GameStop.com Buy2get1 free on select NEW games

Just got my order delivered.

I ordered:
- Skyward Sword HD
- Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
- Streets of Rage 4 (the complete edition with the dlc)

What I got:
- Breath of the Wild (new and sealed)
- Great Ace Attorney Chronicles that was resealed with a sticker on case opening
- Streets of Rage 4 that was also resealed with a sticker on the case opening

The cases are a bit dinged up for the latter two games. I’ll at least exchange my BotW copy for Skyward Sword but I’m not sure if I want to keep the other two games as is. I’m assuming GameStop doesn’t prorate your return like Target does for their b2g1 sales?

I ordered Skyward Sword, Miitopia, and 13 Sentinels (PS4), and amazingly all three were sealed. Guess I got lucky. I'd wondered about 13 Sentinels but it was unopened like the others.

Of the 6 games I ordered, 3 Switch games were gutted.  Cadence of Hyrule, Oddworld Collection, and Streets of Rage 4 Anniversary Edition.  I chatted with their online customer support and they offered to send me replacements and told me to keep the ones that I had.  The replacements came in today, also all gutted.  I'm wondering if I should try again with customer service.  I'm tempted to keep this going until I get actual new copies.

I made two separate orders

Order #1

Guilty Gear Strive (PS4 - Came gutted, has residue of a price sticker on front)

Death's Gambit (Switch - Came  gutted, there's a slash across the back of the box)

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity (Ordered for a friend, came sealed)

Order #2

Road 96 (Switch - gutted with a "New" price sticker on front)

Sakuna of Rice and Ruin (Switch, came sealed)

Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection (Switch, came sealed)

I'm a little irritated, but considering I got 5 games for myself for about $100, I'm not going to complain... much.  

Of the 6 games I ordered, 3 Switch games were gutted. Cadence of Hyrule, Oddworld Collection, and Streets of Rage 4 Anniversary Edition. I chatted with their online customer support and they offered to send me replacements and told me to keep the ones that I had. The replacements came in today, also all gutted. I'm wondering if I should try again with customer service. I'm tempted to keep this going until I get actual new copies.
Sounds like a great way to get banned. You already came out way ahead by getting some free Switch games, which are normally expensive. Just sell your extra copies, and whatever you earn is worth more than plastic wrap.

Don't buy from Gamestop then. Problem solved. The company isn't going to change, if anything it's going to get even worse.
Gotta say, lesson learned. I've purchased dozens of new games from GS over the years, and I'd say I used to get maybe 1 out of 10 games gutted and I bought niche/less popular games without too many issues in the past. This round has been very bad. I also got Neptunia Reverse and Virtual Stars (both standalone, non-B2G1F purchases) and both of those were guts too.

My last game came in (using Stamps.com which is weird for a major retailer) and was sealed. So the only stickered one was Alex Kidd for Switch with the manual and keychain in tact.

I'm not as mad about this practice like I used to be as long as the box/art is fine and it's not intended to be a gift. It's used games that I won't buy online without pictures. I just wish they used stickers that didn't leave a residue.

I ordered Skyward Sword, Miitopia, and 13 Sentinels (PS4), and amazingly all three were sealed. Guess I got lucky. I'd wondered about 13 Sentinels but it was unopened like the others.
13 sentinels got large reprints of the vanilla version without the day one le stuff. They're super common now compared to a while ago where copies were hitting over msrp back when it was only the first print copies in the wild.

I must be the most unlucky person ever, received a "new" copy of Streets of Rage 4 Anniversary Edition with just the game cart in a beat up CD envelope. At least Customer Care was nice enough to give me a refund for this.

As people have mentioned in this thread, it seems low run/niche games have a higher probability of being "new", I recently ordered a copy of Disco Elysium to use a coupon and it came "new". Was going to try and exchange it for a sealed copy, but at this point I'm going to just keep it since the warehouse could be down to just game carts...

I must be the most unlucky person ever, received a "new" copy of Streets of Rage 4 Anniversary Edition with just the game cart in a beat up CD envelope. At least Customer Care was nice enough to give me a refund for this.

