Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ttonylema']No limit I have done around 25 for wii guitar hero 5 with no problems at all[/QUOTE]

I get the feeling Gazelle is gonna do a 3 limit when they refresh their site.

i've noticed you guys talking about the upcoming gazelle.com relaunch but I have some games that I want to send in now. Can I do that now or do I risk not getting compensated until the new site comes online?

[quote name='ttonylema']No limit I have done around 25 for wii guitar hero 5 with no problems at all[/QUOTE]

25??!!! Going a little overboard? Things like this WILL cause them to institute limits.

Yeah it's a little excessive but was crazier to me is that they are not updating there database. Maybe this is a very tiny part of their business but in the ever-changing video game trade in business that they do not update their system is really a poor business move and I don't feel sorry for them at all for their oversight.

TAKE WARNING HAWAII AND ALASKA RESIDENTS: NO FREE SHIPPING FOR YOU!!!!
I signed up, added my game, and headed to checkout and I got this message:

"Unfortunately we are not able to provide free shipping or packaging to customers outside the contiguous United States at this time.
We’ll email you instructions for shipping to us once you finish checkout."

I am extremely disappointed. Luckily I didn't buy a lot of games from Sears. What I did buy I'll just flip to gamestop just in time for their b2g1 free tomorrow. I have some multiples such as 3 metallica ps3 that I can't send to amazon b/c i already sent 3 to them already. Guess I'll trade one to Gamestop and hold on to the other two which isn't too bad.

Anyway, hopefully the op can update the faq.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PublikDefender']TAKE WARNING HAWAII AND ALASKA RESIDENTS: NO FREE SHIPPING FOR YOU!!!!
I signed up, added my game, and headed to checkout and I got this message:

"Unfortunately we are not able to provide free shipping or packaging to customers outside the contiguous United States at this time.
We’ll email you instructions for shipping to us once you finish checkout."

I am extremely disappointed. Luckily I didn't buy a lot of games from Sears. What I did buy I'll just flip to gamestop just in time for their b2g1 free tomorrow. I have some multiples such as 3 metallica ps3 that I can't send to amazon b/c i already sent 3 to them already. Guess I'll trade one to Gamestop and hold on to the other two which isn't too bad.

Anyway, hopefully the op can update the faq.[/QUOTE]

It's probably because they'd have to use Priority or UPS Air service for you. My friend lived in HI for a year and I bought a ton of things for him because there are still websites that won't ship there, or will charge excessive fees.

Wait a minute. The new labels require USPS to give the package to UPS and they don't have delivery confirmation for them anymore?

So my label I requested still hasn't shown up. Probably because at the time they shipped out with that shitty ups mail innovations.

Say do they still mail out labels? or is it strictly by print out only?

[quote name='J7.']Wait a minute. The new labels require USPS to give the package to UPS and they don't have delivery confirmation for them anymore?[/QUOTE]

What? No.

The new labels have both UPS and USPS. You can drop off at either.

[quote name='confoosious']What? No.

The new labels have both UPS and USPS. You can drop off at either.[/QUOTE]

As convenient as the post office is for me, I trust UPS tracking more than USPS.
Plus, I've never had good experiences with Parcel Post.

[quote name='confoosious']What? No.

The new labels have both UPS and USPS. You can drop off at either.[/QUOTE]
Check out this.

[quote name='biuevenom']Thanks, got the same response from my mail carrier when I asked while he was dropping off my mail today. He also stated the postal service would give the package to UPS at the sort facility for this type of label so he recommended just dropping off with UPS directly.[/QUOTE]
With no tracking and them giving the thing off to UPS. This blows now. One of them can lose it and you won't know who did or they'll blame the other. So has anyone been able to still get tracking with USPS? UPS is far away and they get pissed when you ask for a receipt. Even giving them a prepaid package gets em pissed. Then they get more pissed.

[quote name='J7.']Check out this.

With no tracking and them giving the thing off to UPS. This blows now. One of them can lose it and you won't know who did or they'll blame the other. So has anyone been able to still get tracking with USPS? UPS is far away and they get pissed when you ask for a receipt. Even giving them a prepaid package gets em pissed. Then they get more pissed.[/QUOTE]

Do you bring to a UPS store? Mine is in a douchey area, so the staff isn't horrible. Heck, I've never seen a soul in there except me. I just put em on the scale, let them scan it, and I get my receipt on their thermal printer.

Don't forget Staples takes UPS packages too AFAIK.

EDIT: Actually the only positive I see from USPS over UPS is this. If you physically can get a USPS worker to scan your package when you drop it off, you'll see this in the tracking:

Acceptance, Jun-22-10, 09:18 AM, COLUMBUS, OH, 43201

UPS only has a line for when it leaves the first hub. Problem is, 99% of USPS workers say "Leave it at the counter".

