GameStop.com Buy2get1 free on select NEW games

On one hand I hate gutted copies as well. On the other hand some of the prices on these niche games, gutted or not, are cheaper than buying them used on the secondhand market and other stories simply don't stock these games so in many cases you have no other option. Either pay double the price for a real "new" copy on eBay or deal with annoying gutted copies. Personally I'd rather give me money to GS and get these games for below MSRP than reward someone scalping niche games in his basement on eBay. With the low amount of printings that many niche games get these days you're going to have to tolerate one problem or the other. It's not like the old days where it was easy to find even niche games in big retail stores and then get them on clearance factory sealed.
You don't need put quotes around new like that when what you're describing is the exact same thing as what everyone else in the universe considers new when it comes to video game condition.

Yup. Back in the day, some stores would have the balls to hand you a gutted copy that you fucking preordered on *release day*. Even worse, it felt like a lot of them did it because they thought a 12 year old me wouldn't complain. (they were wrong)

I guess GS just has a different definition of "new" than every other retailer on the planet :razz:
They do it to everyone so you can't return it, because somehow if an employee plays it it's new but if you buy it, don't play it, and try to return it ten minutes later it's magically used. It's not that they did it to you because you were a child and wouldn't complain, it's that they do it to everyone and don't even have shame in doing it to a child. Judge for yourself which is creepier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually worked at GS for a few months because I was good friends with the manager for a long time. I only did it as a second job so I could get first dibs on buying trade-ins with my employee discount. This was back in the mid 2000s and there was tons of SNES and other now classic games coming in on the regular. But yeah, it was weird selling the last gutted copy as new when I did not agree with it. We also had a heat shrinkwrap machine we used on games. 

My order showed up for Nier Replicant, Super Monkey Ball Anniversary, and Like a Dragon. All three sealed, but Like a Dragon was the standard edition, not the Day One. They’re sending a replacement. Hopefully it’s the right edition this time.

My three replacement games arrived on Saturday, and they were all gutted “new” too (and actually in worse condition than the original three gutted games they sent me). I’m going to take them back to my local store and make sure they don’t have any sealed copies of the game before giving up on getting these three games in actual new/shrinkwrapped condition.

Everyone keeps throwing around the term "gutted" which to me sounds like they opened it and threw out all the inserts when in reality 95% of games these days are just cover art, case and disc/cart.

Damn, I'll bet that guy never uses quotes again!
Hopefully not in that way again because it just makes them sound like they're confusing the concepts of old vs. new and used vs. new which wouldn't happen if they were omitted in this context; I didn't mean to bully them out of the practice entirely. Quotes can be helpful when used appropriately.

Does anyone seriously find newer (as in time) new or used (as in condition) niche games at half the price at gamestop vs ebay and other secondhand sellers? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in real life.

What types of games are people buying that are doubling in price on ebay and amazon markets within a couple years a gamestop would have it around?  I want their investment advice, not gamestonk holders'.

It works fine if you just wholly buy into the lifestyle and pay tribute to gamestop in flips, trust me!

You're starting to sound like a MLM person dude

Yeah but you do though, you're telling me I should know and understand 30 years of Gamestop's corporate history to make sense of their marketing because of their insistence on mental gymnastics.

Back in the days Gamestop would sell used games as new by rewrapping them. After the lawsuit, they gave everyone $5 coupons and the lawyers took all the money. What upsets me when they send you new games disc only.

Here's how an employee at a store explained it to me.

As for the whole gutted games debacle, I went to a store to return one of the gutted copies that had damaged packaging and a used disc and the guy argued with me about what GS considers "new" or "pre-owned". He said the reason they consider games "pre-owned" instead of "used" is because they differentiate their games by whether someone "owned" them or not. He said that they lend gutted copies to employees or sometimes let customers return opened new copies if they don't like the game and he said they're technically still considered "new" since no one actually "owned" them. He said this is also why they sent out "new" games in generic cases because even though the packaging is missing the games are still considered "new" and not "pre-owned" because they were never "owned" by anyone. This seems like ludicrous reasoning to me but he claims this is why GS changed their stickers from "used" to "pre-owned" years ago to get around this debate.
Yes I know that is why I haven't spoken to a gamestop employee about the issue in like two decades, they seem to suffer from some kind of unique mental illness specific to working at gamestop.

