Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BmBoWnZ']I've yet to see a TIV from Gazelle that I liked... What am I missing here guys?[/QUOTE]

patience and luck in finding a good opportunity?

If you like amazons TIV than you should like gazelle because they basically match each and every one. Also, when amazon drops TIV, gazelle usually still has it up until the next day. Also, with gazelle you get 5% amazon credit and other options, paypal, cash etc. If we all stop using amazon, its possible we could force them to offer another promo.

No more heroes is 19.99 used at gamestop trades in for 19. Obviously not making a killing there but if you were looking to "rent" it for a couple weeks thats one fine example. New super mario is another one.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']As far as I can tell though, EzTradeIn is better as a whole. That's all I was sayin[/QUOTE]

you're new to this then ;)

eztradein have only been good since their current promo which ends on the 31st. After that they may be back to being uncompetitive as they were before. It also takes twice as long to get money from eztradein vs gazelle/amazon. Half the posts in the eztradein thread is about people complaining about the wait and not knowing the status of their trades.

ezTrade-in is good for selected titles: the ones in the current Best Buy trade-in deal, as Japakneez mentioned. For all other games it is either the same or Gazelle is slightly better. For the most part, though, the game prices are exactly the same across TRU/Gazelle/Amazon/Best Buy/ezTrade-In which is something I noted before. All of these places are using the same central database for pricing and I'd like to know what that is and who controls it ;).

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']I've yet to see a TIV from Gazelle that I liked... What am I missing here guys?[/QUOTE]

These are not the TIVs you are looking for. You should go about your business with eztradin.

[quote name='io']ezTrade-in is good for selected titles: the ones in the current Best Buy trade-in deal, as Japakneez mentioned. For all other games it is either the same or Gazelle is slightly better. For the most part, though, the game prices are exactly the same across TRU/Gazelle/Amazon/Best Buy/ezTrade-In which is something I noted before. All of these places are using the same central database for pricing and I'd like to know what that is and who controls it ;).[/QUOTE]

http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/page/video-game-price-guide-retailers

A lazy google search yielded that. Maybe?

[quote name='io']They are priority mail boxes. They come with a label that you peel and stick. You could certainly use the box for a different order and slap the label on a different box for that order if you want.

What? I get my boxes from them in a few days. I just got 2 today (the 21st) from orders I submitted on the 17th.[/QUOTE]

Do the box labels use Parcel or Priority? I'm just wondering how I'd use the box if my post office won't upgrade it to priority for free. I don't know if they'd let me pay the difference or something.

When you edit an order of big games to smaller amount, it automatically defaults to giving you a box. It did this to me and I waited 1-2 weeks and the box never came so I canceled it.

[quote name='the8055']Wow are you guys kidding? This site has horrible trade in values
Rock Band: Beatles $9
Dante's Inferno $17
Dark Void $11
Tekken 6 $13 "Best Buy was paying 30 for this"
AC2 $13
I just don't see the CAG prices here[/QUOTE]

GS TIV
Rock Band: The Beatles - $9 (5/11/10) ///9 gaz cash
Dante's Inferno - $16 (5/11/10)/// 17 gaz cash
Dark Void - $7 (5/17/10)/// 11 gaz cash
Tekken 6 - $10.25 (5/19/10)/// 13 gaz cash
Assassin's Creed II - $10 (5/11/10)/// 13 gaz cash

GS ain't much better and values change daily. Gaz gives you 30 days and cash. BBY/EZ takes forever and has a bad reputation of screwing people and BBY only gives you credit to pay top dollar at their stores. AMZ is picky as hell and only gives 7 days.

[quote name='Moravagine']I hope that is the reason but, given that another package I sent it at the exact same time was credited over a week ago, I have a feeling they lost this one.

Their customer service is absolutely atrocious. The person yesterday literally sad nothing but "That is odd. I will fix this problem by the end of the business day. Thank you for your time" and then disconnected the chat. Predictably nothing was done.