As people have mentioned in this thread, it seems low run/niche games have a higher probability of being "new", I recently ordered a copy of Disco Elysium to use a coupon and it came "new". Was going to try and exchange it for a sealed copy, but at this point I'm going to just keep it since the warehouse could be down to just game carts...
You should try anyway and see if you can at least get one with a case. Gamestop Customer Care is really good and they went the extra mile for me despite sending replacements to the wrong address; in the end they just refunded and didn't ask for the games back.

I ordered:

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Switch) - Was sealed.

Lost Judgment (Playstation 5) - Gutted with Gamestop "seal"

Tales of Arise (Playstation 5) - Was sealed.

Bought six new lesser known games for the B2G1 and got the first PS5 game in today, In Sound Mind. No shrink wrap or seal of any kind. Case has a small hole broke on it at the bottom and some warps in the plastic in spots. Needless to say not happy as it looks like a used copy even though I bought it new. Not sure if I can even return it since that probably affects the game I got for free? Have to see how the others come in when they arrive.

Just be glad judgement came in the case as that one's been semicommon to be mysteriously missing. I ordered it shortly after release iirc and they sent me the case with the sticker and such inside but no disc and had to send me a replacement so now I have 2 cases for it.

My second B2G1F order arrived yesterday. All three PS4 games were not actually new, though none of them had that reseal sticker on it that so many are mentioning here. I chatted with GS’s customer service to have them send me out actually new replacements. They allegedly will be here by Tuesday.

can everybody also list which state they live in?

cause I'm in NY, I ordered 9 games, they were shipped from PA and they were all new

like my SoR4 Anniversary and Lost Judgment were new while others received gutted copies, there's no way I just lucked out going 9 for 9 when I'm looking at these posts and seeing the amount of gutted games others received, it just makes no sense

like I know there was a class action lawsuit around the early 2000s in California over gutted games being sold as new, and Gamestop lost, so it always surprised me that they continued shipping gutted games, so I wondering if the state you live in has something to do with it and that Gamestop sends gutted games in states where they can get away with it

Last edited by a moderator:

cause I'm in NY, I ordered 9 games, they were shipped from PA and they were all new

like my SoR4 Anniversary and Lost Judgment were new while others received gutted copies, there's no way I just lucked out going 9 for 9 when I'm looking at these posts and seeing the amount of gutted games others received, it just makes no sense, so I wondering if the state you live in has something to do with it
Sometimes that just happens that way. All of my games also came new and sealed including akiba which others reported to not be/be resealed. But yes some stores they ship from do come in better condition than others.

The York PA distro is actually legit competent. Every game I get from them comes in 2 to 3 days, is well packed, and sealed.

Third and final order came from the PA warehouse and all three were sealed. All for switch - Hoa, dodgeball academia, and captain toad. Ended up with 4/9 sealed.

like my SoR4 Anniversary and Lost Judgment were new while others received gutted copies, there's no way I just lucked out going 9 for 9 when I'm looking at these posts and seeing the amount of gutted games others received, it just makes no sense

like I know there was a class action lawsuit around the early 2000s in California over gutted games being sold as new, and Gamestop lost, so it always surprised me that they continued shipping gutted games, so I wondering if the state you live in has something to do with it and that Gamestop sends gutted games in states where they can get away with it
I’m from California, and I received my order of Kingdoms of Amalur :switch: NieR Replicant :ps4: and Sakura Wars :ps4: which came from Texas. I was worried since it was in a mailer that they were gutted, but was pleasantly surprised they were all sealed. I’ve ordered when they had a similar deal in the past, but that was a mixed bag with half of them being new, and half being gutted.

Got a new game that was opened, called and they sent me a replacement....replacement came opened too.  Got a refund and kept both.

Shepardsville/Louisville KY, York PA, and Grapevine TX are all 3 distro centers,  if its coming from anywhere else, its from a store.

