Gamestop Throwing Away Guitar Controllers - YMMV

Ronin317

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I was in Gamestop tonight trading in my old 360 for a new slim on that sweet PUR deal, and also picked up a new mic for RB3.

Since I was buying the mic, the manager asked me if I wanted any USED GH Guitars for free. He says "We got a corporate memo to field destroy any we had in stock. Take em all, I don't care." And shows me the memo.

SO...for those of you who happen to feel like dumpster diving, tonight and the next day or so, you should be able to grab all the guitar controllers your heart desires at many GS locations... as always, YMMV. If there are any GS employees, feel free to confirm or deny, but the memo I saw looked like it was dated today, 3.9.12. Not sure if it's regional, either. I'm in Pittsburgh, FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='soonersfan60']If you want companies to give stuff away instead of destroying it, then you need to lobby to change tax & accounting laws. Can't believe I'm defending GS, but they must do that in order to legally get the credit from the publisher or the government (depending on where their credit is coming from in that situation).[/QUOTE]

Yep this is exactly why. Same thing as the guides being pennied out & having the covers destroyed before being dumped.

FYI the market for used guitars now is insane. I sold my 2 lightly used 360 wired guitars from GH 2 for $45/each on Amazon last month.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Pictures of them destroyed, basically the government wants proof that you didn't lie, and pictures of said "unsellable merchandise" that's destroyed beyond use is what they need.

My friend once had to be part of a field destroy when Gamestop decided to stop selling "classic" games (SNES, NES, N64, etc) and he watched as they completely smashed (boards and all) tons of games including games such as Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2-3, Chrono Trigger and more.

Guitars, who cares? You can buy 50 at any flea market. Watching as Earthbound gets smashed to shit, now that's sad.[/QUOTE]

Thats so messed up, even more when you consider that GameStop NOW uses classic games as prizes in their Power up rewards program, and at outrageous point amounts at that!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That is the only 'green'(money) they care about, just like the companies that're making those 'eco' cases now for games and movies. Those cases are so flimsy sometimes that you then have to replace them with a non 'eco' case and end up tossing out that junky one. So how exactly does that help the Earth?:roll::whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Actually... GameStop buys Best Buy and Blockbuster's trash. Seriously. That's how you see so many "used" DS games that look brand new. These are your "Bobby the Worm" DS games or "Balls of Fury" for the Wii that Best Buy decided to dump to GameStop for pennies since nobody bought them at their stores.

When I worked at GameStop, one time I saw a pile of brand new, sealed, still in the original box XBOX 1 console at their Distribution Center. I asked a manager how we still had those (this was 2010) and he said that Blockbuster dumped these to GameStop when they bought some of their other trash.

In short, Best Buy and other retailers dump their trash for pennies to GameStop. I am sure some of those guitars came from some of these stores.

[quote name='Cmosfm']For those who don't understand the way "field destroy" works:

Destroying"an item (as opposed to giving it away to customers), and providing documented evidence that they've been destroyed, results in a pretty hefty tax write-off for unsellable goods. Could they donate them to Goodwill for a tax write off as well? Yes, but the write-offs for donations are limited.

So before you go knocking any store for being "big-ol meanies" for not selling you items at a penny, business is business, and giving it away means they lose money.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZRqH7sRyA&feature=youtu.be

they should have given them away to the homeless. who could be scared of a homeless person gently clicking away at a fake guitar? and they could make some extra money doing corner concerts. of course at night that could be kind of creepy hearing that clicking and not being sure where its coming from.

i agree with that other poster though im glad the genre is dying theres still a new one coming out where you use real guitars but its looking like theyll pull the plug on this in time. maybe theyll go back to doing parappas or um jammer lammys.

What are you going to do with those controllers anyway? selling them would be really time consuming since its dirt cheap, and would it be worth your time and effort? they should give them to the salvation army or something there are deserving families who cant afford video games.....but then they would have to buy a console.... hmmmmm

[quote name='LD_Helix']What are you going to do with those controllers anyway? selling them would be really time consuming since its dirt cheap, and would it be worth your time and effort? they should give them to the salvation army or something there are deserving families who cant afford video games.....but then they would have to buy a console.... hmmmmm[/QUOTE]

Go on ebay. Type in "Guitar Controllers"

FYI if they're field destroying these guitars "properly," then they are cutting the cords off so they can't be connected. I was told that's what they had to do with one of those WWE All Stars small arcade sticks that was bought then returned b/c they didn't like it.

The DM is the one that does almost all field destroy in my area. The workers always talk about how good she is at tearing off covers of the hardback CE guides.

[quote name='LD_Helix']What are you going to do with those controllers anyway? selling them would be really time consuming since its dirt cheap, and would it be worth your time and effort? they should give them to the salvation army or something there are deserving families who cant afford video games.....but then they would have to buy a console.... hmmmmm[/QUOTE]

Look about 5 posts up. I sold 2 for $45 each on Amazon last month from my personal collection I no longer use.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI the market for used guitars now is insane. I sold my 2 lightly used 360 wired guitars from GH 2 for $45/each on Amazon last month.[/QUOTE]

Wow. To be fair, there were only two of wired guitars on 360, as wired guitars were only made for Guitar Hero 2 and Rock Band. Rock Band wired guitars were horrible, so I can kinda see why GH2 X-Plorers would keep value.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Thanks god this terrible genre is dying.[/QUOTE]

Dying? Hahahaha, not even close, lil' guy.

