GCN/Revolution E3 Game Announcement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oooooh color!
revo_8l.jpg

I think I would get the red or the lime one if they do release them in a lot of colors. I am completely tired of seeing black and silver

So that shadow like color change isn't a shadow? That doesn't look so good to me. If it was all black, white, or whatever, then it'd look better to me.

[quote name='Alpha2']oooooh color!
revo_8l.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was wondering if those will all be launch colors, or if that is part of what he (Iwata) meant when he said that he wanted the press and their readers to give them feedback on the design. In other words, maybe those are concept colors?

I like the black the best even though Black and blue have the PS2 feeling. Silver is nice too, since its like the Panasonic Q colors. I actually like them all except for the green, the blue light doesn't go with it. I personally would want a dark blue one. Its gonna be hard to pick if they have all those colors come launch time.Though I'll probably be going to go for having my Rev and PS3 be the same color.

After seeing those pics on NoJ's site, I'm dying to see the Rev controller now. I'm hoping they have a standard one and then their Revolutionary one for all their unique games. I wouldn't see anything wrong with a Wavebird 2 as their standard controller, just make it rechargable, give it a nice color and shrink down the receiver portion. Adding another button to parallel the Z button would be perfect too, that way the control schemes won't effected with multi-console games. And if they want the Rev to have some edge over the PS3/X360 versions, how bout a screen on the controller to give us a little something extra? One of the best little things of the DC was having little animations on your controller. Come on Nintendo, you can do it.

Aslo, just wanted to point out since the Rev has GC controller ports, I have high hopes of more Bongo support. Lets some Jungle Beat sequels rolling out.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So that shadow like color change isn't a shadow? That doesn't look so good to me. If it was all black, white, or whatever, then it'd look better to me.[/QUOTE]:?

I'm not dissapointed or impressed with the Revolution at this point. It's definitely the best looking console, but it's too mysterious right now to get me that impressed. This whole "download Nintendo's history" thing could turn out to be nothing more than a glorified ique(and only 1 in 3 people here, even know what that is). It could also turn out awesome if the price is right and they put some mods in. That could potentially put your Revolution/DS combo as the only Nintendo consoles you need to own to play the whole backlog. More levels for Mario 1? Environment mods in Earthbound? Online sounds good, and we already knew about the BC, but what about the games and the graphics. I think they were way too vague on the graphics issue. It would have been nice if they had at least one game to show off so we could get some sort of visible idea of what the graphics will/might look like.

If Nintendo doesn't deliver, I can't say i'm too interested in this next generation. Xbox360 seems to be following the stigma of "trying to be a PC" that was always used to criticize the original Xbox. PS3's lineup, so far, looks like what we'd expect if we tacked another year or so onto the PS2, but with much better graphics. Meanwhile, Nintendo is drifting further into la-la land, almost completely ignoring the competition and giving them a huge lead. I also must say that I was dissapointed with the showings for PSP and DS. Almost no new announcements for either handheld, which is especially disheartening for the DS, because it's success is very dependent on fresh ideas.

Oh well, i'm still highly anticipating Zelda TP.

I'd prefer to see blue and purple over puke-green and red. If those did happen to be the final colors I'd go w/ the white one.

OK, so I read through *every* post on the 25 or so pages since we were talking HD support and I see very little about it now (except for one or two people saying they don't mind not having it). I'm guessing that Nintendo didn't really address it either way (which is probably not a good sign for those of us who think it is critical). I hope *at least* that they support progressive scan and widescreen as in the GC (PS support is fairly common, WS support has been minimal but nice when available). I'm fine with the Revolution being a marginal improvement over the GC, but dropping support for 480p and WS would be a shaq-fuing *downgrade*, unless they manage to go all photo-realistic at normal TV resolution to mask the scan lines. (And yes, I know they dropped it in the more recent Gamecubes, but they still support it in newer games like Starfox Assault).

I would be thrilled if I could get Mario Sunshine or Metroid Prime-like graphics at 1080i. There wouldn't need to be a ton of improvement to do so - just (roughly) a 4X improvement in resolution - poly count and all the rest could stay the same. However, this approach would be impractical because it wouldn't really change the experience for non-HDTV viewers. Since they will be increasing the normal graphics capabilites (poly count, shading, effects, etc) it might be too much for the marginally imrpoved graphics engine ALSO to scale that up to higher resolution. But PLEASE, Nintendo, support component video and PS/WS!

