probably gutted video cards too. They let their employees use them for a while and then repackage them as a "new" product with the little sticker they use to blatantly re-seal things.

I feel bad for Tom too, but yeah, it'll take a lot more to redeem Gamestop than it did for KMart. KMart was just straight ghetto and you wouldn't think to buy games there. SHC got in corporate's heads that deals will draw gamers, took our feedback about which KMarts sucked (and maybe fixed them?), etc.

I hate Gamestop for all the reasons covered already. I
miss EB Games SO MUCH. When I walk into a Gamestop now, I encounter:
1) a girl who doesn't know anything about games
2) a snarky know-it-all who actually doesn't and lies all the time
3) groupies of 1 and/or 2

Yea Tom, please let the powers-that-be know that their current "deals" and "bonuses" are pretty stagnant. This one is a joke with BB giving $10 in reward points with Cataclysm. :hot:

[quote name='Jodou']Nah, everything prints on the receipt now, which is actually for the best since no store can ever run out individually and people will always get their code since there's no margin for human error at the register. They don't run out until the database is exhausted, so you can even get pre-order bonuses months after release if they had a ton. I actually prefer this method since, uh, I happen to buy a few 'gifts' at GS now. ;)[/QUOTE]

The other GS that I like is the ONLY one in my area that has no broadband... As such, they get boxes and boxes of preorder codes on nice, pretty cards... I swear, they could use them as wallpaper. As such, they are always happy to hand a few to me when I come in.

But I do nice things like take a box of doughnuts to the store that doing the all night inventory, occasionally. Just saying... Sugar catches more flies than vinegar.

Back when they were doing the B2G1 and had the list of $20 games that traded in that made a free game or an instantly profitable flip possible, I didn't even take the games out of the store in some cases. I flipped some on the same receipt :)

[quote name='shikuhari']Yea Tom, please let the powers-that-be know that their current "deals" and "bonuses" are pretty stagnant. This one is a joke with BB giving $10 in reward points with Cataclysm. :hot:[/QUOTE]
So is Amazon.

Haha, I love how the "gutted" discussions always come up in any Gamestop thread . . . everyone hates that practice, but Gamestop still does it, and the "associates" still push that lame old argument about the game still being new ("its never been played!"), even though they gutted it and put fingerprints/dings all over the case and manual. :booty:

gamestop isn't competitive with their prices so this is pretty much the worst place they could post anything since price is everything here.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I don't understand why people get their panties all in a bunch about the gutting of new games.[/QUOTE]

Probably because since Gamestop either bought up the competition or drove them out of business in most cases, for many people they're the only game in town for getting a lot of games. If you want something that the big box retailers like Target or Best Buy don't carry, and you don't want to order online (i.e. you want instant gratification, and/or you want to be able to browse shelves), Gamestop is pretty much the only option. So it's kind of a kick in the balls when they're not even an option if you want your games new and unopened.

Personally, I wouldn't even care so much about them gutting the games, except that far too often when I look at the disc from a gutted "new" game in the store, it's all scratched up because the idiots they have working there don't even bother to handle it properly. Plastic wrap doesn't mean that much to me, but when I buy a "new" game, I expect it to be in "new" condition.

[quote name='arcane93']Probably because since Gamestop either bought up the competition or drove them out of business in most cases, for many people they're the only game in town for getting a lot of games. If you want something that the big box retailers like Target or Best Buy don't carry, and you don't want to order online (i.e. you want instant gratification, and/or you want to be able to browse shelves), Gamestop is pretty much the only option. So it's kind of a kick in the balls when they're not even an option if you want your games new and unopened.
[/QUOTE]

Gamestop doesn't buy up the competition or drive them out of business. They never ever reduce prices or have sales in their stores so how could they? They purely rely on dumb parents and kids who don't know anything better than Gamestop and that is a LOOTTTTT of people. Hell, I used to be one of those dumb kids who only shopped at Gamestop because I didn't consider anything else a viable game store. I drove past Target to get to Gamestop... That's what the expect from their customers.

It's their incredible reputation that runs them, not their aggressive business tactics (because they have none. They are no Walmart).

Also, Best Buy and Target both have great selections of video games and usually (especially BB) have them in stock. They don't carry tons of used games like GS, but we are talking about new games anyway.

