Gears of War 3: Preorder Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Purkeynator']I really want the Limited Edition to go with my Gears 1 & 2 Limited edition games but Epic is making it really hard to incentivise me to do so.[/QUOTE]Pretty much this...

I would also like a copy at midnight... Something I'm not really going to find by buying online. (Its not really an impatience issue as the fact that I work overnights, I'm going to be up, and that 10 or so hours right after midnight will be the most uninterrupted time I get to spend with the game for a week.)

So while I have a preorder of both version on Amazon right now I think I will ended up canceling both and getting the game +20 dollar coupon from walmart as I its SKU will likely match (I'm about 99% sure) the SKU I'll by from them at midnight.

If I feel crazy I'll get the controller+game+20 dollar credit and hope for a good resale but that's really not like me.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Why would anyone doubt this? It always happens with every release. Halo 3 Master Chief heads were everywhere for $20. God of War 3 Pandora's Boxes for $20. Alan Wake LE that I think Amazon might have wound up paying people to take.

Honestly, I don't even know why people preorder games when they can wait a couple months and get it for a lot less during the Amazon holiday sale. You just know that Gears of War 3 will be listed for the same $20 that Halo Reach was last year during BF...

I guess impatience has its cost. Me? By the time they've patched the bugs, it'll be Black Friday-ish time.[/QUOTE]
For me, it's mostly impatience. I love the Gears series so I don't mind dropping the money at launch.

[quote name='Burning Karma']For me, it's mostly impatience. I love the Gears series so I don't mind dropping the money at launch.[/QUOTE]
Same here. halo I didn't care so I got it for $45 at target.

Is anyone ordering the Journeys End Marcus Fenix figure from gamestop? I collect gears figures, so i think i will order it. NECA told me on twitter that they wont reveal what it looks like, because epic wants to keep it a secret. Maybe has something to do with what he looks like at the end of the Gears 3 story? Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else is going to get it, and is there a code for free shipping?

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Why would anyone doubt this? It always happens with every release. Halo 3 Master Chief heads were everywhere for $20. God of War 3 Pandora's Boxes for $20. Alan Wake LE that I think Amazon might have wound up paying people to take.

Honestly, I don't even know why people preorder games when they can wait a couple months and get it for a lot less during the Amazon holiday sale. You just know that Gears of War 3 will be listed for the same $20 that Halo Reach was last year during BF...

I guess impatience has its cost. Me? By the time they've patched the bugs, it'll be Black Friday-ish time.[/QUOTE]

Gears of War 2 LE and the Gears of War Lancer more than hold their value.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Is anyone ordering the Journeys End Marcus Fenix figure from gamestop? I collect gears figures, so i think i will order it. NECA told me on twitter that they wont reveal what it looks like, because epic wants to keep it a secret. Maybe has something to do with what he looks like at the end of the Gears 3 story? Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else is going to get it, and is there a code for free shipping?[/QUOTE]

A while back people said it may look like this. Alternative skin for Marcus

[quote name='Darkhate']A while back people said it may look like this. Alternative skin for Marcus [/QUOTE]

That might be cool, i just ordered it. Now it shows a release date of 8-31, tomorrow. Before it was 9-20 so i hope it ships tomorrow, that would be cool.

Oh wow i just checked my order on gamestop.com and it says backordered. :/

I have read all of the issues of the comic, and I own all of the GoW books. The games themselves are really light on the story telling side, but the books are actually great reads. I find the universe fascinating, especially once you get into the pendulum wars and seeing what the COG had to do just to try and stay alive. It's a pretty messed up and brutal universe. I am really looking forward to the last game.

[quote name='ElectricStarshine']I have read all of the issues of the comic, and I own all of the GoW books. The games themselves are really light on the story telling side, but the books are actually great reads. I find the universe fascinating, especially once you get into the pendulum wars and seeing what the COG had to do just to try and stay alive. It's a pretty messed up and brutal universe. I am really looking forward to the last game.[/QUOTE]

THIS! if you have listened to the books in audio version, you really do appreciate the individual characters more as well.

