Garnett Lee Leaves 1UP

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
In what has to be seen as "the end of an era", Garnett Lee, veteran 1UP.com staffer and host of the former 1UP Yours podcast and Listen UP, has left 1UP to join Gamefly Media, a division of Shacknews. From the ARTICLE....

I am delighted to join GameFly," said Lee. "I've had an amazing time at 1UP during which I've had the opportunity to run all the different individual elements of the content package--news, previews, reviews, video, and managing editor. Coming to GameFly gives me a chance to put everything I've learned together."

Sad to see him leave Listen UP as he really made that podcast what it was. Congrats on the new job, though.

Garnett was definitely the voice of 1UP Yours/Listen UP, so it definitely won't be the same show without him. Even so, I wish him well in his new job and any other future endeavors.

As for the podcast, man, they didn't even have a permanent fourth chair, and now they're going to be down another chair as well. Sam has been doing a good job when he's been filling the fourth chair, and I enjoyed Jeremy's recent appearance on the show, so if they do continue hopefully one or both of them join the show. I'll definitely still check it out, but I know it won't be the same (it'd be equivalent to CheapyD leaving the CAGcast, which we all know will happen once that corporate buyout he's been hoping for comes through).

Noooo! I'll miss his silky smooth voice on Listen UP. Hope his new job goes well, and that the podcast continues in some form or another (as for the fourth chair, Sam and Christian Nutt are my faves).

Damn, that sucks for the podcast. I loved him, and it is true that he gave the podcast body and form. Good luck with the new job though.

Sad news indeed. Whether or not you agreed or disagreed with the man at any given time, there is no arguing he was the voice of the 1UP podcast. :(

I stopped going to 1up and listening to their podcasts after the UGO takeover, but Garnett Lee was the last remnant of the old guard, or at least the last one I liked. It's a damn shame.

[quote name='Shoki']Any idea what an editorial director for GameFly Media might do?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully run the 4 guys shackup podcast

After the 1upocalypse I felt this was an inevitability. He was the lone old school guy sticking around, I am sure seeing all his peers moving on to all sorts of different ventures left him wanting more than what 1up could offer.

Wow I only found out about this from this thread. I would've absolutely had no idea he was leaving, aside from that tiny little link to his blog.

On the one hand, it is a major loss for the 1up network. On the other hand, it is a fine addition for ShackNews/Gamefly. Perhaps that internet portal will have a better chance of stepping up its community. I imagine it is a welcome opportunity for Garnett, or else he probably wouldn't have pursued it. It is quite likely that he will be given a free hand to run things over at GameFly/Shacknews.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I stopped going to 1up and listening to their podcasts after the UGO takeover, but Garnett Lee was the last remnant of the old guard, or at least the last one I liked. It's a damn shame.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Didn't even know they still had a podcast.

It will be strange to listen to a 1Up podcast not hosted by Garnett, but at the same time I think I've tolerated Garnett more than I actually liked him. I know there is probably no way this would happen since he already has his own podcast, but I wish John Davison would take over the host duties since he was the one person that held that show together IMO.

I have the feeling that John only continued to do 1Up because of Garnett so I really doubt that will happen. Oh, well, I've still got Giantbomb and Out of the Game.

Yes, but you see, Garnett Lee was the "straight man." Whenever you expect to have comedic situations or conversations, you always have to have a straight man. One person has to be the guy who doesn't "get" the joke, making it that much funnier for everyone who does. As one of the older members of the cast, Garnett filled that role perfectly. He is also the undisputed champion of segues.

Can I be the disrespectful voice here for the first time in a long time? Yes I can!

I'm NOT going to miss Garnett. "1up Yours" was my favorite podcast, and "Listen Up" was a strong (but inferior) successor. But with both, it always seemed to be Garnett that undermined the momentum of any given segment. Often embarrassingly drunk, usually a beat or more late with awkward jokes or comebacks, and vaguely and creepily, uh, fey-sounding, Lee continued to sound less informed than the 'youngins.'

Maybe this will kill the pocast. Yeah, that would suck. Still, even assuming he's a "class act" and heartfelt, it's probably best for everyone that he moved on. I'm not far behind him in the Years Department. I can say that.

Now if Jeff Gerstmann quits podcasting...THEN I'll gnash my teeth.

bread's done
Back