Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked a postman about this. the restriction on weight (< 13 oz) is only if it's STAMPED. If it's a prepaid label, it can go in now problem.

Well good news I guess.

My uncle called me today saying he has a third printer he was going to throw out so he asked if I wanted it.

Atleast if my labels don't come in I can just print them out instead of having to wait.

Anyone else's mailman expend 3 times the effort to avoid getting out of his vehicle?

Last mailman I had used to just drop off the giant gazelle boxes at my door. Looked out the window as the mail came today and he sat there a good minute using a couple rubber bands to fasten the packages onto our mailbox. Least it's easier to see when the mail has come from inside the house if I get a gazelle box now.

My mailman put my last gazelle package in my screendoor, same with most big packages.

But that's funny, fastening it with rubber bands.

I guess it helps that my mailbox is on the house.

I just like to err on the side of caution regarding this issue since we don't know if they're only charged for what it actually weighs since the repercussions would cost us a significant amount of time shipping and tracking the shipments & verifications & payments, and cost us more money to ship our stuff out. Maybe we won't have to worry if the new gazelle site changes it up.

I didn't even bother trying to get priority, I'm in no rush, I just sent it out parcel.

That label still hasn't shown up lol. Then the printer I got the ink is dried up in the cartridges so that's no good.

I think I might cancel these 4 games and re do it instead of just request a new label. Because by the time I receive that one it could almost be 2 weeks. Unless they print out one with a new date.

Anyone know when the new gazelle site or whatever takes off? There's a couple games I have that aren't on the site that I wouldn't mind sending in. Sucks not having stuff update.

You could try your local library to print out labels maybe. I once had a box become requested and I think I waited like 1.5 weeks and it never came so I canceled it/changed it back to my own label.

I've canceled tons of games submitted to them and the same with Amazon. I try not to, especially after canceling so many, but sometimes i have to. Lately I haven't canceled as much. I try to trade it off by not canceling too many while not sending too many old ones through USPS.

There is no news on when the new gazelle site is coming. Someone on here joined the beta so maybe he can tell us what it's like.

I had to use the library to print out an rma label before, it's just it's summer and the place is swamped with people who don't have a computer or internet lol.

Actually if I don't get it tomorrow I'll cancel and reset up a new one and head to the library early on monday or tuesday or something and print it out. I just hate going there and dealing with the people who sit on the library's computer surfing facebook >.>

Well I requested a new box and label so hopefully I get it in the middle of this week or so.

Of course I do have the whole printing thing to fall back on. Hell I should have my own printer but honestly I don't really use a printer enough to justify the purchase.

Question: has anyone sent in special editions of games and if so do you need to send in everything with it? During the last glitch on Gamestop.com I ordered a used regular Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (360) but as a nice bonus they sent me the Hardened Edition instead :D. Had already planned on sending it to Gazelle after playing it for a week or two, this just makes it better ($42 trade in for Hardened vs $26 trade in for regular). I know I'd have to send them the game and artbook, but would I also have to send them the Call of Duty Classic download code (assumming it has not been used yet)?

[quote name='JediJames2']Question: has anyone sent in special editions of games and if so do you need to send in everything with it? During the last glitch on Gamestop.com I ordered a used regular Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (360) but as a nice bonus they sent me the Hardened Edition instead :D. Had already planned on sending it to Gazelle after playing it for a week or two, this just makes it better ($42 trade in for Hardened vs $26 trade in for regular). I know I'd have to send them the game and artbook, but would I also have to send them the Call of Duty Classic download code (assumming it has not been used yet)?[/QUOTE]

No, you should be fine.

[quote name='J7.']That does sound irritating. I haven't been to the library in a while.[/QUOTE]

I'm a computer assistant at the library. My job is to help all these people :drool:

Potential flip opportunity. Amazon has Wii Guitar Hero 5 for $16.54. Gazelle gives $22. If you want Amazon credit, that's $23.10. Amazon has a purchase limit of 3.

Well my label for June 17th showed up today, the missing one.

Postmark was the 25th lol.

Anyway I got an updated transaction label coming soon so I'll just use that.

