GameStop Cataclysm Perk Pack - Discounts on gaming accessories and more

GameStopTom

CAGiversary!
GameStop is offering some discounts in support of the launch of WOW: Cataclysm in the form of the "Cataclysm Perk Pack." Here's the scoop:

• 20% off select EVGA/NVIDIA video cards
• 20% off the purchase of any LinkSys Wireless Router or Cisco Valet product
• 20% off In-Stock accessories from GameStop.com
• 20% off select SteelSeries accessories
• Save $375 instantly on the Alienware M15

Receive the Cataclysm Perk Pack loaded with special partner offers and get additional PowerUp Rewards incentives at GameStop within the first 48 hours of the launch of World of WarCraft: Cataclysm. Pick up your game starting at midnight 12.6 and start reaping the benefits of the Cataclysm Perk Pack immediately!

Here's the link for complete details:
gamestop.com/gs/landing/warcraftcataclysm/offers.aspx

Disclosure: I'm working with GameStop

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Altanis']Riiight. Quietly observing. You don't defend the company that employs you. That says a lot.[/QUOTE]

The fact that he posted to say that he's quietly observing indicates that he is, most likely, indeed quietly observing. The reason he's not defending the company is that most of the things people are complaining about are simply indefensible. I hope that Tom is letting the higher-ups know of our overwhelming dissatisfaction with GameStop, and if we're lucky we might see some improvements. I'm not holding my breath, though.

I'd like to add more to the feedback. I can't redeem a 4 motherfucking thousand powerup points for a $5.00 off coupon, because they are "sold out". Tell me this Tom, how can you guys be sold out of an online coupon?

[quote name='ducci101']I'd like to add more to the feedback. I can't redeem a 4 motherfucking thousand powerup points for a $5.00 off coupon, because they are "sold out". Tell me this Tom, how can you guys be sold out of an online coupon?[/QUOTE]
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think I'm dying.

[quote name='ducci101']I'd like to add more to the feedback. I can't redeem a 4 motherfucking thousand powerup points for a $5.00 off coupon, because they are "sold out". Tell me this Tom, how can you guys be sold out of an online coupon?[/QUOTE]
Holy shit, someone should put that in their sig lol.

I don't really care to bash on GS because I've personally never been wronged by them (Other than them not having pre-order bonus items when I pick up on release day, not a big deal.)

However, with other retailers offering pre-order bonuses and cash back incentives like $20 or $25 gift cards for buying a new release, Gamestop has fallen flat in response. There is no real benefit from buying at Gamestop from my point of view. Even the reward program GS has is irrelavant considering Best Buy has the Reward Zone w/ Gamer Zone membership and its worked great for years.

I'm sure GSTom got more than he bargained for here but I would like to give my opinion. I don't mind GS as a store and if I am picking up a new game with cash then I have no problem going to GS. But, its hard to make that choice when my Amazon and Best Buy credits keep adding up like they do.

Theres not much I can say that hasn't all ready been said and that I COMPLETELY agree with...except that
I went in to Gamestop the other day just to check stuff out and I felt sick...I actually wanted to quit gaming altogether and I've spent countless hours of time in Gamestop before. It just frustrates me to think about Gamestop at this point...

Well I'm going to put some faith in gamestop tom, i will give feed back and then leave it for him. (because if all of us just vent for 100 pages nothing will come of it).

I don't like the new policy with powerup not stacking, i don't purchase games inless there is a sale or promotion; so, if the new policy sticks the card is useless to me, i will not renew, and i will shop there less.

I would like a bit more assurance of the quality of used games (package, booklet) for games only a month or so old (i understand that older games would have this problem so i'm fine if its a game say under $25). But Since i usually don't have trouble trading in if they are too bad this isn't a big issue for me.

If gamestop want's my business on any new titles i would have to see deals that are competitive ($5 off a game, or free shipping are not competitive) with deals that are offered elsewhere ($15 coupon, discount on other game, ext ), and would pay more attention if you occasionally threw in a above average one ($25 coupon, see k-mart thread as there is a reason it got a sticky). These deals can be made smartly with some thinking ($25 coupon with enslaved [k mart] is a good example as MSRP droped to $40 after only a month)

and one that annoys me the most would be Match online prices in stores.... their your prices.... hell bestbuy will match your prices.... why won't you (there is a bestbuy 30 feet from my gamestop and i have walked into gamestop only to walk 30 feet to pricematch at bestbuy).