Basically what I'm saying is I can find 5 stores within a reasonable distance that carry the game you claim only Gamestop has. Toys R Us, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and Kmart. If you have a Gamestop and not any one of those near you, I'd be extremely surprised.

[quote name='Darknuke']Gamestop doesn't buy up the competition or drive them out of business. [/QUOTE]

Um, I guess you've never heard of a little chain called Electronics Boutique, then, have you?

[quote name='Darknuke']Basically what I'm saying is I can find 5 stores within a reasonable distance that carry the game you claim only Gamestop has. Toys R Us, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and Kmart. If you have a Gamestop and not any one of those near you, I'd be extremely surprised.[/QUOTE]

If you're only playing Halo or Madden, sure. Some of us have more diverse (and obscure) taste than that. I certainly never saw Persona 3 Portable or Arc Rise Fantasia in any of those stores, just to give recent examples.

GameStop did buy up most of their competition. The two big examples are EBGames and Rhino Video Games (FL-based). GameStop bought EB in October 2005 and Rhino was bought in January 2007. Those stores were the bigger competitors to GS in my area.

Where I live, we have a GameStop, KMart, and Walmart for video games. There are absolutely 0 independent game stores here. It's 40 minutes to the closest Toys R Us or Best Buy, and almost an hour to Target.

Hmm Ol Tom is now on vacation til hell freezes over:cold:

And what happened to the huge banner ads for Gamestop on the top of all cag pages? I never paid attention to them but now that they are gone it is distracting.

[quote name='arcane93']Um, I guess you've never heard of a little chain called Electronics Boutique, then, have you?

If you're only playing Halo or Madden, sure. Some of us have more diverse (and obscure) taste than that. I certainly never saw Persona 3 Portable or Arc Rise Fantasia in any of those stores, just to give recent examples.[/QUOTE]

Lol well thank you for implying my gaming taste is basic. Just to let you know, I have a collection of over 200 rare games among various systems (including the original Persona and Persona 2, complete, on PS1), so I do know all about playing diverse and obscure games.

Sure, some of those obscure games are uncommon at my listed stores, but I know the BB near me carried both of those games and a number of other random games and if you go to a super Walmart, I can bet they would have them. If you are a browser of obscure games, do you really need to just that, browse? People that play those kinds of games typically know about them beforehand. And you could always just browse at Gamestop and buy it online. It's not like Gamestop is making you buy games from them (tho they will strongly encourage it lol). Plus, you'd probably get a better deal doing it that way anyway.

And yes, I've heard of Electronics Boutique, but seriously? That was like 5 years ago and was the one and only instance of Gamestop buying out their competition. You were making it sound like Gamestop shuts down Mom and Pop video game shops, which they don't. That's Walmart's job.

[quote name='Altanis']GameStop did buy up most of their competition. The two big examples are EBGames and Rhino Video Games (FL-based). GameStop bought EB in October 2005 and Rhino was bought in January 2007. Those stores were the bigger competitors to GS in my area.

Where I live, we have a GameStop, KMart, and Walmart for video games. There are absolutely 0 independent game stores here. It's 40 minutes to the closest Toys R Us or Best Buy, and almost an hour to Target.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Well I live in Seattle and Gamestop never purchased any stores that I know of(other than EB) and there are like 3 or 4 indie game stores within a half hour of where I live. Yeah sure, people who live in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere won't have as many options, but that's what Amazon is for... If Gamestop is literally your only choice, then that's not a fair example anyway because someone elsewhere could have Target as their only choice (or some place like that) and make an argument that Target sucks because of this or that.

I was just using the two examples I know of of GS buying out their competition. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they bought out more.

And who cares WHEN they bought someone out? You claimed they didn't buy out anyone, we showed they did. Nowhere in there did we say they've done it recently (although I would still call 5 years ago pretty recent since the EBGames name is still used, unlike the Rhino name).

Oh, and I don't live in "bum-fuck-nowhere" like you're trying to claim. Small town, maybe. I dunno. What's 50,000 people get classified as nowadays?

Gamestop has purchased a LARGE number of chains, regardless of if they are in your market or not.

They bought EB Games, Rhino, I miss that place, I had one right in front of my house (like 4-5 blocks away) and I even found Tales of Eternia for PSP there (they imported it). They also bought Funcoland and Software Etc.

