GDC: Nintendo announces DLC for Wii, new Pay-for-Play system

ma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Nintendo announces DLC for Wii

[quote name='Game|Life']SAN FRANCISCO -- Wii games will soon be able to download add-on content, said Nintendo project leader Takashi Aoyama at Game Developers Conference.

DLC has been a big part of Microsoft's and Sony's online business, but Nintendo has thus far not allowed games to have downloadable add-on content on Wii. For example, the Wii version of Guitar Hero 3 doesn't currently let you download new songs.

But at his address at GDC this morning, Aoyama said that Nintendo will, in the near future, allow Wii owners to use Wii Points (purchased with a credit card transaction online or on cards in stores) to buy add-on content for games. He said that add-on contents would also be available for disc-based games as well as WiiWare downloadable titles.

The add-on contents for disc games would be purchased within the game, Aoyama said.[/quote]

Nintendo announces Pay-for-Play

[quote name='Game|Life']SAN FRANCISCO -- Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection service has always been entirely free of charge, but the company will soon introduce a pay-to-play service for some games, it announced at Game Developers Conference.

"Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay And Play" will let users subscribe on a game-by-game basis to certain titles. Nintendo project leader Takashi Aoyama announced the service at GDC, but did not say what upcoming games would require payment for the service, or how much they would cost.

To avoid customer confusion, Pay-And-Play games will have a red icon on the game's box that reads Pay And Play, in place of the traditional blue Wi-Fi Connection icon, which will only be used for games that are free to play.

This is a pretty big change for Nintendo, who has always been adamant about wanting online gameplay to be free. While this might attract more developers to the service with a new revenue stream, it also might confuse consumers -- and be a hassle if the payment system isn't easy. You'll use Wii Points to pay for the online gaming, so it should be interesting to see if this extends to the DS Lite or if it's just restricted to Wii.[/quote]

Discuss.

the part about DL content looks pretty sweet. I never played the wi fi so i really dont care less, i assume it is great for games like pokemon and so forth?

Nintendo's Takashi Aoyama Talks WiiWare

[quote name='Game|Life']Aoyama then addressed how Nintendo is dealing with a hot topic: Storage limitations.

They'll compress the games and then expand them when you start playing them. "This step should help alleviate the problem with size limitations."[/quote]

I hope this isn't all they're doing. SD card and USB storage solutions, please!

[quote name='blackbird3216']great. This better mean the end of friend codes[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. I think WFC will continue unchanged, and that this is for MMO-type games like Maple Story, maybe Animal Crossing, etc.

We will see.

Hopefully they revamp the WiFi because I can't imagine paying for such pitiful online play. If not, then here is to hoping Ninty themselves doesn't adopt this pay-to-play for any of their first party titles!

Pay and Play? Ugh. Such a terrible online service is not worth my money. I don't mind that friend code bullshit for free, and I think it's a fine effort, to be honest, but charging for it?

I honestly would not mind some multi-port adapter for storage, 2gb sticks x 5... not a big issue. Or maybe external HD support. Not that big of a deal.

and it isn't on smash, so I'm not worried. If it's on Mario Kart, oh well. It will probably stay with the medal of honor type games.

[quote name='Rocko']Pay and Play? Ugh. Such a terrible online service is not worth my money. I don't mind that friend code bullshit for free, and I think it's a fine effort, to be honest, but charging for it?[/QUOTE]

Alright, let's not have a NeoGAF meltdown here. This is the Game Developer's Conference--I think they are announcing a way for other developers to do things that were not previously possible, like provide DLC, and charge for online to allow for MMOs.

Nintendo WFC isn't going away. Brawl and Mario Kart will still have the same crappy, but free, online we all love to hate.

For a MMO fine ill chalk up some cash but as far as just for online payments just to go online meh I have Xbox Live for that im not paying two subscription prices. DLC would be nice just hope the utilize it. It would be nice if all platforms released DLC all the time

[quote name='ma']Alright, let's not have a NeoGAF meltdown here. This is the Game Developer's Conference--I think they are announcing a way for other developers to do things that were not previously possible, like provide DLC, and charge for online to allow for MMOs.

Nintendo WFC isn't going away. Brawl and Mario Kart will still have the same crappy, but free, online we all love to hate.[/quote]

I completely agree. Though I wouldn't mind paying for an alternate system which provided some of the same features that XBL has - voice chat and a unified friends list being the obvious features.

Maybe they'll rock it "nintendo-style" and require you to pay for an adapter to hook into the USB slot on the back, that will "allow" you to pay for their crappy WiFi service. They can even go one more, and make it so you have to buy a DS to be able to get your secure encrypted WiFi key.

Thats the Nintendo we all know and love.

[quote name='help1']Hopefully they revamp the WiFi because I can't imagine paying for such pitiful online play. If not, then here is to hoping Ninty themselves doesn't adopt this pay-to-play for any of their first party titles![/QUOTE]

I concur. I'll only pay for it if it's worth it.

