Gamestop.com BANNED me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen1s

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I've had several orders through Gamestop.com get cancelled in a row, so I called up. The genius on the other side of the line said I should check to see if it's not just my name and address that's messed up...or maybe I should use a different email address. I was about ready to let him go and try again, but I knew better.

I told him I use this card at a variety of online retailers and that I needed to talk to someone who knows what really happened. On comes the supervisor.

At least this guy knows what happened. According to him, they hire a third-party company to monitor the online activities of cards from various retailers around the internet. This third party has flagged me, my address, and my card, and thus every order I attempt at Gamestop.com is being rejected.

Can I get this fixed? No
Can he tell me why I'm flagged? No
Can I ever order from Gamestop.com again? No
May I have the contact information for this third-party company? No
May I have the name of this third-party company? No
How do I get in touch with this company to resolve this? You can't

I have never filed a chargeback on any card, I have only had one credit card number "compromised", and in that case it was one of those deals where a person had access to a list of a million names and my bank cancelled the card immediately as a safety precaution. I've never even bought anything that could cause concern. My card is a regular Boy Scout.

Has this happened to anybody else? I'm less concerned about never guying from GS again than I am about whoever this company is that has flagged me (who else can I not buy from?), and yes, I'm angry that Gamestop is being such a child about this.

What have you bought from GameStop in the past and in what quantities. Many people have been banned from GS, because they were identified as "retailers." If you have bought a large quantity of the same items, that could be why you were flagged and then banned.

It was either a mix-up or you purchase history looks shady. If you can still your use card other places I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know it's inconvenient but if you have to order from GS.com just use another card.

Sue them. Gamestop sucks. Make some money off of their arrogance.

I've never been banned from buying, but I was black flagged at Wal-Mart, Target, and Toy-R-Us a couple of years ago. Doing the ebay thing, I would buy and return lots of inventory. Sucked. But I don't think anyone has the right to deny you business, regardless of their policies.

[quote name='tayaf69']Sue them. Gamestop sucks. Make some money off of their arrogance.

I've never been banned from buying, but I was black flagged at Wal-Mart, Target, and Toy-R-Us a couple of years ago. Doing the ebay thing, I would buy and return lots of inventory. Sucked. But I don't think anyone has the right to deny you business, regardless of their policies.[/QUOTE]

You can not sure them for that. They can deny you business anytime they want. A store always has the right to refuse service. If you are doing what you did and "returning lots of inventory" and "doing the ebay thing" they should ban you.

[quote name='rodeojones903']You can not sure them for that. They can deny you business anytime they want. A store always has the right to refuse service. If you are doing what you did and "returning lots of inventory" and "doing the ebay thing" they should ban you.[/quote]

As the other poster said, a business has the right to deny you business for basically any reason, short of reasons based on race, gender, or religion. A business is a private entity. They can deal with whomever they want to.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As the other poster said, a business has the right to deny you business for basically any reason, short of reasons based on race, gender, or religion. A business is a private entity. They can deal with whomever they want to.[/quote]

Did you purchase large quantities of wii sports, that seems to bring up a red flag in gs' eyes

I was doing the buy/return thing with Kmart alot a year or so ago. Mainly, I was buying cheap games from further away Kmarts and moving them to my local Kmarts, so I could simply go down the road SHOULD I or someone on here perhaps need or want one of them cheap.

I ended up returning all of the games to the closer store(s) to me, most of which were bought by someone, but there's a few which are now coming up 'check shelf label' which I should've gone back to get.

Either way, I hope the OP finds a way around this banning, since I think it's bs that they can make some arbitrary decision like that to ban a potential customer, just because they may fall into some range that deems them a reseller or whatever. But, I guess it's ok if Gamestop can charge $50-60 for rarer games, but heaven help an ordinary person wanting to buy more than one or two of an item at their normal markup.

Welcome to the club! I got flagged awhile back.

Now if I want to order anything, new account and temporary virtual Mastercard from Paypal FTW

GS seems to like to block the "Resellers" Tti's almost like a monopoly, the keep the competition from getting inventory, when they were selling Max payne 2 for $1.50 I went to one store an dbought all they had and put them on ebay in 1 day auctions and made a nice profit, I went to the other stores in town a faew days later, when i asked about Max Payne 2 I found that basicly THEY to pull them all and reprice due to renewed intrest in the title....lol.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Same company, since their merger.[/quote]

lol same company, that stinks. Chosen1s companies don't ban you for no apparent reason. I'm guessing you've done something else your not telling us.

Me? I haven't been banned, though the local DM for GS wanted to ban me for going far and wide to all of the stores in his district for a while and grabbing guides once they pennied. Long story short, I ran into him at the one store and had emailed him about being denied on ONE guide, then proceeded to point out a TON of guides the workers at the store had missed. He had a fit n threatened to ban me.

Good times, gooooood times.

Do you live in the US? I remember someone posting something about their orders kept getting cancelled and it was because they were ordering from a country GameStop didn't ship to.