The gears of war story sucks but I don't play this particular series for a good story (would be great if it had one though. I still lmao at dom smoking his wife from time to time). I play this series to kick some major ass, chop locust's up and to listen to Cole train baby !

As for pre ordering this game, why would anyone preorder any other version of this game when amazon is giving you 20$ credit for the vanilla edition ? Seems a lot more usefull than a fisher price toy lancer and multiplayer skins if you ask me

[quote name='strait edge follower']The gears of war story sucks but I don't play this particular series for a good story (would be great if it had one though. I still lmao at dom smoking his wife from time to time). I play this series to kick some major ass, chop locust's up and to listen to Cole train baby !

As for pre ordering this game, why would anyone preorder any other version of this game when amazon is giving you 20$ credit for the vanilla edition ? Seems a lot more usefull than a fisher price toy lancer and multiplayer skins if you ask me[/QUOTE]
Not everyone is out for the best deal possible. Some people like the dumb little extras.

[quote name='donkeypunch24']gears is mediocre at best just wanna finish the story thats all[/QUOTE]

I'm having trouble believing you have a valid opinion with a name and avatar like that.

[quote name='strait edge follower']The gears of war story sucks but I don't play this particular series for a good story (would be great if it had one though. I still lmao at dom smoking his wife from time to time). I play this series to kick some major ass, chop locust's up and to listen to Cole train baby !

As for pre ordering this game, why would anyone preorder any other version of this game when amazon is giving you 20$ credit for the vanilla edition ? Seems a lot more usefull than a fisher price toy lancer and multiplayer skins if you ask me[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is giving me $20 on the limited edition (buy 5 get 100 back) and possibly then some. So there is that.

1st. you have to read the books and you will get more of a good story line.
2nd. if you want a deal it's walmart that has the best deal with $100 you get a LE controller($60) and the game($60) plus $20 gift card. making the controller and the game $40ea.
3rd. The GOW 2 fisher price toy that was only $140 Standard ED or $150 for the LE. not sells for about $175-$230 on ebay. Damn fisher price makes stuff that people want.

Has anyone seen the prices the Pre-order skin codes are going for on eBay? These people don't even have the codes for another 2.5 weeks and they're already selling them. I thought about selling mine (savage kantus amazon Pre-order). Any body else doing this?

Also, does anyone have any experience with these season pass deals? I've been going crazy buying games using shipwreck's guide to half-priced games. Just curious, if I buy the season pass on my friends xbox, will we both be able to download the dlc, or maybe I buy the season pass, then when the dlc is available download it to my friends xbox first.

[quote name='VersionJ']Has anyone seen the prices the Pre-order skin codes are going for on eBay? These people don't even have the codes for another 2.5 weeks and they're already selling them. I thought about selling mine (savage kantus amazon Pre-order). Any body else doing this?

Also, does anyone have any experience with these season pass deals? I've been going crazy buying games using shipwreck's guide to half-priced games. Just curious, if I buy the season pass on my friends xbox, will we both be able to download the dlc, or maybe I buy the season pass, then when the dlc is available download it to my friends xbox first.[/QUOTE]

DLC is linked to both the console and the id that bought it. So the short answer is that while your logged into your friends account, you will be able to play and he can join you. if you leave, he wont have access to it unless he buys it on his gamertag.

This is how it has always worked.

[quote name='VersionJ']Has anyone seen the prices the Pre-order skin codes are going for on eBay? These people don't even have the codes for another 2.5 weeks and they're already selling them. I thought about selling mine (savage kantus amazon Pre-order). Any body else doing this?

Also, does anyone have any experience with these season pass deals? I've been going crazy buying games using shipwreck's guide to half-priced games. Just curious, if I buy the season pass on my friends xbox, will we both be able to download the dlc, or maybe I buy the season pass, then when the dlc is available download it to my friends xbox first.[/QUOTE]

I have sold a few early. I usually sell mine a week or so early but wanted to be ahead of the curve here.

