Gamestop Throwing Away Guitar Controllers - YMMV

Ronin317

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I was in Gamestop tonight trading in my old 360 for a new slim on that sweet PUR deal, and also picked up a new mic for RB3.

Since I was buying the mic, the manager asked me if I wanted any USED GH Guitars for free. He says "We got a corporate memo to field destroy any we had in stock. Take em all, I don't care." And shows me the memo.

SO...for those of you who happen to feel like dumpster diving, tonight and the next day or so, you should be able to grab all the guitar controllers your heart desires at many GS locations... as always, YMMV. If there are any GS employees, feel free to confirm or deny, but the memo I saw looked like it was dated today, 3.9.12. Not sure if it's regional, either. I'm in Pittsburgh, FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ronin317']
Yet you have enough time to post this - it literally takes 3 minutes flat to list something on Amazon. Take a couple of minutes, literally minutes, and make yourself some money. [/QUOTE]
a nine hour a day job and school kinda prevent me from dealing with anything online except buying, wish i could though got a lot of game i would like to sell for a good price and not have to deal with gamestop

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Haha, seriously! I love this line of thinking. Even if it took him an hour to list one guitar (which, let's be honest, with that grammar, is entirely possible)...and he "only" made $30 off of it, that's $30 for an hour of work. Must have a damn good job if that's not "worth the time". In reality though, we're most likely talking to 14 year old wankers who don't know their head from their ass. And so, the world just keeps on turning. :)[/QUOTE]
Excuse my grammar since English is my second language, why are worry about that in the first place.....wait i thought this thread was about dumpster diving for guitar controllers how did it get here?!

[quote name='Brother Daz']I don't understand the "real" guitarists that hate these games. I've played guitar for 23 years and love the gh/rb games. Apples and oranges in my book.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should start taking yourself too seriously?

I've always found it odd as well. I played a lot of sports in school. It doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy Super Tecmo Bowl because it wasn't the real thing.

[quote name='LD_Helix']

Excuse my grammar since English is my second language, why are worry about that in the first place.....wait i thought this thread was about dumpster diving for guitar controllers how did it get here?![/QUOTE]

Your english is better than half the native speakers on CAG. Be proud.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Nobody believed me when I said Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Call of Duty, and sports games are garbage. Here's your proof.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how sports games are proved to be garbage here?

[quote name='confoosious']There are two types of people who don't like GH games:

1) Joyless people who suck at life
2) "real" guitarists who think they're super cool cause they play real guitar so they turn their noses at GH/RB

Although come to think of it, 2 falls under 1.[/QUOTE]

Funny, the first person I knew that got into Guitar Hero was a bassist.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Nobody believed me when I said Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Call of Duty, and sports games are garbage. Here's your proof.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed and still enjoy Rock Band along with sport games in fact more and more sport games are starting to get a RPG style to them with creating your own player and playing out their career while increaseing their abilities along the way.

[quote name='Josh5890']I don't see how sports games are proved to be garbage here?[/QUOTE]

because he plays madden on a wii with guitar controllers.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']He didnt says all.[/QUOTE]

yeah. I don't think elessar understands venn diagrams.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']He didnt says all.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']because he plays madden on a wii with guitar controllers.

yeah. I don't think elessar understands venn diagrams.[/QUOTE]

lol I wasn't even disagreeing, but you two are so used to defending confoosious's ass apparently, that every quote of confoosious is taken as a stab. Good job, cause I guess it more often than not, is.

[quote name='elessar123']lol I wasn't even disagreeing, but you two are so used to defending confoosious's ass apparently, that every quote of confoosious is taken as a stab. Good job, cause I guess it more often than not, is.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't a defense. Your logic just didn't fit.

[quote name='confoosious']Your english is better than half the native speakers on CAG. Be proud.[/QUOTE]
Thanks buddy. you just made my day a little better.

I'm a musician. I find it more offensive that people who call themselves "controllerists" consider themselves musicians. I wish they would all dubstep off a roof.

[quote name='slowdive21']I'm a musician. I find it more offensive that people who call themselves "controllerists" consider themselves musicians. I wish they would all dubstep off a roof.[/QUOTE]

lmao that would be something to see.

[quote name='elessar123']lol I wasn't even disagreeing, but you two are so used to defending confoosious's ass apparently, that every quote of confoosious is taken as a stab. Good job, cause I guess it more often than not, is.[/QUOTE]

Confoosious and I hardly ever agree on anything. You just didn't understand what was being said. No one insulted you. Stop with the tantrum and calm down.

