Not open for further replies.
Current Ad is 6/13 - 6/19

Weekly Ad:
http://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/061318/pdf/OLFSI_061318.pdf

​Current Trade in Promos:

​
Get $100 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Wii U, 3DS XL, or PS Vita
Until 6/17​
 ​
Get $150 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Xbox One Original
Until 6/17​
 ​
 ​
Get $250 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Xbox One Slim or PS4
Until 6/17​
 ​
 ​
Get $300 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro
Until 6/17​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Get up to 40% Extra Trade Credit When You Trade Toward XBOX / ITUNES / PS currencies (ending 7/6)

40% total bonus from BASE for Elite
30% total bonus from BASE for Pro

20% total bonus from BASE for everyone else

​
Get $20 guaranteed when trading select titles toward any new pre-order or purchase.
Valid until 6/17
*item being pre-ordered must be 39.99 or higher
ELIGIBLE GAMES....
https://www.gamestop.com/trade/Browse/N-0Z1z13laj?Ntt=guartmay18

Get $80 guaranteed for ANY PS3 system traded toward a new PS4
Valid until 6/17

​
25% extra credit on any hardware traded
Valid until 6/17​

​
Get $5 Extra Toward Your Pre-Order When You Trade a PS4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch Game
Valid until 6/17​
Min trade value of $2

Limit 1 $5 per preorder

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of a game (per system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?

​​
the console, power cable, av cable, and controller; sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3ds xl trade would be console, charger, stylus. Some have reported being charged refurb fee for a stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)​

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.​

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO

ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.[/background][/size][/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought three games during the last b2g1 and I'm not sure if I want to keep one of the titles. How would the return work? Assume all three were the same price

Kingdoms Hearts PS4 collection is on sale at GS for $20.... do I "need" to play these as a JRPG and RPG fan? Is it legit JRPG stuff or more of an adventure/disney story game than RPG.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/kingdom-hearts-15-25-remix/138293
If you are a fan of the genre then yes you need to play them in my opinion. I haven't played them since ps2 so not really sure how they hold up. They're not turn base and more action oriented but they are great games.

I bought three games during the last b2g1 and I'm not sure if I want to keep one of the titles. How would the return work? Assume all three were the same price
YMMV, I've returned some retro stuff I ordered online through B2G1F and received full price back on a single game return when they sent me a fake.

YMMV, I've returned some retro stuff I ordered online through B2G1F and received full price back on a single game return when they sent me a fake.
Yea, the employee has to do a bunch of manual calculations and price changes. If they are feeling generous/lazy they can just do a straight return on the original price. I doubt they'll do that for a large price tag game though.

Yea, the employee has to do a bunch of manual calculations and price changes. If they are feeling generous/lazy they can just do a straight return on the original price. I doubt they'll do that for a large price tag game though.
I assumed it had more to do with the employee paying attention to the packing list. The game I had to return was Bucky O'Hare and it's a pretty pricey one. Also, I had paid in trade credit and the employee never asked me any questions and handed me cash back - so I'm chalking that whole transaction up to inexperience.

I assumed it had more to do with the employee paying attention to the packing list. The game I had to return was Bucky O'Hare and it's a pretty pricey one. Also, I had paid in trade credit and the employee never asked me any questions and handed me cash back - so I'm chalking that whole transaction up to inexperience.
That is pretty surprising... both that you returned Bucky O'Hare - and the whole return for cash thing. I would love to have a copy of Bucky O'Hare again. Amazing game.

That is pretty surprising... both that you returned Bucky O'Hare - and the whole return for cash thing. I would love to have a copy of Bucky O'Hare again. Amazing game.
I took the game apart to see if the board was legit Nintendo board and it was, but when I tested the game, Top Gun came on. Someone swapped out the board so I returned it. Retro is mostly what I spend my trade credit on so it's nothing new to me.

Just this week I had to return Castlevania Dracula X - that one was a complete fake and you could tell by the label. In this case though, the associate didn't know how to return the game back to corporate without it "hurting his store" since it was a $130 return so he called them first. They told him it was a trade credit purchase so that's how I got my refund - fine with me though, I'm just glad they have a good in-store return policy.

I took the game apart to see if the board was legit Nintendo board and it was, but when I tested the game, Top Gun came on. Someone swapped out the board so I returned it. Retro is mostly what I spend my trade credit on so it's nothing new to me.

Just this week I had to return Castlevania Dracula X - that one was a complete fake and you could tell by the label. In this case though, the associate didn't know how to return the game back to corporate without it "hurting his store" since it was a $130 return so he called them first. They told him it was a trade credit purchase so that's how I got my refund - fine with me though, I'm just glad they have a good in-store return policy.
That sucks. Its a shame they'll probably just throw away the original game shell now because of that shady past owner.

