Gamestop to stop taking in original Xbox game trades as of February 9th!

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
I posted this info in a couple of the GS threads but I think it deserves special attention as it is a landmark of sorts.

Gamestop is beginning the gradual phase-out of original Xbox games and the first step is that they will stop taking trades for them on February 9th.

I asked about Gamecube and they said with the full compatibility of the Wii they will continue to take those in for trade for a while longer (though this was just a store manager I was talking to and he may not have all the info with respect to that). I didn't bother asking about PS2 - I assume they will still do a good volume of trading/selling of those for a while.

The reason to spotlight this in a new thread in the Deals forum is for two reasons. First, those sitting on some old Xbox games they want to dump should do so this weekend as the GS tiered trade-in offer has its final day on Sunday. Trade in 5 or more games and with the Egde card you will get a 40% boost. There are no restrictions. Check out this thread for details and a decent list of trade-in values:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202411

While a lot of Xbox games get less than $1, there are some surprises in there. Star Wars Battlefront II, KOTOR II, and GTA San Andreas all fetch over $8 in base trade-in value, making them $10+ with the promo.

The second reason is that for anyone looking to pick up some Xbox games to complete their collection or whatever, this is probably the best time to get them at GS as their stock will only begin to decline in the coming months. Right now, through Jan. 8th, there is a 25% off last-gen used game coupon good for up to 5 games at once:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209507

Of course, you could wait and see if they end up clearancing them out after they stop taking trade-ins, but if there's anything you are dying to get, I'd use the coupon and get it now.

Note to other mods - let's keep this in the Deals forum at least through the end of the tiered trade-in offer (Sunday) as hopefully it will steer some CAGs to that deal who otherwise wouldn't find out about it. Then I'll move it to Deal Discussion.

GameStop employees rejoice! No longer will we be subjected to stickering piles upon piles of traded in Xbox collections, alphabetizing the Xbox bin or denying returns for failed Xbox mods!

and this is a deal how? thanks for telling us though, I am not trying to be mean but if you think about it, not really.

A: Not a deal.
B: I'm surprised it took this long. Wasn't the last published xbox game almost 3 years ago now?

[quote name='ferzan']and this is a deal how? thanks for telling us though, I am not trying to be mean but if you think about it, not really.[/QUOTE]

Well then dont think about it. He explained it. Thanks OP.

I have expected this for a while now. With the PS2 still selling well and the full backwards compatibility of the Wii, XBox had to be the first of the last gen systems to be phased out. Gamestop has also had B2G1F and other specials in the past that only applied to the XBox titles, so inventory reduction of those games seems to have been something of a priority for a while.

I'll certainly be heading down there before they clear out all of their stock and taking home whatever I can. The XBox was my backup system last time, the PS2 was my primary, so I missed a lot of games back then because my main focus was on the PS2. I'm glad I get a slight reprieve in my hunt for PS2 and Gamecube games, though. I can't focus on too many systems and still expect to get all of the games I'm looking for.

[quote name='mietha']A: Not a deal.
B: I'm surprised it took this long. Wasn't the last published xbox game almost 3 years ago now?[/QUOTE]

Actually, the last published XBox game was Madden 08 released August 2007. Ratatouille and I think a couple of others were also released in 07. I don't think there was anything really major, just the usual end of system life stuff.

Sometimes it's worth picking up a copy of the games that were released at the end of a systems life because many times they don't sell well because most players have moved on to newer systems and you end up with some rarities like Chrono Trigger which came out very near the end of life for the SNES which, apart from being one of the greatest RPG's ever, is why it is worth so much.

Ah jeez I just started making an Xbox collection of BC titles for the 360. Now it seems I'll have to step it up to make sure I'll be able to find everything.

[quote name='CheepGamez']Actually, the last published XBox game was Madden 08 released August 2007. Ratatouille and I think a couple of others were also released in 07. I don't think there was anything really major, just the usual end of system life stuff.

Sometimes it's worth picking up a copy of the games that were released at the end of a systems life because many times they don't sell well because most players have moved on to newer systems and you end up with some rarities like Chrono Trigger which came out very near the end of life for the SNES which, apart from being one of the greatest RPG's ever, is why it is worth so much.[/quote]

Actually, the last game released on the Xbox was Madden 2009.

At the GS stores I usually go to, they've already forsaken the xbox games to the same bin that the DVDs are thrown in so I guess it was only a matter of time.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Ah jeez I just started making an Xbox collection of BC titles for the 360. Now it seems I'll have to step it up to make sure I'll be able to find everything.[/QUOTE]

^^^ To those wondering why this is in the Deals forum here's why. Now Nikadimas knows he can use the 25% off last-gen games [highlight]deal[/highlight] that he might not otherwise have acted on at this time to grab those BC games he wants ;).

A long time coming...although people may have trouble grabbing gems like Stubbs the Zombie and Raze's Hell...if you see those grab them before its too late....especially Stubbs.