And I'm pretty sure if you give it to UPS, they handle it from there on. I prepped a package on Monday, dropped it off yesterday, and it just left the Baltimore hub. I'm almost 100% sure that this package w/Parcel Post would be taking its sweet time.

EDIT #2: Here's another argument against USPS

Here's a package I dropped off at 1pm EST on 7/13:

Processed through Sort Facility, Jul-14-10, 18:05 PM, COLUMBUS, OH, 43218

There's no reason a package that is dropped off in a metered slot inside a PO (that usually has a 5pm pickup time) to not be processed for a whole day. If this was a Priority envelope, I'd really be pissed off.

Sent my first package to Gazelle using the new hybrid shipping on Monday. I dropped it off at a local copy shop that handles both UPS and USPS shipping. Guy at the counter said this new system was pretty crappy and has been losing lots of packages. He said the way it works is it's supposed to be picked up by USPS, who hands it off to UPS, who may or may not hand it back to USPS for final delivery. All I know is my package made it to Gazelle a day faster than it normally does and from what I can tell UPS was the only one who touched it.

I bring it to the UPS Store. Does UPS care if you bring it much later than the date on the label and reject it like USPS might? I can get receipts at USPS though so I might just stick with that and not get tracking. Better than driving way out to get UPS pissed at me.

This new system certainly does sound crappy and I'm not surprised lots of packages are being lost. It's ridiculous to have one shipping company pick something up and hand it off to another to ship it, and then maybe even take it back at the end to complete the shipment. It's set up for all sorts of problems. I urge everyone here to contact Gazelle and let them know you want USPS labels as an option.

So I guess them sending out labels is a thing of the past. Not unless you put one of their qualifying items in your box.

I still think it should be an option, they could just send out labels by themselves if need be and it wouldn't cost much. They could do it first class mail. I have a feeling not too many people don't have printers though :p

[quote name='J7.']Wait a minute. The new labels require USPS to give the package to UPS and they don't have delivery confirmation for them anymore?[/QUOTE]

I dropped off 1 package to USPS and the tracking info for USPS doesn't exist until they decide to scan it into their system, but I can see if the worker decides to abscond with your package it'll be like it never got dropped off unless you watch them scan it. After they scan it the online confirmation showed;

Label/Receipt Number: 9158 9010 0303
Service(s): Parcel Return Service

Your item was picked up by the shipping agent at 10:55 AM on July 13, 2010 in XXXXXXX, NY XXXXX. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

You'll end up having to check UPS for the final delivery after that, so most people should just drop it off at UPS and get a receipt.

What happens if your package shows up after the expiration date of the quote? I kind of waited too long to mail my last shipment and it expires on the 21st. I sent it out on monday figuring it would show up just under the wire, but the tracking info hasn't been updated and still just says "Electronic shipping info received". I'm kind of worried because I was thinking of cancelling my old quote and getting a new one, but I checked and a couple of DVDs I had in the package were worth $15, but have now dropped to not being worth anything.

[quote name='J7.']I bring it to the UPS Store. Does UPS care if you bring it much later than the date on the label and reject it like USPS might? I can get receipts at USPS though so I might just stick with that and not get tracking. Better than driving way out to get UPS pissed at me.

This new system certainly does sound crappy and I'm not surprised lots of packages are being lost. It's ridiculous to have one shipping company pick something up and hand it off to another to ship it, and then maybe even take it back at the end to complete the shipment. It's set up for all sorts of problems. I urge everyone here to contact Gazelle and let them know you want USPS labels as an option.[/QUOTE]

I dropped off a return going back to Amazon with a label of 7/5. Honestly, if the label scans fine and the postage isn't used, they have no reason to give you a hard time. Maybe a look, but who cares?

Like I said in an earlier post, there are other options than UPS stores. You have Staples (which has earlier & later hours than most UPS stores), Office Depot (not sure if they still take them since there aren't any by me), UPS drop boxes and affiliate stores.

I understand your frustration, but UPS Ground >>>>> USPS Parcel Post. Now if Gazelle started offering Priority Mail, that would be a different story. But like I said earlier, a package with Parcel Post will take forever to get to its destination. Not that this doesn't happen with UPS, but when I send a package from OH to MI, why the fuck is it now in PA?

Looks like there are some flip opportunities if you can get the B2G1 working on Gamestop's website. First ones I noticed offhand:

Indiana Jones 2 (360 or Wii)
Gamestop sells for $17.99, trades to Gazelle for $20

Hasbro Family Game Night (360)
Gamestop sells for $17.99, trades to Gazelle for $20

Please forgive me if this has been asked in the past...