I'm posting this here hoping you send this feedback through, though i would appreciate it if you would set up a new thread specifically for feedback (and if you do i would highly suggest requesting anti venting in the OP).

Tom-

Assuming you are high on the GS food chain and can make some changes, let me give you my 5 cents.

I despise Best Buy. I hate them. It stems from an incident about 8 years ago where it took them FOUR hours to return (on paper, mind you - I had not taken delivery yet) a projection TV in order to purchase a slightly larger TV *FROM THEM*. It was the most painful customer service experience I have ever had.

I *still* find myself buying games THERE.

GAMESTOP is *the* game store. Other than release week bargains, these other chains should not beat you, IMO. You should deal in volume sales, because GS sure as hell doesn't give me any other reason to choose them over anywhere else.

Used game sales? Why in the hell would I buy a used copy of Uncharted 1 at GS for $24.99 when I can get it new at Wal-Mart for $26.96? It's not worth the flipping headache - is the disc scratched? Does it have a manual? Not gonna risk it for a 5% savings. (*edit* prices were from when I was in the market for UC1 about a year ago - finally purchased new from Amazon for $22 -free shipping.)

PC games? 7-11 has a similar selection - they sell Slurpees and hot dogs too - you don't. (Seriously - either do PC games or don't, but don't do it half-assed like you are now.)

Space management - GS is either in closet-sized mall stores, or in voluminous strip mall spaces from my experience. In both cases, the walls are utilized, but shelves are not. You have this "let's put it here" air about your stores, that is probably designed to help with theft deterrence, but grossly under-utilizes the amount of space you have.

Redbox is renting games in test sites all over. You need to fix your business model, or enter discussions with them to buy your brand name. Right now, you smell like Blockbuster.

CTD, (Circling the Drain)

[quote name='Danro']sooooooooo...........

what are the additional powerup rewards incentives if you dont mind me asking?[/QUOTE]

Got an answer for you: you'll get 50% more points when you pre-order and pick up your copy of WOW: Cataclysm within 48 hours of the 12/7 release date.

I don't think Gamestop needs us (the educated consumer) to be successful, unlike the other market analysts in this thread, but it would be nice if they threw us a bone every once in a while.

One suggestion, is to stop acting like the value adds do anything for those of us in this demographic. I think most of us could care less if we get an extra character in Multi-player (AC:B), some stupid Avatar Hat (Halo:Reach), I'd rather just get the $20.00 off my next purchase.

The coupons above aren't bad -- but again, it's not a discount on the product itself. If I needed any of these items I could probably find cheaper. Alienware -- overpriced? Not really the correct vibe for the crowd here.

If you want to cater to us do this: give us a deal on the niche games. Maybe you won't stop with the crap deals on popular mainstream games like Wow:Cata, or BLOPS, or the utter ridiculousness that are your used prices, but maybe doing a coupon off of niche releases like Catherine, 999 or other stuff that you won't be able to get on discount anywhere else. That might get me to start shopping at Gamestop again.

I have a more timely complaint. Look at today's Cyber Monday fiasco. GS started with a great deal on Borderlands GOTY. Then they started the deal 2 hours late and sold out before most of us got out of bed. By contrast, Amazon matched your price and sold it at $30 ALL DAY LONG. They didn;t give some trash about being sold out. they just sold them at $30 ALL DAY LONG. In other words, they matched your price and then continued to sell it at YOUR price LONG AFTER you were "Sold Out". Guess where I bought my copy?

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I have a more timely complaint. Look at today's Cyber Monday fiasco. GS started with a great deal on Borderlands GOTY. Then they started the deal 2 hours late and sold out before most of us got out of bed. By contrast, Amazon matched your price and sold it at $30 ALL DAY LONG. They didn;t give some trash about being sold out. they just sold them at $30 ALL DAY LONG. In other words, they matched your price and then continued to sell it at YOUR price LONG AFTER you were "Sold Out". Guess where I bought my copy?[/QUOTE]

lol i didn't even bother checking GS Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals. Amazon + Best Buy has it covered for me for online and B&M stores.

