Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']dude, could you please stop following me around? your sarcasm is gay as all hell. :roll:

Especially since you're mixing religions in your awful pun.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to unveil yourself for the disgraceful self profit exploiting gamers for your own personal gain then I have no choice but to persecute you for your actions. I'll say farewell with a kiss, but I will continue to speak the faith and fundamentals you have passed on. I will continue to speak the virtues of pure gamers and the challenges they may face, in the games and in their lives. You may have fallen from grace, as all positions of authority often do, but your message will not go unheeded.

Take this person we called Confoosious to his condemnation (E.T. pit on Atari) to live in despair. I will collect my 30 trade tokens from Goozex as reward.

[quote name='RedGamer']Guys, cut the crap.

I created this thread for Gazelle discussion. Not petty arguments.[/QUOTE]

I agree dude. I wish a mod would clean this shit up as well. I can't help it if some dude follows me around, can I?

I got a box in the mail today from them, but it says priority mail on it, does the post office ever get upset that you're using a priority mail box to ship something parcel post?

[quote name='rainking187']I got a box in the mail today from them, but it says priority mail on it, does the post office ever get upset that you're using a priority mail box to ship something parcel post?[/QUOTE]

you technically could get in trouble for it but i've done it a couple times. I use my own box now to be safe. I don't fuck with the government.

or check out io's method for making the label Priority.

[quote name='J7.']
Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that once you get this email they have already sent it and you can't unrequest it ;). At least for my changes last night I didn't get an initial "we're sending a box email", just one the next day that said it was already on its way.

[quote name='rainking187']I got a box in the mail today from them, but it says priority mail on it, does the post office ever get upset that you're using a priority mail box to ship something parcel post?[/QUOTE]

Technically you are not supposed to - but look back a page where I explain how I do it. It requires a cooperative postal employee, but is perfectly legit.

And yes, please cut the crap, guys. Converse, don't make me come back there! ;)

it really depends on your post office. since gazelle is technically in the wrong using priority mail boxes and only parcel post. my post office won't allow me to change to priority like some others reported, so i just use my own boxes.

[quote name='converse']See the error in your ways, cross over to the other side and become a born again gamer like myself. Confoosious spoke the gospel and converted me, may his words ring true with you. The gamer is pure, not looking for profit or personal gain, only pure enjoyment and satisfaction that is tainted by the heathens that trade games for profit or worse re-sell. All the while the gamer is the one who suffers as game prices escalate to levels that exceed MSRP and have no options for trading their used wears. Don't make Confoosious drag the proverbial PacMan Arcade Console across the desert and then push it over on him sealing his fate.[/QUOTE]

Did confoosious actually say whats in your sig and thats what lead to this post? LoL. Whoever said whats in your sig is a dumbass, plain and simple.

Edit: I guess he did. LOL. What a loser.

[quote name='io']The problem is that once you get this email they have already sent it and you can't unrequest it ;). At least for my changes last night I didn't get an initial "we're sending a box email", just one the next day that said it was already on its way.
)[/QUOTE]
I swear I unrequested it by going to change payment details for the item on gazelle.com. I cannot test it now because I don't have a box requested. I do know for sure that I never got a box from them and it's been over a month.

[quote name='Estebon']Did confoosious actually say whats in your sig and thats what lead to this post? LoL. Whoever said whats in your sig is a dumbass, plain and simple.

Edit: I guess he did. LOL. What a loser.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it you asshole. He's making stuff up trying to be clever. by the way, guys who get banned for whining about kmart all day long should google "people in glass houses".

io - can you clean this shit up please?

I just thought I would point out that Gazelle currently is offering $20 on Lego Indiana Jones 2 for the Wii & 360.

I know DealTree was offering $25 before they implemented their new limits. But thought this might be useful info to those that still have copies that missed out on DealTree or just don't feel comfortable sending to DealTree at this point.

Also, it's still a nice GS credit to Gazelle cash flip, if you can find used copies at your local GS.

[quote name='twinton']I just thought I would point out that Gazelle currently is offering $20 on Lego Indiana Jones 2 for the Wii & 360.

