Gamestop PS3 used drops: Mass Effect 2: $18, GT5: $35, MORE!!!

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!
New price-drops on PS3 games; maybe 360 as well...

Fight Night Champion: $26.99
Sims 3: $26.99
Deus Ex HR: $34.99
NFS Hot Pursuit: $24.99
Alice: $34.99
Shift 2: $26.99
Gran Turismo 5: $34.99
Mass Effect 2: $17.99 (from $34.99, I might add)
Transformers Dark of the moon: $34.99
Dragon Age 2: $26.99
Call of Juarez-The Cartel: $34.99

I've been waiting on a price drop for Fight Night and Call of Juarez Cartel.. I think COJ will probably drop at Target soon though

[quote name='pimpster4183']I've been waiting on a price drop for Fight Night and Call of Juarez Cartel.. I think COJ will probably drop at Target soon though[/QUOTE]
It was on clearance at my target 3 weeks ago for $17.xx. It was the only copy.

Called in today for:

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection: $17
God of War: Origins Collection: $16

Added them to the price tracker.

doesnt me2 have a 10 or $15 game pass to buy if you get it used and want the me1 digital comic? kinda takes some of the value outta the sale

[quote name='pcx4487']doesnt me2 have a 10 or $15 game pass to buy if you get it used and want the me1 digital comic? kinda takes some of the value outta the sale[/QUOTE]

Doesn't gamestop print out an online pass on the receipt? They did for my res3 copy

[quote name='pcx4487']doesnt me2 have a 10 or $15 game pass to buy if you get it used and want the me1 digital comic? kinda takes some of the value outta the sale[/QUOTE]

good question, but i think the ps3 version has all content included on disc, could be wrong

This is great, just last month it was 26.99 and I almost bought it. Been meaning to get back on it and play it through it again and the Arrival and Zaeed mission. Any reason to get this new at Best Buy? What is included in the Cerberus voucher, like exactly? I know the Zaeed mission and ME1 comic is on it.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I've been waiting on a price drop for Fight Night and Call of Juarez Cartel.. I think COJ will probably drop at Target soon though[/QUOTE]

The biggest price drop, Redbox. Seriously that game is terrible and awful.

Fight Night still isn't low enough. Also, the online pass is sure to have been redeemed, so price should be much lower.

Gamestop always drops their tiv's to only 3 to 6 less than msrp and people fall for it sadly :( why don't more people use this great site ? cag made me a much more smarter game shopper than I was before

$10 pass gets you some extra weapons, 1 extra character, a few extra missions (finding the Normandy wreckage and a set of missions that get you the replacement to the Mako, the Hammerhead,) and most importantly Mass Effect: Genesis, the motion comic that lets you make the key decisions from ME 1.

Although depending on your Gamestop you may have better than a 50/50 chance of the pass in it not being used.

Not impressive. Who would buy Mass Effect at 18 bucks when it retails new for 19.99 now? Most of these are only a few bucks below MSRP. Gamestop does have some good deals from time to time, but I don't know how anyone buys some of these used games at these prices from them.

[quote name='JP73']Not impressive. Who would buy Mass Effect at 18 bucks when it retails new for 19.99 now?[/QUOTE]

Because it's GameStop.

And not only that if you want the Cerberus extras you'll most likely have to pay extra as the code is probably used, so it's not worth the HUGE $2 savings. :roll:

[quote name='JP73']Not impressive. Who would buy Mass Effect at 18 bucks when it retails new for 19.99 now? Most of these are only a few bucks below MSRP. Gamestop does have some good deals from time to time, but I don't know how anyone buys some of these used games at these prices from them.[/QUOTE]
Convenient if something may come up and you want to return them, try them out and don't like them, have a $5-$10 off coupon from PuR (the $5-$10 off used stuff is less points than the $5-$10 off anything coupons).