I collect a lot of retro, but I try to limit myself to only buying things I find at thrift stores/pawn shops - or else I would fall into a trade credit hole I would never ever get out of.

Gamestop should've never reentered the "retro" gaming market.

Seems like GameStop nuked the values on a lot of retro stuff, Mario World and DKC have $2 bases when I was getting 15-20 for them before. I don’t see earthbound in their system either so I bet they are weeding out some games that are faked often.

Seems like GameStop nuked the values on a lot of retro stuff, Mario World and DKC have $2 bases when I was getting 15-20 for them before. I don’t see earthbound in their system either so I bet they are weeding out some games that are faked often.
Probably the most commonly traded stuff. I know myself I traded in around 15-20 copies of Mario World over the course of last year. I don't believe Earthbound was ever on their list, at least not as long as I have been keeping track, but I do know that in the case of Genesis games Musha and Crusader of Centy were on the list but have been nuked as of about 2-3 months ago or so.

I have gotten from gamestop earthbound, mega man x2,chrono trigger, sunset riders and final fight 2 and 3. All Legits. The good about this is that I used trade credit from flipping to get those games. I did notice that earthbound and other heavy hitters got delisted for trade ins. But earthbound has popped up all this week around 4 when they update their system.

If this is the last time they’re gonna remaster those games, I’ll bite now
I don't think there's much more they can do with them. Digital Foundry States the KH 1.5 + 2.5 collection is NATIVE 4k and at 60fps on PS4 Pro. Not sure if there are any frame drops (I'd hope not since they're PS2/PSP/3DS games), so end of the road.

I would love to be wrong though, and they port it to PC. I wouldn't be surprised if they ported it to Xbox One after the 3nd game comes out.

Kingdoms Hearts PS4 collection is on sale at GS for $20.... do I "need" to play these as a JRPG and RPG fan? Is it legit JRPG stuff or more of an adventure/disney story game than RPG.

Considering this game is also on their guaranteed $20 list, it wouldn't hurt to pick it up and then trade it back in for something else if you don't like it. It is worth at least a try as a Final Fantasy fan.

That said, the combat is about as much JRPG as something like, say, Devil May Cry, so they might not be up your alley. Although the main story is a whole lot more Final Fantasy than Disney.

I would say they are must play. They are pure hack and slash/ action RPG as far as gameplay goes. There's not a lot of adventuring aspects to the first game, and even less so for the sequel/ spin offs. You're mostly moving through rooms defeating waves of enemies. You also have quite a few Final fantasy spells at your disposal, Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Cure, ect. to give it even more of a JRPG feel.

The over-story is also pretty standard JRPG stuff, but of course it is interrupted at each world you travel to by the plot of a Disney movie. How much you'll enjoy this aspect kind of depends on nostalgia. The movie plots are hyper condensed and sometimes make little sense unless you've seen the movies in question. With the sequel the main plot becomes much more complex, and will be hard to follow unless you play the multiple spin off games included with the collection. Some people love the story, but I think it's one of the weakest parts of the franchise.

If this is the last time they’re gonna remaster those games, I’ll bite now
The load times are atrocious on the PS3 collection. This port fixes that and runs at 60FPS. Unless they go back and implement some sort of major changes/ additions in a PS5 release this is just about as good as it gets from a technical standpoint.

Probably the most commonly traded stuff. I know myself I traded in around 15-20 copies of Mario World over the course of last year. I don't believe Earthbound was ever on their list, at least not as long as I have been keeping track, but I do know that in the case of Genesis games Musha and Crusader of Centy were on the list but have been nuked as of about 2-3 months ago or so.
Does gamestop ban people if they pass a certain amount of trade of the same game? or what do you recommend if i want to trade 5 copies of the same one? because i think one store allows 2 or 3 of the same game, if i trade at another store the other ones would they ban me?

Does gamestop ban people if they pass a certain amount of trade of the same game? or what do you recommend if i want to trade 5 copies of the same one? because i think one store allows 2 or 3 of the same game, if i trade at another store the other ones would they ban me?
One per sku per store per day. No more than 4 of a single sku in a rolling 30-day period. So that's me going to a few stores in a day, waiting a month and a few days, and repeating it in that case. Even if the store allows you to trade in multiples of an identical item, you will get a 90-day trade ban. The system will say "trade limit exceeded" but not tell you why. Except in extraordinary circumstances they will not remove this or tell you exactly why if you call CS. So if you have a bunch of doubles of stuff to bring in, keep careful track.

There is also a trade-limit cap of $2k credit and $500 cash per rolling 30-days.

I got a couple bans early on when I exceeded both and was just learning the ropes. One store let me trade in $3k worth of retro consoles and a few months later another let me trade in 20 or so SNES systems. Probably got a ban the first time, I did not check, but I know I did the second time because I kept going back to try and trade a few games.

