Gaming Mouse

CheapLikeAFox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1483 (100%)
So I think I need to take the plunge and a get a gaming mouse. Looking for something good, but as dirt cheap as possible.

Was considering this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193059

12 bucks shipped, but the reviews are mixed. Not a pro gamer at all so I don't need anything super advanced, but if I could get something of better quality in the 20 dollar range I would pony up.

Thanks in advance.

Found some other contenders:

Monoprice Generic Gaming Mouse:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1080907&p_id=9258&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Cooler Master:
Storm Spawn:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RJJMBI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Storm Xornet:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TEPB74/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Gigabyte:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146010

Zalman:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826501010

Last edited by a moderator:
rosewill... oh man...
i have never personally owned one but rosewill is notorious for shitty quality. maybe the mice are ok but this is a case where i would not trust it. its only 12$ so you might be ok to risk it.

the whole gaming mouse thing is pretty much just a marketing device and doesn't say much. what features specifically are you looking for?

how many buttons to you need?
do you need adjustable dpi?
do you own a mousepad?
do you need adjustable weights?
do you need optical or laser?
are you a tipper or a palmer?

if you don't care about this stuff and price is literally all you care about, just get a microsoft optical mouse. at least it won't break on you in a week.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Comfort-Optical-Mouse-3000/dp/B000A6NV0U

13$, nothing special just a regular mouse with an extra thumb button.

For me, comfort comes first. I'd try to go to a store first to see if you like the feel of the mice as well. For me, I don't like the ridges for the pinky, like the cooler master ones. I also like rubberized mice. And since I use metal mouse pads, there are occasionally mice that don't behave right on them.

The MS mice are actually better than expected. I used to run with one.

I also wouldn't buy anything Rosewill.

Yeah, the main thing for me is the extra buttons. I don't play anything competitive, usually play solo. I have a wireless logitech mouse right now, which I love, but it only has two buttons. I tried playing Necrovision with it and it was a chore because one of the main draws of the game is using the melee combo to get points but I had to map melee to a button on the keyboard so it was awkward.

I own a cheap mousepad from big lots.

I looked it up and I am a palmer as opposed to a clawer.

I literally have no clue what adjustable DPI does, or weights, or any of that. That said, I am not just worried about price, if paying a little more for a better mice that will improve my gaming experience is an option I would do it. I mainly play FPS.

I've seen some mice that look decent in the 30-40 range too, but again I have no clue what the differences in them are. I'm even willing to wait if there is a good sale on any of the daily sites or something.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
I literally have no clue what adjustable DPI does, or weights, or any of that.[/QUOTE]
some people get used to a mouse and when they switch the weight difference just feels wrong, either too light and thus cheap feeling, or too clunky and slow feeling. extreme nerds would probably claim it ruins their aim. either way its about the feel of the mouse. if you want it to feel heavier you can add weight to it.

adjustable DPI increases or decreases the sensitivity on the fly. i personally love this in fps games and especially battlefield. for example, you're playing assault and using reflexes you like a nice fast sweep. then you switch to recon and are sniping so you turn down the sensitivity with a single click as you zoom in and have much better control over your aim instead of it being super sensitive. same goes with vehicles. oftentimes tank controls feel like a bear and require lots of mouse movement to get it to turn. just click your sensitivity up to max and now you're turning as fast as you would on foot and people are calling you a hacker.

nice features, but not really necessary.

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']I think you found most of the ones in your price range. I would go with the Gigabyte or Coolermaster. What the other two posters said is true. Comfort is very important and figure out what you really want in a mouse, DPI, number of buttons. Just as another option here is one I found:

Mouse:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/genuine-razer-usb-2-0-optical-precision-gaming-mouse-black-111620
Review:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1240607/e-blue-cobra-jr-indepth-mouse-review[/QUOTE]

This mouse looks interesting, is there any place to buy the non-junior version?

[quote name='crystalklear64']some people get used to a mouse and when they switch the weight difference just feels wrong, either too light and thus cheap feeling, or too clunky and slow feeling. extreme nerds would probably claim it ruins their aim. either way its about the feel of the mouse. if you want it to feel heavier you can add weight to it.

adjustable DPI increases or decreases the sensitivity on the fly. i personally love this in fps games and especially battlefield. for example, you're playing assault and using reflexes you like a nice fast sweep. then you switch to recon and are sniping so you turn down the sensitivity with a single click as you zoom in and have much better control over your aim instead of it being super sensitive. same goes with vehicles. oftentimes tank controls feel like a bear and require lots of mouse movement to get it to turn. just click your sensitivity up to max and now you're turning as fast as you would on foot and people are calling you a hacker.

nice features, but not really necessary.[/QUOTE]

Are there any mice you would recommend? Preferably under $50 but like I said, I am willing to consider a higher priced mouse if it will enhance my gaming experience.

