Gamestop did something for the customer...

xycury

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Going to make this feel good story short...

Lost my edge card with 5.01 in credit somewhere in my house...

Still has over 6 months of use left, since I bought it for $2 in Jan.

So I emailed Gamestop on their website and waited 5 days... expecting them to say.. "Tough Luck" in not so many words...

BUT, they emailed back saying I could visit any B&M store and they could assist me in getting my card and credit back!

WHA?!?!

So the next week I printed the email, and walked in (with bag of glitter ready).

They said no, whipped out the email... said hmm.... Called corp. then waited, then transfered to another guy.... then another...

After the phone call, the guy behind the counter said that they could...and started to help out the line (rush hour i suppose when I was waiting)....

so I browse around pick out a few gbc games for the b2g1 free... Picked up DW Monsters, Conkers Tail, and Power Quest for cheap....

AND spotted a used copy of EO2 but I got a copy cheaper on ebay so I'll return that later...

So... after a few people... I got a new edge card with a barcode of my old number printed and taped to it.... got 5.01 charged on the card...

Used the credit to pick up everything for $23.

And now I have 2 edges... 1 on paper barcode and online, other on the card itself and if I get any credit it goes on that number....

SO

after about 30 minutes, I walked out a very happy customer.

Comments?

That's great that you are happy, and it really IS rare when Gamestop will actually try to make it right. That said....
Not to be a ballbuster or anything, but I'd be interested to see what would happen if it had been more than 5 bucks.

To be fair though, it's usually not Gamestop in general on the local Joe Customer level that's the problem. It's the punk behind the counter who thinks he's the slick straight haired character from his favorite anime.

I'm glad that things turned out well for you. However, I don't think that you should require an email printout in hand to receive proper customer service. [devil's advocate]Though, I suppose that its explaining of the situation would've been handy to have with you, if only to expedite the process.[/devil's advocate]

Anyway, I hope your future dealings with GS end similarly to your favor.

A local Gamestop helped me out one day, I lost my Edge Card with $120 or so credit still on it (I lost it at a GS location a few hours prior before coming to this one), I asked them can I do anything about it to get it back, the guy said I could bring in any receipt that I used my edge card on. here where it gets good

-He told me to buy a $120 worth of games
-He rang it up and used the edge account number off of my old receipt
-He then returned the games and gave me a refund and placed it on a new Edge card
-With my new card I pre-ordered 4 things in return to say thank you to him(Tales of Vesperia, Too Human, Fable 2 LE, Infinite Undiscovery)

Thats the only way he said he knew how to do it

[quote name='zephie']I'm glad that things turned out well for you. However, I don't think that you should require an email printout in hand to receive proper customer service. [devil's advocate]Though, I suppose that its explaining of the situation would've been handy to have with you, if only to expedite the process.[/devil's advocate]

Anyway, I hope your future dealings with GS end similarly to your favor.[/quote]

I know what you're saying though, they were all well and ready to say they can't, but I had the email ready for them to do something about it. I don't think it should be required to have the email, I agree.

But if this is a "new" Gamestop, probably new policies haven't been carried out to all the B&M stores yet...

They guy behind the counter went through the "book" just to see if it's a new policy... but had to call anyways.

I know there are bad stores, and most of them are really just bad people.

I hear stories all the time.. and considering it's one tiny flaw, Gamestop is not so bad.... and supplies a need to its customers that isn't provided better to run them out of business yet.

That story about the 120 is awesome though too, glad to have heard good news out of that.

Rather nice to know GameStop still doesn't help anyone unless corporate gets involved during it. I remember losing my Edge Card once and was told I was shit out of luck twice after calling corporate about it. Went to a local store and got the same crap from them. I ended up with a new card after paying, but with a longer subscription to Game Informer. :bomb:

[quote name='Poor2More']A local Gamestop helped me out one day, I lost my Edge Card with $120 or so credit still on it (I lost it at a GS location a few hours prior before coming to this one), I asked them can I do anything about it to get it back, the guy said I could bring in any receipt that I used my edge card on. here where it gets good

-He told me to buy a $120 worth of games
-He rang it up and used the edge account number off of my old receipt
-He then returned the games and gave me a refund and placed it on a new Edge card
-With my new card I pre-ordered 4 things in return to say thank you to him(Tales of Vesperia, Too Human, Fable 2 LE, Infinite Undiscovery)

Thats the only way he said he knew how to do it[/quote]

I don't get this... you bought $120 worth of stuff and then he refunded it to your edge card? So all you did was transfer your own money to it? And then you gave him $20 more for pre-orders? I don't follow.

By the way... maybe I'm spoiled, but it should be expected that they could look up your information and reprint the bar code sticker for you. I mean, it SHOULD all be in their database. I was getting new barcodes before since they would wear out in my wallet until the last guy that did it taped over the sticker as well and it's been fine since.

[quote name='QiG']I don't get this... you bought $120 worth of stuff and then he refunded it to your edge card? So all you did was transfer your own money to it? And then you gave him $20 more for pre-orders? I don't follow.

By the way... maybe I'm spoiled, but it should be expected that they could look up your information and reprint the bar code sticker for you. I mean, it SHOULD all be in their database. I was getting new barcodes before since they would wear out in my wallet until the last guy that did it taped over the sticker as well and it's been fine since.[/quote]

For the first part I think he HAD 120 on an edge card number account, and that's what Gamestop used it on, spent all the credit that was there on that account, and gave him a new card and credited all back.

