Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

[quote name='The 7th Number']Odd but im not getting retro lancer kills when i do a retro lancer execution (holding Y near the downed enemy)[/QUOTE]

It has been like that since day 1 for all of the weapons. Y button executions count as a generic kill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but it doesnt make sense... you are doing a retro execution, why shouldnt it count?

Anyway... got down to 259 retro kills left to go before gold. Should be able to do that tomorrow.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I'm adamantly against buying any skins, but if you're going to start buying several that's why I'd currently recommend buying the 1800 point pack, since you'll get 90 points back next month.

1710 points for a large selection of weapon skins, both static and animated, is a lot up front, but would probably save people lots of points in the process.[/QUOTE]

I'm not against buying(since I'm never going to unlock them all), but $20+ for skins? And that's a sale? They are out of their fucking minds. Make 'em 800 points and we'll talk.

[quote name='Corvin']I'm not against buying(since I'm never going to unlock them all)...[/QUOTE]
Just in case you didn't know, buying that pack doesn't unlock all of the skins.

Gold, Chrome, Flaming, or any other skins you have to unlock in the War Journal don't unlock from that DLC. It also doesn't include the Liquid Green (Xbox) Skins, if you don't already have them.

if you like weapon skins then pick up the pack. now is a good time to do it. If you're not a fan of weapon skins then you do you! the Thunderstorm skins are nice. I like it better on my rifles. I would say if you have some extra point on hand to pick them up.

Played some Horde last night, finally finished leveling out my Turrets to level 8 so I could unlock the Command Center, then quickly got that leveled up to level 4 to unlock the achievement. Now, I'm only 255 points away from hitting 100,000 gamerscore on my profile. I need to work that to make sure I hit it exactly on the number.

[quote name='DJP519']Played some Horde last night, finally finished leveling out my Turrets to level 8 so I could unlock the Command Center, then quickly got that leveled up to level 4 to unlock the achievement. Now, I'm only 255 points away from hitting 100,000 gamerscore on my profile. I need to work that to make sure I hit it exactly on the number.[/QUOTE]

might want to watch out for games that give the odd gamerscore numbers like 1 and 4...of course you could then just get both.

[quote name='DJP519']Played some Horde last night, finally finished leveling out my Turrets to level 8 so I could unlock the Command Center, then quickly got that leveled up to level 4 to unlock the achievement. Now, I'm only 255 points away from hitting 100,000 gamerscore on my profile. I need to work that to make sure I hit it exactly on the number.[/QUOTE]
Then what will you do, abandon it and start a new tag? :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Then what will you do, abandon it and start a new tag? :lol:[/QUOTE]

me thinks avatar gender change.

[quote name='knightsmith']oh and for all the old school gears fans that want to play Guardian your going to have to give up some M$P[/QUOTE]

That doesnt effect me so much, since i have the season pass. But i play with a few friends that dont have the fenix rising maps, so hopefully they will buy this new one at least. But it makes sense since Jacinto is perfect for guardian, and it comes in this map pack.

Also i just asked on twitter

@quinndelhoyo @PeteNub @GearsViking Will medals like Leader and Abductor work in Guardian, for Killing the leader or Staying alive as leader
Which is great news because those are the only 2 bronze medals i have, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've stopped playing Gears lately... realized I was having more fun trying out "new" games from my backlog than grinding or trying to organize people together for stupid achievements on Gears (most of the newer ones are just dumb, let's be honest). Maybe this new DLC will get me back into it.

Just got gold in Retro, getting me gold in Master at arms and rifle man at the same time. But Gnasher is the only gun ive onyx.

Lancer - 3,473 kills
Hammerburst - 2,000 kills
Retro Lancer - 2,002 kills
Gnasher - 7,078 kills
Sawed-Off - 2,184 kills

okay...so I have 2 xboxes now, mine and my friend's who has a gold XBL account and Gears 3. I have 3 wired controllers so when I'm idling the games shouldn't pause because I need to reconnect.

what's the optimal setup (if you had this) to idle boost while I'm at work?

my xbox 1 controller (+1 bots/insane) vs. his xbox 2 controllers (+ bots/insane)

Trying to onyx a game type.

thanks in advance.

