Gears of War 3 Epic Edition - $12.99 - Gamestop - YMMV

salt_peanuts

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Looks like they marked the Epic edition (the one with the statue) down to the preowned price at Gamestop, $12.99.  Prob. YMMV since the stores prob mostly gut them, but my local store had 2 and I got one and the clerk she got the other one.  Apologize if old.

I apparently can't figure out how to paste a pic on this new board, haven't done it in a while...

People are not supposed to call.  What ever happened to the cardinal rule of not calling?  It gives workers the chance to keep it for themselves.

checked in  at GS after seeing this thread while at BestBuy, asked the guy if he had anymore...

he said no, they were all gone but they had a display one left that he had to destroy bc they were being converted to used...then picked up the display one and laid it down behind the counter...said he couldnt sell it and was going to have to destroy it...then added he couldnt even keep it...

I guess he could tell I thought he was full of shit bc he seemed to emphasize that he wasnt going to be keeping it again...LOL fukin GS

I've been calling and they keep saying the same thing. Nothing in my town and surrounding area and I don't feel like driving for an hour into uptown just to possibly waste gas. On that note, I'll likely do it later anyways. 

I've been calling and they keep saying the same thing. Nothing in my town and surrounding area and I don't feel like driving for an hour into uptown just to possibly waste gas. On that note, I'll likely do it later anyways.
CAG rule: Do not call, just go.

Think i'll swing by and check out a couple of nearby gamestops just for kicks. Can't believe this used to be $150 when it came out.

Yesterday I went and checked on a store I knew had 3 of them as of a couple of weeks ago. No dice. They must have been snapped up fast.

If you were to give a positive score rating on a GS survey would the DM's still read the comment boxes?

I just had to go through a little ordeal with a local GS.  One store had it on hold for me yesterday courtesy of the morning crew and when I arrived 30 minutes before closing the evening associate informed me that the mid-day associate had bought it.  I told him how unhappy I was since the morning guy had placed it in the back for me and had my name on it.  The guy tells me that he thinks there must have been some confusion between the morning and mid-day guys.  His guess was that since I was looking for a "new" copy that the "converted to used" versions weren't going to be the same thinking that I wasn't going to want it anymore.  WTF??? 

Anyhow, the evening guy offered to make the guilty employee come back again tomorrow and sell me the CE and as an alternative called almost every store in the area to find a backup.   Luckily, he found one after calling 5 stores and so I decided to go there this morning to pick it up instead.  I want to give the guy a good survey but I feel like the guilty employee should be neg'd for buying the CE that was on hold for me so my idea is to call him out on the comments but give a good overall score at the same time for the evening associate that rang up my trade in.

So I got my EE for $13 before discounts.  Box was pretty beat up but that's expected given how long it's been out for.  Price rang up automatically as I expected.  For any of you guys that are worried about the price - just do it, and don't be timid about watching the credit card screen.  If you get any other price, you either didn't pay attention to the kiosk or you didn't bother trying and let the employee scare you off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually found one, but it rang up out of system when scanned. The manager insisted he couldn't sell it to me, but he would check with his boss to see what he could do. He also manages the other store by my house so I didn't bother checking there. They were clearly unaware of the change.

Alright after wasting a lot of gas money riding around today, one employee finally told me the SKU drop happened last Wednesday and that there's a good chance they're gone. Just some added info.. so honestly if any kind-hearted CAG can get a spare or sees one in store I'd happily pay for it + shipping. I can't keep wasting my gas so I can't keep looking further.

If you were to give a positive score rating on a GS survey would the DM's still read the comment boxes?

I just had to go through a little ordeal with a local GS. One store had it on hold for me yesterday courtesy of the morning crew and when I arrived 30 minutes before closing the evening associate informed me that the mid-day associate had bought it. I told him how unhappy I was since the morning guy had placed it in the back for me and had my name on it. The guy tells me that he thinks there must have been some confusion between the morning and mid-day guys. His guess was that since I was looking for a "new" copy that the "converted to used" versions weren't going to be the same thinking that I wasn't going to want it anymore. WTF???

