gamestop not opening at midnight?!

luffy_kun

CAGiversary!
I was lead to believe Gamestop was opening at midnight for Wii. Now my guy at Gamestop says he heard today from "corporate" that they aren't doing a midnight launch. He's just as pissed as I am since he preordered one too so he's not just trying to screw with me... Anyone else hear anything?

^^^ Agreed.

They already put the fliers out in last month's Game Informer that there would be a midnight premier for Zelda, it only makes sense that they would give Wii's to the people who have em pre ordered. It does say in the fine print to call your local store for participation details and in areas where they didnt get many Wii's or its a rough neighbourhood it isnt profitable or safe to open at midnight.

I just paid off my Wii preorder today at the local EB and asked about their launch plans. They said that they weren't sure about what they're doing just yet and that I should call tomorrow to see what's up.

I went to the EB I preordered at about an hour ago and they are definitely doing a midnight launch. They're in a strip mall too, so I don't think they makes any sort of difference. As long as the store has it's own door to outside, the strip mall shouldn't be a factor.

[quote name='Kendal']Saddly, my store isn't going to do a Midnight Launch. I want one so bad. Also Frisky, those coon's nuts are massive.[/quote]
It's not a racoon.

Not sure what's going on with my EB (inside a mall). A couple of weeks ago they said they would either do a midnight release or open early on sunday.

Earlier this week I checked again and they said no midnight opening, no early opening - noon on sunday.

Then I picked up my Monkey Ball preorder and they said they were doing a midnight release.

?? I'll check with them saturday afternoon, but I get a different story depending on who I talk to. Hopefully the midnight thing happens so if anyting falls through I hit another store.

I called GameStop on Wednesday to find out how launch will proceed and asked if there would be a midnight launch. The employee tells me no. Just outright no. Didn't even sound like she thought about the answer.

Now I get a message from GameStop requesting that I call them back. I have a feeling it's going to be related to this midnight launch thing. The news says that GameStop is prepping for a midnight launch...

I can only hope.

The GS near me (Copely in Boston) was supposed to... but considering the current fiasco down there with the PS3... I dunno.

It is up to the store, because they are doing it here but they stated that their allotment is basically all pre-ordered. Again, your best bet is a larger retailer to get the consoles, GS/EB get a fraction of what they get.

I believe GameStop said there are 2000 stores doing midnight launches, which probably covers the majority of non-mall stores.

I just got a call from EB (with an appearance by Reggie) talking about the midnight launches, so I'm guessing my store is doing a midnight launch. :D

I got a pre recorded message from Gamestop saying see you tommorow. I call the store and ask if I should come tommorow or Sunday. He said Sunday. Its not in a mall so I'm going to call tommorow and make sure they arent opening at midnight. Cause they only give you 48 hours to pick it up and I dont want to get screwed Ive heard it happening before.

[quote name='goldeneye64']I got a pre recorded message from Gamestop saying see you tommorow. I call the store and ask if I should come tommorow or Sunday. He said Sunday. Its not in a mall so I'm going to call tommorow and make sure they arent opening at midnight. Cause they only give you 48 hours to pick it up and I dont want to get screwed Ive heard it happening before.[/quote]
Definitely call them tomorrow, as I called my EB to confirm the midnight release and they said that they are doing it as they found out probably about the same time that I got the call (blamed the manager's BS). He said that I should come down just before they officially close the store so that I or anyone else gets locked out of the mall, though they're not supposed to do because of this little event. So yeah, if you go the call, just call again before tomorrow night and get a confirmation or not that they're doing it.

I live in Sykesville MD (or Eldersburg)... they said they won't do a midnight launch despite what Reggie said when he called my house. Supposedly, there isn't enough man power. WTF?! But they said they will be opening up at 9am instead of 11am like they normally do on Sunday. At least I won't miss the Hughs vs. St Pierre fight on UFC. There is a Walmart on 26 that has a huge group of campers already braving the cold. I'll see them at 7am and rush to get some controllers!

I got the Reggie call, but my GS says no-go on the midnight launch. They are opening at 8am though, so meh.

I'm a little concerned because I got a voicemail from them today saying that they have my console but to make sure I get there early because they have a real limited supply of games and accessories... I pre-ordered my games AND accessories so I better get everything I ordered!

