Gamestop Dumping GBA Games - The Reckoning Begins April 18, B2G2 (17th for PUR Pro)

[quote name='david12795']squarehand, do you know what kind of sale gamestop will be running to get rid of these gba games?[/QUOTE]

That I have not heard yet.

The rumor floating around is B2G1, similar to the Xbox clearance, but I have yet to confirm exactly what sale it will be.

It may be YMMV for each store too.

I'll try and get an update for you guys as soon as I can on the type of sale.

I've got a feeling that this thread will be full of greatness wiht great finds.

I have 5 Gamestops within 5-6 miles of my house. If I find any great deals I'll try to buy it twice to help a couple CAGs out. Shipping will be VERY cheap given that it they are cart.

I checked out my GS today, and they do have a couple baskets full. I looked through and found a handful of really nice games, so I'll be waiting for this. The manager there also hinted that the GBA (SP) consoles will see a major price drop at the same time.

Don't think he said it was the first, though. Can't remember the exact day he said now D;

[quote name='aptanor']I checked out my GS today, and they do have a couple baskets full. I looked through and found a handful of really nice games, so I'll be waiting for this. The manager there also hinted that the GBA (SP) consoles will see a major price drop at the same time.

Don't think he said it was the first, though. Can't remember the exact day he said now D;[/QUOTE]

I got April 3rd as the date, but I just put start of April to make it easier for people to remember.

[quote name='Squarehard']That I have not heard yet.

The rumor floating around is B2G1, similar to the Xbox clearance, but I have yet to confirm exactly what sale it will be.

It may be YMMV for each store too.

I'll try and get an update for you guys as soon as I can on the type of sale.[/QUOTE]

hopefully the price will be cheap as well, not just the base prices. those pokemon games are expensive

I'm looking forward to the GBA games being on sale. Hopefully, there will be a B2G1 offer. Squarehard, please keep us posted! Thanks so much for this thread!

The prices may stay the same for awhile, until it gets to the end of the clearance, which may not be for awhile.

They did the same thing with Xbox games, and it took like 3 months before they actually started dropping all the prices to $2-$3, and then stacking with the B2G1, but by that time, everything good was pretty much gone.

Let's see how this one goes.

What exactly would be considered a great GBA find anyways? Anything you folks are looking for in particular?

All I'm thinking about picking up is the old Lunar Legends game for the GBA, but that's not considered too rare as far as I know. Well, that and a GBA Micro for the hell of it.

[quote name='Squarehard']They did the same thing with Xbox games, and it took like 3 months before they actually started dropping all the prices to $2-$3, and then stacking with the B2G1[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize they did that. I thought the base prices generally stayed the same through the purge but with B1G2, etc. I was going by the prices on Gamestop.com though.

I do know the GB/GBC base prices never really fell, but with 85% off at the end, even the expensive Pokemon games were cheap.

[quote name='salty tbone']I didn't realize they did that. I thought the base prices generally stayed the same through the purge but with B1G2, etc. I was going by the prices on Gamestop.com though.

I do know the GB/GBC base prices never really fell, but with 85% off at the end, even the expensive Pokemon games were cheap.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they normally didn't do the B1G2 until the very very end though.

I remember at that point though, it wasn't even worth the effort to look, lol.

Hopefully the base prices aren't higher than $9.99? I don't know what they are because I rarely enter GS.

Imagine what Gamestop wil be like in a few years when they finally decide to clear out all the PS2 games.

[quote name='Josh5890']Hopefully the base prices aren't higher than $9.99? I don't know what they are because I rarely enter GS.

Imagine what Gamestop wil be like in a few years when they finally decide to clear out all the PS2 games.[/QUOTE]

There are quite a few above $9.99. Some of the Pokemon games are $30 in-store. If you go to Gamestop.com and search GBA games, you can sort by price.

[quote name='salty tbone']There are quite a few above $9.99. Some of the Pokemon games are $30 in-store. If you go to Gamestop.com and search GBA games, you can sort by price.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I noticed that. Fire red, Leaf green, Emerald, and Saphire.

There is really only 4 (Maybe 6) GBA games I would be willing to buy to add to my collection. Any others I can play for free.

Was there any thread made on CAG or other gaming forums about when this happened to GB/GBC games?

[quote name='Elhaym']There is really only 4 (Maybe 6) GBA games I would be willing to buy to add to my collection. Any others I can play for free.[/QUOTE]

So you are a dirty poor pirate. Thanks for letting us know.

I remember the 85% off GB/GBC games clearance. The GS I went to kept all of them under the counter in a huge bag and let my friend and I go through all of them. There were some great finds (Mario, Pokemon, Megaman) and some really cool games I'd never heard of. I finally played through the ones I was interested in and just finished selling or giving all of them away. I think I made a good profit, but it was over many months of playing and selling when I was finished playing.

Ahh, I need to go to my gamestop and see if I can pick up Superstar Saga and the Metroid games. Hopefully they'll drop in price before they all get sold, the prices listed in the OP are way too much for me..