Anyhow, the evening guy offered to make the guilty employee come back again tomorrow and sell me the CE and as an alternative called almost every store in the area to find a backup. Luckily, he found one after calling 5 stores and so I decided to go there this morning to pick it up instead. I want to give the guy a good survey but I feel like the guilty employee should be neg'd for buying the CE that was on hold for me so my idea is to call him out on the comments but give a good overall score at the same time for the evening associate that rang up my trade in.

So I got my EE for $13 before discounts. Box was pretty beat up but that's expected given how long it's been out for. Price rang up automatically as I expected. For any of you guys that are worried about the price - just do it, and don't be timid about watching the credit card screen. If you get any other price, you either didn't pay attention to the kiosk or you didn't bother trying and let the employee scare you off.

That was nice of the evening associate to check around for you.You got insanely lucky that another store had one so close to you.

I checked around with all my local stores and none have it. :fridge: One employee told me that he bought the last two they had in stock. Another employee told me that he's never heard of it and that I must be referring to gears of war judgment lol. Most told me that they usually disappear the same day the price converts.

I drove to a GS store 30 miles away yesterday, nada.  but found $30 in cash sitting outside the front door when I left!!  [got a feeling one of the $5's is a counterfeit.]

Only one GS around me had a copy of GOW 3 EE, and the guy on the phone was polite and said yeah he would check the back for me and put it on hold since he just saw it the day before.  Came back, told me he had some bad news, since it was reduced to used seems their manager cut open the box and either trashed...or more likely took home the box and statue.  All that was left was the limited edition parts of the box (game & case, metal cog, flag, nice black box) and that he would hold it for me if I still wanted it.  Guaranteed me it was still fresh out of the box not even opened since of course the EE was still sealed the day before.

I bit because $12.99 for all that stuff?  I wanted a used copy anyway to play again after I sold mine so I figured why not.  Went to GS to pick it up and the same nice guy on the phone said he held it for me, but several people after me called about it.  One was actually in the store inquiring about it right before I got there.  Luckily it was on hold for me.  Even the guy who helped me out was tempted to buy it instead of holding for me, but said he'd rather have the sale and a possible repeat customer.  I was happy to hear him say that, if I ever do go back to GS I'll just work with this guy from now on.  Decency rules in my book. 

Picked mine one with no issue there was like 2 left at the store near me.. as soon as i read the price drop i ran over to pick one up!.. The statue is pretty bad ass

id hope karma would be on my side after I helped a guy get a copy of the Dead Space Dev Team edition....

Still looking for someone to help me out. I cant leave my town due to fourth of july traffic.......and my nearest gamestops sold out.

Thanks OP! This is my story. I called a local Gamestop that I remembered had several of them in stock at first the clerk said "Yeah we have them. Let me check the price for you." I said, "No that's okay" because I know they tend to keep things for themselves. He didn't hear me and checked the price. Then he said, "Oh we don't have them I got confused we have Injustice." I said "how do you confuse GOW3 with Injustice?" Luckily I was 30 seconds away and as I entered I saw him bringing them down, they had 3. I saw him and said, "I thought you didn't have any?" He just stood there looking at me like a deer looking at headlights. He started making excuses by telling me "Oh they don't ring up so I am not allowed to sell them to you." I called BS and told him to ring one up so I could see for myself that they don't. When he scanned one the price came up $12.99. He said, "That's weird it wasn't working earlier."   :roll:  Yeah it wasn't working 30 seconds ago... He then told me my final price and I said "Oh I'm taking all 3." If you could see the look in his face. He was furious. I'm guessing he wanted them all to himself. So I'm keeping one, gave one to my brother, and gave one to my friend. I would normally only take one because I hate Hoarders but that clerk got me mad by trying to pull a fast one. Hope you enjoyed the story!