Nice on the GH5 wii, If I hadn't used my last batch of credit I would turn 50 credit back into like 70.

Package sent via Fedex took 6 days. Glad it went last weekend and not this one.

EDIT: They did, however, just confirm it arrived today

I was in the same situation - i sent them the code in the box - as im sure it was used ,but should have pulled it out to make sure.

[quote name='JediJames2']Question: has anyone sent in special editions of games and if so do you need to send in everything with it? During the last glitch on Gamestop.com I ordered a used regular Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (360) but as a nice bonus they sent me the Hardened Edition instead :D. Had already planned on sending it to Gazelle after playing it for a week or two, this just makes it better ($42 trade in for Hardened vs $26 trade in for regular). I know I'd have to send them the game and artbook, but would I also have to send them the Call of Duty Classic download code (assumming it has not been used yet)?[/QUOTE]

Here's a good Gamestop to Gazelle flip -

Wii Hasbro Family Game Night

Gamestop.com is selling it for $12.99 used/$14.99 new

Gazelle is paying $20.00 cash or $21.00 Amazon credit

Combine this with the $10 GS coupons that everybody seems to have and it's a great flip!

Edit - Damn...you guys wiped out GS.com quickly (used and new are no longer in stock). Glad I ordered all I wanted before posting this. Looks like anybody else wanting to get in on this flip will need to find used copies in-store for the time being.

Damn 10$ coupon wouldn't work for me for some reason, with no other coupons attached, so I defaulted to the trusty CAG16 and SAVER instead. I will call later to try to get the 10 coupon applied to the order. I have success in the past doing that.

Wrong topic buddy.

Anyway, Gazelle should use usps FC to ship the mailers out.

I think they use the UPS mail innovations and it ends up taking way too long sometimes.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Wrong topic buddy.

Anyway, Gazelle should use usps FC to ship the mailers out.

I think they use the UPS mail innovations and it ends up taking way too long sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Hardly, I was commenting on the suggestion given by the poster directly above mine. :booty:

Got an email about some minor changes to the Gazelle trade-in program. It is really just on the shipping side. They are responding to customer concerns over "package weight issues" and as a result will be offering both UPS and USPS shipping. Also, they will not be sending boxes out any more.

That's it - no big deal, really, though I hope the complainers didn't ruin my ability to use priority mail on the overpaid parcel post labels. I really don't even get what the "package weight issues" would be since they always overestimate the weight, unlike, say, Dealtree, which lowballs it.

Yeah I don't know what the deal is, but I always used my own boxes anyway that I have lying around the house from amazon/newegg/etc orders, so it was never a big deal to me. Even $2 at a walmart isn't a huge issue. I'm wondering what the 'new' label is, and what the difference between their UPS and USPS labels will be because they, quote, "will provide you with a new type of shipping label. This label will give you the choice to ship from a USPS or UPS and will help eliminate concerns about package weight".

So does that mean that it won't be parcel post anymore? And how does choosing between UPS/USPS change the weight issue? Oh well time will tell.

For those who missed the email:
Hello,

Because you recently traded in video games or movies with Gazelle, we wanted to let you know about a change we're making to our shipping assistance program for those categories.

We know some customers have run into package weight issues when using our current shipping program for video games and movies. To eliminate the potential for this challenge, starting July 1st, we are making 2 changes:

1. We will continue to provide free shipping on video game and movie trades, but will provide you with a new type of shipping label. This label will give you the choice to ship from a USPS or UPS and will help eliminate concerns about package weight.
  2. Transactions that only contain video games and movies will no longer qualify for packaging. Moving forward, you will need to provide your own shipping box for video game and movie trades.
We're always evolving and improving our service in an effort to make your trade-in experience
as easy as possible. If you have any questions about this change, or ideas about how to improve Gazelle, don't hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] any time.

Can't wait to see what you send in next...

From Everyone at Gazelle,
Keep it Moving

[quote name='lukewin']Potential flip opportunity. Amazon has Wii Guitar Hero 5 for $16.54. Gazelle gives $22. If you want Amazon credit, that's $23.10. Amazon has a purchase limit of 3.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I had about $50 in amazon credit anyways that I wasn't using at this moment. Easy way to turn it into $70 for pretty minimal effort.