[quote name='strait edge follower']If you are going to only save 3 bucks or so you might as well support the developers instead and buy it new. That's what I would do[/QUOTE]

Absolute +1. Support the developers, not FailStop. :applause:

[quote name='JP73']Not impressive. Who would buy Mass Effect at 18 bucks when it retails new for 19.99 now? Most of these are only a few bucks below MSRP. Gamestop does have some good deals from time to time, but I don't know how anyone buys some of these used games at these prices from them.[/QUOTE]

Let me say I agree with you but here's the main reasons why people would buy used:

1. 7-day return policy
Good for parents who don't want to be stuck with a game their kids don't like or is too hard for them or for people similar to us who could beat the game in that time frame.

2. PUR Pro
Bigger reason for the games $35-$55 used but PUR Pro gets you the game $7-10 cheaper than a new copy. Plus you get double rewards points.

3. People are uninformed or don't care
The vast majority of game buyers don't understand you're not supporting the pubs/devs, etc. by buying used vs. new, they just want the game at the cheapest rate possible.

4. They are the only option in town
Lots of people still live in rural areas without broadband access and can't download/buy games online. Gamestop and Walmart are generally the only places these people can get games, and Walmart has less of a selection than Gamestop and doesn't do trade ins.

5. New copies are out of print
Not an issue with something like Mass Effect 2, but is an issue for older, niche games, PS2/Gamecube games, or for people in situation 4 that can't buy the games online or can't download them directly on XBox/PS3.

Because they have credit. And because you can return a crappy game within 7 days if you dont like it. Thats how.

DE:HR worth it at that price? Was waiting for Gamefly sale price, but with all the hype that price doesn't look so bad

[quote name='MSUHitman']Let me say I agree with you but here's the main reasons why people would buy used:

1. 7-day return policy[/QUOTE]

- That's what, Blockbuster, Redbox, & GameFly are for.

2. PUR Pro
- Something that you have to pay extra to use, not to mention have to find a printer to print out points that you may or may not earn.

3. People are uninformed or don't care
- Can't argue with this point, considering this generation of gamer.

4. They are the only option in town
- Tell me where you can find a GameStop and not be able to find a Wal-Mart (or maybe even a Target) nearby. And I'm sure they won't sweat the $3 they'll probably get for a tradein of a $30 game new.

- Also a valid point, but there are still ways to get them and most of the time better prices than GameStop. but for this specifically, ME2 is still way in print.

I love GameStop fans. The blinders they wear are bigger than the ones Apple fanboys wear.

So basically everyone is saying that buying these games is not a good deal. They go to gamestop to "rent" games and return them.

I do this quite a bit. Then every once in a long long time when GS will actually have a good deal I will BUY from them. That is very rare and I usually buy my games and trade my games elsewhere.

Seems of late though gamestop is getting worse and the prices, deals, trade ins etc is far far behind what others are doing.

Some one did touch on old console games. That is the only plus I see right now at GS, but do they really want to be one of those stores? The relic game store?

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']- That's what, Blockbuster, Redbox, & GameFly are for.

[/QUOTE]

Ohhh but those services cost money. GS doesn't cost you a thing to "rent" a game and then return it. Free free free.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']- That's what, Blockbuster, Redbox, & GameFly are for.

- Something that you have to pay extra to use, not to mention have to find a printer to print out points that you may or may not earn.

- Can't argue with this point, considering this generation of gamer.

- Tell me where you can find a GameStop and not be able to find a Wal-Mart (or maybe even a Target) nearby. And I'm sure they won't sweat the $3 they'll probably get for a tradein of a $30 game new.

- Also a valid point, but there are still ways to get them and most of the time better prices than GameStop. but for this specifically, ME2 is still way in print.

I love GameStop fans. The blinders they wear are bigger than the ones Apple fanboys wear.[/QUOTE]

I said in my original reply I agreed with the poster, but here were the valid reasons why people buy used. There's all kinds of better places to buy used (Gamefly and Glyde.com) but the trade-in credit is a reason why I go there plus I can't trust Best Buy to get CE of games and other retailers don't carry them. Don't say Amazon as I used their trade-in program once, got screwed, and will never do it again. I'm not a blind Gamestop fan but for my needs they are the best option.

