Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cag "effect" strikes again. People post the flips and it kills something almost within minutes. Amazon is good about this but gazelle never did it. Looks like they will be doing a better job about it now.

[quote name='Estebon']The cag "effect" strikes again. People post the flips and it kills something almost within minutes. Amazon is good about this but gazelle never did it. Looks like they will be doing a better job about it now.[/QUOTE]

I would think it is an unwritten rule: if you plan to flip, find your own flips and don't share unless you want your flips to be keeps :cool:

Seriously, though, those have been well known for weeks now. It actually took them a long time to do anything about it. But I guess since they aren't updating their pricing DB instead of just lowering it to $6 or something they are just cutting it off all together.

Well, I locked mine in before ordering at GS even, so I'm good ;). Lesson learned for those who didn't I guess. But yeah, you should have no problems returning new or used stuff to GS stores.

I also learned to never cancel at Gazelle. I wanted to add additional items to one shipment so I took out the Lego Indys and while adding to a new shipment it was for recycle only...If I don't get the cheap games I submitted, Gazelle will eventually cancel the order anyway. the kicker is, I had traded in a 360 Lego Indy 2 5-6 weeks ago and it was at $20 (guess the prices really don't move).

I think I read that Amazon will occasionally cancel trade ins (possibly because too many have an order in). I wonder if Gazelle will start this.

how does this new sipping thing with ups and usps work? I shipped out 3 boxes of games today and dropped them in a UPS drop box. My question is will it be handled by UPS because if thats the case then the games will arrive tomorrow. If not will the boxes be handed off to USPS for delivery?

[quote name='rjbooth']how does this new sipping thing with ups and usps work? I shipped out 3 boxes of games today and dropped them in a UPS drop box. My question is will it be handled by UPS because if thats the case then the games will arrive tomorrow. If not will the boxes be handed off to USPS for delivery?[/QUOTE]

UPS will always be the carrier that delivers it now. USPS is just a middleman with these labels.

Ugh, I wish I had sent in my Hasbro Family Game Nights sooner. I'm trying to order all the Scott Pilgrims before Friday, since I'm 99% sure they'll go up in price then. :/

EDIT: Oops. Thought Scott Pilgrim 6 came out on Friday. Shaiza. Well, if I end up having to pay a little more than expected, I'll take a little hit since I'm using credit anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone got stuck with some Hasbro's for the Wii I might be interested. I've been trying to get one locally and cannot find any. PM for a trade.

Am I better off dropping the package off to USPS and getting a receipt or just dropping it off at a UPS dropbox? I would definitely say USPS IF you get UPS tracking after they get it, but I don't know if you do. I take it that UPS accepts packages with old labels?

Also, if I remove games from an order will the others drop in value since they are now recycle or should I just send in what I have and keep them on the order?

[quote name='J7.']Am I better off dropping the package off to USPS and getting a receipt or just dropping it off at a UPS dropbox? I would definitely say USPS IF you get UPS tracking after they get it, but I don't know if you do. I take it that UPS accepts packages with old labels?[/QUOTE]

You're not close to a UPS store, UPS hub, Staples or Office Depot? Jeez where the hell do you live at!

No I'm not lol. I just need to know if you get UPS tracking after giving it to USPS and if UPS takes old labels.

I live in North Dakota and there's a UPS small hub that's only open for like an hour at night for customers to ship. Otherwise I have to goto a grocery store that deals with UPS packages. I don't know if I can drop off a gazelle package with them though haha or if they'll scan it. But there's plenty of places where that stuff doesn't exist. But I'm just going off what it's like in my area. Infact our Fedex place also shut down too, they have to make the trek 90 miles every day to deliver packages here and my town is roughly 15,000.

UPS tracking would show normal tracking information like pickup time/location / estimated delivery date etc instead of the "billing information received" message when they pick up your package from usps.

The only thing that might be annoying is if your post office decides to sit on the package for a week before having ups pick it up....which happened to 1 of my packages.

So you're saying when you drop it off with USPS the UPS tracking info only says "billing information received" for the entire duration? Damn if they don't goto UPS right away I think I will just put it in the dropbox.

[quote name='J7.']No I'm not lol. I just need to know if you get UPS tracking after giving it to USPS and if UPS takes old labels.[/QUOTE]

I've given week old labels to UPS (the actual store). They're laid back though so YMMY. Honestly, if it scans, there shouldn't be anything they can say about it.

As far as giving those labels to USPS, like somebody else said, they could sit on it for a week. Heck, I've had that happen with USPS labels.

Another thing you could do, but I wouldn't recommend it, is if you have Amazon Prime, order something you were going to buy eventually (heck, Amazon sells enough things other than games that you should be able to pick out something). When the UPS driver comes, see if he/she is nice enough to take your package. My driver did it for me one day but like I said, that's a big YMMY.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I live in North Dakota and there's a UPS small hub that's only open for like an hour at night for customers to ship. Otherwise I have to goto a grocery store that deals with UPS packages. I don't know if I can drop off a gazelle package with them though haha or if they'll scan it. But there's plenty of places where that stuff doesn't exist. But I'm just going off what it's like in my area. Infact our Fedex place also shut down too, they have to make the trek 90 miles every day to deliver packages here and my town is roughly 15,000.[/QUOTE]

Have you shipped any out with old labels using UPS?

[quote name='J7.']So you're saying when you drop it off with USPS the UPS tracking info only says "billing information received" for the entire duration? Damn if they don't goto UPS right away I think I will just put it in the dropbox.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if i wasn't clear, the UPS number goes into effect and works as a normal tracking number once they pick up your package from the post office.