Is there going to be a virtual console for GBA games on the 3DS?? For those that are getting the 3DS (not me) it could be worth just waiting for that.

FYI the batteries in my pokemon GBA carts are starting to die, I have a friend who can fix this and I just sent one of my games to him, but GBA carts are really hard to change the batteries in, not as easy as it is to change GB/GBC cart batteries. He had to get a special battery and have it soldered at the place he bought the battery since its very difficult to solder a GBA battery. Just a warning for anyone who is out to buy those overpriced Pokemon games from GS. Its a lot of trouble to get the battery fixed in a GBA game as you can see so if there is a GBA virtual console for the 3DS you might just be better off waiting for that. Of course if the game didn't work you could just return it to GS.

The monster rancher games also have batteries in them, I think some of the castlevania games do as well. Dungeons and dragons has a battery too but that is usually a cheap game. I opened up some of my carts to check to see which ones have batteries and which don't the majority of them don't but there are a few that do and those might cause trouble down the line especially if its a game you are planning on putting 40+ hours into.

[quote name='SaraAB']Is there going to be a virtual console for GBA games on the 3DS?? For those that are getting the 3DS (not me) it could be worth just waiting for that.

FYI the batteries in my pokemon GBA carts are starting to die, I have a friend who can fix this and I just sent one of my games to him, but GBA carts are really hard to change the batteries in, not as easy as it is to change GB/GBC cart batteries. He had to get a special battery and have it soldered at the place he bought the battery since its very difficult to solder a GBA battery. Just a warning for anyone who is out to buy those overpriced Pokemon games from GS. Its a lot of trouble to get the battery fixed in a GBA game as you can see so if there is a GBA virtual console for the 3DS you might just be better off waiting for that. Of course if the game didn't work you could just return it to GS.

The monster rancher games also have batteries in them, I think some of the castlevania games do as well. Dungeons and dragons has a battery too but that is usually a cheap game. I opened up some of my carts to check to see which ones have batteries and which don't the majority of them don't but there are a few that do and those might cause trouble down the line especially if its a game you are planning on putting 40+ hours into.[/QUOTE]

Yea that stinks, I am only going to buy the gba games that did not use batteries. But pokemon green/red don't use batteries.

Ahhh, yes, the GB/GBC clearance was fantastic.

So Gamestop actually dropped the price on the original Xbox games (especially the $$$ ones), instead of going to 75% off? I kept passing them up because they were B2G1 and B1G2 - I figured I couldn't find anything to pair the expensive ones up with and was holding out for a pure discount. Not to mention, they were all disc only and most were scratched up when I went through them.

I did end up getting something like 20 copies of Jet Set Radio/Sega CD to use as coasters/handouts though...something like $.25 each

[quote name='karkyco']I did end up getting something like 20 copies of Jet Set Radio/Sega CD to use as coasters/handouts though...something like $.25 each[/QUOTE]

D: don't use them as coasters, please. I'll cry myself to sleep if you do!

crying_baby.jpg

[quote name='karkyco']
I did end up getting something like 20 copies of Jet Set Radio/Sega CD to use as coasters/handouts though...something like $.25 each[/QUOTE]They consistently sell for $4-6 + shipping on eBay, I wouldn't use them as coasters.

I've compiled a list of some of the rarer/more expensive GBA games. If you find any of these at a good price, pick em up!

Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Classic NES: Legend of Zelda, The
Classic NES: Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Doom
Doom 2
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: Lost Age
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Legend of Zelda, The: The Minish Cap
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
Ninja Five-o
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's a sports game with an ancient roster, but NHL 2002 is a portable throwback to the SNES/Genesis days. Hockey fans should pick it up since it's also hard to find.

[quote name='Tardcore']I've compiled a list of some of the rarer/more expensive GBA games. If you find any of these at a good price, pick em up!

Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Doom
Doom 2
Final Fantasy IV
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Metroid Fusion
Ninja Five-o
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire
[/QUOTE]

Soooo basically all the good games on the machine.

[quote name='nnthomas']Soooo basically all the good games on the machine.[/QUOTE]

Yes from NES or SNES.

I notice some gamestops has the GBA in locked cases still or in a box on the counter. The Pokemon games are still $29.99. The Zelda game is $15.
These games are overpriced. Hope they drop it so I can get at least one Pokemon game.

Please don't bash, I never played Pokemon (I use to watch the show). Anyone know what is a great Pokemon game to start with? Does it have the regular Pokemon like from the beginning of the show? I know that Black and white came out, but miss the old school Pokemon if u know what I mean...

[quote name='The Punisher']Yes from NES or SNES.

I notice some gamestops has the GBA in locked cases still or in a box on the counter. The Pokemon games are still $29.99. The Zelda game is $15.
These games are overpriced. Hope they drop it so I can get at least one Pokemon game.

