GameStop Offering FREE $50 GC and B2G1 Used Promotion to DEHR PC Early Adopters

Jodou

Infamous
Feedback
12 (100%)
Just received this email, so it looks like GS is trying to make good on the whole OnLive fiasco:
[quote name='GameStop']Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Sincerely,
Paul Raines
CEO, GameStop[/QUOTE]

UPDATE: News Source

To Qualify For The $50 GC and B2G1 Promotion:
- Must have purchased Deus Ex: Human Revolution Standard Edition (YMMV on Augmented) for PC prior to 8/26 (does NOT exclude regular purchases)
- Must provide receipt or proof of purchase from online order
- Product does NOT need to have had the OnLive code removed to qualify; if it was sealed at purchase, you're still fully eligible

$50 GC is rung up as cash and totaled out. The employee is required to print a gift receipt for nightly counts as the register will be short $50 in cash.
B2G1 used is rung up with the lowest priced item marked down to a penny. There is no coupon issued for this, so you can work with your GS employee for a raincheck if you don't want to purchase immediately.

If you do not have your receipt, go to the store it was purchased and they will look up your information (1).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='radioactivez0r']They can take their apology and shove it. They don't even own up to what they did, just put all the blame on Square and point fingers.[/QUOTE]

Perfectly put. +1

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Yes, it is lame that you are trying to take advantage of an offer that wasn't intended for you.[/QUOTE]

Lame, yes.

What's lame is gamestop been ripping people off for years and we just like to take it in the tailpipe.

I only shop at gamestop if they have the promos like B2G1, etc or if im looking for a really old game.

Just because he wants to stick it to gamestop is his right to. Just like Gamestop did to the consumers.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Yeah, except no where in the Gamestop invoice does it specify if its for pre-orders, or for anyone picking up the PC version.

But nice try.[/QUOTE]

Someone else in this thread says you have to have made the purchase before 8/26 (and prove it on the receipt).

The apology itself sucks, but their offer is generous to customers.

Well I really do not PC game (mainly because my desktop CPU sucks) so it is hard to feel like I missed out. Great for those who were able to take advantage of this. I wonder how many people are actually getting this? The next game I get for PC will be Diablo III but that will mean getting a new computer also...time to start saving.

Just called my friend who is a manager at the local GS. As soon as I told him who it was, he said "calling about the 50 dollar GC eh?". They havent even figured out how to process these in their system yet, as corperate didn't give them any info on it, just an email stating they were gonna do it, and it was for regular editions. He's waiting right now to see if they can do it on augmented too, and how to do it in the system.

Props for Gamestop for doing something to "apologize" for their shady behavior, but it is still quite pathetic that even despite doing something good to customers, they are still being d-bags and victimizing themselves and bashing Square Enix. Seriously gamestop, get a clue, customers DON'T CARE about your problems with Square Enix, what they care about is that Gamestop CLEARLY believed they had the right to dictate what a customer should and shouldn't receive from the manufacturer. The customers were the victims here, not Gamestop, so we don't need to hear your spiel on why you felt the need to cheat your customers. Bottom line, Gamestop does not care, and the only reason they did anything is because of the bad pr they've been getting.

so what we learned today. you get a coupon for buy 2, get 1 free along with a $50 gift card. so basically, if you're going to use the b2g1 free coupon you're likely to use the $50 gc on it so it. If you're going to take advantage of the deal, you're still likely to pay some $ out of your pocket for some good games unless you get some old titles. Either way, GS is still hustling people rick ross style. BOSS!

Worse yet, what about the 4 people that have only a PC rig and can't use the B2G1 console games?! Gut 3 new games to sell as used. Lolz...

[quote name='intoxicated662']so what we learned today. you get a coupon for buy 2, get 1 free along with a $50 gift card. so basically, if you're going to use the b2g1 free coupon you're likely to use the $50 gc on it so it. If you're going to take advantage of the deal, you're still likely to pay some $ out of your pocket for some good games unless you get some old titles. Either way, GS is still hustling people rick ross style. BOSS![/QUOTE]

dont forget, crapstop overpriced games.

This is a great offer to the consumers, but can they return the preorder game?