Those are the only other pure game store chains that I am aware of besides Play N Trade which still exists and is way better than GameStop in my area in terms of prices and customer service. So yes GameStop has shut down every other viable pure video game store besides a handful (if that) and some rare mom and pop ones in certain areas.

[quote name='Darknuke']
Ok. Well I live in Seattle and Gamestop never purchased any stores that I know of(other than EB) and there are like 3 or 4 indie game stores within a half hour of where I live. Yeah sure, people who live in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere won't have as many options, but that's what Amazon is for... If Gamestop is literally your only choice, then that's not a fair example anyway because someone elsewhere could have Target as their only choice (or some place like that) and make an argument that Target sucks because of this or that.[/QUOTE]

too bad it aint the 90's you could start a anti gamestop grunge band called "pre-ordered" :bouncy:

as for all the arguments, 50+% of my games i get from gamestop. i have bought one new game from them only when i got a coupon and it was on sale (borderlands) everything else i get used. i shop b2g1 and i check for price drops to use with cag16/edgge (although i apparently wont be doing that anymore). Gamestop works well for easy to find bulk purchases of old games, so thats all i get from them.

they offer their pre orders online, if you want a closed box have it delivered to your house, don't pick it up in store. if you got to have it day one then gamestop is clearly not your best choice for closed mint games.

[quote name='Darknuke']Lol well thank you for implying my gaming taste is basic. Just to let you know, I have a collection of over 200 rare games among various systems (including the original Persona and Persona 2, complete, on PS1), so I do know all about playing diverse and obscure games.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to imply anything about your game tastes, I was just saying that claiming that I could get any game that I want in Walmart is being willfully naive. Clearly my statement was hyperbole, and I'm hoping that yours was too.

[quote name='Darknuke']Sure, some of those obscure games are uncommon at my listed stores, but I know the BB near me carried both of those games and a number of other random games and if you go to a super Walmart, I can bet they would have them.[/QUOTE]

Hm. I live in a major metropolitan area, and I never saw either of those in BB and certainly not in Walmart. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just not likely.

[quote name='Darknuke']If you are a browser of obscure games, do you really need to just that, browse? People that play those kinds of games typically know about them beforehand. And you could always just browse at Gamestop and buy it online.[/QUOTE]

You've never said "hey, I'd like a new game today, I'll go see what I can find"? I'm not necessarily talking about immediate new releases (though I realize that I did set myself up like that by giving recent examples). There's lots of back catalog stuff that I don't have yet as well, and even more so than for new stuff, those other retailers don't carry a lot of back catalog. Gamestop is the only (local) place to get it.

[quote name='Darknuke']It's not like Gamestop is making you buy games from them (tho they will strongly encourage it lol). Plus, you'd probably get a better deal doing it that way anyway.[/QUOTE]

This discussion is not about the merits of buying online, it's about the merits of having a decent local option.

[quote name='Darknuke']And yes, I've heard of Electronics Boutique, but seriously? That was like 5 years ago and was the one and only instance of Gamestop buying out their competition. You were making it sound like Gamestop shuts down Mom and Pop video game shops, which they don't. That's Walmart's job.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. It's not just a matter of swooping in and buying them out, or of undercutting them to the point they can't compete. Gamestop uses the exact same tactic for video games that Starbucks uses for coffee -- they put a store on practically every corner (hyperbole alert), so that you, as a game buying customer, are never out of sight of a Gamestop store. There are 13 Gamestop stores within 12 miles of me! So when it comes time to buy a game, most people don't even think to go out of their way to go to the mom and pop stores (or the other chains that don't have the ability to open so many stores), and just go to the closest Gamestop instead. That's the way that Gamestop outsold (and eventually wiped out) Game Crazy, and from the looks of it locally, anyway, Play N Trade isn't far behind (the one Play N Trade store that was actually near me closed last year). These stores are going out of business while Gamestop is reporting record profits, and it's certainly not because of Gamestop's oustanding service or amazing prices.

All arguments about how people can go online and buy from Amazon or whatever instead aside, the original statement which I was replying to was about why people get upset about gutting. It is my argument that it's such an emotional issue for people because, for many of them (I wasn't even necessarily referring to myself; there are at least a few other options here, though none are nearly as convenient to get to), Gamestop is their primary local source for games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Hm. I live in a major metropolitan area, and I never saw either of those in BB and certainly not in Walmart. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just not likely.[/QUOTE]

I live in Seattle, WA. You're probably right. It's not probable, but it does happen. And for the vast majority of people (who do buy Halo and Madden), Gamestop isn't the only viable option. For people like us who like obscure games and need a B&M store, Gamestop may be the best option if there are no indie shops around.