I doubt their inventory system has a way to differentiate between new and displayed as new. Unless it assumes the final copy is a display and only ships to those states from stores with 2 or more in stock.

For replacements, does GameStop charge you if you don’t return the incorrect item? I chatted with CS yesterday and they’re sending me a Skyward Sword copy (I incorrectly received Breath of the Wild) but I don’t think they actually said anything about returning my copy of BotW.

I see the replacement order in my account history and it’s listed at $30, but I wasn’t charged for it…well, at least not yet.

I mean I don’t mind returning BotW, but I’ll take a free copy if I can.

Based on other peoples' comments, they often haven't been asked to return/send back the wrong item. So YMMV?

For replacements, does GameStop charge you if you don’t return the incorrect item? I chatted with CS yesterday and they’re sending me a Skyward Sword copy (I incorrectly received Breath of the Wild) but I don’t think they actually said anything about returning my copy of BotW.

I see the replacement order in my account history and it’s listed at $30, but I wasn’t charged for it…well, at least not yet.

You aren't supposed to be charged, but if it shows a dollar amount and a gift card used for payment instead of $0 it might decline when they attempt to process it. (The replacement I had that actually shipped wasn't shown in my account history at all.) At that point you need to contact them again for another rep to do it correctly.

Grats on your BotW anyway, I don't think they're going to ask you to return it.

Thanks for the input regarding the replacement orders. Just checked out my account history and it looks like I got issued a “refund” for one of my Skyward Sword copies.

I’ve found that when they come from one of the 3 warehouses, it’s sealed usually. From a store? You’re fucked.
My order from a couple of months ago was from a warehouse. I guess that's why my Caligula effect 2 was sealed. My most recent order was from a store and everything still came sealed

I doubt their inventory system has a way to differentiate between new and displayed as new. Unless it assumes the final copy is a display and only ships to those states from stores with 2 or more in stock.
It used to not ship from stores if they only had 1 stock assuming it was a gut. This was changed a couple of years ago due to complaints about old stock sitting in stores and being unable to order online. It'll never change back.

I guess I had 1 more order I forgot about but 2 sealed (Age of Calamity and Cadence of Hyrule) and I gut (Monster Hunter Stories 2). And checking all my orders, yep- all of them came from stores. I honestly wouldn't mind guts but not when the case looks like a dog nibbled on it. I think only 1 of my guts actually look like a new game. 

One time I got the game cart-only in a blank case, with a flowery handwritten note begging me to please forgive them and accept the $5 gift card they also included. No idea there.

Recently I bought Carrion, arguably even more of a niche title, and all 3 of my copies came unsealed. But I bought Shadowverse and Subnautica and I got 3 sealed copies of each.

So I think it also depends on how new the game is, and how popular it is. Since stores get rid of the sealed copies first, if a game is old and obscure then it is unlikely any stores have anything but the unsealed floor copy. But if the game is newer then there's a good chance there will still be some new copies.

Overall, from this round of B2G1 had 12 overall games and 11 of them were factory sealed.  Also bought 5 more standalone games on Sunday from the sales that started then and all came sealed.  The only gut (RIMS Racing PS5) was sent by itself from a store.

Is there any kind industry standard definition for “new”? One time some GameStop employee tried to tell me it’s like buying a “new” car even though it’s been test driven, but I explained to them that cars have odometers and there is a standard mileage limit for what’s considered “new”.

My point is, if you took two discs of the same game from GameStop, one “new” and one used, would they be able to tell you which one is which? Of course not, so it sounds like a class action lawsuit to me.

Is there any kind industry standard definition for “new”? One time some GameStop employee tried to tell me it’s like buying a “new” car even though it’s been test driven, but I explained to them that cars have odometers and there is a standard mileage limit for what’s considered “new”.