[quote name='slowdive21']I'm a musician. I find it more offensive that people who call themselves "controllerists" consider themselves musicians. I wish they would all dubstep off a roof.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a little different, lol. Wow..."controllerists". That's just as bad as a guitarist being self-righteous about people just wanting to have a little fun. I've played guitar for 12 years, and I love Rock Band because I love music. It exposes me to music that I wouldn't know about or think about otherwise. I enjoy a wide variety of musical styles, and I like singing different stuff. I also like playing drums to chick rock (Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Heart, etc). It's just a good time. And occasionally, I can even appreciate the finger workout that expert guitar gives me. I don't take the game too seriously. Nor do I take myself too seriously. And it becomes even better when played in a group. Rock Band allows me to enjoy two of my passions at the same time. Nothing more. Nothing less.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But apparently some of these stores fail to remember what the word THRIFT means when pricing shit.:roll:[/QUOTE]

It means selling things to benefit a charitable organization, which is exactly what Goodwill does. It has absolutely nothing to do with how they price things.

Thanks to this thread I'm now going to list my Guitar Hero 2 on eBay (with the wired guitar). I would have never thought it would be worth anything again. I looked up completed listings and they pretty much all sold, and for a good amount. Thanks for clueing me in.

[quote name='Survivalism']It means selling things to benefit a charitable organization, which is exactly what Goodwill does. It has absolutely nothing to do with how they price things.[/QUOTE]

IATCG thinks that whenever he sells something, it should be at sky high prices, but whenever he buys something he expects that everyone else will have low low prices. He thinks the term "buy low, sell high" refers to his and only his personal retail experience.

edit: this should in no way be interpreted as complimentary.

[quote name='jsivley']Thanks to this thread I'm now going to list my Guitar Hero 2 on eBay (with the wired guitar). I would have never thought it would be worth anything again. I looked up completed listings and they pretty much all sold, and for a good amount. Thanks for clueing me in.[/QUOTE]

Which one? the X-plorer? I might have one of those lying around.

[quote name='Shadowiii']I remember last time this happened it was with a bunch of video game themed wallets. I knew they were going to destroy them so I went and they were still on the shelves, and I tried buying them (rang up 1 cent). They then took them away and said I couldn't have them since they had to throw them away. I insisted but they refused.
Needless to say we dont' go to that gamestop anymore. Come on, guys. You would rather destroy them than just let me have them?[/QUOTE]

The employee could get fired if it was known they give away Field destroy merchandise. Stupid yes, but that's how it is.

[quote name='XF Gator']Wow, the employees might then have to take a break from taring up penny guides to clean or replace green cases.

Looks like a Gamestop parking lot:
http://www.thehighdefinite.com/2011/05/justice/[/QUOTE]
:lol:That's one limber dog to be able to crap on that lil space by the back window.
[quote name='technole']Agreed. Plus I always thought those who say the genre sucked, were never good at music games in the first place ;)[/QUOTE]
Except that if you really think about it all most of these 'music games' are is a glorified game of Simon. Compare the colored buttons on a RB/GH guitar to the buttons on the old Simon game. Notice any similarities?;) The only difference between Simon and GH/RB is that you have to on occasion hold down the buttons and/or strum the 'guitar' in those games.

Otherwise it really is the same game.:razz:

And I'll bet you play shoegazing/dream pop. ;)

[quote name='Survivalism']It means selling things to benefit a charitable organization, which is exactly what Goodwill does. It has absolutely nothing to do with how they price things.[/QUOTE]
While I don't begrudge them making money to support the organization, there is a limit to how much they really should charge for stuff. I've seen years old entertainment centers for TV's in my local Salvation Army stores that cost as much as(if not MORE than) a brand new one from Wally World. You're telling me it's 100% right for them to charge $60 for someone elses' already assembled(and wobbly) old tv stand that they got for free as a donation?

I won't even get into the DVD's/CD's/games they get in, but let's just say I could buy em way cheaper elsewhere most times.:roll:
[quote name='confoosious']IATCG thinks that whenever he sells something, it should be at sky high prices, but whenever he buys something he expects that everyone else will have low low prices. He thinks the term "buy low, sell high" refers to his and only his personal retail experience.

edit: this should in no way be interpreted as complimentary.[/QUOTE]
Is this not the way of the world though? Like I said, I don't really begrudge them trying to make money to support their charitable endeavours. But when they're paying their CEO hundreds of thousands of dollars and pricing their stuff worse than what it costs to buy NEW in a regular retail store, that's when I take issue with the pricing.