Could this be the beginning of Nintendo reflecting in their consoles what they have been doing with the Gameboy?? i.e. the beginning of generational shrinkage of the hardware with minimal technology increase ala the Gameboy Advance --> SP --> Micro??
I'm envisioning Gamecube --> Revolution --> Portable Revolution to combat PSP with Nintendo milking their franchises for profit with little to no 3rd party support....again.

I really see Nintendo's market share becoming even smaller this generation with the XBOX making real inroads in design and developer support in Japan.

[quote name='jkam']What does everyone REALLY want out of a Nintendo console? The more and more I read the more I really don't understand. I right now have a Gamcube and a PS2. I have both because both offer great franchises and what can't be satisfied on one console I can get on the other.

I think even though not groundbreaking Nintendo is doing something right by adding online play and backwards compatibility. The also added DVD playback which doesn't really make a difference but it shows they are listening to the gamer a bit more now.

Does everyone really want them to just duke it out with Sony? I see Microsoft shooting for holy grail of gaming top dog and it looks like it will take them quite awhile to "beat out" the competetion if they ever do for that matter. I still see the XBOX as 1. a console modder's wet dream and 2. a system that lacks Great franchises besides HALO. I don't care for FPS's so the XBOX never really appealed to me. People buy an XBOX and then trick it out so it can play MAME games, old Nintendo games, so on and so forth. I realize there are a lot of other good games and good 3rd party support but I still feel that I can get almost all the games I need on the other 2 systems.

While Sony builds up their intense high def system I will still be playing the games on a regular non-HD TV. While it is obvious that techies love this stuff it doesn't mean too much for me as off right now. I realize prices will come down and it will be the standard later on but it wouldn't sway me one way or the other when buying a console.

I love beautiful graphics and I'm sure I will be drooling over the PS3 when it comes out. The truth however is I will still love Nintendo for their games and their unique-ness. If Zelda had more shading would the game be that much better? So now my question to everyone is WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT FROM A NINTENDO CONSOLE???[/QUOTE]

I'd just like better 3rd party support so that I don't have to buy a PlayStation to keep myself occupied while waiting for something good to come out on my Nintendo console. Aside from that, I'm happy with everything that was revealed about Revolution. I really don't care how much more powerful PS3 and 360 supposedly are.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I'm digging the red, and the white.[/QUOTE]

Me too. It'd go well with the tons of STL Cardinals stuff I have all over the place.

[quote name='io']OK, so I read through *every* post on the 25 or so pages since we were talking HD support and I see very little about it now (except for one or two people saying they don't mind not having it). I'm guessing that Nintendo didn't really address it either way (which is probably not a good sign for those of us who think it is critical). I hope *at least* that they support progressive scan and widescreen as in the GC (PS support is fairly common, WS support has been minimal but nice when available). I'm fine with the Revolution being a marginal improvement over the GC, but dropping support for 480p and WS would be a shaq-fuing *downgrade*, unless they manage to go all photo-realistic at normal TV resolution to mask the scan lines. (And yes, I know they dropped it in the more recent Gamecubes, but they still support it in newer games like Starfox Assault).

I would be thrilled if I could get Mario Sunshine or Metroid Prime-like graphics at 1080i. There wouldn't need to be a ton of improvement to do so - just (roughly) a 4X improvement in resolution - poly count and all the rest could stay the same. However, this approach would be impractical because it wouldn't really change the experience for non-HDTV viewers. Since they will be increasing the normal graphics capabilites (poly count, shading, effects, etc) it might be too much for the marginally imrpoved graphics engine ALSO to scale that up to higher resolution. But PLEASE, Nintendo, support component video and PS/WS![/QUOTE]

With the limited information on the Revo, I'm already sold. I really like my GC and the Revo seems to be taking the same tack with the addition of free online play (finally!). But that being said, Nintendo needs to have support for HD sets. IGN reported recently (before E3) that Nintendo stated the Revo would support HD. Then Nintendo says nothing about it at E3. I need to scour the site again and see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is http://cube.ign.com/articles/613/613340p1.html

[quote name='David85']What ever happened to Mario 128?[/QUOTE]

Shhh.