Alright guys, I've updated the OP with the information straight from the horse's mouth. If they tell you it had to be a pre-order, tell them to check their facts and read what was sent to them because they're flat out lying. This is a purely make-shift promotion, so I added information on how they are to process each deal.

I love my GameStop. The guy there was absolutely enjoying this as he read the email aloud to customers wondering what was going on. One guy there had even heard about the fiasco and was laughing it up along with us. The guy was super cool about it and a man of my own heart: complete smartass lol. I wish everyone had GS employees as awesome as mine, because the company would actually have a much better rep. I guess that's why I really don't have a problem with them, since I don't shop there unless I want a pre-order code or to flip games.

My guys are pure gamers foremost, so just hanging out there is why I still love'em. My shiny new $50 GC helps, though. ;)

Can someone post a copy of the receipt?
Why? Well u have to show the associate a copy of the receipt and e-mail.

The cashier will just need to look at it and issue the gift card as a cash out, which the company is doing.

[quote name='The Punisher']Can someone post a copy of the receipt?
Why? Well u have to show the associate a copy of the receipt and e-mail.

The cashier will just need to look at it and issue the gift card as a cash out, which the company is doing.[/QUOTE]

So you want someone to post a copy of the receipt so that you can use it? ROFLCOPTER!

[quote name='pieczonka']so does anyone one know if my transaction detail on my power up rewards card will work for my receipt since I do not have it anymore[/QUOTE]

If you go back to the same store you purchased it at with the transaction details, they should be happy to print you a new one.

If they don't, complain to the DM.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']LOLing @ THE GAMESTOP EXPERIENCE.[/QUOTE]

Actually, $50 and a B2G1 for free is a pretty good deal. Especially since the only people it applies to never actually cared about the goddamn voucher in the first place, or else they would have bought the game elsewhere.

[quote name='Survivalism']Actually, $50 and a B2G1 for free is a pretty good deal. Especially since the only people it applies to never actually cared about the goddamn voucher in the first place, or else they would have bought the game elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

But it's the principle!

Principle always has a price.

[quote name='Survivalism']Actually, $50 and a B2G1 for free is a pretty good deal. Especially since the only people it applies to never actually cared about the goddamn voucher in the first place, or else they would have bought the game elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Not really, because that coupon you are going to use and the $50 GC you'll use towards that purchase and you'll still have to pay some $ out of your pocket if you want some decent games. Either way, gs will get your money and this is just another way for them do it. You could just use the $50 gc and buy Microsoft Points or something else as far as digital content goes and just give the coupon to someone else. But to each their own :bouncy:

[quote name='intoxicated662']Not really, because that coupon you are going to use and the $50 GC you'll use towards that purchase and you'll still have to pay some $ out of your pocket if you want some decent games. Either way, gs will get your money and this is just another way for them do it. You could just use the $50 gc and buy Microsoft Points or something else as far as digital content goes and just give the coupon to someone else. But to each their own :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Well you cant get ms points on sale at GS... And as far as digital content, not on sale ever really at GS, while via XBL you can get on sale. If you bought your points on sale well....

My point being,
Basically you'll also be getting screwed a little if you use your 50$ giftcard on points or DLC cards.

No one is talking about a sale. I was just saying for those who get the $50 gc they could just get 4000 ms points and that's it. Just a way to use up the credit without having to use the b2g1 free coupon and spend more $ out of their pocket. You could always buy a couple of xbla/psn games too.

Surprising gesture on GS's behalf. I am honestly a bit surprised. Nonetheless, the company as a whole still has a lot of catching up to do for total redemption.

I LOVE how they apologize and say they "had no idea about their competitors offer"...but yet, in the letter management sent out they specifically talked about it.

I'm sorry but a bribery isn't going to cover a truely dick move. Gamestop, you may forever rest in your fucking grave as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='ExplodingRat']The stores themselves didn't do it.

Anywho, the e-mail said they had to purchase it BEFORE 8/26 to take advantage of the offer (In the store e-mail).

My local store that I basically still work at but not really already sent the recall back too, as we were supposed to today or yesterday.[/QUOTE]

What the hell... are you that guy that just hangs out there but doesn't get paid?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Can anyone confirm Augmented Edition is included. Going to go to gamestop tomorrow to get my free $50 and a Skyrim Preorder if so. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this too. I picked up two copies of DE:HR (Augmented Ed.) for PC from Gamestop.com because they were the only retailer that had them in stock.