I'm glad to see GSTom didn't peace out tho. I really, truly, honestly hope he can make a difference like SHC-Gamer did for Kmart. With that said, I have more faith in winning the lottery, and I don't even buy lottery tickets.

I don't know what Gamestop you guys been too, but my local one has some pretty cool dudes. (+1girl)

Seriously though what do you guys want out of Gamestop. The price is online, you can track if its in stock, and you show up and get what is advertised. You know the display case was gutted, just say no and walk out if it bugs you that bad.

If you know you are getting an unsealed copy, did you ever consider saying, "hey don't sticker that"?

[quote name='GameStopTom']Got an answer for you: you'll get 50% more points when you pre-order and pick up your copy of WOW: Cataclysm within 48 hours of the 12/7 release date.[/QUOTE]

So you essentially get 60 cents in rewards towards a new release purchase. I hate to be that guy but that is very lame considering KMart is giving a $15 gaming credit and Amazon is giving a $10 credit and no sales tax (for most).

[quote name='Darknuke']

I'm glad to see GSTom didn't peace out tho..[/QUOTE]
But it did take him 13 days to respond to the question from Danro. I mean Geez not like he's monitoring the Kmart thread;)

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm glad to see GSTom didn't peace out tho. I really, truly, honestly hope he can make a difference like SHC-Gamer did for Kmart. With that said, I have more faith in winning the lottery, and I don't even buy lottery tickets.[/QUOTE]

Difference being that SHC-Gamer is the freaking manager of the video game section for Sears holding company. I don't know what Tom is, but I'd be very surprised if he were anything above a store manager. Those people don't make changes that can affect an entire organization.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Difference being that SHC-Gamer is the freaking manager of the video game section for Sears holding company. I don't know what Tom is, but I'd be very surprised if he were anything above a store manager. Those people don't make changes that can affect an entire organization.[/QUOTE]

You really think a store manager would sit here and watch this thread, taking notes and such on stuff he probably knows he can't change? Hell, I don't even think a store manager would come on here and post a deal. I think GSTom is corporate, but you might be right that he may not have enough power even at their corporate office(s).

I went to pick up MW2 at midnight at the store I preordered it at, I asked when I preordered whether I needed to bring my receipt at pick up. The mongloid who had trouble working the computer and took my preorder (after 30 minutes) told me "No". My copy was paid off according to my receipt and according to GS mongloid. This was a few days before release. Only a few.

I show up at midnight, decent size line so I wait, I get inside, give the emo kid manager my ID, he tells me it'll be $36 and some change. I'm like uhhhhhhhhhh this guy (I point to mongloid) took my preorder a few days ago and said I paid it off, I owe 0 there's a mistake.

Emo kid starts getting an attitude and asks for my receipt. I then tell him mongloid told me I didn't need my receipt to pick up. He says there's nothing he can do he needs a receipt. Infuriated, I drive back, get the dumbass receipt, they had closed up by the time I got back but I banged on the door. I slam the receipt on the counter and he starts doing shit on the computer, he gets an attitude again and says there was a mistake then gives me the game telling me it wasn't paid off but I can have the game anyway like he's doing me a fucking favor. Never bought shit from GS since.

Figured I'd throw my story in.

The day Game-stop started printing pre-order info (codes and dlcs) on the receipt paper, was the day I became a fan of the buy, iphone pic the receipt and return method! I do end up paying for two copies of the game, but I always return my Game-stop one in about 5 mins after leaving the store. ^^ thanks for the free pre-order swag and codes!

[quote name='GameStopTom']Got an answer for you: you'll get 50% more points when you pre-order and pick up your copy of WOW: Cataclysm within 48 hours of the 12/7 release date.[/QUOTE]
Wow, sounds sooo special. :rolleyes:

It's like GameStop doesn't even try. Your competitors are doing $10+ deals and all GameStop can combat that with is some pile of crap deal worth maybe a buck.

bread's done
Back