I've used the site several times before, and have always used Paypal. I would generally receive my payment with a few days of them approving the games, which overall was a fairly timely fashion. This time I decided to use Amazon to get the bonus 5% and it says it's going to take 10-14 days?

Why the hell does it take so much longer to use Amazon over Paypal as a method of payment?

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Please forgive me if this has been asked in the past...

I've used the site several times before, and have always used Paypal. I would generally receive my payment with a few days of them approving the games, which overall was a fairly timely fashion. This time I decided to use Amazon to get the bonus 5% and it says it's going to take 10-14 days?

Why the hell does it take so much longer to use Amazon over Paypal as a method of payment?[/QUOTE]

I used Gazelle for the first time last week - they accepted my stuff on Friday and it said the same thing. However, I got my gift card code yesterday. Maybe it's just a cya thing for them? Dunno.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Please forgive me if this has been asked in the past...

Why the hell does it take so much longer to use Amazon over Paypal as a method of payment?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't take any longer. They say the same thing for PayPal payments by the way - like 2 or 3 weeks after verification. But they always pay via either method within a few days.

Actually, I just checked my last 2 trades (one PayPal, one Amazon) and both say the payment will take 3 to 5 days. I think if I check on my account, though, it says it will take longer. But yeah, it takes 3-5 days usually.

Edit: Yep, I just verified the discrepancy between what they say in email vs what they have on your account. I have a pending PayPal payment and the status update email from the 13th says "3 to 5 days" while on my account it says "Estimated payment by 07/28/2010 via Paypal", which is 2 weeks. So, yeah, I don't know why they do that ;).

[quote name='rp71284']
I understand your frustration, but UPS Ground >>>>> USPS Parcel Post. Now if Gazelle started offering Priority Mail, that would be a different story. But like I said earlier, a package with Parcel Post will take forever to get to its destination. Not that this doesn't happen with UPS, but when I send a package from OH to MI, why the fuck is it now in PA?[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. At best, they are equivalent. But from West Coast to East Coast Parcel Post usually takes about 4-5 days. Yeah, I've had a few take as long as 10 days, but that is rare. UPS Ground, on the other hand, is a guaranteed 8-9 days: it is never faster. Gazelle did offer priority - I just sent some stuff in last week and it took 2 days to get across country and was verified a day later. That was a speed record for me... But that was a label I generated before July 1st, so I guess it has all changed now and no more priority (by using the overpaid Parcel Post labels that is). I haven't mailed anything under the new system but it sounds like a big step down from before.

Having a delay with payment this time. Got accepted payment total Monday, still no payment. Never been this long before.

[quote name='rp71284']I dropped off a return going back to Amazon with a label of 7/5. Honestly, if the label scans fine and the postage isn't used, they have no reason to give you a hard time. Maybe a look, but who cares?

Like I said in an earlier post, there are other options than UPS stores. You have Staples (which has earlier & later hours than most UPS stores), Office Depot (not sure if they still take them since there aren't any by me), UPS drop boxes and affiliate stores.

I understand your frustration, but UPS Ground >>>>> USPS Parcel Post. Now if Gazelle started offering Priority Mail, that would be a different story. But like I said earlier, a package with Parcel Post will take forever to get to its destination. Not that this doesn't happen with UPS, but when I send a package from OH to MI, why the fuck is it now in PA?[/QUOTE]

I care because the package could be lost between changing USPS-UPS hands, and if I drop it off to USPS I do not have tracking for it so if something happens I have no way of proving to Gazelle it was shipped or when they should get it, and UPS is a long drive where they get pissed even if you drop 1 prepaid package off a month so I can't imagine how they'd act if I'm going there much more often.

I checked out Staples on google and there are tons of people pissed with their UPS shipping service. Many people have their package damaged or lost and then when they goto Staples about it they're told they need to contact UPS but when they contact UPS they're told Staples is responsible. They make phone calls, send faxes, etc about it and they never get a response. Staples is also a long drive. UPS drop boxes you get no receipt. In my experience Parcel Post has been as fast as ground and often faster. But I don't care about shipping speed, I care about proof that my package was sent and delivered.