So Amazon has the best deal right now, correct? (most people dont pay tax on Amazon, making it better than Walmart)

[quote name='gamermonkey']So Amazon has the best deal right now, correct? (most people dont pay tax on Amazon, making it better than Walmart)[/QUOTE]
If you are just getting the game then yes. if you are getting the game and the controller then no walmart is better. you pay $100 plus tax. but you get $20 gift card. makes the game 40 and conrtoller 40

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='knightsmith']If you are just getting the game then yes. if you are getting the game and the controller then no walmart is better. you pay $100 plus tax. but you get $20 gift cart. makes the game 40 and conrtoller 40[/QUOTE]

True. I already have 2 controllers so no need for one.

preordered stantard at Amazon, trying to save up some credit there. I am still deciding about the console, if it turns into the drama like me getting the MW2 Bundle then I should just preorder it now as well....hmmm

I'm flip flopping about keeping my pre-order at Amazon. Money is tight and it's 60 bucks. @_@ Gears 1 was the only reason I got a 360 back in '07. Bought 2 on it's release day. XD Ugh, I want it but... Help convince me. @_@

So at 2:31 i posted that i pre-ordered, after that I put my Savage Kantus Code on ebay. Sold 5 minutes ago with a BIN of 40.....so with the $20 promo and the code, I got gears for free GOOD DEAL!!!!

I hope all of you that are posting codes recognize that you're taking a HUGE risk. All the buyer has to do is claim that the code didnt work (even if you do send the card itself), and you're screwed. Ebay won't protect you, as its against their digital goods policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

Here's the section specifically calling out DLC:

Online gaming accounts or artifacts such as characters, currency, or other items in any format

[quote name='merchie89']So at 2:31 i posted that i pre-ordered, after that I put my Savage Kantus Code on ebay. Sold 5 minutes ago with a BIN of 40.....so with the $20 promo and the code, I got gears for free GOOD DEAL!!!![/QUOTE]

I hope all of you that are selling codes recognize that you're taking a HUGE risk. All the buyer has to do is claim that the code didnt work (even if you do send the card itself), and you're screwed. Ebay won't protect you, as its against their digital goods policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

Here's the section specifically calling out DLC:

Online gaming accounts or artifacts such as characters, currency, or other items in any format

[quote name='hustletron']I've said this at least 5 times on here but I'll say it again:

It's quite unlikely as I've only seen it happen with LA Noire, but I tried buying different copies of LA Noire from different retailers for all the DLC then just return them.

The DLC was packaged in the cases for one, and two, the UPCs on the games were all different based on retailer so my Amazon copy could not be returned to Gamestop.

I'm hoping neither of the above is the case as I've preordered from Amazon, Bestbuy, and I'm going to WalMart at midnight to pick up a copy in hopes I can still get a DLC code from WalMart without preordering and just showing up at midnight.

EDIT: I just listened to this guy, he sounds like he's a genius by stating the obvious, except for the fact that everything he is saying is pure speculation. I didn't know Epic said they would be DLC eventually but you could either deal with the "head ache" how big or small of a head ache has obviously yet to be seen, or you could pay the MSP to download them at a later date.[/QUOTE]

And? If it comes packed in the game, don't open the game, duh. Online orders from Best Buy and Gamestop both say on their website that they will e-mail you the code. In store orders from Gamestop says the code will be printed on your receipt. There's no risk, if you aren't a total idiot. You may be tying up $60 here or there for a short amount of time, but if you can't afford to do that, you probably have no business getting this game in the first place. The only risk, as stated in the post above mine, is in trying to sell these codes for a profit.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Further proof that Youtube is aiding the decline of the intelligence in society. First, this guy tells you nothing new, as people have been posting this idea in this very thread for weeks now.

Second, this guy talks as if he's never heard of Amazon before. He speaks like it's some new, untrustworthy website.

Finally, you can't just return it to Walmart. They intentionally are charging you $20 for the e-gift card they're giving out with any pre-order of Gears of War 3, so you will not simply get $60 back. The same applies to Amazon, as their rules with the $20 promotional credit are the same; if you return your order, the $20 promotional credit is deducted from your $60 return, meaning you lose $20 and are forced to keep the Amazon credit. That means that you'd get your $40 back, and have to keep a $20 Amazon or Walmart credit.

That may not be an issue if you buy regularly from Amazon or Walmart online, but this is important to consider. You will not get a full refund at either store.