And thanks again to everyone for all the info.

The Logitech G400 is one of the best gaming mouse, just wait for promotion on Newegg again, they have it at $28 plus free shipping.

Another good option is Razer DeathAdder Black Edition which is on par with the G400.

If you are tight on budget, just get the CM Spawn.

personally, i like wireless laser mice. however almost anyone who cares about these things will say thats stupid. good ones are also quite expensive. input lag, having to charge/switch batteries, optical just as good as laser in many situations while costing more. there are certainly drawbacks.

these are the sorts of mice i look for so wired mice are not my cup of tea. that said, the g400 gets stellar reviews, two of my friends own one and are tremendous mouse nerds and they love it and its pretty comfortable (though it has a wire so not that comfortable to me). if you are willing to step up to 35$ i think its a solid choice especially in the price range. its fairly long so its great for palming, i tip and it was a little awkward for me but not so bad that i wouldn't get used to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Opti...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1344104894&sr=1-1&keywords=g400

you could also consider the g500 which is 55$ and the main difference is that its laser (vs optical g400) and has the weight system, but i don't think those features are worth 20$. having played with laser mice and high sensitivity optical mice, as long as you're using the mouse pad you won't notice a difference.

I agree on the G400. I thought you wanted to stay around 20 but if you are willing to send more I think you would be very happy with the G400. I personally have the G500 and it's a great mouse.

[quote name='crystalklear64']personally, i like wireless laser mice. however almost anyone who cares about these things will say thats stupid. good ones are also quite expensive. input lag, having to charge/switch batteries, optical just as good as laser in many situations while costing more. there are certainly drawbacks.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I have a Logitech MX Revolution; and I LOVE IT. Its comfortable, customizable, and very accurate. However, its still wireless...

Basic what it comes down to is...
Get a laser mouse
Higher DPI is better (5000 is more than enough)
Wired all the way (IMHO, unless you have some specific need for wireless. Me, I just hate cords and use to have my pc infront of my bed)
Weights are great
Name brands mean something
More buttons = more fun = more work
and COMFORT IS MOST IMPORTANT

EDIT: and crystalklear64, who ever told ya optical was better? laser>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>optical

(I actually use a Death Adder; just didn't want to recommend something that's $40, when the op was looking at $12-20 mice)

As for wireless, I hate them. I've never used one that had minor start-up lag on movement.

I personally use the Logitech G700 and I love it. The software could have been better, but it is still awesome in size and weight. It comes with a cord plug-in, so I can wire up when ever I need to.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Agreed, I have a Logitech MX Revolution; and I LOVE IT. Its comfortable, customizable, and very accurate. However, its still wireless...

Basic what it comes down to is...
Get a laser mouse
Higher DPI is better (5000 is more than enough)
Wired all the way (IMHO, unless you have some specific need for wireless. Me, I just hate cords and use to have my pc infront of my bed)
Weights are great
Name brands mean something
More buttons = more fun = more work
and COMFORT IS MOST IMPORTANT

EDIT: and crystalklear64, who ever told ya optical was better? laser>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>optical[/QUOTE]
i have an mx518 and a g7. when using a mousepad there is no difference. i bet this is the case for 90% of people.

the reason i have a g7 is because i don't use a mousepad (and i hate wires). i just set my mouse directly on my glazed desk, which is hell for an optical mouse.

laser is better than optical in some situations, but if you're never going to encounter those situations theres no need for it.

In your price range I would try one of the Coolermaster mice, from what I've read they're making some pretty good stuff. I personally use a Deathadder and I love how it feels but thats out of your price range.

[quote name='j-cart']Logitech G400 http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Optical-Gaming-High-Precision-910-002277/dp/B0055QZ216/ref=pd_cp_e_0

or

Razer Deathadder http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Deathadder-Infrared-Gaming-RZ01-00151400-R3/dp/B002Q4U5DK/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Get one of these and you will have an awesome gaming mouse for the next 5-6 years.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, they be more but they last a long time.

I recently bought one of these on sale for 39.99:

Steel Series Ikari

It's doing well and very comfortable, though time will tell if it is as good as a Razer or Logitech.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am still trying to decide but will let you guys know which one I go for. I just went to best buy to try them out but lo and behold they have regular mice on display, but not any of the gaming mice.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am still trying to decide but will let you guys know which one I go for. I just went to best buy to try them out but lo and behold they have regular mice on display, but not any of the gaming mice.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen Razers on display, actually. But I have seen Logitech ones, including gaming ones.

