Gamestop Gameday Sale April 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Last year's stuff was not amazing, but there was still some decent stuff to be had, especially if you waited for them to drop the prices further. NBA Street Homecourt for $10 on the 360 was not bad.[/quote]

I know, that game is a decent bargain bin game, what was the sale that i got prey for 3.19 for? and the other one i wanted odin sphere.

i grabbed katamari damacy and odin sphere for 30$ last year, but they were gutted so it was as good as used. gamestop sucks so much, i hope amazon would put retail shops

Good stuff. My b-day is on the 6th, and my wife is getting me a game for my b-day. Hopefully, there's a good Wii or DS game that I can pick up for cheap...

[quote name='Nirron']Not sure. When does their fiscal year end? [/quote]
Pretty sure their fiscal years have ended end of JAN beginning of FEB for the last few years. It shows it on their corporate page.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']Oh also, don't be surprised if a lot of these items are gutted (new games opened up to be displayed). I believe last year we were instructed to gut all games so the bins look full. We didn't, but a lot of stores did.[/QUOTE]

All the games are already gutted at my Gamestop stores so its not like it matters, I don't think they have any sealed games in there as they have racks of more than one copy of each new game that are gutted, they seem to put out every copy of every game they have.

I personally never heard of this before, but games Im hoping to find 50% off cause I dont want to pay more than 30 for them each.

Midnight Club LA
COD: WAW
Tales of Vesperia
Prince of Persia
Saints Row 2
Need For Speed Undercover

I remember getting Brave Story ($20), Katamari Damacy ($10), and Def Jam Icon ($10) last year... I was pretty surprised that they had some decent games.

Looking forward to this year's sale.

I got Brave Story last year for $9.99. It was the only one in the lot of games and I read on CAG that it was $19.99. The guy was incredibly pissed that someone priced it wrong and I was like, 'sorry' and whipped out $10.50.

[quote name='SaraAB']All the games are already gutted at my Gamestop stores so its not like it matters, I don't think they have any sealed games in there as they have racks of more than one copy of each new game that are gutted, they seem to put out every copy of every game they have.[/quote]
Last year, at the 2 or 3 Gamestops I went to, the sale games were all sealed, and thrown in a sale bin in the store. I was pleasantly surprised that the games were still sealed.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Yesssss! I've been waiting for a B2G1F sale. I've got like $180 in GameStop credit.[/quote]

So have I, mate...but unfortunately don't look like we'll be getting one any time soon. This sale seems to be as good as it gets for awhile. :twisted:

[quote name='loafing...']Didn't they have a similar event later in the year? I remember catching The Darkness and Prey for $15 total but it was more like Sept-Oct I believe.[/quote]

I remember seeing Prey for 4 bucks and The Darkness for 8 bucks...Cant remember when though...

[quote name='xrickyb86x']Oh also, don't be surprised if a lot of these items are gutted (new games opened up to be displayed). I believe last year we were instructed to gut all games so the bins look full. We didn't, but a lot of stores did.[/quote]

Yeah, was very annoyed that I couldn't find any sealed new copies at all of the stores I visited last time (don't understand why they had to gut EVERY single copy and not even keep one sealed copy behind the counter)

I really hope they won't gut the games like they did last year. I picked up some games and the discs had fingerprints all over and some even had tiny scratches.

[quote name='eau']I really hope they won't gut the games like they did last year. I picked up some games and the discs had fingerprints all over and some even had tiny scratches.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but according to Gamestop the games are still new even with fingerprints and scratches.

Last year, one store in my area put the sealed games in the bin while the other 8 gutted all the games in the bin. Guess which store got my business.

Alright, two months early! It was actually this sale that brought me to this site in the first place, so it holds a special place in my heart :). I was looking for the list of games last year, and these forums popped up in search results, and the rest is history.

I made out pretty well last year with the PS2 games, and I'm hoping there will be some games worth getting this year, too. Luckily, my local Gamestop didn't gut all the copies of their games since the manager thought it was just unnecessary work. That was also the first time I went to that store, since I had just moved, but I've since befriended said manager, so I can always ask him to leave me some sealed copies if they're supposed to get gutted ;).

About the only thing I ended up buying during the sale last year was a bunch of Harry Potter to go to Blockbuster.

[quote name='daminion']Also remember that towards the end of the sale they will drop the gamedays stuff even lower.[/quote]

This year, I'll wait for the drop towards the end. Last year, I remember I picked up some stuff in the first week, only to see much of it still there towards the end at a lower price.

Funny thing is, everything that does not sell gets dropped permanently to the discounted price or moved to USED.

Call it a sale if you want, I see it a reason for them to clean out their warehouses.

i absolutely hate that they gut their games. i understand that it's for theft prevention purposes, but still..

last year i picked up nervous brickdown, worms 2, monster hunter freedom 2, and brave traveler. overall, the titles that they put out aren't great, but not half bad.

also, towards the end of their game days sale, they dropped the prices even further.

I remember getting Odin Sphere and a bunch of psp games. It will probably be some old sports games and a bunch of weak 360 games

[quote name='NismoZZzz']Funny thing is, everything that does not sell gets dropped permanently to the discounted price or moved to USED.

Call it a sale if you want, I see it a reason for them to clean out their warehouses.[/quote]

All right. So, who cares about the semantics? Either way, we get cheap games. People flock to clearance threads. I don't care what they call it.

[quote name='NismoZZzz']Funny thing is, everything that does not sell gets dropped permanently to the discounted price or moved to USED.

Call it a sale if you want, I see it a reason for them to clean out their warehouses.[/quote]

Wouldn't other stores just call that a clearance SALE?