I have so many questions and it is very YMMV. 1. Does it work on augmented editions? 2. Does it work on gamestop.com orders? 3. Would you get $50 GC per receipt or per copy purchased where I picked up to

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm wondering this too. I picked up two copies of DE:HR (Augmented Ed.) for PC from Gamestop.com because they were the only retailer that had them in stock.

I have so many questions and it is very YMMV. 1. Does it work on augmented editions? 2. Does it work on gamestop.com orders? 3. Would you get $50 GC per receipt or per copy purchased where I picked up to[/QUOTE]
Read the OP, online orders count. Augmented is YMMV since only standard listed. For the last one, yes. If they refuse at one store to do both, take it to another for the other one. This is where I could see people abusing the hell out of this (and it's GS so who cares) because they're not instructed to mark your receipt at all. You could basically hit every GS in town for $50 GCs and I'm sure people already are. Just don't leave a paper trail by using your PUR card lol.

Wow, great deal... but then again, considering what they did, it had to be a pretty good deal to whitewash the debacle.

I wonder what SE's reaction to all of this is.

[quote name='Jodou']Read the OP, online orders count. Augmented is YMMV since only standard listed. For the last one, yes. If they refuse at one store to do both, take it to another for the other one. This is where I could see people abusing the hell out of this (and it's GS so who cares) because they're not instructed to mark your receipt at all. You could basically hit every GS in town for $50 GCs and I'm sure people already are. Just don't leave a paper trail by using your PUR card lol.[/QUOTE]
There are 4 gamestops in the area I could drive to so maybe one of them will get me lucky on my Augmented. Going to try at least one tomorrow, maybe more.

[quote name='Jodou']Read the OP, online orders count. Augmented is YMMV since only standard listed. For the last one, yes. If they refuse at one store to do both, take it to another for the other one. This is where I could see people abusing the hell out of this (and it's GS so who cares) because they're not instructed to mark your receipt at all. You could basically hit every GS in town for $50 GCs and I'm sure people already are. Just don't leave a paper trail by using your PUR card lol.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. They just need to see the receipt and email.
This is why I was asking for someone to post a copy of the receipt. Gamestop has a backup fund so cashiers has to do cash out which doesnt really leave any paper trail unless someone uses their pur card when purchasing and using the $50 gift card.

[quote name='The Punisher']I was thinking the same thing. They just need to see the receipt and email.
This is why I was asking for someone to post a copy of the receipt. Gamestop has a backup fund so cashiers has to do cash out which doesnt really leave any paper trail unless someone uses their pur card when purchasing and using the $50 gift card.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for admitting you'd commit fraud. Besides, I'm sure they'd want to see the original receipt not a printed out copy of it in which case people could/would photoshop it and go postal with it. Just let it go already...

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']There are 4 gamestops in the area I could drive to so maybe one of them will get me lucky on my Augmented. Going to try at least one tomorrow, maybe more.[/QUOTE]

If you have any success with the augmented edition let me know. I may try at some point this weekend if I can make it over to one of my two gamestop stores. I just have a gut feeling they'll screw this up; if they are even aware of the promo

A bribe from a shithole company. Too much negative press, so they send this out. Want to earn my trust? Do a better job from the outset. Stop the race to the bottom... stop buying up good companies and tossing them into the muck that is your company culture... Pay your employees appropriately based on the billions you're pulling in.

[quote name='midloo']Pay your employees appropriately based on the billions you're pulling in.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't make much business sense for Gametstop to pay them more than any other crap job in the mall. There's a ton of kids that grew up dreaming of how fun it would be to work in a video game shop, regardless of what it pays. If someone doesn't like what they're getting paid there, Gamestop will have no trouble finding a replacement for them.

my gamestop has one pc copy left and it's still seal i have proof i took pictures of it because everyone thinks that gamestop just pulled the codes the i work at did i know worked day of launch and everyday till today because it's my day off

[quote name='Vinny']Wow, great deal... but then again, considering what they did, it had to be a pretty good deal to whitewash the debacle.

I wonder what SE's reaction to all of this is.[/QUOTE]

They gave this statement a couple of days ago...