Please don't bash, I never played Pokemon (I use to watch the show). Anyone know what is a great Pokemon game to start with? Does it have the regular Pokemon like from the beginning of the show? I know that Black and white came out, but miss the old school Pokemon if u know what I mean...[/QUOTE]
Any of the GBA ones are good for a walk down memory lane. Especially the last 2 released which were leaf green and fire red I believe.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Any of the GBA ones are good for a walk down memory lane. Especially the last 2 released which were leaf green and fire red I believe.[/QUOTE]

So get the last Pokemon games that were released on GBA? What is the difference between Leaf Green and Fire Red? Sorry, never play any pokemon games before.

[quote name='The Punisher']So get the last Pokemon games that were released on GBA? What is the difference between Leaf Green and Fire Red? Sorry, never play any pokemon games before.[/QUOTE]

Not much, just the types of Pokemon you can catch.

Is this going to be an advertised sale, anyone know?

[quote name='Tardcore']I've compiled a list of some of the rarer/more expensive GBA games. If you find any of these at a good price, pick em up!

Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Doom
Doom 2
Final Fantasy IV
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Metroid Fusion
Ninja Five-o
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire
[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you meant Final Fantasy VI and not IV.

[quote name='The Punisher']So get the last Pokemon games that were released on GBA? What is the difference between Leaf Green and Fire Red? Sorry, never play any pokemon games before.[/QUOTE]

Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of the first games released, and have the original pokemon you're familiar with, and some of the extra pokemon and some bonus area's added in the remake. After you get them, you should get Heart Gold and Soul Silver, which are remakes of 2nd set of pokemon games, and are considered by many to be the best version of Pokemon(Black and White may claim that title now). They also allow you to visit the original Pokemon region from the Red/Blue/Yellow/Green games. You can also transfer your Pokemon from Fire Red/ Leaf Green to Heart Gold/ Soul Silver through the pal park. You can then transfer those pokemon to Black/White if you choose to get one of those games.

I'd suggest just getting Fire Red/Leaf Green and Heart Gold/Soul Silver.Hold off on the others, since we'll see remakes of Ruby/Sapphire and the 3rd version of Black/White the games coming out within the next 2-3 years. Pokemon Platinum might be an option, since Pokemon Diamond/Pearl probably won't see remakes for another 6-7 years. But really, unless you become a pokemon fanatic you'll not miss much by skipping over it.

Always go for the 3rd version's of Pokemon games when you can, those will give you the most bang for your buck. So you want emerald, platinum, fire red or leaf green, heart gold or soul silver and white or black. You can migrate pokemon from the GBA games to the DS games if you have a DS or a DS Lite. This feature is not available on the DSi because it does not have a GBA slot. If you are planning on playing Pokemon to any extent, make sure you have the right system. If you are considering a DSi and plan on playing Pokemon to any extent you may want to reconsider and buy a DS Lite.

The GBA Pokemon games will still play even if the batteries die, however time based events like berries will not happen (berries won't grow). Also I assume you won't be able to get espeon and umbreon in R/S/E since those require day and night.

The pokemon game will tell you when the battery is dead, it will tell you upon startup of the game so if you are buying you could always quickly test the game at the store with a GBA or DS/DS Lite.

For R/S/E pokemon games on GBA, the games will still save after the battery dies but all of the above still applies.

For other GBA games, most will not save if the battery dies making them effectively useless.

So, are there any good RPGs for the advance other than...

1) The Golden Sun series
2) FF Tactics
3) Final Fantasy ports

So far the only thing vaguely interesting I've seen is Fire Emblem; I'm trying to avoid reprints of games that I already have for the most part.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']So, are there any good RPGs for the advance other than...

1) The Golden Sun series
2) FF Tactics
3) Final Fantasy ports

So far the only thing vaguely interesting I've seen is Fire Emblem; I'm trying to avoid reprints of games that I already have for the most part.[/QUOTE]

As you noted, both Fire Emblems are GREAT, especially if you like RPGs.

[quote name='Rozz']Lunar Legend is also worth playing.[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion, the Shining Force advance doesn't look half-bad either :)

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']So, are there any good RPGs for the advance other than...

1) The Golden Sun series
2) FF Tactics
3) Final Fantasy ports

So far the only thing vaguely interesting I've seen is Fire Emblem; I'm trying to avoid reprints of games that I already have for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Advance Wars I+II

Hoping for the Pokemon games price drop to compliment my copy of HeartGold. I might pick up some of the Mario games that I don't have if they price drop too.

My suggestions:
Advance Wars I, II
Castlevania: NES, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Harmony of Dissonance, or the Double Pack
Metroid Zero Mission, Fusion
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls, IV, V, VI
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World, Super Mario Advance 4: Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart Super Curcuit
Bookworm
River City Ransom Ex
Lady Sia
Wario Ware Inc.
Wario Ware Twisted
Drill Dozer

Yikes... this price drop isn't all that hot. Those prices seem way too high, especially for the Mario games. I was hoping for a B2G2 or something instead of a price drop.

bread's done
Back