[quote name='100xp']okay...so I have 2 xboxes now, mine and my friend's who has a gold XBL account and Gears 3. I have 3 wired controllers so when I'm idling the games shouldn't pause because I need to reconnect.

what's the optimal setup (if you had this) to idle boost while I'm at work?

my xbox 1 controller (+1 bots/insane) vs. his xbox 2 controllers (+ bots/insane)

Trying to onyx a game type.

thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
just thinking on it. idle boosting a game type using 2 xboxs I really don't see any way that it would help. bc the goal is to get the matches out of the way as fast as you can! so using 2 xboxs I don't see how it would help with idle boosting.
and I don't think that boosting the same account at the same time (one online and one off would work)
now if you wanted to do some of the char.ach. it could help due to you able to have 2 players on each xbox.

[quote name='knightsmith']just thinking on it. idle boosting a game type using 2 xboxs I really don't see any way that it would help. bc the goal is to get the matches out of the way as fast as you can! so using 2 xboxs I don't see how it would help with idle boosting.
and I don't think that boosting the same account at the same time (one online and one off would work)
now if you wanted to do some of the char.ach. it could help due to you able to have 2 players on each xbox.[/QUOTE]

with the theory that, if my friend's xbox has 2 idle controllers and the rest bots and mine has 1 idle controller and +1 bots the matches should go quicker. he doesn't care or need his xbox or gears progression...same guy that gets motion sickeness during roadie run.

so maybe KOTH would work best because 2 ppl would not be contributing ever.

what's the char.ach?

well yes it may make it go by a little faster. give it a try one day just yours 2nd day same game type but with both xboxs see the matches vs hours avg. char.ach. short for characters achievements

[quote name='100xp']what's the optimal setup (if you had this) to idle boost while I'm at work?[/QUOTE]

Having multiple xbox consoles is helpful for only two game modes: TDM and Wingman. In TDM, put all the AFK players on one team and all the bots on the other. Since TDM involves a set stock of lives, the bots should reduce your lives quickly because there is more players to kill. In Wingman, you would want only one team of bots (bot#1 and bot#2 on the same team) vs a bunch of AFKs. With only one team of bots, they don't have to compete for points. With the score limit set to 10 points, the fastest game you can have is two rounds, so you would need the bot team to kill 4-5 AFK players a round.

Can I idle boost Wingman with you? It's takes forever by myself. I have two controllers, so I can sign in a guest account.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Then what will you do, abandon it and start a new tag? :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='100xp']me thinks avatar gender change.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the laugh!

My friend made a joke that you ought to unlock a gold watch accessory for your avatar when you hit 100k, as a retirement gift from achievement-whoring.

Got Captor onyx today, that was more annoying than hard/time consuming. Next one im close to is explosives, about 600-700 away from onyx. I might wait on that one though because that can be done just by playing the game and having fun.

Anyone got some tips for heavy weapons? I remember just getting that to silver was a chore!

hmmm just seen this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSsW6k5pq4

[quote name='The 7th Number']Got Captor onyx today, that was more annoying than hard/time consuming. Next one im close to is explosives, about 600-700 away from onyx. I might wait on that one though because that can be done just by playing the game and having fun.

Anyone got some tips for heavy weapons? I remember just getting that to silver was a chore!

hmmm just seen this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSsW6k5pq4[/QUOTE]
I think it is faster to play TDM on mercy. Change the pistol spawns to Mortar and the weapon on top of the double stair case to mortar. Just keep spamming the mortar into their spawn. Same way to get the 200 long boomshot ribbons.