This is just what I know of the system. If I am incorrect on any of these I am happy to be set straight or edit the info.

In both of those cases I am told the employee who allowed me to do those trades was fired. I had no idea, though. I went in at the time and said "here's these systems, but I have XX more at home, is there a limit?" and they were all gung-ho to have me go get them.

I have gotten from gamestop earthbound, mega man x2,chrono trigger, sunset riders and final fight 2 and 3. All Legits. The good about this is that I used trade credit from flipping to get those games. I did notice that earthbound and other heavy hitters got delisted for trade ins. But earthbound has popped up all this week around 4 when they update their system.
4am EST?

Hope this wasn't asked and I missed it. If I have three xbox or ps4 games to trade towards 3 preorders, can it be done in one transaction or have to be three?

I've had bad luck with buying Chrono Trigger from them. Purchased two separate times and both were fakes. Maybe third time's the charm...

One copy per transaction. No more than 4 copies total per rolling 31 days.

Spoke with an associate and he told me he thinks the promo has something to do with the Sony play days. He mentioned Friday as a possible start date for the promo.

Also, I've seen a few CAGers ask this before but you're still able to buy southwest gift cards with trade credit. I bought one yesterday after juggling a few of my pre-orders and leftover credit.
Mole! tell your gamestop masters to announce the promo already!

Company is run by morans. Hastings 2.0 in the making.
I posted something similar in the Hastings Alumni FB group, and was told by people that would genuinely know that Comics was a money maker for them, so I suspect this might expand to chain-wide. The death of Hastings was due to many reasons, from not trying to diversify until two of their three pillars were dying or dead, as well as gross incompetence on the part of the person that bought the chain from the company founder.

SL showed me the new tiered purchase promo starts tomorrow. I didn't get a good look, just saw the best deal was if you purchase 5 games they'll be 40% off (for Elite, Pro was 30% off).

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention it was for used games, of course

SL showed me the new tiered purchase promo starts tomorrow. I didn't get a good look, just saw the best deal was if you purchase 5 games they'll be 40% off (for Elite, Pro was 30% off).

GameStop tweeted this today it’s off used games. 3+ up to30% off 5+ up to 40% off it’s valid 6/8-6/10

The site is showing a $200 trade in value for the switch console...Does anyone know if that includes the 25% bonus going on right now or no?  I'm picking a used one with 3 games up tomorrow for $225, and would like to flip it for a new system if the TiV is $250.  Thanks.

Hopefully they let you buy and return at a different store because finding five games at one store will be tough.

The site is showing a $200 trade in value for the switch console...Does anyone know if that includes the 25% bonus going on right now or no? I'm picking a used one with 3 games up tomorrow for $225, and would like to flip it for a new system if the TiV is $250. Thanks.
It's without. The site will not show you values with promos other than the ordinary pro/elite values it will show on the trade value page.

GameStop tweeted this today it’s off used games. 3+ up to30% off 5+ up to 40% off it’s valid 6/8-6/10
LkslxkF.jpg
What's the catch though (besides having to buy 5+ games). That's better than b2g1. Watch they put all the switch stuff in the back room until this weekend's over.

What's the catch though (besides having to buy 5+ games). That's better than b2g1. Watch they put all the switch stuff in the back room until this weekend's over.
Not quite. I believe what the up to refers to is a tiered discount of basic/pro/elite.

3+ games gets 10%/20%/30% off
5+ games gets 20%/30%/40% off

A b2g1 with elite is worth maximum of 46.6% if and only if all games are the same price. The way this is better than a b2g1 is that it applies across all games regardless of price of the individual games. 40% on all 5+ games. With a b2g1 the further apart the price of the games the less the percent off.

I guess the one way to maximize this is buy 1 top tier swith game and 4 $1 for total of $36.60 (not including tax if applicable). Then hold the switch game for the 70% trade bonus and trade it back for $51.

If they know we know this, they're essentially setting us up as mules to clear out thier $1 games.

All I want is good TIV and 70% bonus. I've had Odyssey and XC2 for months. I'm getting paranoid that the TIV will drop due to the games constantly being on sale.

Looks like their days of play sale page is up, even though prices aren't adjusted yet. I see the Skyrim VR bundle on there so hopefully I was right about it dropping along with the Doom one.
The prices are live. You just need to add it to your cart to see the correct price.

I see the Doom/Skyrim bundles now listed as $200/$250 on their splash page. It just needed to slowly be updated with the sale prices.

buy 4 get extra 20% off preowned is live on site, but it's not a real stack. it's 20% from your PUR status, then an additional 20% off. so for elite it's 36% (1 - 0.8 * 0.8).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back