“As part of Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s boxed offering on PC, Square Enix included a third party coupon. GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies. Square Enix invites gamers who want to purchase the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without additional coupons to buy the game at any one of over 4000 GameStop stores in North America or purchase a digital download copy online from www.gamestop.com. "

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...decision-to-remove-onlive-codes-from-deus-ex/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='midloo']A bribe from a shithole company. Too much negative press, so they send this out. Want to earn my trust? Do a better job from the outset. Stop the race to the bottom... stop buying up good companies and tossing them into the muck that is your company culture... Pay your employees appropriately based on the billions you're pulling in.[/QUOTE]

I think he is talking about Wal-Mart ^^^

GameStop CEO Paul Raines has issued an apology and promised a $50 gift certificate and a "buy two, get one free" coupon on used games to customers who purchased the PC game.

"We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game," Raines' said. "And for this, we are truly sorry." Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6331372/deus-ex-flub-has-gamestop-giving-out-50-gift-cards?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B4

I used to work for GameStop at their headquarters and must say Paul Raines is a great person. He knew me by name even though I wasn't anybody big at the company. He is definitely a gamer as he talked to the average Joe about his struggles with some games like Uncharted 2 where he said that he almost cried of joy when beating the last boss because it was so damn hard. I remember him telling some folks during a meeting that he wished HAWX 2 would have done better in sales since it was his favorite game in quite some time.

I am not surprised he is being upfront about this fiasco which probably happened without his knowledge. I wish more CEO's from companies like Best Buy, Amazon, Wal-Mart and others would speak when dealing like problems like this.

[quote name='oasisboy']I think he is talking about Wal-Mart ^^^[/QUOTE]

No, he is talking about EB Games & Rhino Games.

Oh, wait, you're making a joke. My bad, I didn't know you were.

[quote name='intoxicated662']Thanks for admitting you'd commit fraud. Besides, I'm sure they'd want to see the original receipt not a printed out copy of it in which case people could/would photoshop it and go postal with it. Just let it go already...[/QUOTE]

How is it fraud? (I havent got in on the deal and got the 360 not pc) They are not scanning the receipt that links it to the given $50 gift card coupon.
U hear on CAG here saying they will try to hit up many GS. What's fraud is when they sell new games open and telling people that they cant return it because its open? Its not a big deal since i dont shop GS much.
Is it Fraud then if u purchase a item pricing error? Fraud is wrong and I havent done it.

If u talking about right and wrong. then yes, this is wrong, but its not Fraud. Hey, there people here that flip games. Do u consider it fraud?

[quote name='The Punisher']How is it fraud? (I havent got in on the deal and got the 360 not pc) They are not scanning the receipt that links it to the given $50 gift card coupon.
U hear on CAG here saying they will try to hit up many GS. What's fraud is when they sell new games open and telling people that they cant return it because its open? Its not a big deal since i dont shop GS much.
Is it Fraud then if u purchase a item pricing error? Fraud is wrong and I havent done it.

If u talking about right and wrong. then yes, this is wrong, but its not Fraud. Hey, there people here that flip games. Do u consider it fraud?[/QUOTE]

Why were you asking for someone to scan the receipt?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Why were you asking for someone to scan the receipt?[/QUOTE]

Well the email said that u have to Just show them the receipt and email. So anyone can use this since its not linking to pur card.

They will process the gift card and B2G1 as a pay out.

Maybe Im wrong, but i didnt think it was fraud. i do have the 360 not the pc.

Too bad I was waiting for it to get cheaper after I caught up with some of my ridiculous backlog. I was going to check after work at my local GS to see if they'd accidentally left any copies on the shelf, but didn't get out in time. Bother.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Too bad I was waiting for it to get cheaper after I caught up with some of my ridiculous backlog. I was going to check after work at my local GS to see if they'd accidentally left any copies on the shelf, but didn't get out in time. Bother.[/QUOTE]

Can u tell me if its fraud if I just show GS a receipt and email that is not mines to take advantage of the deal/ screw up? (remember, they dont scan the receipt and its not link to Pur card unless the buyer uses the gift card with pur)

I believe that the offer doesnt apply if u purchase it today.

bread's done
Back