[quote name='stoned99']Hardly, I was commenting on the suggestion given by the poster directly above mine. :booty:[/QUOTE]
My bad, didn't see above my post.

Write the code down, send it in, use code before it's verified. Assuming you're using the code, not selling it.

[quote name='lukewin']Potential flip opportunity. Amazon has Wii Guitar Hero 5 for $16.54. Gazelle gives $22. If you want Amazon credit, that's $23.10. Amazon has a purchase limit of 3.[/QUOTE]

Ya, this was posted a while back.

[quote name='io']Got an email about some minor changes to the Gazelle trade-in program. It is really just on the shipping side. They are responding to customer concerns over "package weight issues" and as a result will be offering both UPS and USPS shipping. Also, they will not be sending boxes out any more.

That's it - no big deal, really, though I hope the complainers didn't ruin my ability to use priority mail on the overpaid parcel post labels. I really don't even get what the "package weight issues" would be since they always overestimate the weight, unlike, say, Dealtree, which lowballs it.[/QUOTE]

Got that too. I think it's just part of their transition to the new Gazelle, they mentioned they would be adding more flexibility with shipping. I think since they now offer USPS & UPS they avoid confusion by eliminating boxes as well as make UPS look as good as USPS to consumers. UPS may have also only agreed if there were certain terms, though that is less likely. Maybe they just wanted to save money shipping boxes to people or were not happy with how long USPS was taking. Or it's because of the new label system.

What is strange is their FAQ lists FedEx not UPS. I think you'll still be able to do your thing, just request usps to send you the boxes. I don't think it was because of anything we said on here. I think they'd wait to see many people using priority before taking any action.

I mailed in a package last week ago and had arrived at destination. However the package was not delievered instead a notice was left for pickup. Have this ever happen to anybody?

[quote name='chanster']I mailed in a package last week ago and had arrived at destination. However the package was not delievered instead a notice was left for pickup. Have this ever happen to anybody?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Nothing to worry about.

Will Gazelle ever update their game list? The most recent games I can recall them adding were Super Street Fighter 4, which came out 3 months ago.

I trust them a lot more than Amazon with rejecting things, plus Amazon likes to bounce their values up & down day-to-day. Gamestop doesn't really believe in giving more than $25 for a game, unless you can work a promo. From all the horror stories I've heard about BB/DealTree, I'm not even going there. And eBay is hit or miss as far as getting a good value (actually sold COD WAW for $25 because of a bidding war between 2 ppl).

[quote name='dyeknom']Yes. Nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened with my package. Does usps just automatically try to redeliver the package or do you have to request a redelivery?

[quote name='rp71284']Will Gazelle ever update their game list? The most recent games I can recall them adding were Super Street Fighter 4, which came out 3 months ago.

I trust them a lot more than Amazon with rejecting things, plus Amazon likes to bounce their values up & down day-to-day. Gamestop doesn't really believe in giving more than $25 for a game, unless you can work a promo. From all the horror stories I've heard about BB/DealTree, I'm not even going there. And eBay is hit or miss as far as getting a good value (actually sold COD WAW for $25 because of a bidding war between 2 ppl).[/QUOTE]

Gazelle has online chat. You can ask them about updating their games. Gazelle is the only place I flip games too, i love em :D

Question: I've got a game whose previous owner apparently separated the front side and the back side of the original cover art insert. In other words, the spine is missing. Would this qualify as original artwork included, or too iffy?

[quote name='Blank Earth']Question: I've got a game whose previous owner apparently separated the front side and the back side of the original cover art insert. In other words, the spine is missing. Would this qualify as original artwork included, or too iffy?[/QUOTE]

Was the previous owner fucking retarded?

if it's like $1 difference, just don't check orginal artwork.

[quote name='Morphx2']Gazelle has online chat. You can ask them about updating their games. Gazelle is the only place I flip games too, i love em :D[/QUOTE]

Here's the exact answer I got from them.