[quote name='elessar123']I've never seen Razers on display, actually. But I have seen Logitech ones, including gaming ones.[/QUOTE]

Nah, they only had regular logitechs :( I checked. For sale they had the 500, 700, and Call of Duty GX9, but not on display. The Deathadder is actually on sale for 39.99 and I have $5 RZ Cert. so I am mighty tempted on that one. Is $39.99 the regular amazon price or must they be matching best buy this week?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am still trying to decide but will let you guys know which one I go for. I just went to best buy to try them out but lo and behold they have regular mice on display, but not any of the gaming mice.[/QUOTE]

Yep it's super annoying. I had the same issue when I was deciding on my mouse. What I ended up doing was just ordering both mice I was looked at on Amazon and then trying them and just returning the one I liked least. That seemed to be the only way I could actually test them.

I know you want something cheap, and this mouse is the polar opposite of cheap, but I REALLY like my Cyborg MMO 7 mouse. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a mouse with lots of easy to use buttons and has some money to burn.

G400 looks like an updated G5 sans the weights and LED indicator. It's really too bad the G5 is no longer in production because it's quite possibly the greatest budget gaming mouse ever made. I bought a second one probably 1-2 years ago for if my current one ever died I love it so much, but this one is still kicking with no signs of aging. Can't really recommend anything from this gen, but if the G400 is as good as people are saying then I'd go for it. I personally never used any of the weights in my G5, so as long as they're using the same teflon feet -- you will love the shit out of it with a good steelpad. My current mouse has to be four or five years old and it still glides smooth as butter. The first time you use it will really blow you away.

Only downside to logitech are the shitty drivers, but even those are ironed out eventually. I still have a few issues where a game likes to take control of the DPI settings when booted up but if I adjust the setting via the buttons real quick, it's fixed.

[quote name='The Crotch']I love the shit out of the Logitech G500.[/QUOTE]

How can you love a such a thing when you are too busy planting trees?
HOW HAS IT BEEN GOING?

@OP:

Abuse the return policy stores give you. Buy both and return the one you don't like.

[quote name='j-cart']How can you love a such a thing when you are too busy planting trees?
HOW HAS IT BEEN GOING?
[/QUOTE]
Finished up our last godawful mudhole of a camp two days ago. A little bit of hotel-based planting with a small crew to finish off the last of our trees, then it's back to Saskatchewan.

I relaly like my Rat 7. just one of the best mice i ever used.

that said the mat you get i think makes mroe of a difference than the mouse. i got a 30$ mat and honestly my crappy wireless mouse actually picks up most my mouse movements :)

i also use a xbox 360 controller when given the option. of course you dont use that with a shooter but many of these indie ports or console ports are much better witha controller.

[quote name='Kevfactor']I relaly like my Rat 7. just one of the best mice i ever used.

that said the mat you get i think makes mroe of a difference than the mouse. i got a 30$ mat and honestly my crappy wireless mouse actually picks up most my mouse movements :)

i also use a xbox 360 controller when given the option. of course you dont use that with a shooter but many of these indie ports or console ports are much better witha controller.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the mat does help quite a bit. However $30 for a mat isn't necessary, $10-15 max should be enough.

[quote name='sunghost']Yeah the mat does help quite a bit. However $30 for a mat isn't necessary, $10-15 max should be enough.[/QUOTE]

i got the razer vespula. the wrist cushion is nice on it too. idk i guess it's about perks too hehe. :)

i'm using the cm xornet with a artisen hien hard pad. the xornet is very light which i like but if you like heavier mouse then this is probably too light. at first the grip felt strange but now it feels natural. also i have not experienced any finger/hand fatigue after extended use. the cord is thick and does not move well with the rough texture of the hien pad so the cord will need to be elevated. i haven't noticed any acceleration while gaming. my next mouse i'm eyeing the zowie ec1 evo.

Well, I came by to give you guys an update on my temporary solution and my eventual solution.

I took everything into consideration and for the time being I made the unorthodox decision to order two cheapie mice to get a feel for them.

After not being able to touch the mice at Best Buy, I figured I needed some one on one time with the mice to figure out what kind I want. So I ordered the $12 Rosewill and the $10 E-Blue. Both together were still only $22. They are different style type of mice and I think between the two I will figure out what sort of mice I want. (A sort of ready to go mouse a la Razer Deathadder/Logitech 400 or a super adjustable mouse with weights).

