GC Component cable available @ P-A

Holy crap. I want one, but not that bad.

I've seen it widely speculated that whatever cable ships with Wii will also work with Gamecube. And even if not, I guess if Wii has component out and can play Gamecube games that would be good enough for me.

[quote name='ma']Holy crap. I want one, but not that bad.

I've seen it widely speculated that whatever cable ships with Wii will also work with Gamecube. And even if not, I guess if Wii has component out and can play Gamecube games that would be good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

The RCA cable connector has been the same since the SNES, so I can't imagine Nintendo changing that and if it has component out I'd imagine they keep the same standard...

[quote name='Starky27']The RCA cable connector has been the same since the SNES, so I can't imagine Nintendo changing that and if it has component out I'd imagine they keep the same standard...[/QUOTE]

The component output dosen't come from the same connector on the back of the cube. It's a new `digital' connector, that dosen't even exist on recent model GameCubes.

Part of the reason that the cable is expensive is that there's a DAC built into the cable. Nintendo kept the price down by moving some of the hardware out of the box. =)

Yeah, some ebay fuck kept buying them and keeping the item OOS from Nintendo, and they decided not to sell it anymore. I'm wagering a guess that the Wii connector will NOT work on the GC.

[quote name='CaptPete']The component output dosen't come from the same connector on the back of the cube. It's a new `digital' connector, that dosen't even exist on recent model GameCubes.

Part of the reason that the cable is expensive is that there's a DAC built into the cable. Nintendo kept the price down by moving some of the hardware out of the box. =)[/QUOTE]
Understood. I was refering to Nintendo maintaining the same cable standard across their systems, so those that have component cables can use them in the same fashion w/ the Wii as they do the GC...

1. What's DAC?

2. why does a component cable go for more than the system its self? :lol:

[quote name='kroadmeister']well, better snatch this up, the ebay biatches will be on this in a minute.[/quote]

Holy crap... I'm glad I picked one up a few months ago from the Nintendo.com store!

[quote name='monkeypox']I've heard from somewhere (4cr, I think) that if you call nintendo and ask, they may still have some in stock. worth a try.[/QUOTE]

I actually read the same thing, but it was DVDTalk, and this was in Feb. An April post (that references CAG) says they didn't have ANY for sale and to check ebay.

Awesome, thanks OP! I just picked up an HDTV last night and was considering breaking down and going to Ebay for one of these. This saves me a bundle.

I got these from the Nintendo site about a year ago. Had to wait for several months to ship, but totally worth the wait!

[quote name='Apossum']1. What's DAC?

2. why does a component cable go for more than the system its self? :lol:[/QUOTE]

1. Digital to Analog Converter

2. Ha, good question. I'm wondering if its really just people who want to play their cubes in 480p, or are collectors now collecting OOP cables.

If you're in the market for this, you're buying a Wii anyway, so you might as well just get component cables for the Wii, what with it being all backward compatible.

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']did they say if Wii will put out gamecube games at hidef too?[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. I think I would need a definitive answer before I gave up on getting these.

BTW, I can see why ebay guys would buy multiple. The one I was watching went up to $80.

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']did they say if Wii will put out gamecube games at hidef too?[/QUOTE]

both the gamecube (for certain games) and wii output games at 480p, which is not technically high definition - only progressive scan (similar to a dvd player).

supposedly all virtual console games (NES/SNES/N64) will be upscaled/converted to 480p as well, though I'm not sure that's been confirmed.

either way, all gamecube/wii games will both be playable at 480p.

I wish some third party would make these cables on the side for guys like us.

Heck, I'd buy some bootleg version from Hong Kong just to hook up my cube to my new HDTV via component.

I just won't pay 50 bucks for that right now.

The reason why 3rd-party cables are rare/nonexistent is there's a custom DAC in there. DAC stands for Digital-Analog Converter. The digital out port on the original GCs is for the Japanese D-Terminal system, and Nintendo had a special chip made that could convert that signal into YCrCb (Component). The chip is made exclusively for Nintendo by Macronix, they will not sell to anyone else. The GP is correct, the cube doesn't really support component at all, this is an external hack which keeps the cost of the cube down. Europeans got lucky, their cubes don't have S-Video but an RGB cable is like $5 there as it's just wires, no chips.

There is a good reason to buy two of these, also, other than eBay: if you are a soldering god or know one, you can convert them into a VGA Cable! Not a some ugly Redant junk that uses the composite video, true, pure VGA. It's expensive, though!

I am not at all sure these will work with the Wii - Japan loves new tech and I suspect that HDMI will displace D-Terminal in Japan, but I am totally speculating there.

[quote name='Starky27']Understood. I was refering to Nintendo maintaining the same cable standard across their systems, so those that have component cables can use them in the same fashion w/ the Wii as they do the GC...[/QUOTE]

I am doubtful that it will still work only for the fact that the component cable needs another cable for sound, while if you look at the back of a Wii, there is only room for one cable. Makes me think if they are using a component cable which is pretty much def, it will combine the audio and video cables or I guess they could change the back of the system.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I am doubtful that it will still work only for the fact that the component cable needs another cable for sound, while if you look at the back of a Wii, there is only room for one cable. Makes me think if they are using a component cable which is pretty much def, it will combine the audio and video cables or I guess they could change the back of the system.[/QUOTE]

I agree - look at the PS3. It's been as good as confirmed that they are going with the same PlayStation AV for analog and HDMI for digital. This suggests that Nintendo, if they support digital at all, will have HDMI. And if they don't, it will probably mean analog AV out, and another expensive component cable doing the conversion. RGB->Component isn't voodoo though, so 3rd parties could make them.

[quote name='brianmoy']Currently OOS. Well, I couldn't afford the price anyways.[/QUOTE]

I hesitated too - expensive but now I am thinking I should have at least got one to make a VGA cable with :/

I'm still kicking myself for not ordering these from Nintendo when I had the chance. But I'd rather pay $20 more than I would have paid than pay $50-$70 more than I would have paid by buying them on EBay.

Thanks OP!

bread's done
Back