I was last in a GameStop maybe a year or a year and a half ago. Some mom was trading in her ungrateful son's stack of Wii games, getting jack shit in TIV like usual. The guy working the counter said that while they can't give her any trade in credit for the plastic guitar, GameStop takes them and gives them away to free for people who buy the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games.

:roll:

I assume the employee was taking the plastic controllers for himself, taking the plastic controllers as inventory and selling them in a 100% profit action for GameStop, or that he just amassed a pile in the back and maybe they'll use those guitars to up their inventory to get a bigger tax write off when they destroy them. It's definitely pessimistic of me, but I doubt GameStop is in the charity business of helping out customers who purchase rhythm guitar games by giving them free plastic guitars.

[quote name='savagepastry']And I'll bet you play shoegazing/dream pop. ;)[/QUOTE]

Haha. How did you guess? I would like to, but sadly I've been in mostly punk bands playing drums.

Really? They actually call themselves controllerists?

I play some guitar, but I would never think i was a guitarist because I can hit 5 buttons in sync

Saw a funny quote online the other day

What's the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist

The Jazz guitarist plays 1000 chords in front of 3 people
The Rock guitarist plays 3 chords in front of 1000 people.

That is the most true statement I've read in a LONG time.

[quote name='slowdive21']I'm talking about these people, not GH players:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controllerism

http://www.controllerism.com/[/QUOTE]

Oh look, i can mix OTHER PEOPLE'S MUSIC and i'm now a musician /sigh

And I liked guitar hero and rock band, but when I moved on to the real thing i just kind of didn't want to play them anymore. They can be good for music in general. I'm sure a lot of people picked up a real guitar after playing these (Kind of like I did), but their usefulness wears out once you start the real thing.

[quote name='slowdive21']Haha. How did you guess? I would like to, but sadly I've been in mostly punk bands playing drums.[/QUOTE]

Your name, of course.

I've been trying to find a rock band guitar that's cheaper than what amazon is pricing one as ($30) but I can't seem to find any. I called around all the gamestops and used game stores and no one seems to have any :cry:

I was kind of hoping that this thread was going to have stories about dumpster diving at midnight looking for controllers and being questioned by the police. Unfortunately it isn't what I hoped for :(

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You're telling me it's 100% right for them to charge $60 for someone elses' already assembled(and wobbly) old tv stand that they got for free as a donation?[/QUOTE]

I would bet that, more often than not, that's probably due more to the greed of the person donating the item, than anything else. The person donates the item, wants a receipt for tax purposes, and tells them the value is what they paid for it a decade prior. So then they price it much lower than the value they were told, and it's still insanely high.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']While I don't begrudge them making money to support the organization, there is a limit to how much they really should charge for stuff. I've seen years old entertainment centers for TV's in my local Salvation Army stores that cost as much as(if not MORE than) a brand new one from Wally World. You're telling me it's 100% right for them to charge $60 for someone elses' already assembled(and wobbly) old tv stand that they got for free as a donation?

I won't even get into the DVD's/CD's/games they get in, but let's just say I could buy em way cheaper elsewhere most times.:roll:

Is this not the way of the world though? Like I said, I don't really begrudge them trying to make money to support their charitable endeavours. But when they're paying their CEO hundreds of thousands of dollars and pricing their stuff worse than what it costs to buy NEW in a regular retail store, that's when I take issue with the pricing.[/QUOTE]

oh who gives a flying fuck. if you don't like the pricing, don't buy it. Do you have no concept of how pricing works? You price something at however much you think it will sell for. You get some right and you get some wrong. It's not a goddamn conspiracy or some nefarious plot by goodwill.

The people who work there price it the best they can. They're not exactly up to date on every single item people bring in. They're just trying to see what works. When they price rare GBA games for $1, do you roll your eyes, give them the ass face, and demand to pay more? It's a damn charity for petes sake. What is wrong with you?

You always bring up CEOs making hundreds of thousands of dollars no matter who the retailer is. Why don't you get yourself an education, become CEO and see how much fun that is instead of whining about it all the time.

[quote name='sassylaurie']I hope those who are feeling green are buying all their games via digital format since CD/DVD media takes 100+ years to decompose.[/QUOTE]
Sure thing. Soon as they discount the digital versions of the games to the cheapest price I can buy them at at Target and other places.;)

[quote name='lllGurulll']people still play the guitar games?[/QUOTE]

I do and still buying songs like theirs no tomorrow :D

no one is going to give you free stuff so people can go and flip on ebay or amazon for money... why would a company give you free stuff to make you money?