[quote name='popular penguin']Having multiple xbox consoles is helpful for only two game modes: TDM and Wingman. In TDM, put all the AFK players on one team and all the bots on the other. Since TDM involves a set stock of lives, the bots should reduce your lives quickly because there is more players to kill. In Wingman, you would want only one team of bots (bot#1 and bot#2 on the same team) vs a bunch of AFKs. With only one team of bots, they don't have to compete for points. With the score limit set to 10 points, the fastest game you can have is two rounds, so you would need the bot team to kill 4-5 AFK players a round.

Can I idle boost Wingman with you? It's takes forever by myself. I have two controllers, so I can sign in a guest account.[/QUOTE]

let me see if it's worth the leaving 2 xboxes on before I open the flood gates. if it's efficient, I'll may start doing this if it's not...i'll opt to save on my electric bill running 2 xboxes instead of onyxing a medal or two. hee hee.

[quote name='100xp']let me see if it's worth the leaving 2 xboxes on before I open the flood gates. if it's efficient, I'll may start doing this if it's not...i'll opt to save on my electric bill running 2 xboxes instead of onyxing a medal or two. hee hee.[/QUOTE]

Actually 3 xboxes working together can knock ctl, untouchable, skunker, wins as leader, games played and games won rather quickly. Set up Xbox 1 with guest or dummy profile on controller one, player to get achievements on controller 2. Set up the other two xboxes on the other team so it will be one bot and 4 afaik. Insane bots with 10 second captures. Let it run and you should get through the games quickly. Losing team still gets games played, ctl games played and you could rotate each day until the untouchable and leader ribbons are done. The only thing I can't remember is if you have to play two rounds to get the skunked medal. Edited to add reason for dummy controller on team one is force player 2 to be leader for all games after the first.

[quote name='The 7th Number']who the hell has 3 xboxs, and 3 copies of Gears 3?[/QUOTE]

People were talking about idle boosting over live as a group.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's insane...all to prove what, that it was completed without actually playing and earning it? Lame.[/QUOTE]

ppl are idle boosting and private match boosting already to get medals, i don't see why having multiple xboxes is insane or lame for this specific achievement/goal. it's just one step further ppl can or are willing to go to achieve the same thing.

we're talking about multiple ppl who are already idle boosting doing it cooperatively with other idle boosters so the matchs go quicker and/or more medals can be grinded out...though I bet there are quite a few CAG's that have 3 or more xbox's in their home. Fatboy, Slim, (see what I did there) and special edition ones.

I have 2 xboxes, mine and my friend's who's away and his copy of gears.

For what it's worth, I never idle boosted in Halo. Ever...or Gears 3 yet.

[quote name='kklems']People were talking about idle boosting over live as a group.[/QUOTE]

People already do that. Go to True Achievements and you'll find 10 hour boosting sessions at a time for Gears 3 multiplayer for kills.

Got my 39th Onyx tonight, Sapper. That didnt take long really. Just use 2 controllers on checkout and plant frags where boltock, digger, and nades spawn. You never have to wait for them to respawn and they are close to each other. I got about 146 per 20 min session, since the CTL match would end after 20 minutes.

I guess this weekend is going to be Digger with that custom sniper that fires 4 shots before having to reload. So ill be playing a lot of that, i still need about 700 explosive kills, which the digger does.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Got my 39th Onyx tonight, Sapper. That didnt take long really. Just use 2 controllers on checkout and plant frags where boltock, digger, and nades spawn. You never have to wait for them to respawn and they are close to each other. I got about 146 per 20 min session, since the CTL match would end after 20 minutes.

I guess this weekend is going to be Digger with that custom sniper that fires 4 shots before having to reload. So ill be playing a lot of that, i still need about 700 explosive kills, which the digger does.[/QUOTE]

that's dedication.