You've never said "hey, I'd like a new game today, I'll go see what I can find"? I'm not necessarily talking about immediate new releases (though I realize that I did set myself up like that by giving recent examples). There's lots of back catalog stuff that I don't have yet as well, and even more so than for new stuff, those other retailers don't carry a lot of back catalog. Gamestop is the only (local) place to get it.

True. My Best Buy carries a backlog of around 5-6 months tops (oldest games are major hits). Definitely not superior to Gamestop, so you have me there.

This discussion is not about the merits of buying online, it's about the merits of having a decent local option.

Decent would be Best Buy, Target, TRU, etc... Gamestop, to me, purely for selection, is above decent, if not the best (only to be topped by some indie stores). I, personally, feel like most people aren't buying super old games, so any store that sells games is acceptable.

Yes they do. It's not just a matter of swooping in and buying them out, or of undercutting them to the point they can't compete. Gamestop uses the exact same tactic for video games that Starbucks uses for coffee -- they put a store on practically every corner (hyperbole alert), so that you, as a game buying customer, are never out of sight of a Gamestop store. There are 13 Gamestop stores within 12 miles of me! So when it comes time to buy a game, most people don't even think to go out of their way to go to the mom and pop stores (or the other chains that don't have the ability to open so many stores), and just go to the closest Gamestop instead. That's the way that Gamestop outsold (and eventually wiped out) Game Crazy, and from the looks of it locally, anyway, Play N Trade isn't far behind (the one Play N Trade store that was actually near me closed last year). These stores are going out of business while Gamestop is reporting record profits, and it's certainly not because of Gamestop's oustanding service or amazing prices.

Well I also tend to think that an indie game store is tough because the profit margins are very low when you're a single store. You need to buy games in MAD bulk to get a good enough discount to make game sales worthwhile and for an indie store, that can be really tough when they only buy like 10 copies of a game. Yes Gamestop is exactly like Starbucks in that respect and that is exactly why they do so well, but you still see tiny little coffee shops everywhere that survive just fine. And these companies that get bought out by Gamestop don't have to sell out. It's not like they are in bankruptcy (at least was the case for EB Games and Funcoland). They get offered great deals and take them. It's not like Walmart, who goes into a small town, completely obliterates the market because of their prices, and wipes out the small shops by force.

All arguments about how people can go online and buy from Amazon or whatever instead aside, the original statement which I was replying to was about why people get upset about gutting. It is my argument that it's such an emotional issue for people because, for many of them (I wasn't even necessarily referring to myself; there are at least a few other options here, though none are nearly as convenient to get to), Gamestop is their primary local source for games.

lol i get sidetracked sometimes...

And to note the guy who doesn't live in bum-fuck nowhere ;). If you live in a town with 50k people and you only have a Gamestop accessible for games, I'd be extremely surprised. Where there's a gamestop, there is "usually" some sort of competitor (Target, BB, TRU, Sears, Kmart, etc...)

this is the same thing as that crappy thing from SC2 launch that didnt work on the video cards as there site was just BS meh

[quote name='Danro']sooooooooo...........

what are the additional powerup rewards incentives if you dont mind me asking?[/QUOTE]

Probably the same as the Starcraft 2 rewards incentive which was access to a website where overpriced items were slightly discounted, giving the perception that the purchaser was getting a good deal.

It was later revealed that anyone could access this site.

[quote name='freeorelse']Hmm Ol Tom is now on vacation til hell freezes over:cold:[/QUOTE]

I'm still here. Just quietly observing and gathering feedback.

[quote name='Bertyo']It's not like this stuff isn't true, there's not much he could say.[/QUOTE]
I know, but even just saying something to defend their practice of gutting games, or selling used games with permanent marker all over the disc, etc would be a sign that he's actually listening and gathering feedback.

I don't think he is going to be doing anything a la SHC-Gamer and actually try to change the company's image. I only shop at GameStop when I have an e-rewards GC or on the very rare occasion that something is a decent deal.

bread's done
Back