Unless some of you are generous in your own life, don't expect companies to do the same

[quote name='Lordd_G']Thank goodness this plastic instrument controller fad is officially over!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Totally agreed! Now if Nintendo would just stop making pointless plastic peripherals that are good for only one game all would be well. I refuse to buy any game that requires an extra piece of plastic, since I simply do not have the space to store extra stuff.

[quote name='salty tbone']I never realized music games were such a burden to so many CAGs.[/QUOTE]

seriously. it's like someone FORCED them to buy them or something and clutter their houses.

I did not buy any music games, because reason one, I do not have the space for all the stuff they require. If I were to bring in a rock band drumset here, it would take up the whole space between my TV and the back of the bed here, leaving me no where to sit to actually play the game.

Reason 2, I listen to Japanese music, these games don't have any songs I like and know on them. In order to get the Japanese versions of the games, if they exist that is, I would have to jump through tons of hoops, like importing a Japanese console from Japan and the actual game from Japan as well in order to have it the way I want it. Even if I were to play the US versions, it would just leave me longing for Japanese versions with songs I like on them.

Dunno. This is my latest controller - I guess I'm a controllerist ;)

front.jpg

[quote name='Josh5890']I was kind of hoping that this thread was going to have stories about dumpster diving at midnight looking for controllers and being questioned by the police. Unfortunately it isn't what I hoped for :([/QUOTE]

I've actually been checking around my area the past few days but came up short, not one plastic peripheral in Oscar's neighborhood. I got excited when I came across a box of about 25 PS2 games, but alas... it just ended up being the manuals and cases (which could be recycled). It's also been a bitch trying to find a GameStop that doesn't share dumpster space with some kind of fast food joint.

I did end up finding an original Xbox with AV & AC cables, along with a MadCatz wireless controller. Thoroughly cleaned it up, then fired it up, and it works just fine. Can't figure out why GameStop or an angry customer would just throw away a working system instead of dropping it off at Goodwill or giving it to some friends/relatives.

This is actually tempting to go check out. I have a GH2 Xplorer that is still going strong, and the Beatles RB controller that came with the deluxe Beatles RB package I won from the Pepsi promotion a few years back, but there is still going to be a time when those wear out and they don't make them anymore. Not sure if I have the guts to go into a Gamestop and ask if they have any guitar controllers they are throwing away though.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Thanks god this terrible genre is dying.[/QUOTE]

Thank(s) god you're an idiot.

[quote name='SaraAB']I did not buy any music games, because reason one, I do not have the space for all the stuff they require. If I were to bring in a rock band drumset here, it would take up the whole space between my TV and the back of the bed here, leaving me no where to sit to actually play the game.

Reason 2, I listen to Japanese music, these games don't have any songs I like and know on them. In order to get the Japanese versions of the games, if they exist that is, I would have to jump through tons of hoops, like importing a Japanese console from Japan and the actual game from Japan as well in order to have it the way I want it. Even if I were to play the US versions, it would just leave me longing for Japanese versions with songs I like on them.[/QUOTE]

...why did you post this? Who cares why you didn't buy them? What does that have to do with this deal? The blog feature is there for a reason.

I saw this coming. The GH/RB franchises tapped into a huge market of casual players who weren't into traditional controller-based games. It made for a great party game that anyone could pick up and play, so a ton of them were sold, and sequel after sequel was produced. Eventually the novelty wore off, and all of those casual players dumped them. It's similar to what happened with the Wii.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Except that if you really think about it all most of these 'music games' are is a glorified game of Simon. Compare the colored buttons on a RB/GH guitar to the buttons on the old Simon game. Notice any similarities?;) The only difference between Simon and GH/RB is that you have to on occasion hold down the buttons and/or strum the 'guitar' in those games.
[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. Simon is purely a memory game, in that you don't get any preview of what notes are coming. You have to memorize the entire sequence and add a new note each time. Also, GH/RB are more timing-based. Simon doesn't care how far apart you hit the notes, as long as you do it before its internal timer (which you can't see) runs out. Plus with Simon, one mistake ends your game.

To take your argument to the ridiculous extreme: Compare the colors of the ABXY buttons on an XBox controller. They're the same as Simon as well. So are you saying the XBox is just a glorified version of Simon? I mean, all you have to do is press those buttons, often in the right order while having good timing, plus occasionally move an analog stick or two and hit a couple of shoulder buttons and triggers?

bread's done
Back