I know DealTree was offering $25 before they implemented their new limits. But thought this might be useful info to those that still have copies that missed out on DealTree or just don't feel comfortable sending to DealTree at this point.

Also, it's still a nice GS credit to Gazelle cash flip, if you can find used copies at your local GS.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much buddy. Got over $100 in GS credit, I'll use about half towards these flips with 15OFF75. Appreciate it

[quote name='twinton']I just thought I would point out that Gazelle currently is offering $20 on Lego Indiana Jones 2 for the Wii & 360.

Also, it's still a nice GS credit to Gazelle cash flip, if you can find used copies at your local GS.[/QUOTE]
Stop raping the girl that's passed out drunk, she won't even know it in the morning.

I'm really curious to see how their new system works, I signed up for the beta testing, so hopefully I am selected. I am sure they have me flagged specifically NOT to participate, although if there was something wrong I would find it quickly! :lol:

I was actually checking it's tiv when I decided to signup a few hours ago. anyone have success in trading in a 360 game in a non 360 case (ie the typical green ones)? also can you use bubble mailer to send a game instead of a box?

so has anyone ever used a bubble mailer for a game? and has anyone ever sent a 360 game in a generic case (non green) but included the manual and artwork game cover/

[quote name='Gamer SDP']so has anyone ever used a bubble mailer for a game? and has anyone ever sent a 360 game in a generic case (non green) but included the manual and artwork game cover/[/QUOTE]

I've used bubble mailers. I can't help you on the cases as I always use the "appropriate" one though I often swap out ones from new games I'm trading for ones from used games I bought so I can have the better case. I think others have had no issue with generic cases though.

I can vouch for the bubble mailers... I'm even using the "paper" ones (i.e. paper-type outside, bubbles inside. Not those fancy plastic material ones). I'd recommend the plastic bubble mailers if you use them at all though, because they're only like 5 cents more at walmart and have more room inside them ever-so-slightly (makes PS3 games MUCH easier to get inside). I bought a bulk pack of the paper style ones at sams and regret it, I'd much rather have the plastic ones. Oh well, they'll both work.

Dunno about generic cases though

when i send games out to people, i just use a manila envelope. Fits perfectly inside and no room to move. No one ever complained about the packaging either.

OMG!! didn't know there was a thread for this. I have so many questions to ask

1.) I just requested a label for FFXII :ps3:. it didnt qualify for a free box but 2 copies of my NSMB did. Can i put them together?

2.) andddd how fast do you get paid? (assuming after they received it and everything)

edit: whoops never mind. read the faqs.

looks like ill be using this.

I wouldn't chance doing that.

Your best bet would be to create an order thing for all the games on one ticket and then do that. I'm new to this too though, so I'm not sure. I should have my box tomorrow and I'll be sending off my first few.

[quote name='david12795']OMG!! didn't know there was a thread for this. I have so many questions to ask

1.) I just requested a label for FFXII :ps3:. it didnt qualify for a free box but 2 copies of my NSMB did. Can i put them together?

2.) andddd how fast do you get paid? (assuming after they received it and everything)

edit: whoops never mind. read the faqs.

looks like ill be using this.[/QUOTE]

I've thrown several different trade-ins in one box before and didn't have any problems. they just accepted and issued all the gift cards separately. I always use my own boxes though.

[quote name='cyphen']I've thrown several different trade-ins in one box before and didn't have any problems. they just accepted and issued all the gift cards separately. I always use my own boxes though.[/QUOTE]

Did they ever get the transactions mixed up due to several different trade ins being in one box or did u put a packing slip in there?

[quote name='david12795']Did they ever get the transactions mixed up due to several different trade ins being in one box or did u put a packing slip in there?[/QUOTE]

I just included all the packing slips in the box.

oh okay. it would be convenient for me if i threw all my games in one box that gazelle provided. Note that the games weren't all on the same transaction.

[quote name='david12795']oh okay. it would be convenient for me if i threw all my games in one box that gazelle provided. Note that the games weren't all on the same transaction.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its probably wont be a problem unless you go over the weight printed on the postage by a significant amount. They usually overdo it by a lot though. Also forgot to mention that last time I checked they send you a priority box but give you parcel post as your postage which is technically against the rules so you might have trouble at the post office if you use their box. Don't know why they do that or if they still do it since I never use their boxes.