*whisper* I think they want us to forget about it, considering they haven't shown anything in two years *whisper*

[quote name='basketkase543']Shhh.

*whisper* I think they want us to forget about it consiering they haven't shown anything in two years *whisper*[/QUOTE]

I smell Revolution launch game. Nintendo needs to launch with a Mario!

[quote name='the3rdkey']I smell Revolution launch game. Nintendo needs to launch with a Mario![/QUOTE]

That was one thing they actually realized over the last couple of years. I recall interviews with Reggie and Perrin Kaplan that said something on the order of "we learned our lesson: don't launch without mario"

Smash Bros coupled with a Mario would be an excellent way to get a foothold.

[quote name='WildWop']That was one thing they actually realized over the last couple of years. I recall interviews with Reggie and Perrin Kaplan that said something on the order of "we learned our lesson: don't launch without mario"

Smash Bros coupled with a Mario would be an excellent way to get a foothold.[/QUOTE]

bring back pack in games and put mario 128 with the revolution. they'll need that to make up ground for being the last system out.

[quote name='maxflight']bring back pack in games and put mario 128 with the revolution. they'll need that to make up ground for being the last system out.[/QUOTE]

They may not be the last system out. PS3 is scheduled for Spring 2006 which is around the same time that Revo is expected.

By the way, anyone else feel mildly impressed with what they've done to the Advance Wars on GCN (Battalion Wars now)? I went from completely apathetic to mildly interested by way of the video they showed yesterday at the press conference.

[quote name='puddytay']I don't understand how you could store these download games.....

Average nes game is around 300kb..... So thats fine
Average Snes game 300kb-3 megs... Getting bigger
Average N64 game.. 10 megs-50 megs... Thats pretty large.... I wonder how they would work that.......

I'm all about paying to download games, but only if I can keep them.... Maybe the system burns discs.... I'm hoping they sell collection discs... Nintendo could fit all of there n64 games on 1 dvd... All of their snes and nes games on 1 dvd....
I wonder if we can get gameboy games....

What think is so cool about revolution is I think we will learn you can make your own games on it.... Probably not 3-d, but I think their going to have a 2-d video game maker...

This system is going to do something drastically different from the others... I'm curious what it is....

I see this retailing for 149.99 or maybe even 99.99.... With the downloadable games they can make money back on the system.....

I honestly think this is so small because their going to have a option goggle headset you can buy...[/QUOTE]

We already have a platform that lets you make your own games. It's called a PC. You don't even need to be much of a programmer to do stuff in Flash or Shockwave. Even less for a package like Gamemaker.

The largest N64 title is Resident Evil II at 64 MB. I don't know about you but downloading 64 MB on my DSL line is trivial. Well under ten minutes typically. As that level of broadband offer wider availablility and lower cost there are new offerings just starting to roll out. Verizon and SBC are both pushing fiber a lot deeper into neighborhoods. If you're one of those lucky residents the Verizon FIOS service can deliver 15 Mbps speed for all of $40 a month. That RE2 game would come across in a bit under a minute. If Nintendo were to colocate their servers within a big provider's network this would avoid crossing the open internet and speed thing up considerably. This can already be seen with a lot of big sites like Apple's movie trailers.

One of the few specifications offered for the Revolution was 512MB of onboard flash memory. That will hold a lot of old games, especially if they're offered in all you can eat fashion and there is no penalty beyond inconvenience for erasing one to make room. There will also be memory cards. If they allow us to use a standard like SD you could add a gigabyte of storage for around $60.

I've downloaded plenty of ISO files representing the content of entire CDs in the space of just a few hours. So a service offering PS1 games to PS3 buyers would be on the slow side but still a viable little business. Under a service like FIOS even an entire CD would be accessable in under 20 minutes. So expect to see a lot of this sort of thing in the future.