Kind of a loophole, but using your other point, they had it in their database, and know he had 120, so that's why they could possibly do that.

I think my senario is different, because if I could ever find my original... it may still have the $5 on it... I don't know if Gamestop can 0 out an account without consent or swipping the original card.

I agree too on the barcode thing... they reprinted mine... I should just put tape over mine too.... it'll rub off in my wallet.

[quote name='xycury']I agree too on the barcode thing... they reprinted mine... I should just put tape over mine too.... it'll rub off in my wallet.[/quote]

Ask a Gamestop cashier to put one of those Used Game clear circle stickers on it. That thing will never come off. :p I'm sure my Edge card has seen more use in a few months than most Edge cards do in a year and it still scans due to the sticker. It really is annoying that those barcodes wipe off so easily.

I'm surprised, I once bought a year subscrition to their magazine and in the en only received 2 issues before they stoped sending them. Asked at the store about and they send their was nothing they could do. Ended up paying more for the subscription then the cost of the 2 magazines.

Glad it worked out though.

[quote name='Mad_Dawk']I'm surprised, I once bought a year subscrition to their magazine and in the en only received 2 issues before they stoped sending them. Asked at the store about and they send their was nothing they could do. Ended up paying more for the subscription then the cost of the 2 magazines.

Glad it worked out though.[/quote]

Didn't they give you your first issue at store level and maybe one or more back issues? That's what they USED to do. Whenever I had bought an actual Edge card and I wasn't getting the magazines, I stopped in at my local Gamestop and they would let me grab a copy of that month's issue.

As far as Gamestop having new policies, some of them I definitely DO NOT agree with. Yesterday, I went to trade in a 50001 model PS2 and tried THREE friggin' Gamestops. The first one wouldn't even take it because of a 'new policy' where they 'only take a normal Dual Shock 2 and the system HAS to have an AV cable with it'. So, I tried the second one, where they were about to take it, but then looked on the back and apparently due to the age of the system, the warranty seal had fallen/peeled off.

This just irks me to no end, since the bonus coupon I was trying to use with the trade-in says the system has to be in 'full working condition'. Nowhere does it say it 'has to have a certain type of controller or other cables'. Gamestop still fuckin' blows to me, but it's good to see that the OP and others actually got GOOD customer service FOR ONCE.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Didn't they give you your first issue at store level and maybe one or more back issues? That's what they USED to do. Whenever I had bought an actual Edge card and I wasn't getting the magazines, I stopped in at my local Gamestop and they would let me grab a copy of that month's issue.

As far as Gamestop having new policies, some of them I definitely DO NOT agree with. Yesterday, I went to trade in a 50001 model PS2 and tried THREE friggin' Gamestops. The first one wouldn't even take it because of a 'new policy' where they 'only take a normal Dual Shock 2 and the system HAS to have an AV cable with it'. So, I tried the second one, where they were about to take it, but then looked on the back and apparently due to the age of the system, the warranty seal had fallen/peeled off.

This just irks me to no end, since the bonus coupon I was trying to use with the trade-in says the system has to be in 'full working condition'. Nowhere does it say it 'has to have a certain type of controller or other cables'. Gamestop still fuckin' blows to me, but it's good to see that the OP and others actually got GOOD customer service FOR ONCE.[/quote]

Since you are the supposed expert on everything, why didn't you just take what the first employee said and go home. You tried to work the system by going to different stores and you still lost. Lots of wasted time and gas when one store visit was all you needed.

And I have had my PS2 since day 1 and the warranty sticker does not just fall off. It has to be peeled off so I don't buy it just fell off.

[quote name='THoward7382']Since you are the supposed expert on everything, why didn't you just take what the first employee said and go home. You tried to work the system by going to different stores and you still lost. Lots of wasted time and gas when one store visit was all you needed.

And I have had my PS2 since day 1 and the warranty sticker does not just fall off. It has to be peeled off so I don't buy it just fell off.[/quote]

Actually there's 3 stores within about a mile or so of one another(one store inside a mall and two in strip malls nearby), so it wasn't that far between stores. I just kept the system in my car and traded it in yesterday at a fourth store when I went to another nearby city to go to some nonsense regarding some timeshares or some other bullshit.

They took it with no problem, so I'm happy now.

As for the sticker not being able to just fall off, it did in the case of this system. However, it may have fallen off after numerous years of use and changing temps in my room. Hot summers and cold winters can do alot to things made of plastic and fastened with only glue.

Of course, I know I can never convince you and you'll always think that Gamestop is the best damn store around since you're a gamestop apologist, so I'm just done trying in this thread.

[quote name='Tsukento']Rather nice to know GameStop still doesn't help anyone unless corporate gets involved during it. I remember losing my Edge Card once and was told I was shit out of luck twice after calling corporate about it. Went to a local store and got the same crap from them. I ended up with a new card after paying, but with a longer subscription to Game Informer. :bomb:[/quote]

haha. gs links edge cards to cag sn's drrrr.

I had a situation similar to yours back when they were EB games. Someone had stolen my card with $8.00 on it. I called corp and they mailed me out a new one. Perhaps they integrated the eb customer service policies to the gs one. Either way it's good you good you got it back.

bread's done
Back