[quote name='homerandabe69']are there limits to the amount of the same game we can send in like on dealtree?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a limit currently but that could change.

I got my box and prepaid label today and it was a priority box.

I just used my own box anyway. I really just wanted the box for the prepaid label, since I don't have a printer to print my own.

[quote name='david12795']Oh good. hopefully I will get more $$$ if it's new like some people on this thread.[/QUOTE]

no dude, you're not gonna get more money. But they'll appreciate it.

Yeah, you'll only get "more" if you submit it as lacking a case and cover art and then send it in with those. Then they will bump you back up to the normal value. But new vs used makes no difference but since we all want Gazelle to keep doing this it doesn't hurt to send them new/sealed stuff as they can probably make more money off of it and keep the ball rolling ;).

I got 4 verifications today for packages I sent at the end of last week. Gazelle is 100x better than Dealtree :roll:.

Actually, I misspoke when I said they'd appreciate it. I'm just assuming because they can just resell it on ebay or whatever wholesaler they are farming out to.

Has anyone actually ever asked them this?

I really like Gazelle and it wouldn't be any skin off my back if they got to sell the games I traded in as new. (I always take off the seal but I can change that.)

(However, with NorAm, if I ever do trade to them, i make sure they get my copy used. because they are aholes.)

[quote name='confoosious']
I really like Gazelle and it wouldn't be any skin off my back if they got to sell the games I traded in as new. (I always take off the seal but I can change that.)

(However, with NorAm, if I ever do trade to them, i make sure they get my copy used. because they are aholes.)[/QUOTE]

:applause: I always send new games sealed, unless it's a Nintendo game with a PIN. At first I forgot about that on at least 1 game, but lately I don't because Nintendo reminded me :)

I hope I havn't had a case of bad luck.

That package I dropped off on monday morning still says shipping info received. But I do live in ND so maybe they put it on a truck that's taking its sweet time to the nearest sorting facility. Which could be either minneapolis or Kentucky.

Usps has always been good to me though. Probably too early yet, I get impatient.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I hope I havn't had a case of bad luck.

That package I dropped off on monday morning still says shipping info received. But I do live in ND so maybe they put it on a truck that's taking its sweet time to the nearest sorting facility. Which could be either minneapolis or Kentucky.

Usps has always been good to me though. Probably too early yet, I get impatient.[/QUOTE]

Yeah don't worry too much about it yet. From my experience, it always seems to take longer to get tracking info for parcel posts packages.

Sent off my games last week on monday, they were "arrived at unit" on saturday, and then actually delivered this monday, got the verification email for all 3 packages yesterday, and hopefully paid very soon. All in all a good experience so far. VASTLY superior to dealtree.

Next time I'm considering spending $5-15 of my own money and just sending it priority so it arrives in 2 days instead of 7. Would have been nice because I'd probably already have been paid back on fri/sat. Oh well, I'm still a happy customer.

I checked the OP and noticed I have 30 days to send an item in. I set up an order on Saturday but still haven't sent it since I'll have a few more packages to mail this week.

I sent them a package a few days ago, and it showed up as being delivered on the 15th. I've been expecting to have my stuff verified soon, instead I got an email today saying they haven't received my stuff yet. Should I be worried?

[quote name='rainking187']I sent them a package a few days ago, and it showed up as being delivered on the 15th. I've been expecting to have my stuff verified soon, instead I got an email today saying they haven't received my stuff yet. Should I be worried?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about it. I think they send out those emails automatically after a certain amount of time has passed. Your stuff will probably be verified today.

[quote name='Drkirby']How often do they add new games to there list?[/QUOTE]
Yearly

Just kidding, we think there is a delay in their whole website right now as they are preparing a beta for a new site.

[quote name='rainking187']I sent them a package a few days ago, and it showed up as being delivered on the 15th. I've been expecting to have my stuff verified soon, instead I got an email today saying they haven't received my stuff yet. Should I be worried?[/QUOTE]

Expect an email today or tomorrow. My last set of packages took about 3 days to verify (they will show on the website as verified before they send an email).

bread's done
Back