Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows announced

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://wire.ign.com/articles/588/588709p1.html

Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY), a leading interactive entertainment industry publisher and developer, announced today the rebirth of the legendary Gauntlet® franchise with Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. Lead by industry veterans John Romero (Doom, Quake) and Josh Sawyer (Icewind Dale), developed by Midway's San Diego studio, Seven Sorrows is scheduled for release on the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox® videogame system from Microsoft and PC this winter.

"Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows captures the nostalgia of the legendary franchise, and also delivers the darkest, most intense Gauntlet saga ever," said Matt Booty, senior vice president of product development, Midway. "Blending an intuitive combat system, accessible RPG elements, and new junction skills, Seven Sorrows features the dynamic co-op it's known for, and, for the first time ever, it is online supporting up to four players."

Centuries ago, four immortal heroes set out to kill the most powerful emperor their age had ever known. They failed, and for their crimes, three were crucified on a great tree at the bottom of the world. Mysteriously set free, the heroes set out to finish what they had started, only to find that they must now save their tormentor from his own dreams and madness. Driven to grief by seven acts of deep cruelty and selfishness, the emperor seeks to undo the one that pains him the most: the murder of his lover, Cusirimay. If the ancient heroes cannot undo the emperor's deeds on their own, his mad plans may tear apart the world.

Seven Sorrows is the fusion of fantasy fighting action with the strategy of user-friendly RPG elements , providing gamers a deep, engaging gameplay experience complete with solo play, co-op and an online community.

The new fighting system allows for easy pick-up-and-play while simultaneously offering deeper choices for more advanced players. Additionally, online RPG and collection elements add significant replay value to the game.

An online Gauntlet game sounds pretty cool since it's always been about the multiplayer gaming.

I don't know why, but this excites me. I miss playing gauntlet at the local arcaed. The infinite continues or push start to add health mechinism always makes it less fun at home.

I hope this Gauntlet game turns out well. I liked the Gamecube Gauntlet game, but I felt that it could have been better.

Sweet! I used to like Gauntlet 1 and 2 (though I never beat them - did anybody?) and I really liked Dark Legacy.

One more game for me and my wife to play together! Hopefully the hack and slash gameplay is intact.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']I would be excited if John Romero wasn't involved. He's the game industry's ultimate one-hit-wonder.[/quote]

What are you talking about? Dai-Katana was the best game EVAR!

It was so worth the 7 years of development. Never before has there been such a spot on robo-frog hunting simulation!

I wish it would've been playable at Midway's gamers' day yesterday, but it wasn't. Still, the presentation has me relatively excited. They put an emphasis on good combat, and the story will have you playing as more than just one character.

Romero surprised me, as I never saw him before. He's a funny little man with lots of hair, who obviously shops at Urban Outfitter or somewhere similar -- no doubt in tandem with Unreal Tournament's Cliffy B., who also works the "I'm a rockstar" look.

I'm a little more excited about the new Mortal Kombat action game and the Suffering sequel, however.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I hope this Gauntlet game turns out well. I liked the Gamecube Gauntlet game, but I felt that it could have been better.[/quote]

My position exactly, this goes on my highly anticipated list.

[quote name='Kayden'][quote name='Survivor Charlie']I would be excited if John Romero wasn't involved. He's the game industry's ultimate one-hit-wonder.[/quote]

What are you talking about? Dai-Katana was the best game EVAR!

It was so worth the 7 years of development. Never before has there been such a spot on robo-frog hunting simulation![/quote]

I honestly don't know how Romero is still in the industry. He's completely out of touch with what makes a game popular or fun. And if you don't like him, he'll tell you that you're the one that's out of touch, or 'don't you get it?' or 'who are you to question me? I made fucking DOOM!'

I can't stand him and I think that he is the product of a talented staff that made one (yes, ONE) good game. For those that are getting excited over this, I remind you that since the Dark Alliances and the Champions series have redefined the melee dunegon genre, Midway needs to make sure that the series takes a giant step forward on the already established Gauntlet Legends formula.

Hiring John Romero will not accomplish that. He's a man who's spent over a decade taking his steps backwards and then telling people they need to redefine what forward means. Yeah.

bread's done
Back