Not to mention that they could deliver games in a compressed format to speed performance while downloading. Since we're talking about a proprietary system anyway, it seems plausible that they could shrink an N64 game down to 1/2 or 1/3 size and have it automatically decompressed once the download completes.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I have a suspicion the PS3 will have controller ports on it too. When you put the PS3 side by side a PS2 (horizontally), it makes me wonder if you can slide over the left side to reveal controller ports/memory card slots. It would make sense and make me very pleased.[/QUOTE]

All of the views shown didn't appear to leave any legacy ports in evidence. There was a row of USB ports along the bottom front, on the base. Under the pop-up door next to the drive slot there were the SD, CRF and Memeory Stick slots. In back was more USB, Ethernet, and AV ports. I strongly suspect support for legacy controllers and memory cards will come via an optional USB device. This saves some space and cost.

Down the road, when they're re-engineering to reduce costs more I predict the second HDMI port will be removed. It makes for great demos but it seems very unlikely there will be a enough dual HDTV owners to make it worth having in the long term. It will go the way of the PS1 Serial Link port and the PS2's i-Link/1394 port.

[quote name='jkam']WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT FROM A NINTENDO CONSOLE???[/QUOTE]
I don't want them to make any consoles besides portables. They should pull a Sega and become a 3rd party videogame maker. God knows it would save me money from having to buy a fucking revolution just to play the new Zelda (the only Nintendo games I truly enjoy). Seeing them make new home consoles just pisses me off.

[quote name='epobirs']All of the views shown didn't appear to leave any legacy ports in evidence. There was a row of USB ports along the bottom front, on the base. Under the pop-up door next to the drive slot there were the SD, CRF and Memeory Stick slots. In back was more USB, Ethernet, and AV ports. I strongly suspect support for legacy controllers and memory cards will come via an optional USB device. This saves some space and cost.

Down the road, when they're re-engineering to reduce costs more I predict the second HDMI port will be removed. It makes for great demos but it seems very unlikely there will be a enough dual HDTV owners to make it worth having in the long term. It will go the way of the PS1 Serial Link port and the PS2's i-Link/1394 port.[/QUOTE]

They stated in the Sony conferance that it would have built in ports for Memstic and memory cards, non of the pictures show them so I have to suspect they're hodden beneath the front cover to the left of the drive.

As for the Revo, I agree I want to see GAMES not spend money on a system for games I already have. Mario 128 was originally just a tech demo and had no actual game associated with it. Supposedly Miyamoto was working on something "better" than the demo so I guess we'll have to wait for it but they need to show SOMEthing game wise before this week is over.

[quote name='zewone']I don't want them to make any consoles besides portables. They should pull a Sega and become a 3rd party videogame maker. God knows it would save me money from having to buy a fucking revolution just to play the new Zelda (the only Nintendo games I truly enjoy). Seeing them make new home consoles just pisses me off.[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree. I hope Nintendo can carve out it's own sustainable market share and not really worry too much about what Sony and Microsoft are doing. To me, the Xbox and PS2 are really the same thing. There's nothing that I see on Microsoft's console that I can't play elsewhere that I have to have. Halo is great but it's really all they've got as far as a system seller goes... Nintendo has a ton of quirky games that are just fun to play. If you only like Zelda then I really don't know what to say - there's a lot you are missing out on, IMO. I recently picked up Pikmin 2 and it's a perfect example of a great game that you just don't see on other the consoles. I'll always own the newest Nintendo console because I know what I'm getting with it. It's Sony and Microsoft that are going to have to compete for my money each generation... and based on this generation, the PS3 is looking like the right purchase for me...

Yeah, Pikmin is fun, I'll give you that, but I still find it hard to tell myself to buy this new console. I mean, I bought a Gamecube fairly early in its life span and have in total bought 6 games for it. :oops: Kid games just don't appeal too much to me, nor do gimmick games such as Donkey Konga and what not.

[quote name='zewone']:oops: Kid games just don't appeal too much to me, nor do gimmick games such as Donkey Konga and what not.[/QUOTE]

Tsk tsk tsk.

Well, you'll have your fair share of War FPSs, Zombie FPSs, Sports games, and Baditude at this years E3 to keep you happy. I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, has anybody noticed the rediculous amount of Zombie games for the next gen systems? It's ridiculous!

i want to see more innovation on the revolution, even if that means lots of failures.

i'm tired of games where you go from point A to point B, or you have guns and kill people to win at stuff... these games are ultimately stupid. Yeah, I love them, i got the handcannon in RE4, but really at the end of the day, it's the same old shit.

and if it has to be the same old shit, put a new spin on it (pikmin as an rts for example).

prince of persia, ninja gaiden, devil may cry? blah blah same old shit.