Is there a number to call? If so, I am not seeing it. I'm done with Gazelle if they don't credit me despite USPS saying the package was delivered.

EDIT: Well, I talked to the same rep from yesterday and he acknowledged there was an error on Gazelle's part and claims they "will make this right for you." However, I was told it would be taken care of yesterday so I'm not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]
Did you ever get this fixed?

[quote name='Moravagine']I hope that is the reason but, given that another package I sent it at the exact same time was credited over a week ago, I have a feeling they lost this one.

Their customer service is absolutely atrocious. The person yesterday literally sad nothing but "That is odd. I will fix this problem by the end of the business day. Thank you for your time" and then disconnected the chat. Predictably nothing was done.

Is there a number to call? If so, I am not seeing it. I'm done with Gazelle if they don't credit me despite USPS saying the package was delivered.

EDIT: Well, I talked to the same rep from yesterday and he acknowledged there was an error on Gazelle's part and claims they "will make this right for you." However, I was told it would be taken care of yesterday so I'm not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]
Did you ever get this fixed?

[quote name='safire']http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/page/video-game-price-guide-retailers

A lazy google search yielded that. Maybe?[/QUOTE]

Well, for one it wasn't that important to me to even think of a google search, but I also just assumed it was some private type thing that wouldn't be that easily found :lol:. Also, no guarantee it is that place unless one of them says they are using that. Also, if I was a used game dealer, I wouldn't trust all their hype as they do some pretty strange things with pricing... (Still, though, it is probably easier/cheaper than doing it yourself!).

[quote name='J7.']Do the box labels use Parcel or Priority? I'm just wondering how I'd use the box if my post office won't upgrade it to priority for free. I don't know if they'd let me pay the difference or something.
[/quote]

It is a Priority box with a Parcel Post label. Yeah, that's all wrong. But since they give 1lb of postage per game, that is usually enough to cover priority. I just mailed one off with a box they sent and it was 5 lbs for 5 games. The total weight of the box was just under 2 lbs, so they said it was covered anyway (for priority shipment that is).

[quote name='J7.']
GS TIV
Rock Band: The Beatles - $9 (5/11/10) ///9 gaz cash
Dante's Inferno - $16 (5/11/10)/// 17 gaz cash
Dark Void - $7 (5/17/10)/// 11 gaz cash
Tekken 6 - $10.25 (5/19/10)/// 13 gaz cash
Assassin's Creed II - $10 (5/11/10)/// 13 gaz cash

GS ain't much better and values change daily. Gaz gives you 30 days and cash. BBY/EZ takes forever and has a bad reputation of screwing people and BBY only gives you credit to pay top dollar at their stores. AMZ is picky as hell and only gives 7 days.
[/QUOTE]

Right, but don't discount ezTrade-In/Best Buy entirely. On Dante's Inferno, for example, you can get nearly double there ($30) with the current promo pricing. And they also give you 30 days to send it in. I picked one up at Blockbuster the other day (during that sale glitch where it was half off) and locked it in for a $30 trade. I'm playing it right now and hope to finish it this weekend and mail it off next week - so it's like I'll get paid $10 to rent it ;). So, yeah, they might take a bit longer to process than Gazelle, but I don't need the payment that quickly.

I've also not really heard anything about them screwing people over. The only site that does that to a certain degree is Amazon/NorAm (with their pickiness and outright random rejections).

I believe Gazelle may be adjusting values of AMZ DOTD games same day or days later. Haven't been able to properly monitor that yet though. Maybe it's just wishful thinking though since you would think they'd advertise that if they raised the values.

I guess you need to get the PO to allow you to do it. I'd be afraid to ask since I ship stuff out late often and some people get crap from the PO about it, so I wouldn't want them seeing the dates.

I was just going by ezTrade-In/Best Buy's feedback scores given to them by users of their trade in service, which are dreadfully bad.