[quote name='Diiz']I got the Reggie call, but my GS says no-go on the midnight launch. They are opening at 8am though, so meh.[/QUOTE]
A lot of people got the automated call, even for stores not doing the midnight launch. I got it, and my store is definately not doing the midnight release. Corporate fuck-up.

If you have your accessories preordered, you should be fine. Only exceptions would be if they haven't arrived on time--no classic controllers yet at my store. Everything else came in, but in very low numbers and oly enough to fill reservations.

Regarding the accessories and preorders, there's a LOT of Zelda preorders.. not a lot of stock. So let's say that there's 75 preorders and 45 games. Those first 45 will get the game, the other 30 will have to wait until the next shipment.

As a side-note:

I was in Gamespot today & they had the Nintendo Brand Wi-Fi USB Dongle(used) for $19.99.

Might be worth picking up if your already there.

Im going to throw a fit if they are not doing a midnight sale for Wii tonight after the mailer I got to come celebrate the release of TTP at midnight and the Reggie call I got yesterday. Someones magazine rack is getting knocked over.

Considering my Gamestop only took eight Wii preorders, I don't blame them for not doing a Midnight Launch. They are opening an hour early tomorrow morning, however. I'd rather get it in daylight than the bewitching hour, to be honest (and I wouldn't be able to wait if they did open at Midnight).

Im going to throw a fit if they are not doing a midnight sale for Wii tonight after the mailer I got to come celebrate the release of TTP at midnight and the Reggie call I got yesterday. Someones magazine rack is getting knocked over.

The password is..."Impetuous".

Heh, I'm gonna have to get up early and make sure they aren't opening till 10. Probably a couple drive-bys early on. I gotta return some movies at Blockbuster next door anyway.

I'm only worried about not getting the second Wiimote/nunchuk and Zelda I preordered if they're short on those

[quote name='Bazz']Mine called me said they're doing it.[/QUOTE]

Well they should call if they ARE NOT doing it seeing as their automated called says yes.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Well they should call if they ARE NOT doing it seeing as their automated called says yes.[/quote]Well I just called to confirm and he picked up and said yes. As soon as he picked up the phone I knew they would be doing it.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Well they should call if they ARE NOT doing it seeing as their automated called says yes.[/quote]
Did you actually call them to see if they're doing it or are you assuming that they are?

My GS is opening at midnight. I don't have one pre-ordered, but I'm gonna stop by and get Zelda (don't have any more cash, gotta go credit). Me and the assistant manager are cool, so he's holding the last un-reserved copy for me. Score.

I'm only worried about not getting the second Wiimote/nunchuk and Zelda I preordered if they're short on those

I wouldn't worry too much about those items if you preordered them. They should (read: damned well better) have enough of a given item/game to fulfill all preorders...and probably then some (note that they stopped taking all Wii accessory preorders at the same time they reached their store allotment Wii limit).

I neglected to preorder a second Wiimote/nunchuk combo, but I'm getting there probably about a half an hour before store open to give myself a chance to get those items if they're available (the clerks were very noncommittal about what they'd have extras of and, if so, how many). My guess is that they get a handful of extra controllers of all shapes and sizes, as well as some more Wii Points cards.

P.S. Again, my GS is opening an hour early. I can't be too far from you, so I'm wondering if yours will be opening at 9, too.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Did you actually call them to see if they're doing it or are you assuming that they are?[/QUOTE]

When I preordered they said they were and it sounded possible as they are not a mall store. I later got a mailer from Nintendo talking about GS/EB having a Zelda TTP midnight open add to that the call I got about picking up the Wii at midnight from the automated line. Im excited to play Zelda TTP enough to stay up late,pay $60 for madcatz component cables,and spend $ at GS after I got screwed out of a DS and bumped back in line for PS3. Changing to a non-midnight release at the last second after a phone call saying they were would be the light to my fuse.

[quote name='jollydwarf']
P.S. Again, my GS is opening an hour early. I can't be too far from you, so I'm wondering if yours will be opening at 9, too.[/quote]I'm actually working on that assumption. The guy I talked to today was one of the new seasonal guys (is it sad that I know this, just by their voices?), so I'm not going to trust him to be on top of things particularly since he probably won't be working tomorrow.

I'll be there around 8:30 or 8:45 and see what happens.

bread's done
Back