This is what the UPS tracking shows me after they picked mine up from the post office;
SPARKS, MD, US 07/14/2010 9:26 A.M. DELIVERY
07/14/2010 7:07 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
07/14/2010 6:13 A.M. DESTINATION SCAN
07/14/2010 6:12 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN LAWNSIDE, NJ, US 07/14/2010 3:52 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/14/2010 12:56 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN , NY, US 07/13/2010 10:12 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/13/2010 10:55 A.M. AT LOCAL POST OFFICE US 07/07/2010 2:29 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

[quote name='rp71284']
Another thing you could do, but I wouldn't recommend it, is if you have Amazon Prime, order something you were going to buy eventually (heck, Amazon sells enough things other than games that you should be able to pick out something). When the UPS driver comes, see if he/she is nice enough to take your package. My driver did it for me one day but like I said, that's a big YMMY.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's something they are allowed to do and do often. Haven't really tried it though. There's a UPS store about 0.5 miles away.

No, because I don't have a printer so unless I run to the library I'm SOL.

I had to cancel my transaction because I requested a box and label on the 25th of june, or that's when they said it was sent out and I never got it so I just said screw it.

I might have to goto the library to print it out anyway, so I can trade in a few games that I've been sitting on. I wish they could send out just the labels in usps first class envelopes or something. That UPS mail innovations crap they used to use was worthless.

Oh I see. Thank you guys. It's a toss up, but I'm probably going to go with UPS dropbox. I've never had my USPS sit on any packages for any amount of time, but I've never used a label like this with them. As long as UPS takes old labels, it sounds like it's just better to get it in their hands directly.

Following up my post that I got verified last tuesday, and per their normal schedule I should have been paid by saturday, but they finally paid me today (this afternoon). All is well. This isn't even CLOSE to the BS that dealtree pulls, so I HEART GAZELLE!

I'm glad someone posted that flip details. Without that I probably wouldn't have made $65+ off this recent transaction and wouldn't ever have signed up for Gazelle. I've seen gazelle mentioned here alot but never really took advantage of it. Now they have a new customer. And gamestop finally got me hard earned moneys.

[quote name='J7.']I just noticed there is no date on the shipping label!!![/QUOTE]
i shipped out a package at the ups store yesterday that i got an estimate for on july 2nd and ups gave me no trouble at all

I am pretty happy now. Dropped off 3 boxes to a UPS dropbox at 5pm yesterday and now its out for delivery. USPS Parcel used to take 2-4 days.

[quote name='rjbooth']I am pretty happy now. Dropped off 3 boxes to a UPS dropbox at 5pm yesterday and now its out for delivery. USPS Parcel used to take 2-4 days.[/QUOTE]

I'm from NJ too and the time frame was about the same for me. It would take roughly 4 days for the USPS packages to get there. Now my packages (via ups) are being delivered the next day.

i know this is super noob but 1st time sending in to gazelle. should i cut the upc and gazelle header off the shipping label or do i need to cut around the thick black line and keep that upc thats in the top right still there? it seems like just a gazelle and upc header, same as the packing slip, but i dont want to cut it off and then my package go to limbo. thanx alot for helpn me, im so flipper amatuer lol.

[quote name='Velo214']i know this is super noob but 1st time sending in to gazelle. should i cut the upc and gazelle header off the shipping label or do i need to cut around the thick black line and keep that upc thats in the top right still there? it seems like just a gazelle and upc header, same as the packing slip, but i dont want to cut it off and then my package go to limbo. thanx alot for helpn me, im so flipper amatuer lol.[/QUOTE]

I usually just cut off the Gazelle stuff and the barcode on the top of the shipping page and cut out the actual shipping label and only use whats on a normal shipping label. It always gets there and always got verified :)

Why do you guys cut the Gazelle barcode off the label? If your packing slip gets thrown out with your packaging they use that barcode to process your trade.

[quote name='J7.']Why do you guys cut the Gazelle barcode off the label? If your packing slip gets thrown out with your packaging they use that barcode to process your trade.[/QUOTE]

never really thought of it that way. i usually cut it out cuz the box is usually a lot smaller than the entire sheet the label comes on.

[quote name='J7.']Oh. Just change the print settings to a small size and save on ink.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I print both the mailing label and the packing list on the same sheet of paper, and not print the last page at all since it's just packing instructions.

[quote name='J7.']How do you get it to put them on 1 paper? I've been just printing the first two pages.[/QUOTE]

When you print, under Page Handling, change Page Scaling to multiple pages per sheet and then 2 pages per sheet. I always print under Fast and grayscale because frankly, paper and ink adds up

im a cheapass, i use paper and ink from work ;)
thanx, i think i will cut that header off, i dont want it getting lost, but its so much bigger than the label it just seems odd. thanx tho ;)

Anyone know if you remove an item from an order if it will affect items that no longer have any value? I know it doesn't for items that get value but I'm wondering if it would for items that they decided to no longer take and recycle instead. Would I be better off just leaving them on the order and only send some of the games on it?

[quote name='kataztrophik']When you print, under Page Handling, change Page Scaling to multiple pages per sheet and then 2 pages per sheet. I always print under Fast and grayscale because frankly, paper and ink adds up[/QUOTE]

I'll have to use another computer to do that, worth it though. This one only works with windows drivers and doesn't give that option. Is grayscale different from just printing in black and white?

I shipped out a box on july 7th and it still has not arrived. I sent two boxes the same day and one I have already been paid for. What gives?

[quote name='Estebon']I shipped out a box on july 7th and it still has not arrived. I sent two boxes the same day and one I have already been paid for. What gives?[/QUOTE]

have you checked the tracking?

[quote name='Estebon']yeah, all it has is that it was accepted at the post office on the 7th. Thats it.[/QUOTE]

Did you check UPS tracking? I think all Gazelle packages go through UPS now with USPS acting as a middleman.

bread's done
Back