Gamestop takeover imminent?

Acquisition = GS *being* taken over, or GS taking someone else over?

The former seems more likely given the lack of big marketshare competion for them.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Who the hell could afford them? Amazon? Walmart?[/QUOTE]

I doubt amazon. I mean what are there assets?

[quote name='F8X']I doubt amazon. I mean what are there assets?[/QUOTE]

Most likely it will be a stock purchase and probably a stock-for-stock merger whereby the acquiror will exchange shares of its stock for the stock of GameStop so that it ends up with majority control of the company (often less than 50% for public companies) and GameStop will become a subsidiary of the acquiror.

[quote name='TomJones4']Toyota. They are getting out of Cars and into used games.[/QUOTE]

So instead of their cars crashing and burning at 100mph, their 'refurbished' consoles will do so instead? Too soon?

[quote name='Access_Denied']McDonalds. :shock:[/QUOTE]

A free(after $5 pre-order deposit on the game 'flavor of the month')PS3 game with every Happy Meal? Sign me up for the meat flavored heart clogger supreme and a crappy movie game that's beat to hell in a generic case.;)

But ya know, if this were somehow friggin' WalMart, I would hate Gamestop doubly so then and you could forget about decent trade deals or prices since WM's unwritten motto is 'retail prices, all the time(never a deal), ALWAYS'.

BREAKING NEWS !!!
it is confirmed that " Oscar Meyer " has purchased the Gamestop Company

....wow seriously what in the hell do they want with videogames ??

[quote name='cochesecochese']Please, let it be by Activision. If only for the lulz.[/QUOTE]

And then they can begin work on their Deathstar. :shock:

The communist Chinese will use it as a pawn against their mortal enemies, the Japanese.

I bet it's the guy who sells all those bootlegs on eBay. If he owns GS, then he could sell bootlegs to 90% of GS's customers and they probably wouldn't even know.

[quote name='jh6269']It's probably Wally world or some random European entity.[/QUOTE]

Some European entity is more likely if anyone. Wally World is already the #1 seller of games (IIRC) and really has no reason to buy them. Plus it doesn't match with their corporate strategy.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Some European entity is more likely if anyone. Wally World is already the #1 seller of games (IIRC) and really has no reason to buy them. Plus it doesn't match with their corporate strategy.[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about the same companies here? Gamestop and Wally World seem to have the same strategy/motto when it comes to selling shit, if you ask me. Get the most money out of the stock we have and don't offer many sales.

While some might think those 'low prices' at Wally World are due to sales, it's because they managed to get the products for even LESS than that price, so they're still making money on them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Are we talking about the same companies here? Gamestop and Wally World seem to have the same strategy/motto when it comes to selling shit, if you ask me. Get the most money out of the stock we have and don't offer many sales.

While some might think those 'low prices' at Wally World are due to sales, it's because they managed to get the products for even LESS than that price, so they're still making money on them.[/QUOTE]

I think he was talking about the fact that Wal-Mart's strategy is "Sell every single type of product imaginable so people come to us to buy everything and spend all their money" instead of Gamestop's "Buy games for no money and sell them used for near full price but only sell gaming stuff" plan.

But Gamestop did branch out into Videostop or whatever the DVD/Blu-Ray stores are being called, unless that plan has been scrapped as of now. However, it would make sense for WM to try and buy GS, since they tried their own trade-in machines in a limited run and I'm sure they have ample cash to be able to buy out GS.

I hope it's not Wal-mart, personally. And I doubt it will be Amazon b/c then they'd have to charge sales tax (since they'd own B&M stores all over the country in each state).

No way Wal-Mart would be purchasing Gamestop, I just can't see it. I would say the more likely possibility is Best Buy taking them over, and running them the way that they have those Best Buy Mobile stores in some malls where they sell Cell Phones.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But Gamestop did branch out into Videostop or whatever the DVD/Blu-Ray stores are being called, unless that plan has been scrapped as of now. However, it would make sense for WM to try and buy GS, since they tried their own trade-in machines in a limited run and I'm sure they have ample cash to be able to buy out GS.[/QUOTE]

I'd never even heard of this, so i searched it...the fuck!