[quote name='100xp']ppl are idle boosting and private match boosting already to get medals, i don't see why having multiple xboxes is insane or lame for this specific achievement/goal. it's just one step further ppl can or are willing to go to achieve the same thing.

we're talking about multiple ppl who are already idle boosting doing it cooperatively with other idle boosters so the matchs go quicker and/or more medals can be grinded out...though I bet there are quite a few CAG's that have 3 or more xbox's in their home. Fatboy, Slim, (see what I did there) and special edition ones.

I have 2 xboxes, mine and my friend's who's away and his copy of gears.

For what it's worth, I never idle boosted in Halo. Ever...or Gears 3 yet.[/QUOTE]

I know, I know, its just my opinion. I know some people have OCD when it comes to being completionists, I hear a lot of people being frustrated trying reach X medal or X ribbon, or they waste electricity leaving the X360, seems like too much hard work. Games are supposed to be fun, not a chore, but like I said that's just my opinion, I think its lame, but more power to those who do i guess.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I know, I know, its just my opinion. I know some people have OCD when it comes to being completionists, I hear a lot of people being frustrated trying reach X medal or X ribbon, or they waste electricity leaving the X360, seems like too much hard work. Games are supposed to be fun, not a chore, but like I said that's just my opinion, I think its lame, but more power to those who do i guess.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you. I love achievements and God knows I've done some boosting here and there, but Seriously 3.0 is beyond the pale. I'd love to have it as much as the next guy but there comes a point where life is too short. :lol: I'm going to be vicariously thrilled for the people in this thread when they pop it though!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I know, I know, its just my opinion. I know some people have OCD when it comes to being completionists, I hear a lot of people being frustrated trying reach X medal or X ribbon, or they waste electricity leaving the X360, seems like too much hard work. Games are supposed to be fun, not a chore, but like I said that's just my opinion, I think its lame, but more power to those who do i guess.[/QUOTE]

I haven't set it up yet, I may not have time or motivation enough to do so. I can and probably will at least try and get the kill your nemesis ribbon and the SoS vs. Retrocharger. The only ribbons I need are the ones that are very situational, and I simple don't play enough MP to make those happen often enough. I don't like it, which is why I'm not a fan of idling boost nor have I actually dont it yet.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I agree with you. I love achievements and God knows I've done some boosting here and there, but Seriously 3.0 is beyond the pale. I'd love to have it as much as the next guy but there comes a point where life is too short. :lol: I'm going to be vicariously thrilled for the people in this thread when they pop it though![/QUOTE]

It's funny, if more ppl could coorinate you could probably mop up weapon medals super fast. I've seen videos of ppl playing Infection on Reach and the spartan getting about 900 kills because all his buddies run to the center for him to bash.

Seriously 3.0, cheers to those here that will get it. seriously...that's dedication homes.

@ 7th so that's what you've been doing... I was about to hop in a match with you but ended up watching a movie and playing a lil bit of horde.

Man it sucks to feel good about FINALLY making it to your lvl 90s (first run) but then you pop into a room of nothing but green lvl 85-97. buzz kill

[quote name='knightsmith']@ 7th so that's what you've been doing... I was about to hop in a match with you but ended up watching a movie and playing a lil bit of horde.

Man it sucks to feel good about FINALLY making it to your lvl 90s (first run) but then you pop into a room of nothing but green lvl 85-97. buzz kill[/QUOTE]

If you see me as joinable, then im not boosting, unless i forgot to change it. I boost and play off and on, depending on which friends are online.

[quote name='The 7th Number']awww yeah, 40 onyx medals! Only 25 to go.[/QUOTE]

O . o

I was under the impression you were like 7 onyx medals to go or something.

Didn't get a ribbon for Can you Dig it for some reason, also every game I joined I seemed to be the only one actively trying to kill the other team. scores were like 6/2/3 and everyone else on my team was 0/0/4+ ...for several games. They were either just bad or just wanted credit for the ribbon and didn't even fire a shot. scrubs.