Was metroid prime same old shit? not really, it was pretty innovative.

i realize that i like turn based rpgs or tactical rpgs, and i hope someone makes an innovative one (I'm excited for Fire Emblem). Wario Ware Inc was a fucking fun game, where is all this shit on the xbox and ps2?

When I'm 12 again, i'll buy a ps2 or xbox. Shit...

[quote name='pumbaa']IF (and this is a big if...) this is about all there is to the new Revolution... price and cost are going to be VITAL. Price of the hardware/software is giong to allow Nintendo to undersell the competition and make the Revolution the definitive "2nd console". Cost of game production is something that they seemed to push as well... again... maybe smaller, newer, and younger developers will flock to this console is the costs are low enough that they want their unknown products to get some retail space and attention (a game like Alien Hominid comes to mind).[/QUOTE]

Recall how Alien Hominid started though. They went to a platform with immense installed base, minimal cost for tools, and no requirement to pass anyone's authorization or pay royalties. This was Flash. It could have been Shockwave or just a plain old PC game in C but the important part was that documentation was freely available and the tools cheap with the only barrier to distribution the cost of hosting the web site.

Console development is no place for amateurs. The console makers won't even sell you a dev kit until you jump through a few hoops to demonstrate you're worthiness. It isn't just the money. They don't want the ongoing support investment for people who may not be productive. Having some demonstrable completed projects is the most important thing a prospective developer can do and the easiest way to do that by far is the shareware and freeware realm on the PC. Even then, this may not get you accepted as a developer. More likely you'll need to hire on at an established company a see a project there through to completion.

There is nothing stopping the developers you describe from doing projects on the cheap for the more powerful platforms. They just won't be using much of the system, similar to how most launch titles for PS2 were just enhanced PS1 games. They didn't know how to properly use the PS2 yet but could still treat it as a high powered PS1 to make those games look better. Between backward compatibility and budget titles no platform is going to have an advantage in drawing developers that matters more than sheer number of machines sold.

[quote name='Alpha2']They stated in the Sony conferance that it would have built in ports for Memstic and memory cards, non of the pictures show them so I have to suspect they're hodden beneath the front cover to the left of the drive.

As for the Revo, I agree I want to see GAMES not spend money on a system for games I already have. Mario 128 was originally just a tech demo and had no actual game associated with it. Supposedly Miyamoto was working on something "better" than the demo so I guess we'll have to wait for it but they need to show SOMEthing game wise before this week is over.[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned, there is a Sony media kit photo showing the door open and all that is visible is flash card slots. It looks very much like what you might see on a recently produced PC. None of the site I've checked have the photo now but it was out there.

Cutting some cost on what is going to be a very pricey machine is important. Putting some of the burden for legacy support on users wouldn't be surprising. This is only the first Sony machine to support more than two controllers out of the box without an extra purchase. I think a USB adapter is pretty likely. A Bluetooth to allow wirelesss use of existing dance pads and such is very likely and guaranteed from third parties if Sony doesn't bother. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was working on it right now.

I wonder if Nintendo (or a third party) will release wireless N64, SNES, and NES controllers for playing oldschool games on Rev. It'd be nice to have the actual controllers, and without wires and ports, I would think it would be easy(er).

[quote name='evilmax17']I wonder if Nintendo (or a third party) will release wireless N64, SNES, and NES controllers for playing oldschool games on Rev. It'd be nice to have the actual controllers, and without wires and ports, I would think it would be easy(er).[/QUOTE]

This is probably where the "Revolution" comes in with a moddable controller or something...

[quote name='evilmax17']I wonder if Nintendo (or a third party) will release wireless N64, SNES, and NES controllers for playing oldschool games on Rev. It'd be nice to have the actual controllers, and without wires and ports, I would think it would be easy(er).[/QUOTE]

I think it would be interesting to see the GBA Micro used as an old school NES controller, since they have the same shape and about the same dimensions. GCN already has GBA connectivity.

