Gamestop Gameday Sale April 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='xrickyb86x']Hey if you guys do get a gutted copy that looks a little shitty or if you just want to try this...

Mention the "SHOPWORN" discount. Automatically takes 10% off anything. I think it has to be used on each individual item so if you get three gutted games request it for all three.

Chances are many part time or new GS employees wont even know it exists. They don't fucking tell employees it's there but it is. If you get a manager or assistant manager they'll know exactly what it is.

It's usually used on guides that are pretty beat up from being on the shelf.

Also, they might try to weasel their way out of using it as corporate fucking hates it. We would get e mails telling us we were using too many in a given week.[/quote]

Typically, if you can manage to find an employee who used to work for EB (like me), they'll know about this, and possibly even offer it without prompting (again, that TOTALLY depends on the quality of the store). Unfortunately, like xricky says, GS corporate is way more up employees asses for providing good customer service than EB was---that is to say, GS's policies do not promote good customer service in the store (just promoting sales isn't the same thing). EB, despite your normal corporate crap, truly was about creating a lasting relationship with customers. GS is ... well, I don't know what they are. Confused, honestly. Sadly, because of EB's more liberal policies, you'll find less and less of those employees at GS---either because they have "moved on" or were assimilated.

I managed an EB years ago and have since moved on to a more career-oriented FT job, but seeing what comes down from GS corporate is just depressing at times, even for a piddly 4 hour a week PT employee like me.

R.I.P. EB Games. :cry:

All that said, the Gamedays sale is often far better than Black Friday (last year was, anyway), so I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and remember---if a game's been gutted, for god's sake, ask to see the disk before you buy it! Why take it on blind faith and have to bitch about it later? Watch out for your own self.

If I gave everyone a 10% discount on every gutted game I sell just because the game was removed from the case and put in the files, I would be fired in two days.

The shopworn discount is supposed to be for products that wouldn't sell otherwise because the case/product is in a bad, unsellable condition. At my store, the manager (who really is all about custom service) allows it for ratty guides, accessories that have been opened and returned, and new games that are missing the original cases and manuals (like when they've been stolen).

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']If I gave everyone a 10% discount on every gutted game I sell just because the game was removed from the case and put in the files, I would be fired in two days.
[/quote]

Totally. I didn't care too much. If they fired me for pleasing customers because GS has shitty policies on "new" games then fuck it. At least, that was my mentality. Like I said, I tried to do it under the radar but if it came down to it... That job sucked anyway.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']new games that are missing the original cases and manuals (like when they've been stolen).[/QUOTE]

what? that takes the idea of newness to a place I've never heard of

[quote name='vherub']what? that takes the idea of newness to a place I've never heard of
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

LMAO!!!

I don't think Newness comes into that concept. I used to deal in games like this, and new is the WRONG word for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't trying to continue the talk so much about gutted games, I was more just trying to discuss them selling the games as used even though they were new, just because of the legality aspect. I did not know they did this before.

[quote name='TimPV3']Yes, anybody who sells a new game as used should serve time. I think selling games in perfect condition as used is right up there with rape and littering.[/quote]
It's not wrong toward the consumer, but it could be wrong toward the publisher. And it definitely would be wrong if they raised the prices and the publisher didn't get a cut.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What they "should" do was not the discussion at hand. We were discussing the legality of what they do. And considering no one has attempted to stop them, it apparently is legal, until we get proof otherwise.[/quote]
Yup. Even if it was illegal it doesn't happen enough for a publisher to get into a big thing with Gamestop, it would do more hurt to the publisher than help them. Besides publishers, no one else is going to do anything about it. It would have to happen all the time for some action to be taken.

Daddybojangles interesting stuff.

[quote name='weeitzme']Does anybody know if this will be better than the b2g1 free(http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/b2g1/)?[/quote]
It usually also has a b2g1f as part of it for used. This also has new games 50% off, you can't compare them directly. I would say b2g1f is better, but if this still has that then its better.

here is a listing of presumed gameday sale items as we've received large quanitys of these, with no reason as to why, prices are retail I whould assume 1/2 off more to come

ds - dinosaur KING 29.99
line rider 2 - 19.99
mario and sonic at olympics (also on last years sale)
Metal Slug 7 - 19.99
my baby boy 29.99
touchmaster 2 29.99
PSP Iron man 19.99
360 Call of Duty 24.99
juiced 2 - 19.99
wii - Game party 2 - 29.99
NARUTO Clash of ninja 29.99
sonic unleashed 49.99 (we received alot of these)
p2 avatar buring earth 19.99

no ps3 sent out yet but i will keep updated

[quote name='62t']thanks for the head up. Metal Slug 7 at 50% off looks like a great deal[/quote]

I agree. If this is in the sale, I might just have to give these guys my business again.