[quote name='biuevenom']I dropped off 1 package to USPS and the tracking info for USPS doesn't exist until they decide to scan it into their system, but I can see if the worker decides to abscond with your package it'll be like it never got dropped off unless you watch them scan it. After they scan it the online confirmation showed;

Label/Receipt Number: 9158 9010 0303
Service(s): Parcel Return Service

Your item was picked up by the shipping agent at 10:55 AM on July 13, 2010 in XXXXXXX, NY XXXXX. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

You'll end up having to check UPS for the final delivery after that, so most people should just drop it off at UPS and get a receipt.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you must get it scanned when you drop it off because it will not be scanned later since they give it to UPS or maybe there's still a chance USPS will scan it at the plant right before they give it to UPS. Has anyone not had it scanned when you drop it off and still have it show up at some point on USPS Delivery Confirmation site?

Are you saying it does show UPS tracking on their site even when you drop it off with USPS?

[quote name='rainking187']What happens if your package shows up after the expiration date of the quote? I kind of waited too long to mail my last shipment and it expires on the 21st. I sent it out on monday figuring it would show up just under the wire, but the tracking info hasn't been updated and still just says "Electronic shipping info received". I'm kind of worried because I was thinking of cancelling my old quote and getting a new one, but I checked and a couple of DVDs I had in the package were worth $15, but have now dropped to not being worth anything.[/QUOTE]

It's in the FAQ. You get current value. So if it's after 30 days you get the value that it currently is on the site when it's postmarked.

I've found Gazelle is taking *slightly* longer to pay but they have been inspecting items immediately upon receipt. (same day in last 3 shipments.)

Since I know Gazelle will pay, it doesn't bother me. I prefer the instant review and acceptance of my games.

Has anyone who has sent under the new system via USPS have it show up as accepted on their site at some point, or have it show up under UPS tracking later on?

Does anyone know if it matters which UPC you give them for a game that may have more than one upc?

[quote name='J7.']Has anyone who has sent under the new system via USPS have it show up as accepted on their site at some point, or have it show up under UPS tracking later on?

Does anyone know if it matters which UPC you give them for a game that may have more than one upc?[/QUOTE]

not really as gazelle took my copies that states no for resale.

[quote name='J7.']Having a delay with payment this time. Got accepted payment total Monday, still no payment. Never been this long before.
[/QUOTE]

I just got paid Friday afternoon for a package that was accepted on Tuesday.

[quote name='hqn101']not really as gazelle took my copies that states no for resale.[/QUOTE]

Ya I know they will take non-upc games, but I'm wondering if they extend that to taking different UPC's that don't pull up on Amazon for example. They probably do but I don't feel like testing that right now.

io I just checked and my payment came today too. Anyone else waiting should check too.

Sent my box on monday. They received and accepted it on tuesday. I'm still waiting for my payment. In the meantime I just picked up in store 3 copies of family game night with gamestop's b2g1. I'll wait until I get my payment before I send in that one.

[quote name='sittinghawk3']they are really slow with payments, asked for amazon gift card for my game, they received on the 7, still haven't even received notification email[/QUOTE]

That is not normal. I would contact them about that. If they got it on the 7th, I'd have expected verification within a day or two.

[quote name='J7.']What did you tell them for buying 3 copies?[/QUOTE]

The GS employee was like "You must really like this game." I said they were gifts and he just shrugged it off. This was inside a mall gamestop btw.

I wish they'd update their games list to include some newer games. Blur, Split/Second, Splinter Cell Conviction, Alan Wake, etc, none of them showing.

I'm beginning to think they're getting out of the games market altogether, but rather than say it, they just stop updating the games they'll take.

Has anyone shipped anything out using USPS or UPS that used a new label that was older than the day of shipment? I'm trying to see if there will be any problem with UPS accepting old labels even if you use USPS or UPS to drop it off.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I wish they'd update their games list to include some newer games. Blur, Split/Second, Splinter Cell Conviction, Alan Wake, etc, none of them showing.

I'm beginning to think they're getting out of the games market altogether, but rather than say it, they just stop updating the games they'll take.[/QUOTE]

nah, that doesn't make sense because they are losing a lot of money on the games they are still taking at inflated prices. If they were getting out, they'd just update their db to give 1/4 of the value currently offered and nobody would send in games.

I found there eBay account and they did not have any games for sale at all it makes me wonder if they are building a Lego Indiana jones fort :)

[quote name='J7.']Has anyone shipped anything out using USPS or UPS that used a new label that was older than the day of shipment? I'm trying to see if there will be any problem with UPS accepting old labels even if you use USPS or UPS to drop it off.[/QUOTE]

Last 2 times I've chatted with them, the CS rep said their management team was still building the new database, and it should be up "shortly". At this rate, they're always going to be behind the curve.

What sucks is trying to read any of their blogs or Facebook pages. It's all cell phones all the time lol.

I'm confused. I'm trying to find out if UPS will ship stuff with old labels whether you give it to them or they get it from USPS.

bread's done
Back