I go into work a little later today, I'll check and see if we got any new information about the sale items and I'll post them today if there is any!

[quote name='Chowe05']I go into work a little later today, I'll check and see if we got any new information about the sale items and I'll post them today if there is any![/quote]

Excellent!

I'm pretty sure they reprinted Katamari Damacy specifically for that sale, so I wouldn't call it cleaning out there wherehouse. And as others pointed out, they're still on sale prices, which I'd say makes it a sale.

[quote name='RobMinhas']is this at eb games too?[/quote]

Yes. EB Games IS GameStop. Same company. Same store. Different names. Anything that ever happens at any GameStop is also happening at EB Games. Forever.

A business using a sale to clear out stock in a warehouse??? Why sir, you must be mad! I have never heard of this before. I thought a business just had sales to befriend new customers?

[quote name='NismoZZzz']

C'mon dude that's what 99% of "sales" are. You drinkin haterade.

Anyway, Think of games released in the last year that should have sold really well but didn't and you'll get a pretty good idea of what the list of games will be. So I doubt we'll see CoD WoW but I have a feeling Midnight Club LA will be in there.

[quote name='NismoZZzz']I see it a reason for them to clean out their warehouses.[/QUOTE]

Someone from Gamestop can chime in and correct me on this if I am wrong, but I believe the items for sale come from a new or recent wholesale buy, not from their existing stock or warehouses. This is why sometimes you will find the same game outside the sale bin on the shelves but not marked down, because the sale stock is a diff SKU.

The intention is for Gamestop, to turn a profit on a wholesale lot, but primarily to generate foot traffic into the store from infrequent customers, or customers who prefer to buy new, or from the big box B&Ms. If non-Gamestop customers come in for the sale, it gives GS an opp to convert them into frequent customers and buyers of used games.

[quote name='donssword']Someone from Gamestop can chime in and correct me on this if I am wrong, but I believe the items for sale come from a new or recent wholesale buy, not from their existing stock or warehouses. [/quote]

Yes, I believe this is the case, as well. This means you'll also see lots of games from certain companies, as well. For example, I remember SEGA had a bunch of stuff last year, such as Sonic Rush, House of the Dead, Superstar Tennis, and Mario & Sonic Olympics. This probably means that first-party games won't be on sale, so not much chance on Halo 3 or Mario Galaxy on sale.

[quote name='donssword']This is why sometimes you will find the same game outside the sale bin on the shelves but not marked down, because the sale stock is a diff SKU. [/quote]

Yes and no. The games are usually outside the sale bins because they were already on the shelves when the new Gameday shipments came in stock. However, they will still ring up as the Gameday sale price, even if it's not from the bin. I'm almost positive the SKUs are still the same.

Also, this means that many of the games may still be available with shrink wrap (I.E. not gutted) when the sale first starts, but employees will sell those to customers first, so if you want a fresh copy, don't wait for the prices to go down a second time.

Most likely, GameStop corporate will instruct stores to gut the games so that they can be displayed at the front in the bins (where things are easily stolen). Additionally, they will get a bunch of special price stickers (that are more sticky than they should be) that need to go on the gutted cases. Everyone I know who works at GameStop hates these stickers with every gaming fiber in them, but there's really nothing we can do about it.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']Yes and no. The games are usually outside the sale bins because they were already on the shelves when the new Gameday shipments came in stock. However, they will still ring up as the Gameday sale price, even if it's not from the bin. I'm almost positive the SKUs are still the same.[/quote]

You're correct.

GS's annual sale is the only time I willingly set foot in their stores all year. The past few times they've dug out some hard to find games and had tons of copies of things like Castlevania Double Pack and Champions Return to Arms, so I'm hoping for a few rare gems this time too. Too bad most stores have to gut ALL 25+ copies in the bin making it impossible to get a sealed version of anything.

[quote name='Big Nine']Where is this info from? As far as I can tell nobody on the store level has heard anything yet.[/QUOTE]

this is not a 100% confirmation or anything, but when i was trading in games yesterday, a bit on the in-store radio/tv loop mentioned something up the upcoming gameday sale.

Sorry, no news today, but as soon as I find out the info I'll let ya know.....Back to the games, I've seen some Gems in the Bins during the Gameday Sale and there are some good PC Games and Accessories from time to time.....the B2G1 Free is a nice deal though and that will surely be going on! Other than that, there are always a shit ton of horrible Sonic games that will be making an appearance I'm sure!

[quote name='J7.']instore radio/tv loop?[/QUOTE]

yeah, you know how they run that footage on the tvs in the store all day, "previews" and such (which are all just ad buys). anyway, one of the gamestop talking heads said something about the gameday sale coming up. i did not catch specifics, but imagine it would be soon, if there were talking about on the promo reel.

[quote name='Jackrabbit$lim']I've never heard of this before. Can someone explain it, and/or tell me what games might be available?[/quote]
Gamestop clears out games that have too many of (popular games that did not sell well) and gets additional shipments of these types of games. They price them fairly low and throw them in a bin. All new games, not used. They also do a B2G1F on used games at that time. Many stores gut the new games in the bins. Last year one of the highlights for how good of a deal it was, was Monster Hunter 1 or 2 (forget which) for PSP.

[quote name='ecmazza']yeah, you know how they run that footage on the tvs in the store all day, "previews" and such (which are all just ad buys). anyway, one of the gamestop talking heads said something about the gameday sale coming up. i did not catch specifics, but imagine it would be soon, if there were talking about on the promo reel.[/quote]
Oh, I've only actually seen that at a gamestop once before and I thought it was just game videos, didn't realize they actually announce anything on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back