I would still think the GBAM was crap but it would at least make it somewhat useful.

[quote name='jam3582']ok ok ok wait a minute let me get this straight your saying that the kill zone 2 demo looked like a pc game ? plz let me know which one sure isnt doom 3 or Half Life 2 and those are the top games right now , and the only other game that comes to mind is unreal 2007 and gear of war and thats slated for next gen systems also. now if the killzone 2 video was actual in-game footage ( still skeptical ) there is no pc game that looks like that ,it looks like a rendered cut scene . Now I dunno about you but the best looking game i have seen on xbox was splinter cell 3 and that cannot compete with Half life 2 or Doom 3 sorry. Not trying to start in argument but I think that comment was a little naive .

BAck to topic , wish they did show something on the revolution controller . Let me ask this question is every one impressed by the fact that you could download old nintendo games , do u think this would be a main selling point for the system that would actually sell more revo ? Im 50/50 on that one. Ofcourse ill still get it why not right I mean hello who cares if its not as powerful as the other 2 . your buying it cause you know your gonna get alot of first party software that will not dissapoint you. shit thats why I bought the Gamecube , first party software is sex-cellent. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it was prerendered...

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140675

PS3 Videos Possibly Pre-rendered
Controversy erupts over Sony press conference.
by Garnett Lee, 05/18/2005 19 of 24 users recommended this story.
The past 24 hours have been an emotional roller coaster ride for game fans anxiously waiting the PS3. At its press conference Sony thrilled the crowd with videos that definitely said "next generation". To an audience eagerly hoping to be blown away it was like a nuclear bomb went off and they ate it up. It was a powerful shot across the bow of the other contenders in the escalating console wars, but was it real?

Before sunrise today a spark of doubt was smoldering. It caught fire by the end of the day. In the midst of the storm brewing this morning a poster identifying himself as Epic's Mark Rein posted to the Voodooextreme forums talking about the videos seen at the conference. While he did preface his comments saying that everything he saw looked perfectly achievable, he clearly said that he had seen the three or four times during rehearsals and only Sony first-party, Epic and EA demos were running in real-time on the PS3.

Of course that meant that the darling of the presentation, Killzone 2, was CG. It also meant that the hardware might not be light-years beyond the competition. After all, that left the Unreal tech demo as the best looking game running real time; more or less the same as the very Gears of War Microsoft used to show off the Xbox 360. That kicked off a cascade of people reviewing what they'd seen with a more critical eye. The consensus coming out is that the scenes are in fact pre-rendered material. Some of the signs that point to that are the extreme particle effects and tightly choreographed shots. On the other hand, our own John Davidson has it direct from Sony contacts that "just about all of it" was "real". As our friend Fox used to be prone to saying, "the truth is out there." What we're wondering is how much it really matters at this point. Hardware is still a long way off and developers will be making the usual enormous strides in quality over the final few months -- Sony, Microsoft and when the time comes Nintendo. For now the one thing certain is they served their purpose. Sony has put the contenders on notice; it isn't coming to this generation resting on its laurels.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Sorry, it was prerendered...

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140675

PS3 Videos Possibly Pre-rendered
Controversy erupts over Sony press conference.
by Garnett Lee, 05/18/2005 19 of 24 users recommended this story.
The past 24 hours have been an emotional roller coaster ride for game fans anxiously waiting the PS3. At its press conference Sony thrilled the crowd with videos that definitely said "next generation". To an audience eagerly hoping to be blown away it was like a nuclear bomb went off and they ate it up. It was a powerful shot across the bow of the other contenders in the escalating console wars, but was it real?

Before sunrise today a spark of doubt was smoldering. It caught fire by the end of the day. In the midst of the storm brewing this morning a poster identifying himself as Epic's Mark Rein posted to the Voodooextreme forums talking about the videos seen at the conference. While he did preface his comments saying that everything he saw looked perfectly achievable, he clearly said that he had seen the three or four times during rehearsals and only Sony first-party, Epic and EA demos were running in real-time on the PS3.