Back in the days Gamestop would sell used games as new by rewrapping them. After the lawsuit, they gave everyone $5 coupons and the lawyers took all the money. What upsets me when they send you new games disc only.
Huh I didn't hear anything about that. Man that's pretty messed up.

Everyone keeps throwing around the term "gutted" which to me sounds like they opened it and threw out all the inserts when in reality 95% of games these days are just cover art, case and disc/cart.
I think you’re right for the most part in saying that even most shrinkwrapped games these days don’t include anything but the game inside the case, but one of the opened/“new”/“gutted” games they sent me during this B2G1F round was missing an insert card containing a code that had to be redeemed by a certain date, so the “gutted” description does still apply sometimes!

So… got the standard copy again for Like a Dragon… called in and they said there is know way to verify that I purchases a new copy of the day one edition for $20 (it says in on the order page of the app btw) because the list price is now $30. I explained that it was a sale and asked if they could look to see previous prices of the sale. I was told no and that I would have to screen shot my order page and send in an email. Also… this is where she hung up on me. WTF? Obviously waiting on a response from email.
Probably just returning everything. Ugh.

So… got the standard copy again for Like a Dragon… called in and they said there is know way to verify that I purchases a new copy of the day one edition for $20 (it says in on the order page of the app btw) because the list price is now $30. I explained that it was a sale and asked if they could look to see previous prices of the sale. I was told no and that I would have to screen shot my order page and send in an email. Also… this is where she hung up on me. WTF? Obviously waiting on a response from email.
Probably just returning everything. Ugh.
There's no such thing as a "day one edition" for them to send. That's just a pack-in for the copies purchased day 1. The sku and barcode themselves are the exact same item as the standard edition and there is no way for them to be able to tell a difference. They sent you the same item.

There's no such thing as a "day one edition" for them to send. That's just a pack-in for the copies purchased day 1. The sku and barcode themselves are the exact same item as the standard edition and there is no way for them to be able to tell a difference. They sent you the same item.
I actually tried to explain the sku thing being merged to them because I thought that was the problem, hence why I’ll probably just return everything. That being said, Gamestop shouldnt allow you to buy the Day One edition which includes the steelbook (Ichi edition) rather than the standard edition. That’s on them. Also, as of last week, the day one edition is what was being shipped from Best Buy with an additional steel book (yes I should have waited). They should update their listings for crap like this.
Bottom line, the rep hung up on me after telling me that there was know way to check whether I purchased new or pre owned games. That’s is baffling. Apparently that isn’t visible on their end when looking at my purchases.
I know I’m not going to get the game advertised, so it’s going back. Guess I won’t buy from sales like that again.

I actually tried to explain the sku thing being merged to them because I thought that was the problem, hence why I’ll probably just return everything. That being said, Gamestop shouldnt allow you to buy the Day One edition which includes the steelbook (Ichi edition) rather than the standard edition. That’s on them. Also, as of last week, the day one edition is what was being shipped from Best Buy with an additional steel book (yes I should have waited). They should update their listings for crap like this.
Bottom line, the rep hung up on me after telling me that there was know way to check whether I purchased new or pre owned games. That’s is baffling. Apparently that isn’t visible on their end when looking at my purchases.
I know I’m not going to get the game advertised, so it’s going back. Guess I won’t buy from sales like that again.
There's no sku merging. They have the same barcode from the manufacturer. They are the same sku. They just ship the first wave with some extras but it's intended to always be the same sku. GS just never updates the description half the time, but if you aren't buying "Day One" don't expect "Day One" content.

With Gamestop you CAN have it both ways, you can buy a new and used copy by buying only one game!  Move over Disney, they're the new (and used!) magic company.

Um, yeah, I just sent it back. They need to change the listing. It’s not a stock photo, it’s the listing and it is being sold as new (granted GS standards of new). If it’s not available, don’t sell it. Not sure what is hard to understand here or why I would need to lower my expectations of a listing. That feels like enabling to me.

Just so you know, there are literally hundreds of games like this.  Don't expect launch content editions if not at launch,  the sku is almost always exactly the same.  If you buy at launch and don't get sent a launch content copy, by all means complain,  but after launch it's highly unlikely any of that specific stock is left, and the sku is the same either way so it's just going to get sent from whereever has plenty of stock.

bread's done
Back