[quote name='confoosious']hey, can we add the whole Parcel Post vs Priority mail on the label thing to the OP? (not like anyone reads the OP but maybe...)[/QUOTE]

I'm working on a FAQ, about 50% done right now. I'm not exactly sure what to write about that though. I guess I'll write something and people can correct it if I'm wrong.

If anyone's interested in an Amazon credit to slightly more Amazon credit / Paypal flip via Gazelle -

GH5 standalone :wii: is currently on sale for 19.99 (max qty 3) from Amazon
Currently trades in at Gazelle for 22.00 base

I've built up probably a bit too much amazon credit, so I'm using this to turn some in to cash.

[quote name='handsomepete']If anyone's interested in an Amazon credit to slightly more Amazon credit / Paypal flip via Gazelle -

GH5 standalone :wii: is currently on sale for 19.99 (max qty 3) from Amazon
Currently trades in at Gazelle for 22.00 base

I've built up probably a bit too much amazon credit, so I'm using this to turn some in to cash.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I need to convert some Amazon video game credits to a regular Amazon GC and this works nicely.

Gazelle doesn't seem to have updated their database of accepted games in a long time. I've been checking Splinter Cell: Conviction and it still isn't on there along with all other new games I've checked. In the past, it usually ohly took about a week.

[quote name='ChunkyLover78']has anyone ever had a problem trading in a disc that has writing on top? i got a game from gs that has someone's name on it...[/QUOTE]

Yep, I've had them accept a couple of discs and a DS cart with writing. It wasn't much - just a couple of numbers written with a sharpie. To contrast, NorAm rejected 2 of the same games as "damaged". I tested both of them and they were fine so I sent them to Gazelle with no issues.

handsomepete - thanks for the GH5 tip. Now it is even better as it is $18.54 at Amazon and still gets $22 at Gazelle. I had 3 game credits to burn at Amazon and much to my surprise they all stacked. So that's some nice credit conversion, there, with a fair chunk of bonus credit on top ;).

[quote name='io']Yep, I've had them accept a couple of discs and a DS cart with writing. It wasn't much - just a couple of numbers written with a sharpie. To contrast, NorAm rejected 2 of the same games as "damaged". I tested both of them and they were fine so I sent them to Gazelle with no issues.

handsomepete - thanks for the GH5 tip. Now it is even better as it is $18.54 at Amazon and still gets $22 at Gazelle. I had 3 game credits to burn at Amazon and much to my surprise they all stacked. So that's some nice credit conversion, there, with a fair chunk of bonus credit on top ;).[/QUOTE]

and here I just spent 30 minutes getting the marker off 2 discs... Ugh. At least I got in on that GH 5 flip! :bouncy: Thank you handsomepete!

Here's a couple of nice opportunities to convert GS credit to cash

New Super Mario Bros Wii -

Gazelle is paying $32.00 base.
Gamestop is still selling it for $34.99 new/$29.99 used + the $10 coupon you receive.

Also, Super Street Fighter IV -

Gazelle is paying $25.00 base (PS3 & 360).
Gamestop is still selling at $27.99 new/$24.99 used + another $10 coupon.

Do you guys get receipts for all your packages sent out or will that not even matter? Gazelle insures them so maybe if anything happened the only place you would get screwed is if they're lost before they're scanned at the postal plant. I've been getting receipts but it can be a pain depending on employee.

[quote name='twinton']Here's a couple of nice opportunities to convert GS credit to cash

Gamestop is still selling it for $34.99 new/$29.99 used + the $10 coupon you receive.

Gamestop is still selling at $27.99 new/$24.99 used + another $10 coupon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on this - got 3 x ssiv using 25DEAL + EDGE for ~$55 in gs credit to swap out for $75 paypal at good ol gazelle.

I have noticed Gazelle has not been updating for over a week. WTF?!?!?! I hope this is not a bad sign. They used to be one day behind amazon.

[quote name='Estebon']I have noticed Gazelle has not been updating for over a week. WTF?!?!?! I hope this is not a bad sign. They used to be one day behind amazon.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but they did send me two PayPal payments on Saturday so they are still doing something, at least ;).