[quote name='io']^^^ To those wondering why this is in the Deals forum here's why. Now Nikadimas knows he can use the 25% off last-gen games [highlight]deal[/highlight] that he might not otherwise have acted on at this time to grab those BC games he wants ;).[/QUOTE]

And I as well as now begins the hunt for some games that I had been putting off looking for. Thanks IO for the info.

[quote name='Rollobobo']A long time coming...although people may have trouble grabbing gems like Stubbs the Zombie and Raze's Hell...if you see those grab them before its too late....especially Stubbs.[/QUOTE] You can download both on XBOX Live as an alternative.

This kind of sucks, I've been filling in my old XBox collection when they have sales. I guess I have almost everything for that system that I want anyway, but it still sucks. Going there to search for super cheap old Xbox games was one of the main reasons I went to GameStop.

Good looking out, Io...I don't trade my games, but there are a couple I guess I better get cracking on and pick up to finish my collection.

[quote name='allout1986']Actually, the last game released on the Xbox was Madden 2009.[/QUOTE]

That's a surprise. EA doesn't even mention it on the Madden site.

[quote name='TimPV3']GameStop employees rejoice! No longer will we be subjected to stickering piles upon piles of traded in Xbox collections, alphabetizing the Xbox bin or denying returns for failed Xbox mods![/quote]

Yar!

Thanks for posting this, I was out hunting for Xbox games yesterday, and was wondering why one of the local GS stores had shipped all their Xbox inventory to a different (larger) store. Great timing with the 25% off coupon too!

It seems a bit early to get rid of these considering how long they had PSone games, but I guess most of the floor space in my two Gamestops are cluttered up with Guitar Hero and Rock Band stuff. I have most of the Xbox games I want anyway.

[quote name='Chuplayer']This is stupid. Oh well, just another reason to not renew my Edge membership.[/quote]

How so? The 360 came out over three years ago and replaced a system that is emulates like crap. As others have said, it's a surprise it took them this long.

Anyway, thanks for the info, io.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']How so? The 360 came out over three years ago and replaced a system that is emulates like crap. As others have said, it's a surprise it took them this long.[/QUOTE]

People still have original Xbox consoles, and some people do want to play original Xbox games on their 360 when the 360 emulates them well.

This is a bit soon, especially with 360 Backwards Compatibility still working on new models, unlike the PS3.

There's lots of people still playing just the original Xbox too. I always see people browsing that section at the local stores.

Maybe they got fed up with paying $15 for copies of San Andreas and Battlefront 2 from Hollywood Video.. lol.

[quote name='Chuplayer']People still have original Xbox consoles, and some people do want to play original Xbox games on their 360 when the 360 emulates them well.[/quote]

Not enough to make it a wise business move from GameStop's perspective apparently. They see no reason to waste floor space with something a few people might be interested in.

It's always sad to see used game support of an old console leave. Gamestop could be a wonder-store if only they carried retro games going back to PS1, Dreamcast, NES, etc. I guess I'd better pick up whatever original Xbox games I want since I clearly won't be seeing the section for much longer.

I do sort of understand it, though. For some reason the original Xbox was widely abandoned once the 360 came out. I mean, just look at the Xbox forum here, it's dead. PS2 still goes strong, though.

[quote name='ferzan']and this is a deal how? thanks for telling us though, I am not trying to be mean but if you think about it, not really.[/quote]

Dude, shut up, honestly.

[quote name='Vegan']It's always sad to see used game support of an old console leave. Gamestop could be a wonder-store if only they carried retro games going back to PS1, Dreamcast, NES, etc. I guess I'd better pick up whatever original Xbox games I want since I clearly won't be seeing the section for much longer.

I do sort of understand it, though. For some reason the original Xbox was widely abandoned once the 360 came out. I mean, just look at the Xbox forum here, it's dead. PS2 still goes strong, though.[/quote]

I totally agree. I remember just 5 years ago, I was still able to pick up a few NES games in Gamestop (how I reacquired Tecmo Super Bowl). I think the market is just so saturated now, there's no room for all this stuff. Plus, most stores are painfully small.

With as much profit as the company makes, you'd think they could afford to expand a little. The last 3 weeks in Gamestop stores have been pure hell. I'd like to know how much business they lost because of people refusing to join the mosh pit.

Hmm... Still debating on this... I have quite a few xbox games that I would love to continue playing on the 360, but MS has quietly forgotten about updating BC so I can never play some of the other games (like castlevania) on the 360. Trading in at gamestop is just a slap in the face even with bonuses, it's like a light slap.

Have there been any other significant price drops on original Xbox games lately? I haven't set foot in a Gamestop store since they gave away my Persona 4 pre-order art book.

Sounds good. Hopefully they'll become 75% off like GB games eventually.

Time to do some flips from bookman's to gs with some SWBFII.

[quote name='darkslime']Sounds good. Hopefully they'll become 75% off like GB games eventually.

Time to do some flips from bookman's to gs with some SWBFII.[/quote]

Yeah I am hoping this soon as well.

If they stop taking in GBC trade ins as of April 2008 and the sale for 75% started in November

hopfully that would lead the Xbox games going on sale 7 months from February; in September. Or they could just go on sale during the holidays.