I dont like the digger event, or really the boom-snipes anymore. It just gets annoying when i run out of boom, and im left with snipes, then the enemies respawn with full booms and i get raped because its so easy to kill someone with boom. You dont have to shoot them, just a nearby wall, or the floor. Also the digger is annoying. I can shoot it right at someone and it will go right past them. Other times it pops up and i evade 10 feet away and i still die. Digger snipes sounded like a good idea, because you could use the digger if someone was camping with snipes, but all it really turns into is a bunch of people spaming the digger. I also hate when someone just sits there hard aiming a sniper at me.

[quote name='The 7th Number']awww yeah, 40 onyx medals! Only 25 to go.[/QUOTE]
Really, you're only after 22 more, as 3 are tied to others. If you think about it that way, Seriously 3.0 is even closer.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Really, you're only after 22 more, as 3 are tied to others. If you think about it that way, Seriously 3.0 is even closer.[/QUOTE]

Ahh yeah.. Master at arms, rifle man, and All fathers? I think thats the 3 you are talking about. Even better.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I dont like the digger event, or really the boom-snipes anymore. It just gets annoying when i run out of boom, and im left with snipes, then the enemies respawn with full booms and i get raped because its so easy to kill someone with boom. You dont have to shoot them, just a nearby wall, or the floor. Also the digger is annoying. I can shoot it right at someone and it will go right past them. Other times it pops up and i evade 10 feet away and i still die. Digger snipes sounded like a good idea, because you could use the digger if someone was camping with snipes, but all it really turns into is a bunch of people spaming the digger. I also hate when someone just sits there hard aiming a sniper at me.[/QUOTE]

not a fan either, I get more kills with the sniper rifle and pistol than the digger. they ought to give you 1 digger shot to flush ppl out and then ppl can snipe all they want. still no ribbon either for it.

[quote name='100xp']still no ribbon either for it.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried playing another type of Versus Mode? Sometimes you can get it in other gametypes, instead of the specific one for the ribbon.

I've heard you can even get them sometimes in Public Horde Mode, usually after wave 20, at the score and ribbon screen.

[quote name='100xp']... still no ribbon either for it.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason you don't get a ribbon is because you already have a "can you dig it?" ribbon from an earlier date. And that playlist sucks because everyone camps.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Have you tried playing another type of Versus Mode? Sometimes you can get it in other gametypes, instead of the specific one for the ribbon.

I've heard you can even get them sometimes in Public Horde Mode, usually after wave 20, at the score and ribbon screen.[/QUOTE]

interesting theory, I'll give that a shot tomorrow...as for Public Horde? hahaha...it's a rare occasion to get enough random to stay let alone get to and pass wave 20.

[quote name='popular penguin']I think the reason you don't get a ribbon is because you already have a "can you dig it?" ribbon from an earlier date. And that playlist sucks because everyone camps.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they had a digger event before or if I particpated in one. I remember getting the Sera ribbon for the hearts event before the heart heads actually were spawning. I'll figure out eventually, if not I'm sure I'll get the next epic event.

thanks for the insight.

Turn off your Xbox, let it cool down, and try again. It kinda has to reset your server data before you can get the Ribbon.

Or something like that, it's happened to me because I idle quite a bit.

I thought it would be faster playing 1 player + insane bot vs 2nd player, and get match winner. But i tried it and all the bot does it stand right next to me the whole match. BTW im talking about idle boosting.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I thought it would be faster playing 1 player + insane bot vs 2nd player, and get match winner. But i tried it and all the bot does it stand right next to me the whole match. BTW im talking about idle boosting.[/QUOTE]

Match winner should come on its own even when idle boosting esp KOTH, CTL Over 18k games you are bound to get 4000 wins. I got mine sometime after maxing out warzone.

Might be common knowledge but I discovered the silverback on Rustlung counts for explosive kills and map based weapons kills if people are looking for those medals. (After I had gold in those already :( )

bread's done
Back