Well, I would have liked for them to match an amazon TIV but they never did. Now its even lower than before, and gazelle still has the same TIV. I'm thinking 1. Somethings fucked or 2. their TIV guy is on vaca. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

[quote name='twinton']Here's a couple of nice opportunities to convert GS credit to cash

Gamestop is still selling at $27.99 new/$24.99 used + another $10 coupon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I might have to grab some super street fighter IV for those coupons/paypal flips.

Just be careful ordering things from GS. They will ban you as a dealer if you spend too much in a single month or buy too many of a single item.

lmao at your gif but sexy at the same time :p

but huh i have until the 18th to ship off something, what happens if i go past the last day? Like if i ship on the 16 or 15, then it gets there the 19th or something.
does it get canceled or does the new value of the game get applied?
I was locked in for $32 for FF13 and it's about $18 right now, will it get changed?

I posed about that a week ago or so. I had a 3 game trade that took forever to get there via USPS Parcel Post. It arrived a day or two after the deadline and I got verified (and just got paid for today) at the full original value even though it had dropped weeks before.

So, I think you are OK if they are in transit before the 30 days are up - though earlier is always better.

[quote name='ahwang826']can anyone tell me what the deadline is to send in games once you get the quote.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='theking20']lmao at your gif but sexy at the same time :p

but huh i have until the 18th to ship off something, what happens if i go past the last day? Like if i ship on the 16 or 15, then it gets there the 19th or something.
does it get canceled or does the new value of the game get applied?
I was locked in for $32 for FF13 and it's about $18 right now, will it get changed?[/QUOTE]

I asked Gazelle this and they told me 30 days to get it postmarked & if you go past that you will get the current value. So io got lucky. It may be ymmv. Your larger worry should be your post office not accepting your package if it's too longer after the date you submitted it to gazelle. Also ymmv.

[quote name='J7.']I asked Gazelle this and they told me 30 days to get it postmarked & if you go past that you will get the current value. So io got lucky. It may be ymmv. Your larger worry should be your post office not accepting your package if it's too longer after the date you submitted it to gazelle. Also ymmv.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, mine was postmarked well before the 30 days. It mailed it towards the end (but with 10 days to spare!) and it just took forever to get there via Parcel Post and arrived a day or two after 30 days. So I was OK according to what they told you.

The OP says that it can take anywhere from 4 to 16 days to receive your money, I was just wondering has that gotten any better or worse since that was posted? Or is it still about the same? I'm thinking of trying this out, and would like to get the money fairly quickly if possible.

Alright, my first package has been sent out. Now I'll just wait and see. I requested a prepaid box but decided to go ahead and just ship it out using the label they emailed me instead. When I get the box would I be able to use it for my next shipment, or is it tied to the one I just sent out?

It's not tied to that one but it is a priority mail box and they send you parcel post labels.

It's been over an hour. Damn this. The value better not change at Amazon or Gazelle in the next 5 minutes.

Can you please put this into the OP, thank you.

If I think of more stuff to add I will do it, and even anyone else can think of anything just let us know. If there's anything in here that is best to leave out for the best interest of all of us also let us know. I know I am forgetting stuff because I had planned on putting more, but I've forgotten and thought it was just best to get this up now.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.

I just traded in a few Lego Rock Bands for Wii and a Wario Land: Shake It I didn't want. I'll end up getting $50, assuming they don't count off for a couple of the LRBs not having their manuals. :p

But I swear. Every time I've taken a Gazelle package to the post office (now at three times) the worker behind the counter always informs me I paid more than I had to to ship the package. And every time, I've told her it was pre-paid, and that I didn't pay for it. I wonder how many packages it'll take for them to realize it... XD

Wondering if gazelle has a global limit of 3 games like some other sites or if I can send in multiples across a few different orders. Didn't see this in any part of this thread. Thanks!

bread's done
Back