But thats just wishful thinking. ;)

Do any of you original CAGers remember the time around they cleared out PS1 games? or how about Dreamcast? How long did they keep the games after they stopped trading them in? And what kind of sale did they use to clearance them?

I remember when I was an 'adolescent' and one of the GS employees said they stopped trading in PS1 games and they were going to ship them back to a warehouse to dispose/destroy of them.

I wish I bought all my PS1 gems before that occured.

[quote name='darkslime']Sounds good. Hopefully they'll become 75% off like GB games eventually.

Time to do some flips from bookman's to gs with some SWBFII.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I didn't even know it was possible to flip with Bookman's prices.

Thanks, IO for the heads up. I too will be waiting for 75% off, although I'd pick some up at 50% off.

I had heard this being talked about by a manager in gamestop months ago. Was only a matter of time I guess with the backwards compatibility list at a complete standstill and the 360 in full swing. I'm trying to think of what xbox games I should grab but I think I have just about everything I wanted off the system. Used prices on the games have been rock bottom for awhile on ebay so I loaded up a lot.

This is why I like GameCrazy better, if it is a video game, they will take it no matter how old they are or what system they are for.

here's hoping gamestop finally does a b1g1 on xbox games -- i'm actually done with my xbx collection at 95 titles but if they ever do a b1g1, there are a 4-6 games i wouldn't mind grabbing ;-)

I'm still surprised they still have Xbox games.

I stocked up over the last few years on lots of Xbox games. I found a Gamestop near me that had a rather large selection and everything was in like new condition. Last year I realized I had too many and started trading them in on Goozex.

I found this on the G4 website:

Nielsen Ratings, the media research company which determines TV viewing audience size and programs watched, has come up with 2008's list of "Top Tens" for video-game console usage.

According to the company's data, the PlayStation 2 has been determined the console that most gamers collectively spend playing. PS2 users counted for 31.7 percent from a nationwide study, covering January to October 2008.

In second place is the Xbox 360 which amounted for 17.2 percent of total time played, follow by the Wii with 13.4 percent at third place.

It also found that first-gen Xbox has more players (9.7 percent) than Playstation 3 (7.3 percent)!

It's interesting that the GameCube also made the list with 4.6 percent of console players using it.

There are still people playing the old xbox. I even bust out an old Xbox game once in a while. I think they gave up on the original xbox way too soon...

only if they had metal wolf chaos for usa xbox...other wise Jet Set and Panzer is all I really need or want from Xbox

[quote name='c.gibbits']I remember when I was an 'adolescent' and one of the GS employees said they stopped trading in PS1 games and they were going to ship them back to a warehouse to dispose/destroy of them.

I wish I bought all my PS1 gems before that occured.[/quote]

I remember the same thing happening. In my sophmore year in college I realized that they would be getting rid of the PS1 games soon, and I tried desperately to fill up my collection. Regrettably, I was picky about getting complete copies of games (except Suikoden II), and I missed out on a lot.

I've never owned an Xbox, and I don't own a 360 yet, but once these go on clearance, I'll probably try to pick up a few BC titles.

Man if you want them you'd better get'em soon then or else your going to run the risk of getting a seriously crapped up disk.

As it is, a few years ago the disks were usually messed up...Can you imagine what'll be left at 75% off or whatever?

These games are not like GB cartridges. In my experience those things are like NES and SNES carts which seem to usually be able to pass through a nuclear blast before they can't work (so long as you can blow air into them :)).

But these disks...Get'em while you still may have a chance to get a good disk and not a disk that looks like it was sucked up by a street sweeper, spit out, run over by a car, pissed on by a dog and then traded in.

[quote name='djricekcn']only if they had metal wolf chaos for usa xbox...other wise Jet Set and Panzer is all I really need or want from Xbox[/quote]

I am actually only looking for three to complete my collection of things I want for that system (for varying reasons)...

Aliens vs Predator: Extinction
Predator: Concrete Jungle
SW: Battlefront 2

Once I get those, I am done with my XBOX collection.

[quote name='c.gibbits']Do any of you original CAGers remember the time around they cleared out PS1 games? or how about Dreamcast? How long did they keep the games after they stopped trading them in? And what kind of sale did they use to clearance them?[/quote]

The stores around here still had Dreamcast & PS1 games a full year after they stopped taking trade-ins(although it was mostly old sports games that were left). It was around that time that they were either 75% or 90% off(can't remember exactly).

Kinda glad I grabbed most of the Xbox games I was looking for over the holidays. The only three I have to still look for are Panzer Dragoon Orta, POP: The Two Thrones & SW: Battlefront 2. Seems like no matter which GS has it in stock, they're always in those lame ass cases with the generic GS insert.

Yeah, good post for the deals section, major thing for me. 90% of what I get from GS is original GB/GBC and Xbox as a collector. Also the link to the list of values concretizes my willingness not to trade in my spare Xbox games, the values are stink. Now, do I post a tradelist before or after they stop carrying original Xbox games. I have maybe 50 spare games.

bread's done
Back