I'm trying to figure out how they'll charge for DLC like songs. I'm not sure how much it is on the 360 but let's say a 3 pack of songs is $6. Are we still going to have to buy Wii points in increments of 10 for $10 or can we finally only buy what we need?

Gah, two threads. Not paying for anything, so I can only hope this won't end up affecting games I would normally be playing.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Maybe they'll rock it "nintendo-style" and require you to pay for an adapter to hook into the USB slot on the back, that will "allow" you to pay for their crappy WiFi service. They can even go one more, and make it so you have to buy a DS to be able to get your secure encrypted WiFi key.

Thats the Nintendo we all know and love.[/QUOTE]

Juka, is this really required? You don't even have a system anymore.

As for DLC, I'll believe it when I see it, and also when the fucking storage problem gets fixed. It was ridiculous before, but now it's just asinine.

pay and play can suck it

and I'm only in favor of DLC if it means actually upgrading a game beyond its limits...not just saying "we forgot to put this in" or some half-ass excuse from charging to complete a game 100% (like selling a car for a need for speed)

[quote name='lilboo']I'm all for DLC.
..But won't take that up more space?
...and yet, we don't have a storage problem?[/quote]
No problem here, just take something out of the fridge. ;)

[quote name='Strell']Juka, is this really required? You don't even have a system anymore.

As for DLC, I'll believe it when I see it, and also when the fucking storage problem gets fixed. It was ridiculous before, but now it's just asinine.[/quote]

It not really required.... :oops:

But you know me and my "Nintendo needs money" mindset. I'm still mad about the headphone jack on the GBSP. =)

PS: I do still have my Wii, you're hot mario is still there.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']It not really required.... :oops:

But you know me and my "Nintendo needs money" mindset. I'm still mad about the headphone jack on the GBSP. =)

PS: I do still have my Wii, you're hot mario is still there.[/QUOTE]

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:]

Pay-for-Play sounds like MMO territory. I'm not worried about the first-party games.

And damn, I would've wanted DLC for Brawl. I don't like DLC in general, but I would've put some cash down for additional characters.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm all for DLC.
..But won't take that up more space?
...and yet, we don't have a storage problem?[/quote]

Of course not. Not at all.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/nintendos-takas.html
[quote name='Aoyama']Aoyama then addressed how Nintendo is dealing with a hot topic: Storage limitations.
They'll compress the games and then expand them when you start playing them. "This step should help alleviate the problem with size limitations."
Apparently the manuals for the game will also be stored online-only, not inside the game ROM itself.
[/quote]

fuck fuck fuck fuck

I've been trying to control myself before, but come on. This is recognizing a problem. And then fucking completely ignoring it! They fucking know there is a problem, which is why they are doing this. So why go in completely the opposite direction? Why can't they allow people to load off of SD or USB storage? I know this is Nintendo. Why do I try to convince myself they won't do something retarded every fucking time. And every time I'm wrong. Every goddamn time. Why?

----
And I've thought about how DLC could work for already existing games. (Who am I kidding, Nintendo will never do this. fuck them. Anyway)
You download the DLC and it creates a seperate channel. When you open it it asks you to put in the game disc if you don't have it in there. The DLC can load what it needs off of the Wii disc and add stuff from the memory.

Maybe a year or so ago, an ambitious VP presented slides on an ext HD sol'n for the Wii and the prez raised a hand. "Uh, Jim, good work on those slides, but were you aware that external storage causes super aids in children? Dammit, Jim, don't apologize to me! Apologize to all the kids you nearly killed with external storage!"

I'm confused by all this "Pay and Play" jazz.

So as far as I understand, this'll allow companies to charge for online play.. if they want?

DLC is nice but with roughly half a gig of space, that's not much. Seriously, Nintendo lets us need to use an external HD, the (pretty much useless) SD slot, or a USB thumb drive. And get rid of friend codes.

But I'm excited for WiiWare... LostWinds looks awesome.

I'm hoping down loadable content will force Nintendo to support hard drives. Stubborn Nintendo, I always wonder if NOA were running things we'd probably have an HD Nintendo system (but it probably cost $400 to $500, mario would probably have an uzi and would have probably gone the way of Sonic and Sega)

[quote name='Rig']Pay-for-Play sounds like MMO territory. I'm not worried about the first-party games.

And damn, I would've wanted DLC for Brawl. I don't like DLC in general, but I would've put some cash down for additional characters.[/QUOTE]

I'd be worried about Animal Crossing. Smells like Pay-to-Play to me.

Well, it seems like this p2p and DLC will just be limited by the Wii's capabilities. It most likely will never be quite as good as the other online console gaming experiences. I would expect a massive influx of nintendo add ons in the future, if this were the case. But personally, I'm sick of addons... was sick of it ever since Sega's 32x.