"Honestly I wish I knew. I know the product management guys are working on it, but I'm not sure how long it will take them to compile the new list and get it added."

So ouch. :(

Ugh, my shipping label hasn't come in yet and I leave for Missouri tomorrow until monday.

Sucks I don't have a printer, oh well.

Has anyone used USPS shipping with the new labels?

The tracking number on the new labels for USPS don't seem to be paid for, the old ones used to say 'Electronic shipping info received' but the new ones aren't even in the USPS system even though the labels say package can be dropped off with either UPS or USPS. Anyone know if these can still be used for sending them packages via USPS?

[quote name='biuevenom']Has anyone used USPS shipping with the new labels?

The tracking number on the new labels for USPS don't seem to be paid for, the old ones used to say 'Electronic shipping info received' but the new ones aren't even in the USPS system even though the labels say package can be dropped off with either UPS or USPS. Anyone know if these can still be used for sending them packages via USPS?[/QUOTE]

I was a little skeptical to still use usps with the new labels, but I just got back from the post office and asked them about it and they said its fine and the packages can still be dropped off with either usps or ups.

[quote name='biuevenom']Has anyone used USPS shipping with the new labels?

The tracking number on the new labels for USPS don't seem to be paid for, the old ones used to say 'Electronic shipping info received' but the new ones aren't even in the USPS system even though the labels say package can be dropped off with either UPS or USPS. Anyone know if these can still be used for sending them packages via USPS?[/QUOTE]

I was a little skeptical to still use usps with the new labels, but I just got back from the post office and asked them about it and they said its fine and the packages can still be dropped off with either usps or ups.

Thanks, got the same response from my mail carrier when I asked while he was dropping off my mail today. He also stated the postal service would give the package to UPS at the sort facility for this type of label so he recommended just dropping off with UPS directly.

Whoever does the shipping estimates or programs them for Gazelle needs to lose their job.

I just shipped out 9 games. The label says 10 lbs, when it only weighs 2 lbs 2 oz. A regular Xbox 360/Wii game weighs at most 7 oz (when most are about 4-5) and a PS3 game weighs at most 9 oz (when most are about 6-7).

I'm scared to even see what they would put if I was shipping something like a full Beatles Rockband bundle.

[quote name='rp71284']Whoever does the shipping estimates or programs them for Gazelle needs to lose their job.

I just shipped out 9 games. The label says 10 lbs, when it only weighs 2 lbs 2 oz. A regular Xbox 360/Wii game weighs at most 7 oz (when most are about 4-5) and a PS3 game weighs at most 9 oz (when most are about 6-7).

I'm scared to even see what they would put if I was shipping something like a full Beatles Rockband bundle.[/QUOTE]

whats wrong with overestimating a shipping weight that you arent paying for?

I doubt they pay for all the shipping anyway. They probably overestimate just incase and pay what it actually weighs. These businesses aren't stupid, they don't just throw away money.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I doubt they pay for all the shipping anyway. They probably overestimate just incase and pay what it actually weighs. These businesses aren't stupid, they don't just throw away money.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They are only billed based on the real weight of the package. This is true of any account based shipping. (As opposed to cash shipping.)

Tried to give Gazelle a try a few weeks back, mostly because I don't have access to a printer and they offered to ship the label. Got the package and shipping label on the 29th, packed it up, and took it to the post office.

I guess my postmaster is a dick, because he wouldn't accept the package because the postage on it was dated the 28th. Not much I can do if I don't receive the label before the postmarked date. I guess without printing out the label personally, Gazelle won't be of much use. :(

[quote name='helmet']Tried to give Gazelle a try a few weeks back, mostly because I don't have access to a printer and they offered to ship the label. Got the package and shipping label on the 29th, packed it up, and took it to the post office.

I guess my postmaster is a dick, because he wouldn't accept the package because the postage on it was dated the 28th. Not much I can do if I don't receive the label before the postmarked date. I guess without printing out the label personally, Gazelle won't be of much use. :([/QUOTE]

Print the label at a library or Kinko's. UPS Store has let me print labels before free of charge right before handing them the package.

bread's done
Back