You guys don't know what Chuck E Cheese does with the arcade games when they are done with them, it would make you all cry, just think of all the games that were destroyed over the years.... (They have to smash up any arcade game they are getting rid of, then take a picture of the rubble and send to HQ from what I heard). The employees aren't even allowed to take parts for themselves.

Honestly with the guitar controllers you can't give them away and they aren't even selling at yard sales, so its not like there is demand for this particular item. I can see why they are throwing them out.

I've had one in my trunk for two years I can't fucking get rid of. I left the drums in my old house when I moved. I'm reasonably sure they're still there.

I see a lot of them at the Goodwill rotting away when I go out on my ol' game hunts. Not saying I'm going to pay shipping or anything here, but I'd pretty much take any old guitar (or anything, really) controller for free, for soldering practice.

I'm starting to get images of a guitar bonfire with Beavis chanting "fire" in the background.

I don't recall Gamestop ever putting those guitars on sale. If they had a "Spend x amount of dollars on rhythm games, get a guitar/drumset/keyboard free" or "Buy a controller, get x amount of guitar games free" sale, I'd bite on the 360 controller(s).

This coming from a guy who has 4 PS2 guitars (1 broken) and 2 PS3 guitars. Take an arrow to the knee and leave those instruments alone, Gamestop.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Look about 5 posts up. I sold 2 for $45 each on Amazon last month from my personal collection I no longer use.[/QUOTE]
ok so you manage to sell yours doesn't mean that everyone else can sell the theirs I have a couple controllers, tried to trade them in a couple months back and gamestop wont accept them and i dont have time for selling them online

Although they won't give them to you if they already have them, I was in a store were someone tried to trade in two guitars and they couldn't accept them, so I was offered them.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Go on ebay. Type in "Guitar Controllers"[/QUOTE]
I did, some of them are selling at a decent price while most are just accessories for the controllers which no one is buying, the problem with ebay is are the people bidding actually buying and listing in the hundreds is a low market, which is the reason i only buy on ebay and stop selling on it.

"Guitar Controllers" ... ALL controllers? Guitar Hero only? Rock Band?

No way they are throwing out the RB Mustang.

[quote name='TheJayxor392']And before anyone asks, yes, the Employee that the OP is talking about could very well lose his job if anyone from corporate found this thread.[/QUOTE]

:roll: Look, I get what you're trying to say, but let's be realistic here - there's not enough personally identifiable info to do much of anything. You're being melodramatic.

[quote name='LD_Helix']ok so you manage to sell yours doesn't mean that everyone else can sell the theirs I have a couple controllers, tried to trade them in a couple months back and gamestop wont accept them and i dont have time for selling them online[/QUOTE]

Yet you have enough time to post this - it literally takes 3 minutes flat to list something on Amazon. Take a couple of minutes, literally minutes, and make yourself some money.

[quote name='SJBenoist']"Guitar Controllers" ... ALL controllers? Guitar Hero only? Rock Band?

No way they are throwing out the RB Mustang.[/QUOTE]

I was given all of their USED GH controllers, and they all happened to be for :360:. I was told they're supposed to also ditch the :ps3: and :wii: ones, but they didn't have any.

Anyways...all 4 tested out. 2 of them are fucking filthy...one of the Les Pauls is missing a battery door...so I'll offer that up to any CAG for a $15 Amazon GC, and I'll cover shipping (not to turn this into a trade thread). I'm cleaning them up now, but fuck me are these stickers a bitch to get off, since they're laminated.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'd rather pay a bum $5 to walk into a GS store and take dump in the middle of the floor or one of the uhh dump bins they put the lower priced 360 and such games in.;)[/QUOTE]

:bow: thats what i call thinking outside the box lol

[quote name='Ronin317']Yet you have enough time to post this - it literally takes 3 minutes flat to list something on Amazon. Take a couple of minutes, literally minutes, and make yourself some money.[/QUOTE]

Haha, seriously! I love this line of thinking. Even if it took him an hour to list one guitar (which, let's be honest, with that grammar, is entirely possible)...and he "only" made $30 off of it, that's $30 for an hour of work. Must have a damn good job if that's not "worth the time". In reality though, we're most likely talking to 14 year old wankers who don't know their head from their ass. And so, the world just keeps on turning. :)

[quote name='MSUHitman']The DM is the one that does almost all field destroy in my area. The workers always talk about how good she is at tearing off covers of the hardback CE guides.[/QUOTE]

:cry: I still like the strategy guides... I think a part of me just died inside.