As I'm sure most CAGs already know, Nintendo games are already too expensive. They never go on clearance, they never go on sale. You STILL can't even find Double Dash for less than $35. That game is HOW old?

I don't have a next-gen console yet, but I'm thinking that I may get a 360 before a Wii. Sure, the Wii is cheaper, but if I have to shell out full price even for old games...

[quote name='Vegan']As I'm sure most CAGs already know, Nintendo games are already too expensive. They never go on clearance, they never go on sale. You STILL can't even find Double Dash for less than $35. That game is HOW old?

I don't have a next-gen console yet, but I'm thinking that I may get a 360 before a Wii. Sure, the Wii is cheaper, but if I have to shell out full price even for old games...[/QUOTE]

Oh come on already.

MSRP of the latest 360 or PS3 games are $60, ten bucks higher than Wii games.

If you search around for deals, you can get Wii games for good prices. For example, getting the $25 GC from TRU with Mario Galaxy, and then using it the next week on B2G1 = $75 for three $50 games. Not to mention that some of their games do go on sale if you look around hard enough. Target usually will do that - sell a new game for $37 within a few weeks of release. Not to mention that some of Nintendo's first party titles are hitting the $30 release point (which are rare and don't count for the big franchises, but still count).

I'll agree that Nintendo is lax on dropping first party title games in the long run, and that they've yet to introduce a GH/PC/PH line with the Wii, and that to us as CAGs, those things suck.

But you're making this out WAY worse than it is, especially considering we have no clue what this PFP stuff means yet. We don't know if it's for first/second party games and/or third party, we don't know the pricing structure, we don't know if it's up to a game-by-game basis, we don't know if it's something like XBL that gets rid of friends codes, etc etc etc.

Come on people. Calm down and wait for some concrete info first instead of throwing your hands up in the air in frustration.

And I'm even saying this despite the fact that I can't think of any reason to do PFP service. As of now, the only game I can imagine that working for is Animal Crossing, and as I said the other day, even then I don't know if I'm willing to go through with it.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I remember when Nintendo claimed DLC for Twilight Princess. Guess all of that got made for the Zapper.[/quote]
I don't think they ever claimed it would have DLC, Eiji Aonuma just said in an interview that it was a possibility. Obviously Nintendo's online service wasn't ready for DLC when Twilight Princess came out.

[quote name='Vegan']As I'm sure most CAGs already know, Nintendo games are already too expensive. [/QUOTE]
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

With an average retail price of $50 -- and a lot of good games for less, like Endless Ocean, Ghost Squad, and Tomb Raider Anniversary -- the Wii is a boon for cheap-ass console gaming even before you go hunting for deals, coupons, and used sales.

(I just bought Metroid Prime 3 for $25. ENVY ME! :D )

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

With an average retail price of $50 -- and a lot of good games for less, like Endless Ocean, Ghost Squad, and Tomb Raider Anniversary -- the Wii is a boon for cheap-ass console gaming even before you go hunting for deals, coupons, and used sales.

--R.J.[/QUOTE]
25? YOU SON OF A...

Oh well, i got it for $32 on launch day.

I hope that the pay for play only applies to some third party titles, and not first party. It would suck because I just wont play Brawl or Mario Kart online. I'll buy them, yes. Just won't play them online which is a shame tho. Xbox Live is a finely crafted service that makes hardcore gamer open their wallets every month to pay for it.

[quote name='blackbird3216']25? YOU SON OF A...

Oh well, i got it for $32 on launch day.[/quote]
I remember that Target.com price mistake. Sadly I put down MP3 to do some other stuff when I was half way through. I tried to get back into it and couldn't remember anything I was supposed to do. And the nonlinear nature of Metroid means I won't have any clue even if I look at a guide.

[quote name='rjung']:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

--R.J.[/quote]

Let me put it this way. I rarely buy game for more than $10, maybe $15. Games go that low a surprising amount of time; even 360 games have had clearances in that range. Nintendo games? Don't count on it, I never see that. I don't think I've EVER nabbed a Gamecube game at that amount.

I, for one, am looking forward to this pay and play system. If it turns out to be close to what live is, who's not going to benefit? They'll still have the free WiFi for some, but for thsoe willing to pay, then they get to reap the benefits. I'm anticipating more information, but I hope that it exceeds my expectations.

[quote name='Super Maio Fan']I, for one, am looking forward to this pay and play system. If it turns out to be close to what live is, who's not going to benefit? They'll still have the free WiFi for some, but for thsoe willing to pay, then they get to reap the benefits. I'm anticipating more information, but I hope that it exceeds my expectations.[/QUOTE]

Um... I think you're assuming that there'll be benefits. They never said what they'll and knowing Nintendo, there won't be any benefits. I'm guessing it'll be the same system but for certain types of games (like MMOs), companies have the option to charge for it.

bread's done
Back