Yes,

I have bought in mulitple quantities in the past. Not absurd, but I'd expect most of us here have bought a few extras to flip from time to time. Don't go trying to blame me for being the guy who fills his cart with 99 Marvel Vs. Capcom 2's though, those people are crazy. Still, it's fine if that's the REAL reason (though I'm not sure why it even matters now because they won't let you buy more than 1 of "rare" titles anymore anyway), but why would they tell me it's a problem with my card and my purchase history at other retailers? Or for that matter, why wouldn't they just tell me upfront what their problem is?

My bigger concern is this "third party company" who supposedly represents multiple online retialers. According to the GS guy, they have my name and address flagged as well. Where else am I banned from, and why? For buying too much stuff? I wish I owned a business with those kinds of problems...Don't I have a right to know who is telling retailers that I am some sort of credit risk to them?

Whoever mentioned this temporary Mastercard/Paypal thing, what is that all about? I may have to resort to that some day since there is an unknown third party out there "warning" retailers that I might try to purchase something from their store...

Also, anybody who works for GS/EB, is this "third party company" real, or are they just making that up because for some reason they are too cowardly to just tell me they don't want my business?

---------------

Edit: To address a couple of other questions:

1) Yes, I live in the US
2) I have not done anything shady, illegal, or otherwise unmentioned above.
3) GS hasn't clarified if I am "banned" or whatever. If they did ban me themselves, they are the biggest cowards I have ever met hiding behind a made-up company and making false accusations against me rather than just giving it to me straight.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As the other poster said, a business has the right to deny you business for basically any reason, short of reasons based on race, gender, or religion. A business is a private entity. They can deal with whomever they want to.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this by the way. However, they have stated that their problem is that some unnamed third party has flagged me, my address, and my credit card as problematic and are refusing to tell me why or give me any information as to how to contact this third party.

If you install the Paypal plug-in for your browser, it will generate 1-time-use Mastercard numbers that you can use to shop online with funds in your PP account.

[quote name='chosen1s']
I have bought in mulitple quantities in the past.
...[/QUOTE]

That's the reason I'd think. While I'm not sure exactly what the details are, they basically don't like resellers anymore and it only takes a multiple copies of a few games for them to ban you. I've seen a few people say they're banned from GS.com now.

But it was a third party flag, which I don't understand.

Did you try taking it up with your credit card company, you might want to check with them just in case something is wrong with your card. If someone was telling me this I would be in a panic and would probably cut up my card and just get another card! I am a worrywart though.

[quote name='chosen1s']I totally agree with this by the way. However, they have stated that their problem is that some unnamed third party has flagged me, my address, and my credit card as problematic and are refusing to tell me why or give me any information as to how to contact this third party.[/quote]

It's just a company that tracks data. Your name just came up buying multiple items and they flagged it. You are just a name that appeared multiple times on a list to them. You shouldn't have problems with other sites as long as you haven't been doing the same there and they aren't monitoring for that. They won't tell you who the third party is because they don't want that company harassed.

Either do the pay-pal method or get multiple cards and alternate using them for duplicate items.

[quote name='mrlokievil']It's just a company that tracks data. Your name just came up buying multiple items and they flagged it. You are just a name that appeared multiple times on a list to them. You shouldn't have problems with other sites as long as you haven't been doing the same there and they aren't monitoring for that. They won't tell you who the third party is because they don't want that company harassed.

Either do the pay-pal method or get multiple cards and alternate using them for duplicate items.[/QUOTE]

Problem is, it's not just the card. It's my name and address as well. They made it sound like I would have to move to another state and change my name if I wanted to fix this, not just rotate cards.

There's a person who works for gamestop.com that posts here by the user name of espionage. I think he or she is supposed to be an unofficial liason between Gamestop and CAG because of all the bad stuff we as a community have said about them and voting them worst online/physical retailer that last few years. He/she might be able to help you.

[quote name='MSUHitman']There's a person who works for gamestop.com that posts here by the user name of espionage. I think he or she is supposed to be an unofficial liason between Gamestop and CAG because of all the bad stuff we as a community have said about them and voting them worst online/physical retailer that last few years. He/she might be able to help you.[/quote]

I believe there's another person who is supposed to be an unofficial or official go between for GS. Retroactive Gamer or something along those lines. I've seen them in the Gamestop.com redesign thread mentioning they would try and help with any problems people had.

Did you buy a system during release week and resell it on ebay? I've heard several stories of people who did this getting banned since they were able to trace the receipt number (which was displayed in the ebay photo) back to the original buyer and ban them that way.

My name is Shane and I own R.U. GAME? in Gainesville, FL. Yesterday on Black Friday I went into the Gamestop on Archer Rd. I picked out 3 games that I wanted (for me, not my store). The clerk said that they are not allowed to sell me anything anymore. He said the district manager had banned me! Every time one of my employees (and pretty much anyone else in the US) goes into a Gamestop they get treated like crap! LOL. Anyways, I took it as a compliment. Rhino Video games started in Gainesville. Now it's time for R.U. GAME? to shine. Get your running shoes on GameStop. Within 5 years there's going to be an R.U. GAME? across the street from every one of your top 100 stores. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back