Thanks OP! This is my story. I called a local Gamestop that I remembered had several of them in stock at first the clerk said "Yeah we have them. Let me check the price for you." I said, "No that's okay" because I know they tend to keep things for themselves. He didn't hear me and checked the price. Then he said, "Oh we don't have them I got confused we have Injustice." I said "how do you confuse GOW3 with Injustice?" Luckily I was 30 seconds away and as I entered I saw him bringing them down, they had 3. I saw him and said, "I thought you didn't have any?" He just stood there looking at me like a deer looking at headlights. He started making excuses by telling me "Oh they don't ring up so I am not allowed to sell them to you." I called BS and told him to ring one up so I could see for myself that they don't. When he scanned one the price came up $12.99. He said, "That's weird it wasn't working earlier." :roll: Yeah it wasn't working 30 seconds ago... He then told me my final price and I said "Oh I'm taking all 3." If you could see the look in his face. He was furious. I'm guessing he wanted them all to himself. So I'm keeping one, gave one to my brother, and gave one to my friend. I would normally only take one because I hate Hoarders but that clerk got me mad by trying to pull a fast one. Hope you enjoyed the story!
DAMN. You sure showed him. Nice! :applause:

Called every gamestop around me. I know 2 for sure that don't have it with their quick response, but at least 3 more looked it up and said they only have the used. Thinking about checking them to see if their used is actually the epic.

Thanks OP! This is my story. I called a local Gamestop that I remembered had several of them in stock at first the clerk said "Yeah we have them. Let me check the price for you." I said, "No that's okay" because I know they tend to keep things for themselves. He didn't hear me and checked the price. Then he said, "Oh we don't have them I got confused we have Injustice." I said "how do you confuse GOW3 with Injustice?" Luckily I was 30 seconds away and as I entered I saw him bringing them down, they had 3. I saw him and said, "I thought you didn't have any?" He just stood there looking at me like a deer looking at headlights. He started making excuses by telling me "Oh they don't ring up so I am not allowed to sell them to you." I called BS and told him to ring one up so I could see for myself that they don't. When he scanned one the price came up $12.99. He said, "That's weird it wasn't working earlier." :roll: Yeah it wasn't working 30 seconds ago... He then told me my final price and I said "Oh I'm taking all 3." If you could see the look in his face. He was furious. I'm guessing he wanted them all to himself. So I'm keeping one, gave one to my brother, and gave one to my friend. I would normally only take one because I hate Hoarders but that clerk got me mad by trying to pull a fast one. Hope you enjoyed the story!
Now you need to fill out the survey, rate him as low as you can and mention him lying and trying to hoard them for himself. Employees are not allowed to hoard sale items. The only way to stop them doing it is to report them to their district manager by filling out the survey. As an ex GS manager, i can tell you that those surveys REALLY hurt. Drop below a certain percent and you get put under the microscope. Employees like this should be fired.

Great story, what a jerkbag. I was able to snag the only epic edition within 50 miles of me. The clerk about shit himself when it rang up $11.69 with my powerup card. It was worth the drive to see the look on his face! Thanks OP!

Now you need to fill out the survey, rate him as low as you can and mention him lying and trying to hoard them for himself. Employees are not allowed to hoard sale items. The only way to stop them doing it is to report them to their district manager by filling out the survey. As an ex GS manager, i can tell you that those surveys REALLY hurt. Drop below a certain percent and you get put under the microscope. Employees like this should be fired.
I plan on filling out the survey and believe me it will have nothing but negativity.

Called my local game stop at Sunnyside New York and was told they had some in stock. When I went to the store and ask them for the game they said they had some in stock in the basement. As soon as I mentioned that they were being converted to use prices the employee said oh we don't have that game. The reason why no is lying is because the SKU is no longer in the system. He acted like he was checking the system and they said they had zero stock. Not worth my time to look elsewhere but I reported the customer experience online. This is the reason why don't shop at GameStop. Lame.