As for Best Buy or GameStop, I'm uncertain what Best Buy will do, but you can be certain that the employee you try to pull this on at GameStop will give you a confrontation about it. It's actually more important at GameStop to secure pre-orders than it is to sell used games, which means you're potentially jeopardizing an employee's job simply for a DLC character that you probably won't use too frequently as you unlock other characters.

Just pick the skin you like and order from that store. Or just sell your multiple copies online.

And whoever is saying that the pre-order skins are confirmed to be DLC later, post a link or retract your comment. I've checked Epic's Forum and see no such post under any of the Gears of War threads.[/QUOTE]

Unless you are actively boycotting Amazon or Wal-Mart, you will find something you need to buy at either store. Also, the Wal-Mart eGift card that says it is only for WalMart.com purchases, well just buy a physical gift card for the amount of the eGift card, which is also mailed to you for free.

And what are you 12 years old? OMG, the GameStop employee might confront me about why I want to return an unopened game that I bought? You are well within your rights to return the unopened game for a full refund. If they try to pressure you into keeping the game, tell them to **** off. If you are a pussy and can't talk to people, then yea, don't bother trying to get all these different DLC characters.

I'm pretty sure this website is called Cheap Ass Gamer, not Gamers With A Conscience, or whatever.

[quote name='MaicoWin']And? If it comes packed in the game, don't open the game, duh. Online orders from Best Buy and Gamestop both say on their website that they will e-mail you the code. In store orders from Gamestop says the code will be printed on your receipt. There's no risk, if you aren't a total idiot. You may be tying up $60 here or there for a short amount of time, but if you can't afford to do that, you probably have no business getting this game in the first place. The only risk, as stated in the post above mine, is in trying to sell these codes for a profit.

Unless you are actively boycotting Amazon or Wal-Mart, you will find something you need to buy at either store. Also, the Wal-Mart eGift card that says it is only for WalMart.com purchases, well just buy a physical gift card for the amount of the eGift card, which is also mailed to you for free.

And what are you 12 years old? OMG, the GameStop employee might confront me about why I want to return an unopened game that I bought? You are well within your rights to return the unopened game for a full refund. If they try to pressure you into keeping the game, tell them to **** off. If you are a pussy and can't talk to people, then yea, don't bother trying to get all these different DLC characters.

I'm pretty sure this website is called Cheap Ass Gamer, not Gamers With A Conscience, or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Well where have you been all my life? Clearly you know it all don't you? I guess it's safe to believe everything every retail store employee says and everything we read on the internet. Try not sounding like a complete twat next time.

with the walmart deal do i get the infected omen skin pack with the controller? I don't plan on picking up the season pass until ive atleast seen the first 2 major dlc's for the game?

[quote name='Royal High Knight']with the walmart deal do i get the infected omen skin pack with the controller? I don't plan on picking up the season pass until ive atleast seen the first 2 major dlc's for the game?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's packaged in the box. Or we can ask this random Maico guy because he knows everything about video games ever, ever.

[quote name='hustletron']Pretty sure it's packaged in the box. Or we can ask this random Maico guy because he knows everything about video games ever, ever.[/QUOTE]

Its in the box I watched an unboxing video on Youtube.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']with the walmart deal do i get the infected omen skin pack with the controller? I don't plan on picking up the season pass until ive atleast seen the first 2 major dlc's for the game?[/QUOTE]

it's packaged inside the controller box.

ok just making sure they send the controller in the box and not somehow just the controller alone. Don't ask me why but I had a feeling Walmart would do that.

[quote name='Trojann']Quick question, If you pre-ordered at Walmart.com do you get the game on release date?[/QUOTE]

Just an educated guess, but I'm sure they have an option to get the game shipped to you on launch day.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Just an educated guess, but I'm sure they have an option to get the game shipped to you on launch day.[/QUOTE]

When I click free shipping it says, 9/27/11 estimated delivery.

I finished up Coalition's End last night. I absolutely HATE where they ended it. Thankfully Karen Traviss is writing a 5th book.

Based on the books, I think GoW3 is going to be a ridiculous amount of fun. Especially if some of the scenes in the game play out like they do in the book...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back