Gears of War 2 for 20 bucks @ Best Buy

MIX_MASTER_ICE

CAGiversary!
BB has GOW2 on sale for 29.99 this week. If you put 5 bucks down on a game pre-order you get 10 bucks off any 29.99 game or higher instantly, provided they are on the same receipt. If you use Madden as your pre-order you can get that 5 bucks back 5 days after the game comes out, which is Aug. 14th. So you are basically getting GOW2 for 20 bucks. Some people probably already know about this, but this is for those who don't know Best Buy pre-order policy. Same goes for any of the games you pre-order....you can get that 5 bucks back 5 days after release if you don't want the game.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']BB has GOW2 on sale for 29.99 this week. If you put 5 bucks down on a game pre-order you get 10 bucks off any 29.99 game or higher instantly, provided they are on the same receipt. If you use Madden as your pre-order you can get that 5 bucks back 5 days after the game comes out, which is Aug. 14th. So you are basically getting GOW2 for 20 bucks. Some people probably already know about this, but this is for those who don't know Best Buy pre-order policy. Same goes for any of the games you pre-order....you can get that 5 bucks back 5 days after release if you don't want the game.[/QUOTE]

Ya but just make sure your not using like 5 bucks in gas to go back. lol.

[quote name='blackarsenic']Hmm, isn't more like you're getting GOW 2 for 25 bucks since you have to pay $5 to get the $10 off?[/QUOTE]
you get the $5 back after the game comes out

[quote name='blackarsenic']Hmm, isn't more like you're getting GOW 2 for 25 bucks since you have to pay $5 to get the $10 off?[/QUOTE]

Oh boy....I was waiting to see who would need basic Math 101. Here we go....

1. Buy GOW2 (29.99) +
2. Reserve Madden (5.00) + = 35 bucks (rounding off)
3. Receive a discount for reserving Madden (-10.00)

35-10= 25.00 (what you pay plus tax)

Come back Aug. 19th or later with your receipt and get 5 bucks refunded.

25-5= 20 (total you paid plus tax after finished)

[quote name='unopepito06']You, sir, are quite crafty. You're like the Macgyver of CAG :rofl:

I already have GOW2, but maybe something else will catch my eye...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, anything 29.99 is basically 19.99 and this even applies to games on sale this week. I did this the other day to get Watchmen pt. 1 & 2 for 20 bucks. Plus you get free game cases from the pre-orders..lol. Normally getting your reserve money back isn't such a big deal, but when they offer 10 bucks off for doing so, then it becomes a great deal. I'm not positive, but I think I read one time that you don't even have to actually wait for the game to release. You can actually get your 5 bucks back prior to the game releasing. Not 100% on that, but I might try it just for a test.

I got gears of war 2 today for 20 bucks. I did the preorder thing but just went straight to customer service and got my 5 dollar refund. Didnt need to wait until the game came out!!!

[quote name='rydude87']I got gears of war 2 today for 20 bucks. I did the preorder thing but just went straight to customer service and got my 5 dollar refund. Didnt need to wait until the game came out!!![/QUOTE]

I don't think I would quite have the balls to go immediately to the CS desk and as for a refund on something I bought 15 seconds prior, but I guess that answers the question on when you can get the money back. Thumbs up on that one, ballsy!

Yah...i was a bit scared but they were all nice. The girl that I bought it from actually went to customer service and did it for me! They were friendly.

[quote name='rydude87']Yah...i was a bit scared but they were all nice. The girl that I bought it from actually went to customer service and did it for me! They were friendly.[/QUOTE]

Did you give them back the empty pre-order case? lol

Does anyone know if the Uncharted pre-order bonus is already available at Best Buy? I genuinely wanted to reserve that and I might as well do it this way.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Did you give them back the empty pre-order case? lol[/QUOTE]

Yah I did, they took it lol. I think 20 bucks will be the cheapest you can get a new gow2 for a long while.

I didn't see Uncharted 2 pre-order case at my local BB, but then again I wasn't really looking for it. I know it wasn't in the small section where they had the pre-order cases all sitting together.

[quote name='kazunori']Does anyone know if the Uncharted pre-order bonus is already available at Best Buy? I genuinely wanted to reserve that and I might as well do it this way.[/QUOTE]

The BB's in the St. Louis area have them.