Thats why u never mention the price or that it was converted. Let them get the item first and have them scan it. I would never try and call a store asking for converted items coz chances are your just giving away t

Great story, what a jerkbag. I was able to snag the only epic edition within 50 miles of me. The clerk about shit himself when it rang up $11.69 with my powerup card. It was worth the drive to see the look on his face! Thanks OP!
thats what the cashier did back when the ps2 was converted i want in looking for a new ps2 no other stores had any around my area other then that store he was trying to make me buy a used one

i ended up getting the white singstar edition i still have it new in the box i think i will selling real soon they are going for over $200 on ebay

Thanks, OP.

Grabbed the last copy in West Seattle.  Had seen it there on the floor for weeks now literally collecting dust.

Went by today in the off chance and got it for the clearance price!

- Ray

lol I got a good story myself. I already have a copy that I got the same holiday season that it came out but I got that at 90 bucks. Anyways, I knew that the gamestop near my girlfriend's parents house had a couple so I went and checked and they were marked at 50. The guy couldn't believe that they were only 13 bucks. He said he was definitely buying one, he's like I'll take the opened one and you can take the one that was still sealed. The guy that regularly works there is a complete douchebag, but this guy was pretty cool. Didn't even hassle me to renew my PUR membership after I said I'll wait on it a couple weeks. Anyways, thanks OP! I'm going to save this for one of my friend's birthdays or something.

Edit: we should make a list of games/collector's editions that have been converted to preowned. I know Alpha protocol was converted a few months ago, but that's all I know about.

All my local GameStops that had them told me they were discontinued and they had to send them back to their warehouse...
Now to believe them or not...

so much win.

All my local GameStops that had them told me they were discontinued and they had to send them back to their warehouse...
Now to believe them or not...
Don't believe it. The employees either took everything home or they destroyed them/threw them away

If you wanted to piss him off even more, you could have gone out to your car and removed the game from each one and went back and returned just the games keeping the statue and stuff. :p

Ugh, wanted one of these. Went to the Gamestop nearby that had 1 or 2 when they were $50, they didnt have anymore or so the guy said. If anyone gets any extra they want to sell, shoot me a PM please ;D

I couldn't find any after seaching even further out of my area I asked one employee if they could check in the back, and they refused to because they weren't in the system and gave me the same cookie cutter answer "They were all destroyed and converted to used copies, they were destroyed and given to various people" "Look on craigslist or amazon" etc. So I just decided to use my ebucks on ebay and buy one at $40. Got tired of searching and wasting gas. You guys that find these are really lucky.

Ugh, wanted one of these. Went to the Gamestop nearby that had 1 or 2 when they were $50, they didnt have anymore or so the guy said. If anyone gets any extra they want to sell, shoot me a PM please ;D
It's still not bad at $50, if you haven't played the game before and the box is on good condition.

I plan on filling out the survey and believe me it will have nothing but negativity.
GS seems to actually read those things as well so definitely fill it out if you have a bad experience. I've only filled one out once and they contacted me through email and asked me to describe the associate and everything so they could deal with him.

I think I got screwed over from getting one, but it's not a big deal as the box was pretty beat up and dusty. Brought it up to the counter and asked if he could ring it up. He said it rang up the $49.99 as stated on the sticker of the box, which I know is BS. Then left to do some other errands and came back, to see the box behind the counter where the employee was. I wasn't going to confront him about it as it wasn't worth my time to just get some generic response about why they can't sell it.

Well I'm going hunting tomorrow I guess. I know everyone is asking but if anyone wants to sell me a copy I'd love one for my statue collection.

good job, zombieking!! great story. TKO that fool!!

GameStop employees are pretty much the same as used car salespeople. They have no ethics, so don't bother applying morale or any standards to them. The good ones eventually leave on their own for much better opportunities.

bread's done
Back