Of course that meant that the darling of the presentation, Killzone 2, was CG. It also meant that the hardware might not be light-years beyond the competition. After all, that left the Unreal tech demo as the best looking game running real time; more or less the same as the very Gears of War Microsoft used to show off the Xbox 360. That kicked off a cascade of people reviewing what they'd seen with a more critical eye. The consensus coming out is that the scenes are in fact pre-rendered material. Some of the signs that point to that are the extreme particle effects and tightly choreographed shots. On the other hand, our own John Davidson has it direct from Sony contacts that "just about all of it" was "real". As our friend Fox used to be prone to saying, "the truth is out there." What we're wondering is how much it really matters at this point. Hardware is still a long way off and developers will be making the usual enormous strides in quality over the final few months -- Sony, Microsoft and when the time comes Nintendo. For now the one thing certain is they served their purpose. Sony has put the contenders on notice; it isn't coming to this generation resting on its laurels.[/QUOTE]

Not a big surprise. The PS2 was going to easily produce Toy Story-esque graphics. As usual, I will reserve judgement until I actually play it.

[quote name='javeryh']Not a big surprise. The PS2 was going to easily produce Toy Story-esque graphics. As usual, I will reserve judgement until I actually play it.[/QUOTE]
Time will tell, but I believe that the PS3 pwns XBOX360

I hope the All-Access Gaming isn't Nintendo's main selling point. Let's make up a theoretical view of the market:

Who would want to pay to play NES, SNES N64 etc. games? The people who grew up with them, which would probably be the 18-24 demographic. The younger demographic would be more concerned with newer (more violent :p ) releases in addition to the whatever the next-gen Pokemon will be. The older folk would sway toward the more mainstream/ big budget/ extremely hyped releases that would maximize their playing time.

The 18-24 demographic are primarily college age individuals in dorms or similar as pumbaa mentioned. However, (judging by my college with Xbox Live) would console access to All-Access be allowed? If not, then a subscription based service would fail. If the content could be saved with a one-time fee, then this would be a non-issue. Point is, if Nintendo is putting their eggs into one retro-basket, then this could be a disaster. If the demographic Nintendo is aiming for has no access to their content, then things could go south real soon.
Of course, CAGs would defy any trends in favor for cheapass deals. It will be interesting to see what ace, if any, Nintendo has left up its sleeve.

Oh yeah. :lol: at Zelda TP.

The only thing I can think of is if the games are streamed downloads. 300k to play Super Mario 3 is nothing. 64mb to play RE is a hell of a lot more painfull but only if you're on dialup but frankly I see people tossing in the bargin bin copy they got for their PS for 5 bucks first... which when it comes down to it is the main issue I have with this service.

Assuming it's a free service to D/L NES and SNES games thats no big deal, Yahoo.games are roughly the same size 200k to 4mb and people play that stuff all the time... granted they get spamed to the teeth with banner adds but lets assume Nintendo would rather not hack up your screen to show them and plays you a quick commercial for the next Superman movie or something while your game loads like Gamespot likes to do. This is nice for the few hits you get on those old games.... later on though for things like N64 games and the 'Cube there's a better chance people will skip the cube games since they;re big big games and you can already play them if you just go out and buy them (which I'm sure nintendo would prefer) and N64 games are usually better on PS or if they arnt on PS it's easy to run out to TRU and buy them for 5 bucks usually. A nice little offering but it's still very little. A side of fries rather than the Big Mac itself.

Over all it just feels very risky, I can see them using the Ad+Download method but is it really profitable? will enough people care about these old games for it to matter or will they just move on to the new stuff? I dont know many casual gamers that would sit around for very long just to play duck hunt when they could be playing TimeCrisis which actually has a couple of duckhunt style games in it.

[quote name='magilacudy']I hope the All-Access Gaming isn't Nintendo's main selling point. Let's make up a theoretical view of the market:

Who would want to pay to play NES, SNES N64 etc. games? The people who grew up with them, which would probably be the 18-24 demographic. The younger demographic would be more concerned with newer (more violent :p ) releases in addition to the whatever the next-gen Pokemon will be. The older folk would sway toward the more mainstream/ big budget/ extremely hyped releases that would maximize their playing time.