And on my 4th point, I was relating to my experience growing up in southern Illinois and going to school in western Kentucky. When I was in college my only options to buy games in Murray, KY were Wal-Mart and Sam Goody. I had to drive 30 minutes to get to a Gamestop/EB Games. In grade/high school my only options were Walmart, Target, and EB Games.

Also gamefly is incredibly expensive and its hard to get the game you want. You have to micromanage your queue way too much to get any game released in the last year. Redbox also just started carrying games this spring and doesn't have the best selection. Also my 4th point comes into play and rural areas only have 1-2 boxes available vs. the tens available for people in cities.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I said in my original reply I agreed with the poster, but here were the valid reasons why people buy used. There's all kinds of better places to buy used (Gamefly and Glyde.com) but the trade-in credit is a reason why I go there plus I can't trust Best Buy to get CE of games and other retailers don't carry them. Don't say Amazon as I used their trade-in program once, got screwed, and will never do it again. I'm not a blind Gamestop fan but for my needs they are the best option.

And on my 4th point, I was relating to my experience growing up in southern Illinois and going to school in western Kentucky. When I was in college my only options to buy games in Murray, KY were Wal-Mart and Sam Goody. I had to drive 30 minutes to get to a Gamestop/EB Games. In grade/high school my only options were Walmart, Target, and EB Games.

Also gamefly is incredibly expensive and its hard to get the game you want. You have to micromanage your queue way too much to get any game released in the last year. Redbox also just started carrying games this spring and doesn't have the best selection. Also my 4th point comes into play and rural areas only have 1-2 boxes available vs. the tens available for people in cities.[/QUOTE]

I will definitely agree with you on the not wanting to preorder CEs fromBest Buy, as I've been almost screwed over a few times with them, and I hear you on the Amazon trade-in piece (though I've never had any issue with them), but all of that doesn't even come close to how GameStop has screwed me. I could write a freaking novel with all the bad experiences I've had with them before I quit them for good.

It all comes down to your own personal experiences. I don't want to tell anyone what to do, I can only hope to enlighten their view on where to buy.

Oh, and that GameStop fanboy comment was not directed at you, btw. I can tell you actually are a smart shopping individual.

Bought used copy of ME2 last Tuesday for 34.99 (really wanted to play it); saw that it went to 19.99 new at BB and 20.99 Buy.com and bought it new and returned it yesterday.

I have a PUR account mainly because at the time I was trying to sell these used game for ages and was having no luck on Craigslist, eBay and Glyde. So I gave up and just traded them in, the card ended up paying for itself with the extra 10% I got in trade in value and the couple used games that I got that actually weren't mangled. The only crappy thing is their stupid PUR account is linked to your available gift cards linked to the account but you have to bring in the stupid cards each time to use them which I no longer have. I'm sitting on $60 worth of credit that I cannot use but I can continue to accrue credit on. Probably the last time I ever sign up for that card.

But very rarely are their new/used games cheaper than other outlets. For games I mainly just goto Craigslist there's always someone selling a new copy of a brand new released game for $40-50.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Not an issue with something like Mass Effect 2, but is an issue for older, niche games, PS2/Gamecube games, or for people in situation 4 that can't buy the games online or can't download them directly on XBox/PS3.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Sometimes I miss out on getting a game new because I missed a clearance or some other discount on it. Sometimes I can find a used copy at Gamestop, see that it's in decent enough condition and just get it there rather than go to Ebay or searching for it online. Mind you this is very rarely the case/happens, but it still has with a few titles. I try to avoid Gamestop like I try to avoid the flu/plague/VD/AIDS/TB/"insert your preferred disease here." I was just in a GS trying to buy spiderman Shattered Dimensions where 2 preschoolers were working and knew absolutely nothing about video games (why does Gamestop allow itself to hire people like this?), got annoying and pissed off, and left. I still can't believe that rather than keeping employees that know something, they promote teenage girls who could barely work at McDonalds, let alone run a store. Ended up going to Target with the add and PMing the deal there. fuck GS, and while I'm at it I'll still say a fuck you to BB, for both stores lack of deals/sales, terrible customer service, store design, etc.