[quote name='emceelokey']Metal Slug doesn't retail at $20? I thought that was one of the big selling points about the game?[/quote]

The OP said the prices he listed are retail.

Kind of doubt this is it, guys. The OP said he assumes these are part of the sale. Doesn't mean there isn't anything else. Last year's list was way bigger than this.

Anybody ever get Sonic Unleashed, I kinda enjoyed the demo. Is it worth $25 though, I would think more like $15 would be a good deal.

Also, what about Metal Slug 7, what system is it for? I have the Metal Slug collection on Wii and loved that.

A game from three and half years ago isn't exactly ancient. It would be worth it, because it was just a fun game. Problem is, $12.50 still isn't that great a deal. CoD2 has been on clearance for less in a number of places over the years. But I guess if you've missed it, this still isn't terrible.

Thanks for the info OP, but this belongs in the Game Day discussion thread. This is still pure speculation at this point.

[quote name='BiggyP2P']Why would COD 2 be a part of this list when its ancient? Doesn't even seem worth it..[/QUOTE]
They probably found a bunch of them stacked in a corner of the warehouse and need to clear out the space.

It's still too far away to guess. There will be an influx of product coming into the store at the end of the month. Last year was the same in that product did not show up into stores until the week before the sale started and stores may be replenished throughout the sale on some items.

Hopefully there's some better stuff to come. I can't say I'm surprised by the list but we shall see. Thanks for keeping us updated.

[quote name='arcurifisher']the call of duty is number 2 - sorry about that[/quote]
When the hell did CoD 2 jump up to be so much?! Jesus, GameStop!

[quote name='arcurifisher']here is a listing of presumed gameday sale items as we've received large quanitys of these, with no reason as to why, prices are retail I whould assume 1/2 off more to come

ds - dinosaur KING 29.99
line rider 2 - 19.99
mario and sonic at olympics (also on last years sale)
Metal Slug 7 - 19.99
my baby boy 29.99
touchmaster 2 29.99
PSP Iron man 19.99
360 Call of Duty 24.99
juiced 2 - 19.99
wii - Game party 2 - 29.99
NARUTO Clash of ninja 29.99
sonic unleashed 49.99 (we received alot of these)
p2 avatar buring earth 19.99

no ps3 sent out yet but i will keep updated[/QUOTE]

dinosuar king is a okay game (lame pokemon rip off) i do not think these will be all 50% off.. I can see between 25 to50% i thinki very few games were 50%off last year...

i got my din. king game for free off goozex... still got to playit

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Did it jump up, or has it been that price at GS for awhile? I wouldn't be surprised.[/quote]
I think it may have jumped when World at War came out, because it used to be below $12.99. That and GameStop has a tendency to raise prices on used games before their sequels come out.

[quote name='Wonka the Troll']
Also, what about Metal Slug 7, what system is it for? I have the Metal Slug collection on Wii and loved that.[/quote]

DS.

[quote name='SDC']Heads up: Metal Slug 7 is indeed $20 right now on EB/GS.com[/quote]

MS7 has been $19.99 new/$17.99 used at GS for a while now. I wouldn't even wait for a further discount on MS7. I would buy it for $10. I hope the OP is right about this game being included in the sale.

Dinosaur King is a good game if you like RPG's and can stand games targeted to a child audience. This game's difficulty is definitely not targeted for children though, as you have to actually think to play it and there is no strategy guide or walkthrough FAQ out there. All the gamestop stores in my area are sold out of it, so its very possible that it could be included in the sale. Its been 19.99 on Amazon for a while though, and I purchased a copy for around 12$ on ebay.

Did anyone else notice the Game days sale coupon in the newest issue of Game Informer?! Its right by the April Calender before the Bioshock 2 cover story. Seems it's an extra 10% off on all game days sale items. Plus the ad states game days sale starts on 4/5/09

Don't know if this is old or new since I just finally got my April issue of Game Informer.

[quote name='SaraAB']Dinosaur King is a good game if you like RPG's and can stand games targeted to a child audience. This game's difficulty is definitely not targeted for children though, as you have to actually think to play it and there is no strategy guide or walkthrough FAQ out there. All the gamestop stores in my area are sold out of it, so its very possible that it could be included in the sale. Its been 19.99 on Amazon for a while though, and I purchased a copy for around 12$ on ebay.[/quote]

Amazon had it for lightning deal on Feb 19 for 9.99 which I scored my copy.

I am hoping to get MS 7 .. much like every Gameday sale, just 1 title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back