My point is, if you took two discs of the same game from GameStop, one “new” and one used, would they be able to tell you which one is which? Of course not, so it sounds like a class action lawsuit to me.
Go ahead, you are almost 20 years too late.

https://kotaku.com/gamestop-class-action-attorney-investigating-latest-use-5254827

I usually don't order from GS due to the possibility of gut open new games. These were shipped from a store, but here's what I got

Nier Replicant 2 qty - both sealed
House of Ashes - sealed

Skyward Sword - sealed
Neo the world ends with you - sealed
Cagula Effect 2 - gutted copy

GS don't liked me :(

3 copies of Dragon Quest S (S) gutted  and replaced New ordered get 3 copies Gutted again. Should i ask for replacement?

2 copies $20 games is sealed and Star Wars collection is gutted (so many store around me had multi copies. Why? shipped me gutted copy).

GS don't liked me :(

3 copies of Dragon Quest S (S) gutted and replaced New ordered get 3 copies Gutted again. Should i ask for replacement?

2 copies $20 games is sealed and Star Wars collection is gutted (so many store around me had multi copies. Why? shipped me gutted copy).
You're better off trying to exchange locally at those stores. They won't send multiple replacements for the same order anyway - well, not that they won't do it, but the system will simply cancel the orders past the first replacement.

You're better off trying to exchange locally at those stores. They won't send multiple replacements for the same order anyway - well, not that they won't do it, but the system will simply cancel the orders past the first replacement.
They did that for me- one of my orders had two gutted games (1 damaged case, 1 with scuff marks on disc) out of 3, and they replaced both guts at once. Of course, my replacements were also guts but at least looked new condition. Maybe they have to be the same order AND same shipment or something?

I tried to get replacements for two games in my order but they couldn't find any stock to replace it with, saying that this was probably why they sent out used ones in the first place. Since they couldn't find any replacements they said they would just refund as it wasn't worth the return shipping. One of games was marked "free" in the order so even though they refunded both I only got refunded for the price of the one game. Next time I'll just buy from other stores to avoid the trouble.

They did that for me- one of my orders had two gutted games (1 damaged case, 1 with scuff marks on disc) out of 3, and they replaced both guts at once. Of course, my replacements were also guts but at least looked new condition. Maybe they have to be the same order AND same shipment or something?
Yeah sorry for the confusion - I meant that they won't be able to replace the same order/shipment twice, not multiple items within the same order, which is totally fine.

Yeah sorry for the confusion - I meant that they won't be able to replace the same order/shipment twice, not multiple items within the same order, which is totally fine.
Oh... wow. That's some BS right there. Like I could understand if they were sealed games and people were just abusing returns because the item had exterior flaws, but they're literally sending "new" items where the case was put out to display/handled by how knows how many people?

Oh... wow. That's some BS right there. Like I could understand if they were sealed games and people were just abusing returns because the item had exterior flaws, but they're literally sending "new" items where the case was put out to display/handled by how knows how many people?
Yup. Back in the day, some stores would have the balls to hand you a gutted copy that you fucking preordered on *release day*. Even worse, it felt like a lot of them did it because they thought a 12 year old me wouldn't complain. (they were wrong)

I guess GS just has a different definition of "new" than every other retailer on the planet :razz:

On one hand I hate gutted copies as well. On the other hand some of the prices on these niche games, gutted or not, are cheaper than buying them used on the secondhand market and other stories simply don't stock these games so in many cases you have no other option. Either pay double the price for a real "new" copy on eBay or deal with annoying gutted copies. Personally I'd rather give me money to GS and get these games for below MSRP than reward someone scalping niche games in his basement on eBay. With the low amount of printings that many niche games get these days you're going to have to tolerate one problem or the other. It's not like the old days where it was easy to find even niche games in big retail stores and then get them on clearance factory sealed.
This is a totally reasonable take and I agree. I just don't like placing the order thinking I'm getting a good deal, then finding out that 0 out of 3 games were sealed. And with those stickers leaving residue on the case, along with overall shelf wear, it doesn't feel like I actually got new games without a seal on them. It feels like I got used games.

I guess that goes back to your first point about them still being cheaper than the aftermarket, but I would rather accurately know the condition of what I'm buying regardless. There just isn't a great solution other than forcing myself to shop at non-GS stores, which usually means paying more.

bread's done
Back