GameStop Pre-Order Price Increase for CEs?!?

token2k6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
146 (100%)
I just got the call I'd been waiting since Monday/Tues for from GameStop to convert my $5 CoD:Blops II pre-order to the Hardened or Care Package editions. I tried to sound super excited and indicated, 'hell yeah, I want to switch to the hardened!' (I really just want it for collection sake, haven't even finished the last two, I know 'sin') He responded, "Great, well we'll see you as soon as you can get by here." Perplexed, I then asked whats up? b/c I specifically remembering they could switch over the phone and the $5 would hold when I pre-ordered and got the poster in store..Now, I know that they usually charge $10 for most CE's, usually over $100 and then like $25-$50 for consoles. I asked what if they just needed another $5 and he said told me it would be $25 for the deposit!

I was pretty shocked at this and fired right back like 'when was this policy changed' I immediately thought they were trying to milk CoD for all its worth. I then asked about the Forza Steelbook (again for collection sake) to see if he would trip up and say it'd be a $10 pre-order. Shouldn't have thought that b/c he said it would be $25.."so bring in $50

I don't know if this has been discussed at length in any other thread, but just wanted to get some feedback, b/c I really don't feel like dropping another $20. I just wanted a sure-thing-copy. I got lucky on all the rest by walking into a B&M store by lunch on launch day, but just didn't feel like doing that again. Now I'm thinking about just cancelling altogether b/c that is outrageous for a title that will be $80..

If you don't care about getting it at midnight, you could always pre-order it from Amazon. It costs zero dollars to pre-order, they don't charge you until it ships and you usually save on taxes.

It's been $25 for a while. I think it was not too long after Diablo III because that was the last $10 preorder I did.

I asked why and the manager said that they had too many people not picking up the CEs and downgrading to the regular editions.

[quote name='Ziv']It's been $25 for a while. I think it was not too long after Diablo III because that was the last $10 preorder I did.

I asked why and the manager said that they had too many people not picking up the CEs and downgrading to the regular editions.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much money they make from people who put down deposits but never pick them up?

I don't know if GS has any of my credit floating around for non picked up preorders, but I'm sure BB does with all those trade in bonuses with preorder from last year lol.

[quote name='Vinny']I wonder how much money they make from people who put down deposits but never pick them up?[/QUOTE]

Back in the old EB/GameStop/Babbage's days after 90 days you were supposed to put the money on a gift card and send it to corporate for them to "dispose of properly." Nowadays though the money just sits and rots. I haven't worked there in a bit but I remember we had a preorder for the Gran Turismo 4 guide in our system.

Also if I am not mistaken you can preorder from GameStop.com for free and choose pickup at store. Unless they changed that too.

[quote name='godsmack13']I don't know if GS has any of my credit floating around for non picked up preorders, but I'm sure BB does with all those trade in bonuses with preorder from last year lol.[/QUOTE]
If I remember correctly, there used to be a tool on Gamestops' site where you could enter in your phone number and see if you had any outstanding credit from pre-orders you never picked up or whatever.

You may still be able to have the customer service line look up to see if you have any outstanding pre-orders and to get them to cancel them and send you a gift card for them.

[quote name='Obiwan456']It is my understanding that CE over $80 are a $25 deposit. That is how it has been for me for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

It's any CE over $60. GS did this so there wouldnt be as many leftover CE thinking if you truly want it you won't forget it if u have $25 down instead of $10.

The policy changed earlier this year.

bread's done
Back