The Rosewill got here today and I am using it now. I don't seem to have any quality control issues as it is working fine out of the box. It says it is a seven button mouse, but I think they are counting the DPI switch button and another button. For all intents and purposes it is a 5 button mouse which works for me since I just wanted 3 buttons to assign. So far so good. Definitely way too light out of the game (I am used a mouse that takes two AA batteries) so I had to pack all the weights into it and it feels good.

The DPI switch works and the changes in DPI definitely are noticable. I can see how the high DPI settings would come in handy during shooters. Build is OK. I don't get the "oh this is super high quality" vibe from it, but definitely doesn't feel like it will crumble in my hands.

When the e-blue comes I will play with that and drop my thoughts. In the meantime I'll be keeping an eye out of the woot type sites to hopefully snag a good Razer or Logitech refurb (or new) for a good deal.

Thanks again. Now off to see how much better this mouse will make me at Defense Grid.

A little late to this party, but -

It looks like the G400 and the Death Adder are pretty popular suggestions, and as far as I can tell those are both optical mice. Is there any noticeable difference between an optical mouse and a laser mouse? Do they require a mousepad while a laser mouse doesn't?

Thanks for all the great info here!

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']A little late to this party, but -

It looks like the G400 and the Death Adder are pretty popular suggestions, and as far as I can tell those are both optical mice. Is there any noticeable difference between an optical mouse and a laser mouse? Do they require a mousepad while a laser mouse doesn't?

Thanks for all the great info here![/QUOTE]
Consensus says that optical mice work better with cloth mousepads while laser are better on hard surfaces. Optical is usually the choice for "pro" gamers, but both work equally well for me. If you're just an average gamer, either should be fine for your needs.

laser is better in every way except cost.

however that doesn't mean its a winner.

who cares if you can use your laser on your mirrored ceiling if you use a mousepad anyway?

and not all optical mice are created equal. old optical mice suck dick with terrible tracking resolution. so in the optical vs laser "debate" it only applies to optical mice with a good res.

I used Razer products in the past and while their mouse is awesome, recently I bought a Logitech G500 and this mouse to me is a whole lot better.

[quote name='SEH']Death Adder isn't optical, its laser BTW. I own both that and the G400...can't go wrong with either.[/QUOTE]

Um, it's not laser.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']We have some razar naga's here at work. I like them alot. Very customizable. We use them for autocad civil drafting[/QUOTE]
I still have the copperhead...that thing has out lived PCs and multi deployments...it just wont die

[quote name='elessar123']Um, it's not laser.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my bad. For some reason I was getting that and infrared mixed up.

Rosewill Gaming Mouse Update:

So in using it for a week I love the feel and features of this mouse. The DPI settings are great, the different settings add different elements to gameplay and the additional buttons are well placed. Over all the features of this mouse are great.

BUT the quality is just not up to par. Initially I noticed the side casing of the mouse was very creak if you held it there too tight. I don't plan on holding it by the side casing much, but no product should creak. The mouse is cheaply designed and they went cheap with the casing so if you squeeze too hard you will break the mouse. It's a world of difference compared to my Logitech anywhere mouse. That thing is solid as a tank everywhere with no creaking and a solid casing.

The other big problem is the scroll wheel. I read people had issues with it. Initially, my only issue was that there was a delay zone, meaning I could move the wheel up or down with no response in either direction. It took a small time to finally click and grab and reflect movement. It's an annoyance I could live with, but today the mouse started moving in the opposite direction when I scroll. If I scroll up it will go up and then slightly down, same for the reverse.

That just won't work, especially since I want this for web browsing.

I made an RMA request through chat and they gave me a GC rather than have me ship the mouse back so my plan is to get a nicer mouse now.

At least I didn't end up losing any money with my experiment!

[quote name='crystalklear64']can't say i'm surprised and hopefully you weren't either.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't too dissapointed. It was a calculated risk and the outcome is I have a somewhat functional mouse and my money back.

I loved, loved, loved the features on this mouse. Really. If Rosewill just invested a little bit more in a solid casing and a better scroll wheel I would have happily paid MSRP for this mouse. I think they tried to skimp on those areas to have all these features, but the poor QC is just going to hurt them overall. Still, if an improved version of this mouse ever came out I'd order it for the right price.

Still waiting for the e-blue mouse to arrive from Hong Kong, but once I give that a try I will make a decision. I definitely think I like a heavy mouse though and the Rosewill styling fit my hand pretty well so I am one step closer to finding the perfect mouse for me.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. Hopefully others looking for a mouse will look over this thread as it has tons of useful info.

bread's done
Back