[quote name='JungleRot']

Some one did touch on old console games. That is the only plus I see right now at GS, but do they really want to be one of those stores? The relic game store?[/QUOTE]

At this point, I'd prefer a good/decent relic game store. Most of the games this gen have sucked or are merely generic FPS #27, or some lame expansion pack disguised as a sequel, etc. There were some good games at the start of this gen, and since then everything's dried up. Basically everything has gone south since this economy turn to crap in 08 and game quality has suffered because of it. There aren't even as many "gem" or unique/niche titles that would make up for the rest of the industry, and obviously fewer games are being released. I remember years ago where there were literally 2-3 games a week I wanted to play/have. Now I can barely scratch 1 in a 4 month quarter.

[quote name='nietzsche74']New price-drops on PS3 games; maybe 360 as well...

Fight Night Champion: $26.99
Sims 3: $26.99
Deus Ex HR: $34.99
NFS Hot Pursuit: $24.99
Alice: $34.99
Shift 2: $26.99
Gran Turismo 5: $34.99
Transformers Dark of the moon: $34.99
Dragon Age 2: $26.99
Call of Juarez-The Cartel: $34.99[/QUOTE]Not good prices if you been following CAG regularly

Fight Night was $20 used at BB using that 50% off used game coupon 3 months ago
NFS is $20 new @ TRU in-store only now
Sims3 was $20 new @ pc ricard
DE:HR was $35 new 3 weeks after release @ TRU
Alice was $35 @ kmart 2-3 weeks after release
Shift 2 was $20 new or used using the @gamer coupons 3 months ago
Dragon Age 2 $20 new @ pc richard $15 new @ BB using @gamer coupon 3 months ago
ME2 is now $20 new MSRP

Is the original Alice included on the disc for the PS3 version, and does it require some kind of code to unlock? AKA will buying this used screw me out of the compete package?

[quote name='jupiterjones']Is the original Alice included on the disc for the PS3 version, and does it require some kind of code to unlock? AKA will buying this used screw me out of the compete package?[/QUOTE]

It is on disc but the code is required. A good reason not to buy used.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']It is on disc but the code is required. A good reason not to buy used.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, I wasn't 100% sure.

Any clue if GS prints the code on the receipt like other people have mentioned for other online-based games? Or would you be screwed?

Deus Ex Augmented Edition dropped to 49.99. Never did open my 79.99 copy, wonder if they'd let me return it (lol, no).

[quote name='jupiterjones']Thanks for the response, I wasn't 100% sure.

Any clue if GS prints the code on the receipt like other people have mentioned for other online-based games? Or would you be screwed?[/QUOTE]

It's a sheet that comes in the box with the manual that has the code on it.

I HATE those receipt codes that GameStop does. The one and only time I bought a code for something from FailStop (it was a XBL Time Card) the salesman marked over the code with a highlighter, making it almost impossible to read when I got home. fucking idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempted on DE: HR. But I will be traveling a lot over the next five months (thus the PSP purchase on Craigslist) and I have a backlog as it is. Something tells me this could be had at Best Buy for $25-30 come black friday.

Plus Wombat said it had a shitty ending.

[quote name='Enuf']Not good prices if you been following CAG regularly

ME2 is now $20 new MSRP[/QUOTE]

none of those deals are active right now so shut up
as pointless as saying this and this was $ on black friday, right now is not black friday

[quote name='Enuf']Not good prices if you been following CAG regularly

ME2 is now $20 new MSRP[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tony208']none of those deals are active right now so shut up
as pointless as saying this and this was $ on black friday, right now is not black friday[/QUOTE]hey dumbass :dunce:
3 of the games ARE that price right now:error: & there also all new so the people in the thread worried about codes might make out better there & the only person who mentioned BF is you so STFU.:ziplip:

It's smart to point on the recent sales that have happened that way people that pay attention to the trends can make the "right" decision for themselves more info is always good. Otherwise, then you end up with the "$hit I just bought that game for ___ now I have to return/rebuy or make 2 trips" etc.

Just b/c it may not help you doesn't mean $hit your 1 of thousands of CAG's.

bread's done
Back