The 18-24 demographic are primarily college age individuals in dorms or similar as pumbaa mentioned. However, (judging by my college with Xbox Live) would console access to All-Access be allowed? If not, then a subscription based service would fail. If the content could be saved with a one-time fee, then this would be a non-issue. Point is, if Nintendo is putting their eggs into one retro-basket, then this could be a disaster. If the demographic Nintendo is aiming for has no access to their content, then things could go south real soon.
Of course, CAGs would defy any trends in favor for cheapass deals. It will be interesting to see what ace, if any, Nintendo has left up its sleeve.

Oh yeah. :lol: at Zelda TP.[/QUOTE]

I can connect to Live fine... just gotta register the MAC address with the IT dept. You should make some noise about it on your campus... I'm sure theres more than one gamer pissed off about no Xbox Live.

ALSO... if we are basing success on CAG's participation in respective threads... the Revolution is winning by far. At the very least Nintendo has added some gas to the hype fire... impressive for not showing any footage at all.

I wouldnt call the number of posts an indicator of how well the Revo is doing. Even if the PS3 stuff was rendered they atleast tried to show us something new, Nintendo's shown use nothing but the backwards compatable black box full of games we've already played 15 to 20 years ago.

When did it mention playing downloadable Cube games?

When that part of the video showed it only showed the NES, Snes, and N64.

No downloadable cube games were shown.

If you are talking about it playing all teh games to current gen then yes the system plays the cube disks but I honestly do not recall downloadable cube games being mentioned.

[quote name='WildWop']Not to mention that they could deliver games in a compressed format to speed performance while downloading. Since we're talking about a proprietary system anyway, it seems plausible that they could shrink an N64 game down to 1/2 or 1/3 size and have it automatically decompressed once the download completes.[/QUOTE]

These by and large are already as compressed as they're going to get. The severe memory restrictions of ROM chips have always meants that every available technique was applied to making the data storage more efficient. This is how we got RPGs with the same monster shown five times with different colors to designate its level of power. RE2 on the N64 used an early version of MPEG-4 to squeeze in FMV sequences that occupied many times more CD space as M-JPEG on the PS1.

If you've ever wondered at some of the awkward translations of RPG text, not all of it was due to poor language skills. A lot of it was due to technical limitations. All of the text in the Japanese version would have a number assigned to each unique pictograph and stored in a sort of dictionary. Having a full Japanese vocabulary runs into thousands of different characters. Keeping that to the lowest possible power of 2 helps save memory usage. Say the text of the game uses about 900 different words. This along with any punctuation and other special characters fits within 1024, so you only need 10 bits for every word in the game's dictionary. A line of text consists of a series of 10-bit numbers.

Now comes the English translation. We save a little memory immediately because we need far fewer characters, as few as 64 in some old games that didn't even offer lower case. Thats only 6 bits per character. OTOH, the words are made up of multiple characters, meaning that recovered memory is taken away again. We know we're going to see a lot of the same wrods used over and over so the dictionary approach lets us economize English, too. Rather than spell out each word in the game code we assing each word a number and use a string of number and a lookup system for making that into text onscreen.

If our English language version needs to be the same size cart as the Japanese original, we may find that we have to simplify the text to keep it from being to wordy in translation. This is one of the reason so many RPGs were never translated. IT could be a real pain in the ass job.

If we wanted to offer older CD-ROM games for download, there is a lot that could be done. This requires access to the original source and raw data files but it isn't especially hard. As I mentioned above, the codecs used on early CD games were horribly inefficient by today's standards and produced badly compromised image quality. If the original work was done with good standards and well documented it wouldn't be a major hack to substitute the native hardware accellerated codec of the host platform and use the full quality precompressed versions of the FMV to produce new files. Likewise, most audio was done in umcompressed Red Book. There are some PS1 games where the Red Book audio comprises half to two-thirds of the disc space used. A modern audio codec at full quality can reduce that by at least a factor of five.

So imagine a big game like FFVII. Takes up three CDs but about 80% of that is FMV and streaming music files. (The game code and gameplay data are replicated across all three discs so players can boot from the next discs after finishing the one before and not need to reference that disc again.) Convert the FMVs at full quality to MPEG-4 and likewise compress the audio tracks. The result is a game with better FMV that takes up less than a single CD equivalent of space. Downloadable in just three or four hours. Most PS1 games are much smaller to begin with and could shrink even further. Quite a lot of them are smalle enough to not be worth the trouble of altering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back