Do I have to return the pre-order case or can I just take my receipt for the refund?

[quote name='Pixelated Punk']say if you preorder any game, do you have to pick it up at the same place you reserved it?[/QUOTE]

Yes you would have to pick it up at the same store.

[quote name='Estebon']I wonder if you can stack the $3 off Chex Mix coupon with it? Get it for $17 bucks plus tax.[/QUOTE]

you are pushing it... jk... great idea though!

[quote name='Estebon']I wonder if you can stack the $3 off Chex Mix coupon with it? Get it for $17 bucks plus tax.[/QUOTE]

Should work just fine, no other coupon in the mix....

[quote name='donut']Should work just fine, no other coupon in the mix....[/QUOTE]

GOW2 is on sale, however. The Chex coupon is off regular priced items, but you may get lucky with a dumb cashier.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']GOW2 is on sale, however. The Chex coupon is off regular priced items, but you may get lucky with a dumb cashier.[/QUOTE]

Coupons work on sale items...Never had an issue.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']BB has GOW2 on sale for 29.99 this week. If you put 5 bucks down on a game pre-order you get 10 bucks off any 29.99 game or higher instantly, provided they are on the same receipt. If you use Madden as your pre-order you can get that 5 bucks back 5 days after the game comes out, which is Aug. 14th. So you are basically getting GOW2 for 20 bucks. Some people probably already know about this, but this is for those who don't know Best Buy pre-order policy. Same goes for any of the games you pre-order....you can get that 5 bucks back 5 days after release if you don't want the game.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing when I read this weeks ads.

My local Best Buy recently would not refund me for a Pre-Order I decided I did not want so I was forced to buy the game and now I have to go return that to get all my money back including the Pre-Order $5. I am not sure if that store is trying to crack down on the Pre-Order work arounds many are using to get the free items but I just wanted to pass the info along.

[quote name='Owen']My local Best Buy recently would not refund me for a Pre-Order I decided I did not want so I was forced to buy the game and now I have to go return that to get all my money back including the Pre-Order $5. I am not sure if that store is trying to crack down on the Pre-Order work arounds many are using to get the free items but I just wanted to pass the info along.[/QUOTE]

No surprise there. To qualify for the $10 off, you have to actually pre-order a game. Once you return the pre-order, it seems reasonable that you would also have to give up the $10 discount you got on the other game as a result. This should be marked as YMMV as it is not really guaranteed and is not actually getting the GoW 2 game for $20 if you actually spend another $5 for the pre-order.

Great idea. I'd do this if my cousins weren't coming who have this game (I just want to play through the campaign, I have the first Gears) ... I'm not currently paying for Live and so I wouldn't benefit from the multiplayer too much anyways.

[quote name='unopepito06']You, sir, are quite crafty. You're like the Macgyver of CAG :rofl:
.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Bravo good sir. I see what you did there lol. I agree and would like to add the op to the yearly awards list for greatest ever. :bouncy:

[quote name='donut']Should work just fine, no other coupon in the mix....[/QUOTE]

Thats why I think it should work. When NBA09 went on sale for um, $10 bucks, I used it and got $3 bucks off each one and was trading them in to GS for $14 credit or whatever it was.

I don't know how this pre-order thing works, so thats why I'm wondering about it.

Also, i've used those Chex mix coupons about 15 times by now and they are showing up on my premier membership tally. I hope they don't get pissed about this in the long run.

[quote name='Owen']My local Best Buy recently would not refund me for a Pre-Order I decided I did not want so I was forced to buy the game and now I have to go return that to get all my money back including the Pre-Order $5. I am not sure if that store is trying to crack down on the Pre-Order work arounds many are using to get the free items but I just wanted to pass the info along.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bojay1997']No surprise there. To qualify for the $10 off, you have to actually pre-order a game. Once you return the pre-order, it seems reasonable that you would also have to give up the $10 discount you got on the other game as a result. This should be marked as YMMV as it is not really guaranteed and is not actually getting the GoW 2 game for $20 if you actually spend another $5 for the pre-order.[/QUOTE]

The game I Pre-Ordered was last month and I tried to get a refund a week after it came out. It was not part of this deal, I just wanted to give a warning about a possible future change in Best Buy's Pre-Order return policy. As it may mean one more hoop to jump through.