As far as I know the xplorers for 360 are the only ones of value fetching around 30 on ebay, because they are compatible with pc frets on fire as well. I also always preferred that controller when playing guitar hero games. But look out for those.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yep this is exactly why. Same thing as the guides being pennied out & having the covers destroyed before being dumped.[/QUOTE]

That pisses me off. I used to work at Toys R' Us on the overnight crew. We had to rebuild stuff, and throw out old display Xbox 360 consoles. The controller was still wrapped in the bag. :cry: They also had 50 or so strat guides where they would throw them in the dumpster. Some people raided the garbage can for the posters and whatnot, lol. They were huge posters too. It just sucks.

This is where Target really shines. They simply salvage all of their unwanted junk to the Goodwill. Not donations, mind you; the Goodwill buys all of the Target merchandise in one lump giant bulk at a salvage price.

Of course, it all falls apart when my local Goodwill sells the Target salvage items (they keep them in a designated "new goods" section of the store), they price them almost always higher than the lowest Target Clearance price was.

"If I didn't buy this when I saw it at Target for $2.97, I'm certainly not paying Goodwill $5 for it!"

[quote name='AugustAPC']I read the title and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. "guitar controllers", lol. This genre always sucked :|[/QUOTE]

It may have sucked for you, but some of the most memorable moments from high school include Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

[quote name='confoosious']How could you possibly begrudge goodwill trying to sell the items at whatever they think they can sell it for?[/QUOTE]
The same way that I can begrudge the Salvation Army for pricing used books at 80% off cover price instead of $1-2 each at most. They get the shit for FREE via donations. But apparently some of these stores fail to remember what the word THRIFT means when pricing shit.:roll:

Checked the Galleria Mall location. They don't carry the guitars anymore. I probably won't search anymore stores. I have like 5-6 guitars in the basement.

Nobody believed me when I said Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Call of Duty, and sports games are garbage. Here's your proof.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Im pretty sure everyone is throwing these away.[/QUOTE]

I agree
9.gif

[quote name='Nintendonly']Nobody believed me when I said Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Call of Duty, and sports games are garbage. Here's your proof.[/QUOTE]

Your're one fucking hardcore badass mofo. What's your Twitter handle? I want to follow your every thought.

Yeah, nuts to you people. GH was the last decent game Activision put out before they became irrelevant. I know, I know, the yearly release got a little old and it's probably their fault the genre hit a low point. We really didn't need to be saturated with instruments. I still kinda like GH/RB though, it's something different. I chose drumming instead of the guitar stuff in case that matters. Variety in my gaming library is necessary, that's why I refuse the 360.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'd rather pay a bum $5 to walk into a GS store and take dump in the middle of the floor or one of the uhh dump bins they put the lower priced 360 and such games in.;)[/QUOTE]

Wow, the employees might then have to take a break from taring up penny guides to clean or replace green cases.

Looks like a Gamestop parking lot:
http://www.thehighdefinite.com/2011/05/justice/

Had not seen any peripherals at any GS lately, but I asked some GS buddies and none of them carried them for awhile.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']It may have sucked for you, but some of the most memorable moments from high school include Rock Band/Guitar Hero.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Plus I always thought those who say the genre sucked, were never good at music games in the first place ;)

[quote name='AugustAPC']I read the title and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. "guitar controllers", lol. This genre always sucked :|[/QUOTE]

You've obviously never played it with friends and alcohol.

If anyone can pick up some guitars for the 360, please please please PM me! I live in Brooklyn, where retailers got rid of their guitars a while back. But I still love Rock Band, and I would love to get some more guitars!

PM me, and I will totally pay some shipping costs to get some Xbox 360 guitars!!!!

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']You've obviously never played it with friends and alcohol.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Many many fun nights have been had.

Rock Band 3 is still awesome.

Also, if you buy a MIDI guitar (or one of the special Squire guitars), you can actually learn to play. Nothing "fake" about it.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Nobody believed me when I said Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Call of Duty, and sports games are garbage. Here's your proof.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! youre so much better than everyone else for not liking what others like!

There are two types of people who don't like GH games:

1) Joyless people who suck at life
2) "real" guitarists who think they're super cool cause they play real guitar so they turn their noses at GH/RB

Although come to think of it, 2 falls under 1.

[quote name='Shadowiii']I remember last time this happened it was with a bunch of video game themed wallets. I knew they were going to destroy them so I went and they were still on the shelves, and I tried buying them (rang up 1 cent). They then took them away and said I couldn't have them since they had to throw them away. I insisted but they refused.
Needless to say we dont' go to that gamestop anymore. Come on, guys. You would rather destroy them than just let me have them?[/QUOTE]

Most stores have a claims process that will recoup the cost of the item from corporate. If they sold them to you they'd simply be taking a huge loss on the item. I know it's silly but that's how claims work for tons of companies.

[quote name='confoosious']There are two types of people who don't like GH games:

1) Joyless people who suck at life
2) "real" guitarists who think they're super cool cause they play real guitar so they turn their noses at GH/RB

Although come to think of it, 2 falls under 1.[/QUOTE]
I don't understand the "real" guitarists that hate these games. I've played guitar for 23 years and love the gh/rb games. Apples and oranges in my book.

bread's done
Back