GBA SP Price Drop $79.99

If they follow the pattern of past GameBoy pricing generations, the GBA will go down to $50 before disappearing entirely. From there it will depnd on what and when Nintendo does for the next GameBoy. They've stated that there will be another unit that is the true successor to the GBA SP while DS remains in its own high-end category.

OMG t3h m3g4t0n!

Seriously, though, this is a smart move. :) I hope they keep up the aggressive hold on the handheld market, just to give Sony some better competition this time. The N64 just didn't cut it. :whistle2:/

[quote name='tenzor']At work today, we got marketing materials for a GBA SP price drop. The price is going to be $79.99. I am not sure when it goes in effect, but the box said not to display yet. The price drop should be coming up soon, so if anyone is going to get a GBA SP anytime soon, wait for the price drop.[/quote]

EB? Gamestop? Best Buy?

If I can get the SP for $60 within the next couple weeks new, I'd pick it up right away. I hope a good sale happens after the price drop.

Any word on a simultaneous GBA price drop?

They should sell the GBA's for $49 if they're going to sell the SP for $79.

Its official to me. I got some small bit of news from my old work (Game Crazy) that it is dropping to $79.99. Looks like later next week (tons of DS promo items will be hitting in the next month include dummy units)

Although tempting, I think I don't think I am going to buy one, I'll just wait a couple of months and get the DS, considering it's GBA backwards compatable.

Oh crap. I just bought one of the new retro ones when they were on sale at CC a while back. 10 bucks isn't that big of a deal though. : \

nice...
i just returned by broken sp to costco (over a year after purchasing it and i got full credit back...costco is the best), and thought this might be coming, so i held off on getting a new one... jus didnt think itd be so soon...

[quote name='dracula']will the gba player be dropping anytime soon?[/quote]

I hope, a $29.99 price would look nice.

[quote name='suko_32']You would think it might have dropped more since the DS in very close now. Thanks for the post![/quote]

Exactly. Hopefully that means that Nintendo will price the DS at $129 or less.

With a commonly suggested price of $179 for the DS I think most of the prospective buyers would be happy to see it instead at $149.

One thing to remember, according to Nintendo the DS is not a successor to the GBA SP. It's a new High-end category and a new product with the Game Boy name is still due to appear at some future point in the $100 price slot in keeping with the GameBoy formula. What form that future GameBoy will take is unknown but don't expect too low of a DS price price in relation to the GBA SP's new price. There is a yet to be filled hole forming for a product in between those two.

Does anyone know if there has been word about whether or not the DS will work with the Gamecube-to-GBA connector for games like Zelda?

[quote name='damack']Does anyone know if there has been word about whether or not the DS will work with the Gamecube-to-GBA connector for games like Zelda?[/quote]

As much as Nintendo pimps that damned connectivity BS? I'm sure it will.

Maybe the ds is coming out in November. I thought it was a little to soon since Nintendo hasn't even advertised anything for it, but this is a definite sign.

This is great, I remember reading on IGN that there will be different colors of SP exclusive to different retailers this holiday season. I do wish the price drop would be more than just $20 though.

Meh, this price drop should have happened months ago. I'll just wait for the DS since it has the same flip top design and plays GBA games too.

Maybe, just maybe if target decides to make a sale right before the price drop you can snag a 20% system rain check and get a PS2 x-box or GCN

[quote name='zewone']I just bought a damn Retro SP. Hopefully its not part of the price drop or I'll fell dumber then I already do.[/quote]

Me too :(

[quote name='epobirs']

One thing to remember, according to Nintendo the DS is not a successor to the GBA SP. It's a new High-end category and a new product with the Game Boy name is still due to appear at some future point in the $100 price slot in keeping with the GameBoy formula. What form that future GameBoy will take is unknown but don't expect too low of a DS price price in relation to the GBA SP's new price. There is a yet to be filled hole forming for a product in between those two.[/quote]

I have heard this but...Doesn't it seem odd to everyone if this is really the case? Why does the DS play GBA games then? Will the newer Gameboy play DS games? Should be interesting to see.

I have heard this but...Doesn't it seem odd to everyone if this is really the case? Why does the DS play GBA games then? Will the newer Gameboy play DS games? Should be interesting to see.

No, the GameBoy line is to stay in the traditional boundaries of playing games. It just makes it simpler for someone who wants what both systems offer to only have to tote around the DS. Think about it, if they made a GameBoy that supported the DS, it too would have to be dual-screened and have all the other functions. That would make it the same system.

I think thats more of a safe way to say if the ds bombs it's not the successor, but if the ds triumphs it could be.

Well, it's not likely to bomb, since it has more support from publishers and developers than the PSP. And, it's not an excuse. It's exactly as stated above. The DS is geared towards a different type of gaming. The GBA compatibility is just something logical to make the consumer happy. Could you imagine having to drop $180 on a DS, only to turn around and drop $100 on a new GB (again)? It only makes sense how they have it planned. Cheaper and easier for the consumer = Nintendo sees more success = everybody wins.

[quote name='MorPhiend']

No, the GameBoy line is to stay in the traditional boundaries of playing games. It just makes it simpler for someone who wants what both systems offer to only have to tote around the DS. Think about it, if they made a GameBoy that supported the DS, it too would have to be dual-screened and have all the other functions. That would make it the same system.

I think thats more of a safe way to say if the ds bombs it's not the successor, but if the ds triumphs it could be.

Well, it's not likely to bomb, since it has more support from publishers and developers than the PSP. And, it's not an excuse. It's exactly as stated above. The DS is geared towards a different type of gaming. The GBA compatibility is just something logical to make the consumer happy. Could you imagine having to drop $180 on a DS, only to turn around and drop $100 on a new GB (again)? It only makes sense how they have it planned. Cheaper and easier for the consumer = Nintendo sees more success = everybody wins.[/quote]

I agree with that...it most likely is to make consumers happy but it is weird to think the DS will have these new "different" games and then another system would come out with other newer different games. Although nintendo does do well in the handheld market.

Does anyone know if Fry's has a price gaurantee? I bought a platinum gba sp for $85 on saturday, im willing to bet they will by sub $70 on sale soon.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']Does anyone know if Fry's has a price gaurantee? I bought a platinum gba sp for $85 on saturday, im willing to bet they will by sub $70 on sale soon.[/quote]

I believe they'll meet any price drop within 30 days. Most reputable Big Box chains have such a policy.

Thanks, im sure ill head out there withing the next 3 weeks, just gotta keep my eye out for the flyers and wait for the cheaper price.

I didn't see this posted. Nintendo is officially dropping the price this Thursday September 2nd. No news on the older GBA. In other news, TRU is doing some sort of bundle deal where you get your choice of 1 of 6 games(most likely crappy games), an Intec kit, and the SP for $100.

bread's done
Back