EDIT: Here's their website: http://www.moviestop.com

photo1.jpg

3192429959_f6717ee41e.jpg

13738_174438271601_14006986601_2803952_2606636_n.jpg

MovieStop.jpg

Seriously...who the fuck could afford them? They already own EB Games, Barnes and Nobel, and apparently whatever the hell MovieStop is.

I wonder if it could be Disney? :S

These rumors surfaced the other day as a result of unusual activity in the options market. Someone was making some pretty big bets that GME sees $24 in a relatively short time span.

The rumors that I heard off the trade the news wires last week centered around speculation that a foreign private equity firm was sniffing around the company. There was no mention or even speculation of another US company being interested. It would make no sense at all for Walmart to make an offer, same with Amazon. GME really doesn't offer Walmart anything that they couldn't do on their own. Amazon has no interest in becoming a B&M retailer and it would make no sense at all for any of the actual game developers/publishers (ERTS, ATVI) to buy a game retailer.

[quote name='mykevermin']I hear it's the federal government.[/QUOTE]

"File your taxes and buy a used ps3 with 27 used games or the terrorists win."

[quote name='Puffa469']It's not Walmart. Walmart doesn't buy other companies, they put other companies out of business.[/QUOTE]

LOL yeah, that's the truth.

Check this out, he figures that the ship could be sinking...

In October 2009 Leonard Riggio, chairman of the board at Barnes & Noble and director at GameStop sold 2.3 million shares of GameStop for $60.2 million. According to a report from Barron's, via Gamasutra, that sale could be a sign of impending bad financial news for GameStop. The original report draws comparisons to a previous stock sell off by Riggio, prior to a hefty drop in the company's value. Riggio still retains 9.1 million shares in the game retailer.

with the current trends in digital distribution, gamestop is position very toughly in the market. All signs point to more and more DD and with sales dropping in GS stores and video game sales down across the board, all signs point to gamestop closing their doors or being bought and doing DD,

I don't like it one bit, but disc gaming has been on the decline this generation and I don't know if it can make it through another full platform cycle

Edit: And I don't mean closing like tomorrow, I still see them around for another 3-5 years

Maybe Activision is buying GS... then they can pack the place floor to ceiling with plastic instruments and rename themselves "Call of Duty Stop."

[quote name='Sito']I don't like it one bit, but disc gaming has been on the decline this generation and I don't know if it can make it through another full platform cycle[/QUOTE]

*points to PSP Go's sales chart*

While downloadable games certinly have their place, I still think the majority prefer a tangible game, and disc gaming wont be going away anytime soon.

[quote name='Drclaw411']*points to PSP Go's sales chart*

While downloadable games certinly have their place, I still think the majority prefer a tangible game, and disc gaming wont be going away anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

What about Steam, iPhone, PSN and XBLA? Those games would usually be on a disc if it weren't for those online distribution. It's got to take some kind of cut.

However, I think this has to do more with Amazon than DLC. Amazon has better deals and no sales tax (even if you did have to pay sales tax, they still have better deals).

Well, knowing a bit about the market, if Gemestop's stock price is going up, then they would be the company being bought out. The buyers stock usually falls during these, doesn't shoot up.

This could be interestng to see who buys them, and how inflated the price might get. I have some 5 Gamestops within 5 miles of me. There are several malls that use to have 2 in them (they finally started closing some of those ones down). I have to think anyone buying will instantly close down several of the stores and consolidate inventory.

My best guesses would be either Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon. All of them have run at least pilot programs into the used industry, they may think it makes more sense to buy out Gamestop than build their own. Walmart would be a really interesting fit on paper (not sure financially if it works) They already sell more games than any other store. Give them the whole used market, which I would imagine they are going to extrapolate to include used books and used DVD's. Walmart would have substantial influence on what you could buy (more than what they already do).

This would also get around any Walmart used item monopoly issues, since that was handled in the Gamestop/EB Games merger.

bread's done
Back