You will get your 5 dollars back. It may be a case of when, but you'll get it back. If for some reason your BB won't allow you to get the 5 bucks back prior to the game releasing, there's no problem getting the refund after the game has released. The pre-order cases explains this in the "customer procedures." This is quoted directly from the Madden pre-order case....

"If not redeemed 5 days after release date, the receipt may be refunded at Customer Service."

[quote name='bojay1997']No surprise there. To qualify for the $10 off, you have to actually pre-order a game. Once you return the pre-order, it seems reasonable that you would also have to give up the $10 discount you got on the other game as a result. This should be marked as YMMV as it is not really guaranteed and is not actually getting the GoW 2 game for $20 if you actually spend another $5 for the pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Not YMMV at all. You will get your 5 dollars back. It may be a case of when, but you'll get it back. If for some reason your BB won't allow you to get the 5 bucks back prior to the game releasing, there's no problem getting the refund after the game has released. The pre-order cases explains this in the "customer procedures." This is quoted directly from the Madden pre-order case and it's the same on the COD MW2 pre-order case.

"If not redeemed 5 days after release date, the receipt may be refunded at Customer Service."

I pre-ordered MW2 with the deal and he had the adjust gears to $19.99. So I can cancel the pre-order for sure. The last time I did that the lady gave me a $5 gift card.

I did this on Sunday, pre-ordering Beatles Rock Band.

This seems to be a good place to ask this question: I didn't get anything for my BRB pre-order except the receipt. I'm supposed to be able to join the "BRB Pre-order club" or something like that, but I didn't get the code I'm supposed to have to do so. I don't care much about signing up for their spam list, but I'm wondering if something went wrong with the preorder, because I've never done one at BB before. Does anyone know?

[quote name='rydude87']I got gears of war 2 today for 20 bucks. I did the preorder thing but just went straight to customer service and got my 5 dollar refund. Didnt need to wait until the game came out!!![/QUOTE]
So this is confirmed, then? They don't add the $10 discount back on to your total? Because I'm looking at their return policy and I see this:

Please Note: In many bundle packages, a discounted price has been applied to each item in the package. While you will be refunded the discounted price of the individual item you return, you will be required to pay the difference between each remaining item's bundle price and its non-discounted price on the date of your bundle purchase.
To me, this says that you get $10 off because you bundled a $5 preorder. If you return the preorder, you get $5 back, but you have to pay the $10 difference because you no longer qualify for the bundle discount. So it would end up back at $30.

Has anyone else already tried to return their $5 preorder? Did the $10 stay off your purchase price of GoW2, or did you need to pay it back? Seems like this might be a YMMV thing.

[quote name='GameOnJohn']I pre-ordered MW2 with the deal and he had the adjust gears to $19.99. So I can cancel the pre-order for sure. The last time I did that the lady gave me a $5 gift card.[/QUOTE]

If it's past the 30 day return the system will only allow a gift card, but if you buy the game and return it, they will give you your money back.

There's no bundle, because you aren't getting anything tangible like a figurine, shirt or something like that. You just take your receipt back and get the 5 dollar refund. You guys are WAY over-analyzing this.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']There's no bundle, because you aren't getting anything tangible like a figurine, shirt or something like that. You just take your receipt back and get the 5 dollar refund. You guys are WAY over-analyzing this.[/QUOTE]

No, we are analyzing it the same way any reasonable customer service person at Best Buy would. You got the $10 off only because you pre-ordered a game. The offer doesn't say that if you cancel the pre-order, you can keep the discount. I recognize that your Best Buy may not have cared and maybe others won't either, but I think any reasonable customer service person at Best Buy will require that the whole purchase be processed as a return if you cancel the pre-order. That's why they rang them both up on the same receipt as opposed to handing you a $10 gift card or giving you a coupon for $10 when you put $5 down to preorder a game.

yeah I'm surprised this works - I just got GoW2 for $30 there and I think that was good enough :)

that may not sound like spoken like a CAG, but this seems more like a loop they haven't closed yet

bread's done
Back